Start by marking “Secret Spaces of Childhood” as Want to Read:
Secret Spaces of Childhood

Secret Spaces of Childhood

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  10 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Whether it's real or imaginary, every child has a secret space, and this remarkable book explores them all. For some it's a treehouse or a hidden spot beneath a bush; for others it's a private psychic refuge--a favorite book, or a dollhouse that becomes a stage for a young imagination. As the more than four dozen pieces collected here reveal, such spaces play a key role in ...more
Published September 10th 2003 by University of Michigan Press

To ask other readers questions about Secret Spaces of Childhood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret Spaces of Childhood

Akilah
I read this for class. I liked quite a few of the reflections on secret spaces, but a lot were really boring/dense/uninteresting. The introduction was a chore to get through. I knew what she was talking about, but it seemed to be all over the place. And the last story was awful. Really not a good note to end on at all.
Jody Rambo
this book has left me a little obsessed with the desire to get my children playing outdoors everyday. with a backyard the size of a tennis court, we're planning "secret spaces" upwards, dreaming of treehouses, and three-story forts.(question is, will i let them play in it or want it to myself.)
Annie
Aug 02, 2010 Annie added it
I loved this book when I read it several years ago so I'm pulling it back out as I think about my own and my kids' secret spaces. Goodenough compiled essays, photos, and poetry commemorating those hidden secret places where some of the magic of childhood takes place.
Elizabeth
I love this book!
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Julia
Julia is currently reading it
Feb 18, 2014
Elise
Elise marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2013
Uber Dove
Uber Dove marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2013
Nina
Nina added it
Sep 21, 2013
Will
Will added it
Jan 31, 2013
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2012
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2012
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2012
Robert
Robert added it
Jan 30, 2012
Unit 5
Unit 5 added it
Jan 14, 2012
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2011
Kym
Kym marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2010
Carey
Carey marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2010
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2008
A Place for Play: A Companion Volume to the Michigan Television Film "Where Do the Children Play?" Where Do The Children Play?: A Study Guide to the Film