Start by marking “The Very Ugly Bug” as Want to Read:
The Very Ugly Bug

The Very Ugly Bug

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  89 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
There once was a very ugly bug, with spotted legs, googly eyes and a horrible hairy back. She wonders why her friends have pretty small eyes, shiny green backs, or nice fluttery wings. The ugly bug thought that if she looked like her friends, then she would be more beautiful. So she made herself a disguise. But her new costume made her even tastier looking to the birds! Wh ...more
Published January 3rd 2005 by Tiger Tales (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Very Ugly Bug, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Very Ugly Bug

Slayermel
Jan 28, 2015 Slayermel rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Parents of young children and Preschool Teachers
This book was so cute and endeared itself to me from the first page. The very Ugly Bug admires all the other bugs and the reasons of why they are made the way they are with tiny eyes opposed to her big googly eyes, their smooth backs opposed to her hairy back and their wings to fly into the sky. She decides that she wants to have talents like them to avoid the birds as well, as she can't seem to figure out what makes her so special. Her talents are soon revealed though when a bird flies in for a ...more
Aprils
Jun 22, 2013 Aprils rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book used the word "ugly" many times to describe the female main character. I don't think that it's good to use that word in a children's book because it encourages children to categorize people as either "ugly" or "appealing." I don't like that binary opposition. I think that children should be encouraged to celebrate all kinds of life and all of the forms that life can take. Also, the ending, in which she finds a male bug to validate her, leads readers to think that a female character can ...more
Aleece
Sep 19, 2013 Aleece rated it really liked it
The very ugly bug begins to ask the other bugs why she doesn’t look like them. Each bug says why a specific feature is different and what it is used for (camouflage) so they don’t get eaten by birds. Soon the very ugly bug makes a costume to make it look like a combination of the three bugs. However it makes it more appealing to the bird. When the very ugly bug is scared its disguise falls off and scares the bird away.

A cute story about accepting yourself and finding the good qualities that you
Miss Sarah
May 20, 2015 Miss Sarah rated it it was ok
about a bug who everyone thinks is ugly until she saves the day. Cute and a great message for kids.
Alice
Dec 09, 2014 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars
This is a great book about discovering difference and realizing that different doesn't mean better or worse, it just means different.
The Ugly Bug is different from every other bug, but what we learn is that the small or googly eyes and other features of a bug, are defensive mechanism...and being Ugly can scare the predators are away.
I like the illustrations, I like the story, this is a good one!
Chloe
Nov 16, 2013 Chloe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids, anyone really
Shelves: recommended, funny
A funny book that people of any age will enjoy.

The Very Ugly Bug is sick of standing out. While all her friends are camouflaged, to hide from birds, the VUB sticks out like a spot on a model's nose. It makes her very clear to any predators that may want to eat her.

A hilarious book with a good message. Kids will love it :-)
Stefani
Jun 05, 2008 Stefani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: upper preschool, gradeschool
Shelves: read-picture
The Very Ugly Bug wants to be conform to the beauty of her friends. In the end, it is her uniqueness that saves her life. A cute story with the moral that being yourself is best. The illustrations are clear and colorful, with fun text bubbles to add personality to the bugs.
Marilyn
Dec 13, 2011 Marilyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations look fabulous. The text looks appealing and the colours stupendous. Can't wait to finish it and put it on my blog. Looks like a real kid-pleaser and a keeper for the collection.
Finished it. over it. Recommend it highly.
Cat
Apr 17, 2007 Cat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
A cute story about a ugly bug and her quest to conform. Fortunetly she quickly discovers her uniqueness is her best asset. A funny tale of the woes of ugliness. A great read-aloud that is sure to make you laugh.
Felicia
This is a great book about adaptations and being yourself. This book is so good that I was laughing the frist time I read it out loud that I almost couldn't finish it. The kids loved it to.
Frank
Nov 13, 2008 Frank rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must have done a good job of picking books this week, because it seems Frank liked them all...

This book is pretty cool. Frank liked the bugs a lot, especially the bugs disguise.
Amber
Nov 03, 2009 Amber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was apprehensive about this book as it uses the word "ugly" so often, but it is about bugs, my son's favorite, so thought we'd try it. Glad we did. Cute moral.
Cindy
Aug 19, 2011 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review, childrens
An incredibly funny book that teaches a very valuable lesson of love who you are and don't try to be someone that you are not.
Sleeping Beauty
Aug 23, 2008 Sleeping Beauty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chelsea Weide
Sep 24, 2013 Chelsea Weide rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book to teach that everyone is perfect the way they are. Could defiantly use in the classroom in many different ways.
Kristie
Apr 08, 2008 Kristie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bugs
A cute celebration of ugliness! Most appropriate for older preschools, probably too much for toddlers.
Beverly
Sep 19, 2010 Beverly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-g-owns
This book has great pacing and keeps my three year old on the edge of her seat over and over again.
Tawny
Feb 19, 2010 Tawny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very cute story about how we are all different for a reason! My preschoolers will love it!
Abby
May 08, 2012 Abby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
My kids love this book - very cute story.
Lizettes Escarpita
Funny, short, and easy to read novel!
Carrie
Anne
Anne added it
Dec 07, 2015
Jennifer Nelson
Jennifer Nelson rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2015
Renee
Renee added it
Aug 30, 2015
Kate McGowan
Kate McGowan rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2015
Leah
Leah rated it did not like it
Jul 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
L. Pichon says that when she was little, she loved to draw, and her mom said she was very good at making a mess (this is still true today). She kept drawing, went to art school, became a designer and art director at Jive Records, and began to publish children’s books. After its publication in the U.K., The Brilliant World of Tom Gates won several prestigious awards, including the Roald Dahl Funny ...more
More about Liz Pichon...