Start by marking “Through the Wardrobe: Your Favorite Authors on C. S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia” as Want to Read:

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The third in the latest film version of C.S. Lewis' beloved Chronicles of Narnia, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, will be released in December 2010. In a crowded market of predictable tie-ins, Through the Wardrobe - a collection of always thoughtful, frequently clever explorations of the series by sixteen popular YA authors that proves the series is more than its religious ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Benbella Books

To ask other readers questions about Through the Wardrobe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Through the Wardrobe

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Candace Cunard for TeensReadToo.com

To call this book a "Narnia movie tie-in," as some of the publicity has, is selling it short. The sixteen essays in this book cover all seven of the CHRONICLES OF NARNIA, and although there are several that deal exclusively with Prince Caspian, the movie of which is to be released this May, there are also insightful essays about the other novels in the series. In fact, one of my personal favorites dealt solely with THE VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER (wh
Maria M. Elmvang
I was hooked the very first time I read about this book, and even though I have now forgotten where that was, I didn't forget about the book, and was thrilled to finally get my hands on it. 16 essays about the Chronicles of Narnia - obviously a must for any Narniophile like myself.

Thankfully it was worth the wait. Most of the essays were charming and interesting, and if there was a slight unbalance with more essays being about Prince Caspian than any other book in the series, then that can be ex
Mari
Very meh. I'm a big fan of literary criticism and in-depth analysis, but these essays are fairly hit or miss. The one on Susan in particular irritates me, but I'm biased. Some are fun, some are tedious -- if you really love the Chronicles of Narnia, this fairly slender book is probably worth it. If you've just seen the movies and think Aslan is cuddly, do us all a favor and go read the damn books.
Trine
16 essays about The Chronicles of Narnia and why these books manage to captivate generation after generation of children - and adults as well. Well, of course I had to read it. And I wasn't disappointed. Even though I didn't know any of the writers (so Your Favorite Authors doesn't apply to me) I have gotten a new insight in the life of Narnia and C.S. Lewis.
Kerith
I had a blast with these essays, especially the ones which discuss Susan's fate and how that's not so hopeless as one might think (as in, what the heck did Mr. Lewis have against lipstick anyhow?) plus the honest essay on a reader's crush over Edmund was hysterical. If you have read the Narnia books one too many times you will have a good time with this book.
Sheila
Very interesting, though the chapter on Hitler was very boring and the book would have been much better with out it. Also, the authors kind of repeat the same stuff over and over.
Rebekah
A very well thought out grouping of essays that would be of interset to any Narnia lovers. Can't say that I agreed with all of them.
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Matthew Terriza
Matthew Terriza marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Kaleigh
Kaleigh marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Jossette
Jossette marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Catherine Johnson
Catherine Johnson marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Kirsten Rodning
Kirsten Rodning marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
 ♥♥Mari♥♥
♥♥Mari♥♥ marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Heather V
Heather V marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Haley Schnathorst
Haley Schnathorst marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Jennifer Severino
Jennifer Severino marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Bess
Bess marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Javier
Javier marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
  • The Chronicles of Narnia and Philosophy: The Lion, the Witch, and the Worldview
  • Why We Read What We Read: A Delightfully Opinionated Journey Through Bestselling Books
  • Author Unknown: Tales of a Literary Detective
  • Marginalia: Readers Writing in Books
  • The Devil's Details: A History of Footnotes
  • Between the Covers: The Book Babes' Guide to a Woman's Reading Pleasures
  • A New Dawn: Your Favorite Authors on Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Series
  • Bibliotopia: Or, Mr. Gilbar's Book of Books & Catch-All of Literary Facts & Curiosities
  • Casanova Was a Librarian: A Light-Hearted Look at the Profession
  • Classics for Pleasure
  • The Things That Matter: What Seven Classic Novels Have to Say About the Stages of Life
  • More Matrix and Philosophy: Revolutions and Reloaded Decoded
  • Bibliotherapy: The Girl's Guide to Books for Every Phase of Our Lives
  • Book Crush: For Kids and Teens-Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment and Interest
What you should know

Name: Herbie Brennan

Occupation: Author

Favourite book: The Crimson Petal and the White, by Michel Faber.

Favourite subjects: Esoteric matters, psychical research, anomalies, Mac computers, other people and cats.

Favourite journals: Journal of the Society for Psychical Research, Mac Format.

Favourite holiday spot: Kenmare, County Kerry, Ireland.

Number of books published: 108.

Total c
More about Herbie Brennan...
Faerie Wars (The Faerie Wars Chronicles, #1) The Purple Emperor (The Faerie Wars Chronicles, #2) Ruler of the Realm (The Faerie Wars Chronicles, #3) Faerie Lord (The Faerie Wars Chronicles, #4) The Shadow Project (Shadow Project, #1)

“You deserve them because you chose them. You could have left them all behind but you chose to stay here.” 0 likes