Start by marking “Through the Wardrobe: Your Favorite Authors on C. S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia” as Want to Read:

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  80 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The third in the latest film version of C.S. Lewis' beloved Chronicles of Narnia, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, will be released in December 2010. In a crowded market of predictable tie-ins, Through the Wardrobe - a collection of always thoughtful, frequently clever explorations of the series by sixteen popular YA authors that proves the series is more than its religious ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Benbella Books

To ask other readers questions about Through the Wardrobe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Through the Wardrobe

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Candace Cunard for TeensReadToo.com

To call this book a "Narnia movie tie-in," as some of the publicity has, is selling it short. The sixteen essays in this book cover all seven of the CHRONICLES OF NARNIA, and although there are several that deal exclusively with Prince Caspian, the movie of which is to be released this May, there are also insightful essays about the other novels in the series. In fact, one of my personal favorites dealt solely with THE VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER (wh
Maria Elmvang
I was hooked the very first time I read about this book, and even though I have now forgotten where that was, I didn't forget about the book, and was thrilled to finally get my hands on it. 16 essays about the Chronicles of Narnia - obviously a must for any Narniophile like myself.

Thankfully it was worth the wait. Most of the essays were charming and interesting, and if there was a slight unbalance with more essays being about Prince Caspian than any other book in the series, then that can be ex
Brad
Aug 20, 2015 Brad marked it as dnf-partial-read  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up because of Ned Vizzini's essay, "Reading the Right Books: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader." Not being a big fan of fantasy, I've never read the Narnia books. But, as a Vizzini's completist, I still wanted to still give it a try. Predictably, I didn't get much from reading this essay other than further confirmation that I'm not a big fantasy fan. Ah well.

(view spoiler)
Mari
Jan 18, 2013 Mari rated it liked it
Shelves: research, nonfiction
Very meh. I'm a big fan of literary criticism and in-depth analysis, but these essays are fairly hit or miss. The one on Susan in particular irritates me, but I'm biased. Some are fun, some are tedious -- if you really love the Chronicles of Narnia, this fairly slender book is probably worth it. If you've just seen the movies and think Aslan is cuddly, do us all a favor and go read the damn books.
Trine
May 18, 2011 Trine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
16 essays about The Chronicles of Narnia and why these books manage to captivate generation after generation of children - and adults as well. Well, of course I had to read it. And I wasn't disappointed. Even though I didn't know any of the writers (so Your Favorite Authors doesn't apply to me) I have gotten a new insight in the life of Narnia and C.S. Lewis.
Kerith
Aug 04, 2011 Kerith rated it really liked it
Shelves: about-books
I had a blast with these essays, especially the ones which discuss Susan's fate and how that's not so hopeless as one might think (as in, what the heck did Mr. Lewis have against lipstick anyhow?) plus the honest essay on a reader's crush over Edmund was hysterical. If you have read the Narnia books one too many times you will have a good time with this book.
Sheila
Jun 16, 2013 Sheila rated it really liked it
Very interesting, though the chapter on Hitler was very boring and the book would have been much better with out it. Also, the authors kind of repeat the same stuff over and over.
Rebekah
Mar 08, 2012 Rebekah rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
A very well thought out grouping of essays that would be of interset to any Narnia lovers. Can't say that I agreed with all of them.
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Maria Wang
Maria Wang marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Amy Linquist
Amy Linquist marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Candice
Candice marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Aylin
Aylin marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Emma Jones
Emma Jones marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Carl
Carl rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Kay
Kay marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Kaitlin Bennett
Kaitlin Bennett marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
YRJ
YRJ marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Mary Hunt
Mary Hunt marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Mermaidrain
Mermaidrain marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Linda Andromidas
Linda Andromidas rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2016
Kbosse
Kbosse marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2016
Tracy Hall
Tracy Hall marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Mariah
Mariah added it
Mar 21, 2016
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Chronicles of Narnia and Philosophy: The Lion, the Witch, and the Worldview
  • Bibliotherapy: The Girl's Guide to Books for Every Phase of Our Lives
  • Why We Read What We Read: A Delightfully Opinionated Journey Through Bestselling Books
  • 100 Banned Books: Censorship Histories of World Literature
  • Author Unknown: Tales of a Literary Detective
  • The World of the Golden Compass: The Otherworldly Ride Continues
  • Marginalia: Readers Writing in Books
  • Between the Covers: The Book Babes' Guide to a Woman's Reading Pleasures
  • More Matrix and Philosophy: Revolutions and Reloaded Decoded
  • Bibliotopia: Or, Mr. Gilbar's Book of Books & Catch-All of Literary Facts & Curiosities
  • A New Dawn: Your Favorite Authors on Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Series
  • The Things That Matter: What Seven Classic Novels Have to Say About the Stages of Life
  • Classics for Pleasure
  • Into the Wardrobe: C. S. Lewis and the Narnia Chronicles
What you should know

Name: Herbie Brennan

Occupation: Author

Favourite book: The Crimson Petal and the White, by Michel Faber.

Favourite subjects: Esoteric matters, psychical research, anomalies, Mac computers, other people and cats.

Favourite journals: Journal of the Society for Psychical Research, Mac Format.

Favourite holiday spot: Kenmare, County Kerry, Ireland.

Number of books published: 108.

Total c
More about Herbie Brennan...

“You deserve them because you chose them. You could have left them all behind but you chose to stay here.” 0 likes