Start by marking “Supreme Power, Vol. 1: Contact” as Want to Read:
Supreme Power, Vol. 1: Contact

Supreme Power, Vol. 1: Contact (Supreme Power #1)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  1,051 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Babylon 5 creator and Amazing Spider-Man writer J. Michael Stracyznski presents a hard-edged, mature and deeply personal saga of a world about to give birth to its first generation of super heroes! This Mature Readers story follows the origins of these new heroes and anti-heroes including Dr. Spectrum, Nighthawk and the Blur from their birth through adulthood and examines ...more
Published July 1st 2004 by Marvel Comics Group

To ask other readers questions about Supreme Power, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Supreme Power, Vol. 1

Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanBatman by Frank Miller
Required Reading Graphic Novels
470th out of 824 books — 1,566 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Jeph LoebBatman by Alan MooreAbsolute Kingdom Come by Mark Waid
All Time Classic Comics
122nd out of 196 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Bookwraiths
Jan 05, 2016 Bookwraiths rated it really liked it
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths.

The Squadron Supreme has been around for a while in the Marvel Universe, acting as the MU’s alternate dimension “Justice League” whenever a JLA versus Marvel story was written. That changed a great deal in 1985 though; Mark Gruenwald and Bob Hall releasing an extremely thought-provoking 12-issue miniseries entitled Squadron Supreme, where these heroes decide to take over the world in order fix all its problems, resulting in horrible things all around and a lot
Terence
Mar 10, 2016 Terence rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Life on Earth changes forever when a baby crash lands in a Midwest cornfield.

So Supreme Power Contact could easily be called Ma and Pa Kent's nightmare. The story is basically the warning Jonathan and Martha Kent gave Clark every day of his life. If people knew where Clark was from and his powers, people most specifically the government would come for him. That's exactly what happens to the inspecting child who is later named Mark Milton aka Hyperion.
description
The government takes him, provides him parent
Terry
Apr 22, 2013 Terry rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superheroes
3 – 3.5 stars

I guess you could consider J. Michael Straczynski’s _Supreme Power_ the bastard child (or perhaps grandchild) of books like Alan Moore’s Watchmen and Frank Miller’s Batman: The Dark Knight Returns in which the four-colour superheroes of old get a more ‘realistic’ make-over and are shown for the dangerous psychopaths they would all-too-likely be in our world. In this case we have Marvel’s Squadron Supreme coming under the deconstructive microscope. The Squadron is an interesting case
Nicolo Yu
This reader had high hopes for this book, the first volume of Supreme Power, a new take on the seminal Mark Gruenwald work, Squadron Supreme. I remember when this was launched way back; it was hyped tremendously by Wizard Magazine. It took me more than a decade, but when I finally got my copy of this hardcover, it turned out to be mild disappointment.

A mild disappointment would be like I expected this to be a four star read in enjoyment and quality. It ended as a barely three-star book on the st
Travis
Apr 13, 2013 Travis rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic-books
JMS tries to turn a clone/homage/rip off of the Justice League into the Watchmen.
Not a bad idea, but it moves at a snails pace and the heroes don't seem to do much more then not get along with each other and get mistrusted by the government.
Nice art, but after awhile you start wishing a giant robot would attack or something more interesting than the heroes going on about how hard it is to be super powered.

When did it become considered unrealistic to have actual super villains in 'realistic' comi
Jeffrey Jelmeland
I tend to expect a bit more from graphic novels. The writing and artwork were quite good, but in a graphic novel spanning 6 issues I expected a bit more story. By the time we got to the end of this span all we had managed to do was introduce what will presumably be the major characters that will be seen throughout the series. I enjoy getting to know the characters, but I really expected a bit more than just character introductions. Will I look for the following collections? Yes, though I don't k ...more
Shannon Appelcline
JMS's reboot of the Squadron Supreme feels like it's more a reboot of the JLA. I mean, sure, the Squadron was always a Marvel-ization of the JLA, but JMS goes back to those roots. For the most part, this volume is a new take on Superman's origin, except with manipulative parents, a manipulative government, and a child with absolutely terrifying powers.

The book in general is a very Iron Age take on the JLA: dark and gritty. Besides this Hyperion (Superman), we also get a racist Nighthawk (Batman)
Melissa
Dec 31, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it
First off: I have the individual issues that make up this volume (and plenty past it). So, keep in mind that I'm reviewing the story more than this particular volume. I'm not sure how the content differs between the individual issues and the volume.

This story is playing with the tropes within the superhero world. Taking jabs at popular characters from DC and Marvel while doing so. Which I found fairly delightful.

I like the storyline (obviously since I bought so many issues). And do enjoy the d
Yuhuai
Feb 07, 2016 Yuhuai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-bookshelf
One of the best Superman stories I've read. The plot may move along slowly to some, but it serves an important purpose in this story. The various tropes commonly found in Superman stories - the paranoia of the government, collective public suspicion of superpowers, civil authority as easily abusable, and so on - are given elaborate and satisfying treatment here. Where in regular stories such tropes are hurriedly developed (and over the course of a single story forgotten after a giant battle with ...more
Fantasy Literature
Jan 22, 2015 Fantasy Literature rated it really liked it
I guess you could consider J. Michael Straczynski’s Supreme Power the bastard child (or perhaps grandchild) of books like Alan Moore’s Watchmen and Frank Miller’s Batman: The Dark Knight Returns in which the four-colour superheroes of old get a more ‘realistic’ make-over and are shown for the dangerous psychopaths they would all-too-likely be in our world. In this case we have Marvel’s Squadron Supreme coming under the deconstructive microscope. The Squadron is an interesting case even without t ...more
Joe Young
Apr 09, 2014 Joe Young rated it really liked it
J. Michael Straczynski - writer
Gary Frank - artist

Not so long ago, in a not-so-distant land, Marvel Comics published "adult" books under the label "Max comics." These comics were written for adults, portrayed mature situations, expressed interesting and new ideas, and featured realistic adult dialogue and exciting action.

One of the books published under the "Max comics" label was "Supreme Power" - basically, Marvel's take on the Superman myth. Written by J. Michael Straczynski with excellent art
Denis Ryan
Jun 12, 2015 Denis Ryan rated it it was amazing
This is the first in a trilogy, covering the full story of a select group of gifted humans as they grow from super-powered children into adults. Book One is incredible, filled with really clever ideas, plot twists, characters and concepts. But it's only part of the story, and Books 2 and 3 get progressively more baring and mundane, to the point that the climax of Book 3 is just plain stupid. It's hard to recommend this to anyone, because you will be disappointed.

So much potential in this, all w
Mary Overton
The original vol. 1:
During the Carter administration, an alien space craft crashes on earth ... with a foundling inside.
Carter gives the order that begins the top secret Hyperion Project.

"It's the law of this country that children orphaned without next of kin are to be wards of the state. I see no reason to make an exception in this case.
"He's a child of the United States.
"See to it he's raised like one."

The original vol. 2:
Mark Milton, boy alien and the reason for the top secret Hyperion Projec
Ben
Jan 01, 2009 Ben rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: comic enthusiasts
We learn from the introduction that this is a rewrite of an older, seminal comic series. The writer points out that the original influenced many important comics, including Watchmen.

The problem with this new book, especially read immediately after Watchmen, is that the influence has turned around and gone back the other way.

Don't get me wrong. The writing is good, and in this first volume, some really cool threads are built up delivered to a classic cliff-hanger, pretty much ensuring that I'll r
Gregory Dilcox
Mar 04, 2015 Gregory Dilcox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great look at what would happen if a Superman like creator was raised by the government instead of loving parents. Various origins of a such a character have been explored by many writings and companies. I'm partial to this one because I love the Batman esque character motivated by race, and a young speedster with corporate sponsors. I always enjoy Straczynski, this graphic held true to that.
Timothy Boyd
Feb 06, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it it was amazing
What if power corrupted a superhero, or the government decided to manipulate superheroes to their own use. Straczynski does a fantastic job telling the stories these questions pose. Well above average art and exceptional story and characters make these pure please to read. High recommended
Dave
Nov 16, 2011 Dave rated it really liked it
Jdetrick
This reimagining of the characters from Squadron Supreme didn't thrill me, mostly because I find it to be too cynical and violent for my tastes. That being said, this first volume isn't too cynical yet, and it's got some gorgeous art and is very well written.
James Anderson
Jun 30, 2014 James Anderson rated it liked it
This was fine. Almost felt like a "what if?" Series for a whole team. But bringing do characters over and tweaking their origin story. I enjoyed it while I read it but don't really feel the need to seek out Vol 2
Andrew Obrigewitsch
Jul 12, 2016 Andrew Obrigewitsch rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This is basically marvel versions of Superman, Batman and the Flash. And honestly I like Marvel's version of superman better. Good read Can't wait to pick up the next one.
Matej
Aug 08, 2015 Matej rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first volume of Supreme Power collects first six issues that were published in 2003-2004.
The plot is intriguing, it is slow paced in the beginning, but it picks up, and I really like the more mature and more realistic take on these suspiciously familiar superheroes.
The art and the coloring looks great, but it is a bit overshadowed by amazing panel layouts.
All in all, this is a promising first volume that should appeal to all superhero fans.
Ondra Král
Jul 25, 2014 Ondra Král rated it it was ok
JMS a jeho realistický superhrdinský komiks, aneb co by se nejspíš stalo, kdyby sem fakt přiletěl Superman. Bohužel těžká nuda. Nemít to jako book, dávno bych to vzdal.
Aff
May 17, 2012 Aff rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Very intriguing criticism or take on an alternate compositional Justice League with similar concerns and premises but taken in a different way. However, I was very disappointed with the treatment of Princess Zarda whose storyline, goals and aims largely revolves around Hyperion. It's possible that in later volumes she is explored further, but her satellite narrative, sense of objectification, and preoccupation with her body's presentation irritated me. That said, other characters, particularly M ...more
Ross Vincent
May 01, 2016 Ross Vincent added it
Shelves: default
This novel helps to relaunch the world of Squadron Supreme in a universe much like the "Ultimate" series did for Spiderman, Avengers, X-men, Fantastic Four, etc. Having characters who's powers (and origins) close match their counterparts from DC, this book looks at the lives of 3 of the main characters- Hyperion, Blur, and Nighthawk.

Fair Warning- this is NOT for children or young teens- this is not the comics books of Superman, Batman or Flash. These are adults heroes, in an adult world of viol
Kennis
Sep 03, 2009 Kennis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Of all the comics I've read to date, this is the most "realistic" so far (as in, it seems to take place in the real world, our world). It raise some interesting questions about what our actions might be in the sudden existence of "super-beings." How would we, our government, our society, react? What would be the consequences of those actions? In that regard, it is very similar to Watchmen - though the story isn't as good as Watchmen, I would still recommend Supreme Power. I'm definitely looking ...more
Tym
This was very enjoyable, reminiscent of Mark Millar's Ultimates, this series re-imagines the Squadron Supreme in a real world setting. For those not familiar with teh Squadron Supreme fear not, they a merely a pastiche of everyone's favorite DC characters the Justice League. Imagine if Clark Kent(Superman) landed in that Kansas field and was found by a farming couple, it wouldn't be long before government investigators discovered the truth, as they do here. Get ready for your expectations to be ...more
Miss Michael
Jun 03, 2008 Miss Michael rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: comic book readers.
In a sense, I like this book because it's Marvel's take on the JLA, set in the "real" world. It's nice to think about how people would actually react to a bona fide superhero. I think that part is neat. But the story is a little slow, and not as cohesive as I think it could be. Further, the art is really inconsistent. I just find it intolerable. Overall, a bit meh.
Brian
Feb 02, 2008 Brian rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
interesting story that puts a realistic(?) spin on the superman origin: what if the govt had stepped in and confiscated an alien child after it crashed on our planet. There's also a bigger picture forming, with a 'flash' speedster and a dark knight vigilante. I'll definitely keep reading this series.
James
Apr 10, 2010 James rated it really liked it
Interesting re-imagining of Squadron Supreme (was it a blatant JLA ripoff?). Dark, very dark. The heroes aren't necessarily admirable characters, but they are compelling. Good artwork, and I really liked the intentional omission of internal monologues.
James
Mar 18, 2010 James rated it really liked it
Interesting take on squadron supreme and the superhero mythos. More realistic and gritty. Really like it, but I'm going to get the rest of them from the library I think and sell this copy back to powell's. God bless the library.
  • Squadron Supreme
  • Invincible, Vol. 5: The Facts of Life
  • Irredeemable, Vol. 2
  • Astro City, Vol. 8: Shining Stars
  • Powers, Vol. 8: Legends
  • The Ultimates 2, Vol. 1: Gods and Monsters
  • Agents of Atlas
  • Ultimate Galactus Trilogy (Hardcover)
  • The Marvels Project
  • The Losers, Vol. 3: Trifecta
  • Marvel Boy
Joseph Michael Straczynski (born July 17, 1954), known professionally as J. Michael Straczynski and informally as Joe Straczynski or JMS, is an American writer and television producer. He works in films, television series, novels, short stories, comic books, and radio dramas. He is a playwright, a former journalist, and author of The Complete Book of Scriptwriting. He was the creator and showrunne ...more
More about J. Michael Straczynski...

Supreme Power (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Supreme Power, Vol. 2: Powers and Principalities