Start by marking “The Storm” as Want to Read:
The Storm

The Storm

3.61  ·  Rating Details ·  2,157 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
KATERINA. Yes, I am well.... It would be better if I were ill, it's worse as it is. A dream keeps creeping into my mind, and I cannot get away from it. I try to think--I can't collect my thoughts, I try to pray--but I can't get free by prayer. My lips murmur the words but my heart is far away; as though the evil one were whispering in my ear, and always of such wicked thin ...more
Published November 3rd 2006 by Hard Press (first published 1859)

To ask other readers questions about The Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Storm

Hend

a social melodrama and a tragic love story….

Katrina, married to a mama’s boy Tikhon–(I wander they existed in the seventeenth century it seems that they were always there)

KABANOVA ( the worst mother-in-law ever )destroyed their relationship.drive her at the end to commit suicide to escape her miserable and unbearable life….
Katrina has alove affair with Boris, a young man ,his uncle, controls his inheritance.....
she confess committing adultery to her husband infront of his mother
her feeling of g
Elizabeth (Alaska)
Another whim to satisfy a task in this season's challenge, though I had not heard of it before. I rarely do that, finding more books than I can read that I already have on my shelves. I knew nothing about it beforehand. (I did not even realize it is a play, which I rarely read!) But I was intrigued, and I'm not sorry to have picked this up.

It has an introduction, which was very helpful. It is a revelation of the old-fashioned Muscovite life from the inside, and Ostrovsky thereby brings us in clo
Jaime
Jul 12, 2014 Jaime rated it liked it
I think this would be wonderful to watch.

And actually, I am confused that it hasn't yet been adapted by Hollywood - it is clean in its presentation. I can almost feel a film student in LA picking it up and getting excited: THIS IS HOW I CAN MAKE MY MILLIONS. With Keira Knightley as Katya, of course. Maybe Judi Dench as Kabanikha. Tikhon...hmm. You know, I think Alexander Skarsgard could pull him off, based on the versatility he showed in What Maisie Knew.

Where was I.

Okay. You can also feel the
TAB
Jul 17, 2014 TAB rated it liked it
Great story, obvious foreshadowing so much so that it makes you think it actually might not happen, but then of course it does. And no I don't mean the storm, that is obviously gonna happen. Hit kinda close to home on the spousal-matronal relations, but it's nice to get an idea of what it could have been like or at least see the ways that I know it wasn't and be thankful for that.
Namrirru
Jul 12, 2007 Namrirru rated it really liked it
Shelves: russian
Who would have guessed a wealthy merchant and old widow could be so evil? They torment the people around them because they can. They have the money, power, and sadistic taste for it. The patriarch gets high on verbal abuse and violence, the matriarch with emotial and social manipulation. Together, they make the lives of their wards a living hell.
Amina Sadr
Feb 16, 2017 Amina Sadr rated it it was amazing
For me the central character of this play is Kabanova, not Katerina. Kabanova represents an entire culture, entire layer of population, and indeed some parts of the play point to the fact that she is not alone. She is deeply religious, as she thinks; she takes pride in multitude of her prayers, she believes she is a moralist and a custodian of the right ways, yet her true reality is satanic, poisonous, deadly to anyone around her. Ostrovsky shows a class of people who have drowned in the darknes ...more
Arina
Nov 05, 2016 Arina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ничем меня не зацепила эта пьеса. Катерина - бесхарактерная глупая девушка, хотя, может, такое поведение было нормальным в то время. Это произведение могло понравиться читателю во времена Островского, но мне оно совершенно непонятно.
Ksenia Pleskach
3 из 5. Ничего не ожидала от данной пьесы и тем лучше. К сожалению, не понравился ни один персонаж, ну может Варвара только.
Aiabata Seiya
Oct 02, 2013 Aiabata Seiya rated it liked it
1. PENGUIN READERS, Level 2
I couldn't find the book I read,so I chosen the same title book to write a review. Sorry.
2. 85 minutes
3. storm, new, baby, angry, unhappy, fetch ,doctor
4.If you are a doctor, what do you want to do?
I want to save children who are suffering from starving in Africa.
5. this book is easy enough to understand. Given it that this book is the best I have ever read. However, I don't like this story so much.
I symphasize with Tessa because she had to take the boat across to Inve
Jihad Elfiki
Jan 26, 2014 Jihad Elfiki rated it it was ok
فيها تركيبة كده محسوسة أكثر منها موصوفة , فكرة معيارية كون أسبقية التقدم فى السن دليل على حسن التصرف والفهم أو تقدير الأمور أو تحكم محددات الزمن الراحل بالزمن القادم بحكم التجربة وسبق الإختبار ,, كل هذا لا يُنفى فى مطلقه ولكنه على إطلاقه أيضا غير صحيح .. لكل زمن تجربة يجب أن تكون مختلفة أو جديدة إلى حد ما حتى نتنحى قليلا عن الدائرة الجوفاء التى لا نمل الدوران فيها
فكرة الخوف الطاغى من الخطيئة ورغم هذا نخطىء فالخوف فى حد ذاته ليس رادع ,,
Joonas
Aug 15, 2013 Joonas rated it liked it
Pärast Tom Stoppardi "Utoopia ranniku" I osa lugemist, jäi Ostrovski näidend lahjaks ja lihtsakoeliseks. Loo seisukohalt kõigiti klassikalise näidendi keelekasutus pani küll mõtlema, kas see ehk liialt kontraste klassika mõõdupuuga ei tekita. Ent siinkohal võib süü peituda ka eestikeelses tõlkes, mis tundus hetkiti kuidagi lohakas ja sündmustikule mittesobivalt argine.
Marina Sinelnikova
Яркая, живая и пугающая бытовая драма. Не могла не думать о том, насколько Катерина на самом деле плоть от плоти этого мира и как мало ей надо было для счастья (и насколько она, по сути, ничего не могла сделать кроме того, что сделала: Борис мог что-то менять, Тихон мог, она - нет).
Nadya Tsech
Я всегда помнила «Грозу», как одно из моих любимх произведений из школьной программы.
К сожалению, мнение изменилось после того, как я ее перечитала в 25. Перечитаю в 35 посмотрим, нет ли закономерности.
Eadweard
Jun 22, 2013 Eadweard rated it liked it
Decent play.
Sonny Mitchell
The end is so depressive...
Nikolay Berezikov
Остросюжетная пьеса. Идеальные диалоги.
Tanya
Apr 03, 2016 Tanya rated it it was ok
2.5
Daria Glukhova
Daria Glukhova rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2015
Mosia
Mosia rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Dmitri Shugaev
Dmitri Shugaev rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2012
El Mehdi
El Mehdi rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2013
Alena Naiden
Alena Naiden rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2015
Maria
Maria rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2011
Julia Pogodina
Julia Pogodina rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2014
Jelena
Jelena rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2012
Olga Lobanova
Olga Lobanova rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2014
Polina Popova
Polina Popova rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2012
Tati
Tati rated it it was ok
Mar 23, 2017
Olga
Olga rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2016
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2016
  • Inspector and Other Plays
  • Тёмные аллеи
  • Cursed Days: Diary of a Revolution
  • Иуда Искариот
Александр Николаевич Островский русский драматург, творчество которого стало важнейшим этапом развития русского национального театра. Член-корреспондент Петербургской Академии наук.

Alexander Nikolayevich Ostrovsky. Russian playwright, generally considered the greatest representative of the Russian realistic period
More about Alexander Ostrovsky...