Start by marking “Small Town Christmas: Return to Promise / Mail-Order Bride” as Want to Read:
Small Town Christmas: Return to Promise / Mail-Order Bride

Small Town Christmas: Return to Promise / Mail-Order Bride

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  1,641 Ratings  ·  92 Reviews
Promise, Texas, is a good place to live with the person you love. When rancher Cal Patterson and his wife, Jane-better known as Dr. Texas-face a threat to their marriage, she leaves Promise, the town that's become her home as much as his. Will Jane be back by Christmas? Because, for both of them, the greatest gift of all would be her Return to Promise.

Gold River, Alaska, i
Published October 21st 2008 by Mira

To ask other readers questions about Small Town Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Small Town Christmas

Beth Pearson
Dec 14, 2010 Beth Pearson rated it liked it
This is 2 stories in 1 book. The book is called "Small Town Christmas," and the first story in it is
Return to Promise.

This is about a married couple that are having a tough time communicating and keeping their marriage alive and happy.

On a personal note : ) One of the easiest ways to keep a marriage thriving is for the husband to appreciate his wife and give her the praise, gratitude etc. so she knows he is still thrilled to have her. Before all your Dr. Laura fans get fired up, I will be the
Drebbles
Jun 12, 2010 Drebbles rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008
Debbie Macomber's "Small Town Christmas" contains two previously published novels: "Return to Promise" and "Mail-Order Bride".

In "Return to Promise", Cal Patterson and his wife Jane have been happily married for several years. But now a series of events have caused problems in their marriage and Jane leaves Cal, taking their young children with her. Jane's not sure if she can ever trust Cal again, but Cal is willing to do anything he can to have his family together by Christmas.

"Return to Prom
Marianne
May 21, 2012 Marianne rated it really liked it
Return to Promise is the eighth and last Heart of Texas novel by Debbie Macomber and is set a few years after Promise, Texas. Nicole Nelson returns to Promise after leaving town with her friend Jennifer Healy (who had just left Cal Patterson standing at the altar), some ten years previous. As soon as ex-Sheriff Frank Hennessey spots her, he tells his wife Dovie that Nicole is trouble. And he’s right! Even though Nicole seems sweet and friendly, she has her sights set on Cal Patterson, despite hi ...more
Rachael
Oct 30, 2012 Rachael rated it it was amazing
I like to call my Christmas books fluffy reads because they often aren't as serious of subjects as I normally read.
The first book in this two in one book was Return to Promise. It was about a couple in Texas Cal and Jane. Jane's father broke his hip by falling and Jane goes to California to be with her mother. Meanwhile Cal stays home in the fictional town of Promise. Cal and Jane's marriage encounters a huge road bump that could not have a happy ending. Jane leaves her home in Promise. Will she
Marian
May 21, 2012 Marian added it
The premise of Return to Promise was a little predictable, but it was the background details that really drew me into the story. What I love about Debbie Macomber is the way she depicts small town life. There was a lot of interesting dialogue between Cal and his neighbors, family, and friends as they tried to help him sort through his problems.

But back to the premise. The whole problem was lack of communication. Let's be real. Cal and Jane could have sorted out their problems a lot sooner if he
Amelia
Dec 22, 2009 Amelia rated it really liked it
You don't realize how vulnerable your marriage is until little things rock it. Return to Promise reminds you not to make decisions under distress. They are able to overcome their obstacles when they picture their future apart!
Mail-Order Bride is a touching story, filled with grief and unknowns. It was a tearjerker for me as the author portrayed Caroline's feeling very well.
Cathy
Mar 01, 2012 Cathy rated it did not like it
Shelves: christmas
I can't review this because I couldn't bring myself to finish it.
The book is two novellas. I just had to stop almost to the end of the first. I did not care about any of the characters and had no sympathy for their plight: clueless husband and suspicious wife.
I'm not even attempting the second novella.
I'm surprised because I always liked this author's work in the past.
Judy Wise
Aug 12, 2011 Judy Wise rated it really liked it
What a long and loving series this was. The final book is the story of Cal and Jane and where misunderstandings and lack of communication can be a problem in a marriage.
How they find there way just before Christmas is a lovely ending. It also brings out gossip in a small town and how it works.

All in all I recommend this series to all.

Christy
Aug 16, 2010 Christy rated it really liked it
two books in one, first Dr. Jane marries cowboy Cal but Nicole comes to town to try to steal him away.
2nd is girls aunts send her to Alaska as a mail order bride unbeknownst to her. She falls in love with the guy – Paul
Mimi
Dec 10, 2008 Mimi rated it it was ok
I originally thought this book was one story but actually it contained 2 Christmas stories. Light fluffy romance. Sometimes just what you need on a cold rainy day.
Dawn
Dec 24, 2010 Dawn rated it it was ok
I really like DM's style of writing. She is a good storyteller but the conflicts and jealousies were so contrived that I was not sure I wanted to continue - Thank goodness for happy endings!
May 12, 2011 Laura rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance, 2011
The first story was pretty amusing (way to make something out of nothing!) but the second one's premise was so off-putting that I could not finish it.
Kellie Crawford
Oct 30, 2012 Kellie Crawford rated it it was amazing
I totally LOVED the second story called " Mail-Order Bride". What a romantic and heartfelt love story it was.
JaNell
Jan 06, 2009 JaNell rated it liked it
Another light read for the holidays. This had two short stories... the second was much better than the first. Cute & Enjoyable, but no real depth.
Kinga
Dec 19, 2015 Kinga rated it really liked it
Kisvárosi karácsony:

A történet középpontjában egy házaspár áll, két gyerekkel, akik egy texasi kisvárosban élnek.
Jane-nek váratlanul megbetegszik az édesapja, ezért – eredetileg – két hétre elutazik a gyerekekkel az anyukához, hogy a támasza legyen, és mint szakmabeli is segítsen, mivel orvos.
A kisvárosban váratlanul felbukkan Cal első menyasszonyának – aki egykor faképnél hagyta őt az esküvő előtt – a barátnője, Nicole, és rendesen felkavarja az állóvizet. Majdnem 10 év telt el a meghiúsult esk
Anne Marie
Dec 09, 2016 Anne Marie rated it really liked it
This book had two stories. The first, Return to Promise, overall wasn't a Christmas story to me, but I liked that it was about an imperfect couple, Cal and Jane. They live in the small town of Promise, Texas where family and friends are near. Unfortunately, Jane's father, who lives with her mother in California, breaks his hip, and while recovering in the hospital, discovers he has more serious medical problems. So Jane takes her two children to help her mom and be there for her. "Perfect" timin ...more
Patsy
Jun 01, 2016 Patsy rated it liked it

Gold River, Alaska, isn't your average town. After being jilted by her fiancée, Caroline Myers ends up there-thanks to her matchmaking aunts, who
Penny
Jul 29, 2011 Penny rated it liked it
I had read Return to Promise when it was first out and I really enjoy the Texas series.

The Mail-Order Bride was so-so. I thought the beginning was very corny. I didn't believe for a minute that Caroline was drunk enough that she didn't know she was the bride in a wedding ceremony. I also didn't see enough interaction between Caroline and Paul to warrant the change in their relationship. I got very annoyed with Caroline calling Paul "Master". Usually, Debbie has her characters discuss their feeli
Jeanne
Apr 26, 2014 Jeanne rated it really liked it
The first story "Return to Promise" is part of the Texas series. With rancher Cal Patterson and his wife, Jane (aka, Dr. Texas), facing a threat to their marriage. Christmas is coming will she come back to promise and be Cal's best ever present?

The second story is "Mail Order Bride" with Paul Trevor placing an ad for a mail order bride and Caroline Myers' meddling aunts answering the ad without her knowledge and then sending her on an Alaskan vacation. See how it works out just in time for Chri
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Confession: Before I read smutty books without guilt, I had to start small and light. Ms. Macomber is one of the guilty romance books I read without my mother knowing. For me, Ms. Macomber is always a fond memory as she's one of the authors who helped me overcome the stigma of reading romance. Her stories are sweet and wholesome. This dual represents her style. I've moved on to harder drugs romance so I must now say goodbye to author I once loved.
Melissa Simon-felix
Jul 07, 2011 Melissa Simon-felix rated it it was amazing
I loved both stories in this book. The first one, "Return to Promise," shows the struggle between a married couple and a woman who is trying to seduce the husband. Although I enjoyed this story, The second one "Mail-Order-Bride," was the better of the two. I enjoyed everything about it. I loved how the relationship grew between the two main characters, even though the woman was not aware of the marriage because of what her aunts did.
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
You can't go wrong with picking up a book by Debbie Macomber! Especially during her Christmas books. I loved this one. It had 2 heartwarming stories about relationships.

The 2nd story MAIL ORDER BRIDE was more of a romance story. Caroline was getting on my nerves though with her jealousy. (Just wanted to throw that out there!)

I highly recommend this book. It was a fast read and I think all Debbie Macomber readers will definately enjoy it.
Diane Wachter
Feb 26, 2016 Diane Wachter rated it liked it
PB-B @ 2008, 3/09. 2 Stories: Return to Promise @ 2000. A husband and wife who love each other dearly have problems when she must leave him to help her mother with her father's health issues, and a snake wants her husband and does everything in her power to take advantage of the wife's absence. Mail-Order Bride @ 1987. After a broken engagement, 2 great-aunts answer an Alaskan mail-order bride ad for her, and send their niece on a "week-long Alaskan adventure vacation" in October. Good.
Carla
Dec 09, 2010 Carla rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, christmas
This book contains two short Christmas romance novels. The first had some real issues highlighted, which was compelling. It was not a light, fun story, though, which is usually what I'm looking for in a Christmas romance. The second book was also not that light, and the main female character was rather immature and annoying. Some of it was a bit funny, though. Overall, these stories were ok.
Sue
Jun 30, 2012 Sue rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
Lori
Oct 10, 2011 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
I had already read the first in this two part book it was the final book to the Promise Texas series. Mail-order Bride was a very cute and somewhat predictable story. It also had a similar storyline as the mail order marriages series she wrote earlier in that it was a lonely man in Alaska looking for a wife. What I enjoyed was the way that it all came down...
Joanne
Jan 01, 2012 Joanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas-books
Two stories in one

Return to Promise (Texas)
Mail Order Bride (Alaska)

Another 1st read for me by a popular author as I continue reading holiday books for the Christmas season. Typical romance, really enjoyed Mail Order Bride and wanted more!!

Happy endings for a happy festive time of year!
Vicky
Nov 30, 2008 Vicky rated it liked it
ormally I don't read much romance but at Christmastime I enjoy themed stories. The 2 stories in this book were predictable but enjoyable light reading, which with the hustle and bustle of the season, allowed me to sustain my passion for reading without having to think too much.
Rita
Dec 27, 2012 Rita rated it it was amazing
Cal and his ways of life after marriage. I think I would like to visit Promise Texas. Christmas was alot from

Gold River,Alaska. in the Mail-order bride sound cold & rude. 2 aunts intervine to give there niece a vacation in Alaska. but don't tell her why. Ejoy.n
Alicia
Nov 23, 2011 Alicia rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, seasonal
I tried twice before I gave up on this book. I found the plot too predictable and not at all what I was hoping for. It's a shame because I was really hoping this would be another good read by Macomber.
  • Silhouette Christmas Stories: Home for Christmas + Let it Snow + Starbright + Under the Mistletoe
  • Snow Angels
  • The Christmas Angel (Cape Light #6)
  • The Christmas Promise (Christmas Hope, #4)
  • Unwrapping Christmas
  • Christmas Kisses (Mackenzie Family, #4 & Those Manning Men, #5)
  • The Christmas Wish
  • On Strike for Christmas
  • The Light of Christmas
  • An O'Brien Family Christmas (Chesapeake Shores, #8)
  • Home in Time for Christmas
  • Mistletoe and Holly
  • Tidings of Comfort & Joy: A Tender Story of Love, Loss, and Reunion
  • How Mrs. Claus Saved Christmas (The Christmas Chronicles #2)
  • A Very Merry Christmas
  • Once Upon a Christmas: The Most Wonderful Time of the Year/'Twas the Week Before Christmas
  • All I Have to Give: A Christmas Love Story
Debbie Macomber is a #1 New York Times bestselling author and one of today’s most popular writers with more than 200 million copies of her books in print worldwide. In her novels, Macomber brings to life compelling relationships that embrace family and enduring friendships, uplifting her readers with stories of connection and hope. Macomber’s novels have spent over 990 weeks on the New York Times ...more
More about Debbie Macomber...