Start by marking “Through the Wardrobe: Your Favorite Authors on C. S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia” as Want to Read:

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The third in the latest film version of C.S. Lewis' beloved Chronicles of Narnia, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, will be released in December 2010. In a crowded market of predictable tie-ins, Through the Wardrobe - a collection of always thoughtful, frequently clever explorations of the series by sixteen popular YA authors that proves the series is more than its religious ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Benbella Books

To ask other readers questions about Through the Wardrobe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Through the Wardrobe

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Candace Cunard for

To call this book a "Narnia movie tie-in," as some of the publicity has, is selling it short. The sixteen essays in this book cover all seven of the CHRONICLES OF NARNIA, and although there are several that deal exclusively with Prince Caspian, the movie of which is to be released this May, there are also insightful essays about the other novels in the series. In fact, one of my personal favorites dealt solely with THE VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER (wh
Maria Elmvang
I was hooked the very first time I read about this book, and even though I have now forgotten where that was, I didn't forget about the book, and was thrilled to finally get my hands on it. 16 essays about the Chronicles of Narnia - obviously a must for any Narniophile like myself.

Thankfully it was worth the wait. Most of the essays were charming and interesting, and if there was a slight unbalance with more essays being about Prince Caspian than any other book in the series, then that can be ex
Aug 20, 2015 Brad marked it as dnf-partial-read  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up because of Ned Vizzini's essay, "Reading the Right Books: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader." Not being a big fan of fantasy, I've never read the Narnia books. But, as a Vizzini's completist, I still wanted to still give it a try. Predictably, I didn't get much from reading this essay other than further confirmation that I'm not a big fantasy fan. Ah well.

(view spoiler)
Very meh. I'm a big fan of literary criticism and in-depth analysis, but these essays are fairly hit or miss. The one on Susan in particular irritates me, but I'm biased. Some are fun, some are tedious -- if you really love the Chronicles of Narnia, this fairly slender book is probably worth it. If you've just seen the movies and think Aslan is cuddly, do us all a favor and go read the damn books.
16 essays about The Chronicles of Narnia and why these books manage to captivate generation after generation of children - and adults as well. Well, of course I had to read it. And I wasn't disappointed. Even though I didn't know any of the writers (so Your Favorite Authors doesn't apply to me) I have gotten a new insight in the life of Narnia and C.S. Lewis.
I had a blast with these essays, especially the ones which discuss Susan's fate and how that's not so hopeless as one might think (as in, what the heck did Mr. Lewis have against lipstick anyhow?) plus the honest essay on a reader's crush over Edmund was hysterical. If you have read the Narnia books one too many times you will have a good time with this book.
Very interesting, though the chapter on Hitler was very boring and the book would have been much better with out it. Also, the authors kind of repeat the same stuff over and over.
A very well thought out grouping of essays that would be of interset to any Narnia lovers. Can't say that I agreed with all of them.
Jerry Meneses
Jerry Meneses marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Sage marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Danielle marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Logan Compau
Logan Compau marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2015
Emily marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Tina marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Megan Lynn
Megan Lynn marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Helen marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Michelle marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Rachel Hubbard
Rachel Hubbard marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Amy Farley
Amy Farley marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Stanley Faris
Stanley Faris marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Hayley marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Katie marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Ng added it
Jun 29, 2015
Jenny Huang
Jenny Huang marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
  • The Chronicles of Narnia and Philosophy: The Lion, the Witch, and the Worldview
  • Author Unknown: Tales of a Literary Detective
  • Why We Read What We Read: A Delightfully Opinionated Journey Through Bestselling Books
  • The World of the Golden Compass: The Otherworldly Ride Continues
  • 100 Banned Books: Censorship Histories of World Literature
  • Bibliotopia: Or, Mr. Gilbar's Book of Books & Catch-All of Literary Facts & Curiosities
  • More Matrix and Philosophy: Revolutions and Reloaded Decoded
  • Between the Covers: The Book Babes' Guide to a Woman's Reading Pleasures
  • Marginalia: Readers Writing in Books
  • The Things That Matter: What Seven Classic Novels Have to Say About the Stages of Life
  • The Devil's Details: A History of Footnotes
  • Classics for Pleasure
  • Caught in the Web of Words: James Murray and the Oxford English Dictionary
  • A New Dawn: Your Favorite Authors on Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Series
  • The Nature of the Book: Print and Knowledge in the Making
  • The Psychology of Twilight
  • Casanova Was a Librarian: A Light-Hearted Look at the Profession
  • Book Crush: For Kids and Teens-Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment and Interest
What you should know

Name: Herbie Brennan

Occupation: Author

Favourite book: The Crimson Petal and the White, by Michel Faber.

Favourite subjects: Esoteric matters, psychical research, anomalies, Mac computers, other people and cats.

Favourite journals: Journal of the Society for Psychical Research, Mac Format.

Favourite holiday spot: Kenmare, County Kerry, Ireland.

Number of books published: 108.

Total c
More about Herbie Brennan...

“You deserve them because you chose them. You could have left them all behind but you chose to stay here.” 0 likes