Start by marking “Through the Wardrobe: Your Favorite Authors on C. S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  85 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The third in the latest film version of C.S. Lewis' beloved Chronicles of Narnia, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, will be released in December 2010. In a crowded market of predictable tie-ins, Through the Wardrobe - a collection of always thoughtful, frequently clever explorations of the series by sixteen popular YA authors that proves the series is more than its religious ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Benbella Books

To ask other readers questions about Through the Wardrobe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Through the Wardrobe

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Candace Cunard for TeensReadToo.com

To call this book a "Narnia movie tie-in," as some of the publicity has, is selling it short. The sixteen essays in this book cover all seven of the CHRONICLES OF NARNIA, and although there are several that deal exclusively with Prince Caspian, the movie of which is to be released this May, there are also insightful essays about the other novels in the series. In fact, one of my personal favorites dealt solely with THE VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER (wh
Maria Elmvang
I was hooked the very first time I read about this book, and even though I have now forgotten where that was, I didn't forget about the book, and was thrilled to finally get my hands on it. 16 essays about the Chronicles of Narnia - obviously a must for any Narniophile like myself.

Thankfully it was worth the wait. Most of the essays were charming and interesting, and if there was a slight unbalance with more essays being about Prince Caspian than any other book in the series, then that can be ex
Brad
Aug 20, 2015 Brad marked it as dnf-partial-read  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up because of Ned Vizzini's essay, "Reading the Right Books: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader." Not being a big fan of fantasy, I've never read the Narnia books. But, as a Vizzini's completist, I still wanted to still give it a try. Predictably, I didn't get much from reading this essay other than further confirmation that I'm not a big fantasy fan. Ah well.

(view spoiler)
Mari
Jan 18, 2013 Mari rated it liked it
Shelves: research, nonfiction
Very meh. I'm a big fan of literary criticism and in-depth analysis, but these essays are fairly hit or miss. The one on Susan in particular irritates me, but I'm biased. Some are fun, some are tedious -- if you really love the Chronicles of Narnia, this fairly slender book is probably worth it. If you've just seen the movies and think Aslan is cuddly, do us all a favor and go read the damn books.
Trine
May 18, 2011 Trine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
16 essays about The Chronicles of Narnia and why these books manage to captivate generation after generation of children - and adults as well. Well, of course I had to read it. And I wasn't disappointed. Even though I didn't know any of the writers (so Your Favorite Authors doesn't apply to me) I have gotten a new insight in the life of Narnia and C.S. Lewis.
Kerith
Aug 04, 2011 Kerith rated it really liked it
Shelves: about-books
I had a blast with these essays, especially the ones which discuss Susan's fate and how that's not so hopeless as one might think (as in, what the heck did Mr. Lewis have against lipstick anyhow?) plus the honest essay on a reader's crush over Edmund was hysterical. If you have read the Narnia books one too many times you will have a good time with this book.
Sheila
Jun 16, 2013 Sheila rated it really liked it
Very interesting, though the chapter on Hitler was very boring and the book would have been much better with out it. Also, the authors kind of repeat the same stuff over and over.
Rebekah
Mar 08, 2012 Rebekah rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
A very well thought out grouping of essays that would be of interset to any Narnia lovers. Can't say that I agreed with all of them.
Jenny Kahrs Scheper
Jenny Kahrs Scheper marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
jessica
jessica marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Lupus Umbra
Lupus Umbra marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Jessica Jahn
Jessica Jahn marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Serenity
Serenity marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Bridget
Bridget marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Nathan Dehoff
Nathan Dehoff rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Lena
Lena marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
SofiaB
SofiaB marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Brooks
Brooks rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Kay Hoffman
Kay Hoffman marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Lori Posten
Lori Posten marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Lg
Lg marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Hunter
Hunter marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Hannah
Hannah rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2016
Megan Williams
Megan Williams marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
QUYEN TONNU
QUYEN TONNU rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
Keldyn Miller
Keldyn Miller marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
  • The Chronicles of Narnia and Philosophy: The Lion, the Witch, and the Worldview
  • Why We Read What We Read: A Delightfully Opinionated Journey Through Bestselling Books
  • Author Unknown: Tales of a Literary Detective
  • Between the Covers: The Book Babes' Guide to a Woman's Reading Pleasures
  • More Matrix and Philosophy: Revolutions and Reloaded Decoded
  • The Devil's Details: A History of Footnotes
  • The Nature of the Book: Print and Knowledge in the Making
  • The Things That Matter: What Seven Classic Novels Have to Say About the Stages of Life
  • Bibliotopia: Or, Mr. Gilbar's Book of Books & Catch-All of Literary Facts & Curiosities
  • Classics for Pleasure
  • Casanova Was a Librarian: A Light-Hearted Look at the Profession
  • Caught in the Web of Words: James Murray and the Oxford English Dictionary
  • The Psychology of Twilight
What you should know

Name: Herbie Brennan

Occupation: Author

Favourite book: The Crimson Petal and the White, by Michel Faber.

Favourite subjects: Esoteric matters, psychical research, anomalies, Mac computers, other people and cats.

Favourite journals: Journal of the Society for Psychical Research, Mac Format.

Favourite holiday spot: Kenmare, County Kerry, Ireland.

Number of books published: 108.

Total c
More about Herbie Brennan...

“You deserve them because you chose them. You could have left them all behind but you chose to stay here.” 1 likes