Start by marking “Queen Bee of Mimosa Branch (Queen Bee Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Queen Bee of Mimosa Branch (Queen Bee Series, #1)

Queen Bee of Mimosa Branch (Queen Bee Series #1)

3.6  ·  Rating Details ·  1,716 Ratings  ·  153 Reviews
Published October 19th 2003 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published October 7th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Queen Bee of Mimosa Branch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queen Bee of Mimosa Branch

Syndy
Sep 01, 2008 Syndy rated it did not like it
If there was a negative rating I would choose it. This book was really pointless. The woman was bitter and witchy. My friend told me it was bad but I read it anyway, dumb. That's several hours of my life I will never get back.
Cyndy Aleo
May 20, 2011 Cyndy Aleo rated it it was ok
Shelves: women-s-fiction
I am physically unable to enter a bookstore and not buy something for myself. During a recent trip to Barnes & Noble, I headed into the bargain section after selecting the gift I went for in the first place. Of course, trying to find a winner in the piles of bargain books is tough when you have an impatient four-year-old in tow, and I selected Queen Bee of Mimosa Branch mainly by its cheerful cover art.

::: The Basics :::

Linwood Breedlove was in a hurry to get out of Mimosa Branch, and marrie
Paulette
Dec 08, 2008 Paulette rated it it was ok
Lynn
May 18, 2016 Lynn rated it it was amazing
Oh, gosh! I read this so long ago! I really enjoyed it! What I remember is that the characterization was superb, as Smith's usually is and I could relate to many aspects of Linwood's adjustments in the aftermath of her 'failed' marriage of 30 years. Definitely not a book to read if you demand action, but the depiction of relationships was so well done!
Sidna
Nov 18, 2015 Sidna rated it did not like it
If this is not THE worst book I have ever read, it is certainly in contention. When I picked it up at the library used bookstore, I was expecting a humorous love story. A quote on the cover states "When it comes to crazy, everything is relative" so you expect a lot of crazy antics with the family in the vein of "You Can't Take It With You."

Linwood Breedlove Scott divorces her husband of 30 years after he runs off with a stripper. Unfortunately, the IRS has taken everything so she is forced to mo
Laurel-Rain
Jul 06, 2012 Laurel-Rain rated it really liked it
Thirty years after Lin Breedlove escaped her hometown of Mimosa Branch, Georgia, she is back. With her tail between her legs, and now as Lin Breedlove Scott, divorced and broke.

She is not looking forward to staying at her parents' home, despite how huge it is; what keeps her going is her plan to refurbish the garage apartment. The bliss of privacy beckons.

But almost as soon as she arrives, old friends and enemies appear and threaten the serenity she seeks. And a next door hunk of a man tempts he
Terri
Oct 09, 2013 Terri rated it it was ok
I didn't care much for this book. Didn't like the main character. Newly divorced at age 50, she moves back home with her parents because she has no skills to support herself after 30 years of marriage. She came from, and her parents still live in a small southern town, where most of the people, including her family (aunt, uncle, brother, and friends are all eccentric...to much so. She wants nothing more than to fix up a garage apartment which she does in short time, even though she works at a ph ...more
Cathie
Apr 25, 2009 Cathie rated it liked it
This book started out with so much potential and then fell flat. I loved the premise but there just wasn't much done with it. It ended up taking much longer to read than I thought.

Smith overwrites. She takes everything a step or two further than necessary and zaps the power out of the message.

A fine example was that the ending of the book was two pages before the ending. She made a beautiful, well written inspiring point. But then she goes on for another page and washes over the point with som
Rachel
Jun 05, 2013 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: southern-usa-lit
Georgia--this book was okay. More self-talk and thinking than necessary. Should have built the relationships with friends in the story rather than having preexisting friends who support her from a distance until the last chapter. Relationship with family (esp. brother and mother) is healed but then she doesn't DO anything for them. Maybe the main characters relationships would not have deteriorated if she had spend less time thinking about her misery and more time doing things to help her family ...more
Book Concierge
Apr 06, 2010 Book Concierge rated it did not like it
Only okay Southern chick lit. Lin Breedlove Scott is a confused 50-something newly divorced woman forced to move back home. It would be better if the Grant relationship had just stayed friendly, but I think the author threw in the "hot romance" aspect as a way to entice readers. It doesn't. If she's supposed to be on a journey to growth as an adult, she shouldn't do half the things she does. Her moral compass is off.
Lauren
Jul 12, 2012 Lauren rated it it was ok
Shelves: stupid
I read this in 2007 and all I remember is that the woman was incredibly immature for her age....one part that sticks out was how she broke into a fit of laughter when she was about to have sex, like she was 15 or something. The woman was middle-aged, and acting like a school girl. Dumb book.
Emily Ross
Jul 15, 2010 Emily Ross rated it it was ok
This book was fun but I thought the end was kind of hokey and a little unnecessary.
Karla
Sep 18, 2009 Karla rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2003
Full of cliches and stereotypes.
Erin
Jun 20, 2011 Erin rated it did not like it
This book was lame.
Sylvia
Feb 02, 2017 Sylvia rated it liked it
Fun read for readers looking for easy reads. Suspension of reality required regarding naïveté of Lin at age 50 and some of the activities. Eg. 1. Tampering with election 2. No fallout of same. 3. Complete rejection of man who though not perfect, was not the total cad she and friends made him out to be. For light entertainment I would read more novels by this author, going in knowing what to expect.
Catherine Mcclarin
Nov 07, 2016 Catherine Mcclarin rated it did not like it
No. No. No. A thousand times no. I get the whole "eccentric Southern characters" shtick. I lived in the South. This was overdone. I'm sorry I read it. Don't repeat my mistake.
Sorcha
Mar 07, 2015 Sorcha added it
Shelves: 2015
Linwood Breedlove Scott's life has officially hit rock bottom. Her husband of thirty years has run off with a stripper. The IRS has taken everything but her coffee table. And her hot flashes are four-alarmers. The only thing that could make being flat-broke and fifty any worse is having to crawl home to her parents' house in Mimosa Branch, Georgia...which is exactly where she's headed.

Lin's barely prepared for the loony bin that greets her, from her controlling, eighty-year-old mother and shocki
AJ LeBlanc
Dec 17, 2008 AJ LeBlanc rated it it was ok
I am not the target audience for this book, but I still liked it.

Main character:

Linwood Breedlove Scott. Lin. Lin Breedlove. No longer Lin Scott.

Fifty-something years old.

Southern. So very Southern. Get your hair and lipstick straight because someone might see you at any moment. Don’t you dare go out on the porch at night without checking your face in the mirror.

Divorced. Badly divorced. No-good husband got himself engaged to a stripper. Thirty years of marriage and she finds out he’s spent ever
Andrea Guy
When I started reading this book, I wasn't sure I was going to like it. Lin annoyed me quite a bit. That changed as the book went on and you got to know her and her quirky family.

You may read the book blurb and think this is a romance novel, but it isn't. Its older chicklit, women's fiction, if you will. It deals with life, love and the most important thing, friendship.

When I read these kinds of books I usually find myself thinking two things.

1. Why do I not have friends like this?
2. How do you
Maureen
Mar 08, 2012 Maureen rated it liked it

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. It is a mixture of humor, real life issues, romance, friendship and drama. At different times I found myself laughing, weeping or nodding my head in understanding. This is not your typical chick-lit book. I was glad to see that it didn't follow the usual "girl meets guy, girl has a love/hate relationship with guy, they live happy ever after" pattern. I also appreciated that the main character Lin was not a girl at all but a "mature" woman. Being in a sim
Debre
Jun 21, 2012 Debre rated it liked it
I'm a little late to the party, but that's the great thing about books. They'll wait patiently to be discovered. I thought the book had too much going on. it seems this genre usually has some drama or mystery on the side that seems to get in the way of the story. i loved that this had a different ending than the usual "can they overcome their hurtful pasts and unexpected obstacles to find true love? well, of course they can. The notion that one can be happy and fulfilled and live happily ever af ...more
Beth
Jan 12, 2016 Beth rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: 2016-read
Not a fan.

What I liked:
- geographical detail (such as meat-and-three, which I'd never heard of, and trash bread)
- I am near the character's age. That said, I kept trying to compare myself to her and I just... just... couldn't.
- I kind of liked the inclusion of faith as a sub-theme, especially faith that is "real" in that the character is not perfect. That said, I could have lived without most of the crudeness and especially sexual detail.

What I hated:
- the title.
- TOO much detail. Who knew the
Lori
Jul 25, 2011 Lori rated it liked it
Shelves: novel
Suddenly divorced after 30 years of marriage, Lin, age 50, moves in with her eccentric family. The story moves slowly, matching the process of recovery of the main character: one day at a time, one crisis at a time. But, it is more than the story of one woman's progress; it is also the story of a town and its changes and maturation. It's a genuine story about what changes, what stays the same, and how you deal with both. *Caution: Religious conservatives may get their knickers in a knot over the ...more
Dana
Aug 14, 2008 Dana rated it really liked it
Linwood Breedlove Scott's life is a mess. Her husband has left her for a stripper and drained all their bank accounts and owes the IRS. She has nothing. Returning home to a small Southern town, Lin finds nothing has changed. Her mother is still controlling and her father has no problem telling her what she has done wrong. Her Aunt Gloria and Uncle Bedford who has Altzheimers are living with her parents. Her brother still doesn't have a job.

Home she must go. She finds a job and gets involved in l
Beth
Feb 04, 2016 Beth rated it liked it
Lin is a fifty year old Southern girl who must start over after a bad divorce leaves her broke, humiliated, and homeless. The divorce makes her suspect every man on the planet of bad behavior, and with nowhere else to go, she must move back into her childhood home with her parents and other relatives. The characters were interesting and the setting was perfect for the story, but I did not like a few aspects of the story - the small town political shenanigans were often confusing, and the love in ...more
Gail
Aug 28, 2008 Gail rated it liked it
This is a women's fiction novel about a 50-ish woman putting her life back together after a devastating divorce virtually identical to what happened to the author herself. (I heard Smith speak once, and she told the story. The basic facts are the same--husband sends them both into bankruptcy by spending hundreds of thousands of $$ on hookers, takes up with bimbo, etc. Beyond that, I believe there is little to no correspondence.) Heroine has to move back home because she can't afford anything bet ...more
Benita
Sep 29, 2011 Benita rated it really liked it
This is the first book I’ve read by Hayward Smith. I found the book fresh and funny. Linwood Breedlove Scott returns to hometown in Georgia after divorcing her two-timing husband. There’s a good mixture of southern humor and outrageous characters. Lin works part time at the local drugstore and becomes attracted to the pharmacist, Grant Owens. The attraction increases between the two as they take on various causes around town. Lin realizes that she may have found her true calling as she takes on ...more
Michelle Lemaster
So funny so far. I'm lovin' uncle Bedford's crazy hallucinations. "That gay guy takes everything!" So exclaims Uncle Bedford about his poor wife. Such fun! What a delusional hoot!

I finished this a little over a week ago. I had fun decideing to classify this book as a "coming of age" story. It's an interesting shelve to put it on. But though the protagonist is a 50+ year old woman- after divorce, moving back home with parents, seeking a new career and above all, learning to love herself and her f
Starla
Apr 17, 2010 Starla rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I found the southern style humor very entertaining. Learning more about herself at 50 and the changes she made in a few months keeps you cheering Lin on.
I was disappointed that the relationship with Grant went South (no pun intended), as well. I guess it gave more depth of character to Linn,
but I was really disappointed that he wasn't what she (and probably the readers too) wanted him to be.
Quick summer read, but not one of my favorites.
Natalie
Aug 07, 2008 Natalie rated it it was ok
It read like a made for tv movie on lifetime: plenty of formulaic description, funny plot turns with a feminist bent, but in the end, predictable. I enjoyed following the plot but the writing felt an English paper--a bit stiff and careful about general writing rules. A good take on vacation book, but not terribly thought provoking. I like a bit more challenge when I read. I read this because for the summer library program I had to read a book with the word "Bee" in the title.
  • Revenge of the Kudzu Debutantes (Kudzu Debutantes, #1)
  • Random Acts
  • Where the River Runs
  • Since You're Leaving Anyway, Take Out the Trash (Domestic Equalizers Book 1)
  • The Same Sweet Girls
  • The Ex-Debutante
  • Grits Friends Are Forevah: A Southern-Style Celebration of Women
  • Star-Spangled Bride
  • Summer Blowout
  • Kissing the Bride (Medieval, #4)
  • Going Down South
  • Whistlin' Dixie in a Nor'easter (Dixie, #1)
  • Bygones

Queen Bee Series (2 books)
  • Queen Bee Goes Home Again (Queen Bee Series, #2)