Start by marking “A Darkness in My Soul” as Want to Read:
A Darkness in My Soul

A Darkness in My Soul

Although he was the first successful product of the Artificial Creation laboratory - the government workshop for the production of new talents by tampering with the genes of the unborn, Simeon Kelly would work for them only under compulsion. And the compulsion the generals applied to get him to probe the mind of the thing called Child had to be the greatest.

Because Child
Mass Market Paperback, 124 pages
Published June 1st 1972 by Daw Books (first published 1972)

Derek Hansen
Sep 18, 2012 Derek Hansen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
All of these old sci-fi era Koontz books are just embarrassingly badly parsed, like Twilight levels of exposition.
Simon Gelling
Boring at first.Got a bit better later on
Carl Bittencourt-Robson
Superman – or Supermonster?

That’s the tagline to this book.

In my honest opinion this is not one of his best books, but it is one of his earlier ones.

FYI this is a 2 minute review. Aka it took 2 minutes to write. Anything more would have been a waste.

The main character Simeon Kelly was created artificially in a laboratory as an experiment to aid the military. He mostly manages to live as his own man, but when they call he is obliged to answer, albeit extremely reluctantly. He can telepathically e
Al
Feb 07, 2013 Al rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Superman - or Supermonster? Although he was the first successful product of the Artificial Creation laboratory - the government workshop for the production of new talents by tampering with the genes of the unborn - Simeon Kelly would work for them only under compulsion. And the compulsion the generals applied to get him to probe the mind of the thing called Child had to be the greatest. Because Child was anything but that. In that incredibly monstrous infant appeared to be the potential for whol

Jak
Oct 02, 2009 Jak rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jewelee Owings
Aug 31, 2016 Jewelee Owings rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the worst Dean Koontz books I've ever read. First of all, it was boring. It took me a long time to read it, cuz I just couldn't get into it. It seemed there was a lot of rambling off subject for 3 or 4 pages at a time, til I forgot what was going on by the time it got back to the main point. I kept reading, hoping it would make a interesting turn, which it did toward the end...but it was just disappointing.
Lysergius
Simeon Kelly is an artificial man, grown in a tank by scientists with the express aim of creating a mutant useful to the military. Kept out of their hands by a combination of luck and law, the reluctant Kelly is however still at their command when it matters. Brought in to telepathically scan the mind of a warped, child-like genius, Kelly discovers that the gaps between man, superman, god and supermonster are not so vast after all ...
Mary
Sep 25, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: koontz, adventure
Early book by Koontz. Good story, characters. Strange mixture of sci-fi, humor, love, war and world politics, spirituality in "future"1994 if I remember correctly. Younger Koontz has only gotten better at honing his craft. Fun to see glimpses of the many kinds of books he has written over the years in this story. As always, Dean Koontz never lets me down.
Stephen Marquez
Nov 26, 2015 Stephen Marquez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent story and not at all what I expected from the author. I am a fan and that is why I picked it up. Glad I did. It had a good pace and an unusual story line dealing in sci-fi and religion. The insanity line was excellent and food for thought.
Steve Parcell
Simeon Kelly is the anti hero of a modern Frankenstein type piece and very entertaining it is too. Child becomes all encompassing evil and what Kelly has to do to stop it smacks a little of classics such as Frankenstein but works very well.
Kim Dallmeier
Jul 05, 2011 Kim Dallmeier rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci Fi Fans
This was the novel version of a short story Koontz had once written. I enjoyed the how the story went full-Circle in the end and thought it was quite good as a 70's sci-fi.
Nicholas
Decent story, could have been cut down about 20%. Didn't have any sympathetic characters who I actually hated and wanted to see dead, which puts it above the last few books I've read.
Veronica
Bizarre, just bizarre. I'm glad Koontz now writes supernatural fiction stuff. This one just hurt my head.
BriAnna
Oct 19, 2012 BriAnna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I was rather surprised by this. It was a quick read. It was fairly sci-fi. And while I didn't really connect with Simeon Kelly I don't think he cared.
Richard
Richard rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2013
Nadya
Nadya rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Mokkie Hamrer
Mokkie Hamrer rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2015
Mindy Wolfle
Mindy Wolfle rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2014
Andrea Mastrangelo
Andrea Mastrangelo rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2014
Judy Melvin
Judy Melvin rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2015
Sarah rated it it was ok
Sep 14, 2016
Will
Will rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2015
Concha
Concha rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2014
Nikos
Nikos rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2013
Lori Bowman
Lori Bowman rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2014
Andy Anderson
Andy Anderson rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2011
Jennifer Akers-clark
Jennifer Akers-clark rated it did not like it
Feb 13, 2014
Mikhail Pervushin
Mikhail Pervushin rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2014
Tess Taylor
Tess Taylor rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2012
Neha
Neha rated it liked it
May 26, 2012
  • The Dark Symphony
  • Children of the Storm
  • Blood Risk (Tucker Series, #1)
  • Dragonfly
  • Invasion
  • Nevermore
  • Life Is Good: Lessons in Joyful Living
  • Beautiful Death: Art of the Cemetery
  • Six Stories
  • Dean Koontz: A Writer's Biography
Librarian's Note: This author writes under the name Dean R. Koontz and Dean Koontz. As both names appear on his works, both should be kept.

Acknowledged as "America's most popular suspense novelist" (Rolling Stone) and as one of today's most celebrated and successful writers, Dean Ray Koontz has earned the devotion of millions of readers around the world and the praise of critics everywhere for tal
More about Dean R. Koontz...