Start by marking “A Darkness in My Soul” as Want to Read:
A Darkness in My Soul

A Darkness in My Soul

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Although he was the first successful product of the Artificial Creation laboratory - the government workshop for the production of new talents by tampering with the genes of the unborn, Simeon Kelly would work for them only under compulsion. And the compulsion the generals applied to get him to probe the mind of the thing called Child had to be the greatest.

Because Child
Mass Market Paperback, 124 pages
Published June 1st 1972 by Daw Books (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about A Darkness in My Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Darkness in My Soul

Derek Hansen
All of these old sci-fi era Koontz books are just embarrassingly badly parsed, like Twilight levels of exposition.
Carl Bittencourt-Robson
Superman – or Supermonster?

That’s the tagline to this book.

In my honest opinion this is not one of his best books, but it is one of his earlier ones.

FYI this is a 2 minute review. Aka it took 2 minutes to write. Anything more would have been a waste.

The main character Simeon Kelly was created artificially in a laboratory as an experiment to aid the military. He mostly manages to live as his own man, but when they call he is obliged to answer, albeit extremely reluctantly. He can telepathically e
Steve Parcell
Simeon Kelly is the anti hero of a modern Frankenstein type piece and very entertaining it is too. Child becomes all encompassing evil and what Kelly has to do to stop it smacks a little of classics such as Frankenstein but works very well.
Al

Superman - or Supermonster? Although he was the first successful product of the Artificial Creation laboratory - the government workshop for the production of new talents by tampering with the genes of the unborn - Simeon Kelly would work for them only under compulsion. And the compulsion the generals applied to get him to probe the mind of the thing called Child had to be the greatest. Because Child was anything but that. In that incredibly monstrous infant appeared to be the potential for whol

Jak
Lysergius
Simeon Kelly is an artificial man, grown in a tank by scientists with the express aim of creating a mutant useful to the military. Kept out of their hands by a combination of luck and law, the reluctant Kelly is however still at their command when it matters. Brought in to telepathically scan the mind of a warped, child-like genius, Kelly discovers that the gaps between man, superman, god and supermonster are not so vast after all ...
Mary
Early book by Koontz. Good story, characters. Strange mixture of sci-fi, humor, love, war and world politics, spirituality in "future"1994 if I remember correctly. Younger Koontz has only gotten better at honing his craft. Fun to see glimpses of the many kinds of books he has written over the years in this story. As always, Dean Koontz never lets me down.
Kim Dallmeier
Jul 05, 2011 Kim Dallmeier rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci Fi Fans
This was the novel version of a short story Koontz had once written. I enjoyed the how the story went full-Circle in the end and thought it was quite good as a 70's sci-fi.
Brie
I was rather surprised by this. It was a quick read. It was fairly sci-fi. And while I didn't really connect with Simeon Kelly I don't think he cared.
Josh
wow! wonderful quick read
Nicholas
Nicholas is currently reading it
Feb 23, 2015
Jessica Arnold
Jessica Arnold marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Ronni Wood
Ronni Wood marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
tracy harrison
tracy harrison marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Heidi Krebs
Heidi Krebs marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Telefotoguy
Telefotoguy marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Roman Sailsbury
Roman Sailsbury marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Colleen McGee
Colleen McGee marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Cindy Doty
Cindy Doty marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
  • Children of the Storm
  • Surrounded (Tucker Series, Book 2)
  • Nightmare Journey
  • Dragonfly
  • Invasion (Laser Books, #9)
  • Nevermore
  • Our Lady Of Darkness
  • Silver Screen
  • Wine of the Dreamers

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz...
Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) Watchers Intensity Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2) Phantoms