Through the Wardrobe: Your Favorite Authors on C. S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The third in the latest film version of C.S. Lewis' beloved Chronicles of Narnia, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, will be released in December 2010. In a crowded market of predictable tie-ins, Through the Wardrobe - a collection of always thoughtful, frequently clever explorations of the series by sixteen popular YA authors that proves the series is more than its religious...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Benbella Books

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Candace Cunard for TeensReadToo.com

To call this book a "Narnia movie tie-in," as some of the publicity has, is selling it short. The sixteen essays in this book cover all seven of the CHRONICLES OF NARNIA, and although there are several that deal exclusively with Prince Caspian, the movie of which is to be released this May, there are also insightful essays about the other novels in the series. In fact, one of my personal favorites dealt solely with THE VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER (wh...more
Maria M. Elmvang
I was hooked the very first time I read about this book, and even though I have now forgotten where that was, I didn't forget about the book, and was thrilled to finally get my hands on it. 16 essays about the Chronicles of Narnia - obviously a must for any Narniophile like myself.

Thankfully it was worth the wait. Most of the essays were charming and interesting, and if there was a slight unbalance with more essays being about Prince Caspian than any other book in the series, then that can be ex...more
Mari
Very meh. I'm a big fan of literary criticism and in-depth analysis, but these essays are fairly hit or miss. The one on Susan in particular irritates me, but I'm biased. Some are fun, some are tedious -- if you really love the Chronicles of Narnia, this fairly slender book is probably worth it. If you've just seen the movies and think Aslan is cuddly, do us all a favor and go read the damn books.
Trine
16 essays about The Chronicles of Narnia and why these books manage to captivate generation after generation of children - and adults as well. Well, of course I had to read it. And I wasn't disappointed. Even though I didn't know any of the writers (so Your Favorite Authors doesn't apply to me) I have gotten a new insight in the life of Narnia and C.S. Lewis.
Kerith
I had a blast with these essays, especially the ones which discuss Susan's fate and how that's not so hopeless as one might think (as in, what the heck did Mr. Lewis have against lipstick anyhow?) plus the honest essay on a reader's crush over Edmund was hysterical. If you have read the Narnia books one too many times you will have a good time with this book.
Sheila
Very interesting, though the chapter on Hitler was very boring and the book would have been much better with out it. Also, the authors kind of repeat the same stuff over and over.
Rebekah
A very well thought out grouping of essays that would be of interset to any Narnia lovers. Can't say that I agreed with all of them.
Good Reader
Good Reader marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
John Paolo
John Paolo marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Hope Dee
Hope Dee marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Andrew Burbidge
Andrew Burbidge marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Mickslibrarian
Mickslibrarian marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Josephine B
Josephine B marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Rachel Leonard
Rachel Leonard marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Skye
Skye marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Laura Elliott
Laura Elliott marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Bre Bear
Bre Bear marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
hannah
hannah marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Emily Barton
Emily Barton marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Roy
Roy added it
Feb 10, 2014
Charity
Charity marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Davida "Davi"
Davida "Davi" marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2013
What you should know

Name: Herbie Brennan

Occupation: Author

Favourite book: The Crimson Petal and the White, by Michel Faber.

Favourite subjects: Esoteric matters, psychical research, anomalies, Mac computers, other people and cats.

Favourite journals: Journal of the Society for Psychical Research, Mac Format.

Favourite holiday spot: Kenmare, County Kerry, Ireland.

Number of books published: 108.

Total c...more
More about Herbie Brennan...
Faerie Wars (The Faerie Wars Chronicles, #1) The Purple Emperor (The Faerie Wars Chronicles, #2) Ruler of the Realm (The Faerie Wars Chronicles, #3) Faerie Lord (The Faerie Wars Chronicles, #4) The Shadow Project (Shadow Project, #1)