More Than Guided Reading

More Than Guided Reading

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Is there too much emphasis on guided reading in primary classrooms? It's a question that many educators, like kindergarten teacher and literacy coach Cathy Mere, are starting to ask.

Guided reading provides opportunities to teach students the strategies they need to learn how to read increasingly challenging texts, but Cathy found that she needed to find other ways to help...more
Published January 1st 2005 by Stenhouse Publishers

Nicole C
Thank you for this book! After several years of rethinking the purpose and usefulness of guided reading in the classroom, finally someone has written a clear and concise argument against guided reading as the "be all end all" of the literacy classroom. It is all about balance and doing what is best for children. Guided reading isn't the answer, but rather a small part of literacy instruction that works for some children, not all. Children must be able to choose texts to read independently and be...more
Laura Komos
Cathy's book is a MUST READ for anyone who works with young readers! Not only does she reference the research supporting what she's suggesting, but she also offers practical ideas that can be put into play immediately.

Because I've struggled in the past couple of years with how I'm "doing" guided reading, I truly felt this book was written just for me. It liberated, empowered, and inspired me to make the changes needed in my classroom!
Carolyn Wojtera
Kudos, Cathy! You wrote the book that presented the same questions we are asking at our school. As we move from a full guided reading model to a conferring model, this book will lend support to all of my colleagues. This book has questions, answers, and motivates you to reassess your thinking.
Jessica Steffel
This is the book that convinced me to go beyond my guided reading first grade groups. With small adjustments, I transformed my teaching to teaching readers rather than reading!
Brandy
I like how this book was written, but the ideas did not sound new. She used many of the same ideas as "The Sisters" do in "The Daily Five" in her classroom.

Well written and a quick, easy read. No new information, however. A lot of the same ideas from The Sisters.
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Elisa Waingort
Elisa Waingort marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Wendy
Wendy is currently reading it
Jun 19, 2014
Matt
Matt added it
Apr 12, 2014
Toni
Toni marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Christopher York
Christopher York marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Beth Robertson
Beth Robertson marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Laura Crawford
Laura Crawford marked it as to-read
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Meghan Nels
Meghan Nels marked it as to-read
Colby Sharp
Colby Sharp marked it as to-read
Donalyn
Donalyn marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2013
More Than Guided Reading eBook More Than Guided Reading: Finding the Right Instructional Mix, K-3