Start by marking “Foods of the Americas: Native Recipes and Traditions” as Want to Read:
Foods of the Americas: Native Recipes and Traditions

Foods of the Americas: Native Recipes and Traditions

The culinary traditions of the native peoples of the Americas are celebrated in this lavish book produced in association with the Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian. Written by chef Fernando Divina and Marlene Divina, who is of Chippewa heritage, FOODS OF THE AMERICAS presents 140 modern recipes that incorporate a wide array of foods cultivated by native pe ...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about Foods of the Americas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Foods of the Americas

Jennifer Stephens
One of the most interesting museums on the National Mall in Washington, D.C., is the Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian. Ten Speed Press, in association with the museum has published a cookbook written by Fernando and Marlene Divina that celebrates the native ingredients of the Americas. Foods of the Americas, Native Recipes and Traditions highlights over 100 recipes featuring corn, potatoes, chile, berries, wild rice, and other iconic new world ingredients. In addition to the re ...more
Victoria Moore
Dec 24, 2013 Victoria Moore rated it it was amazing
Large, colorful, informative and eloquently written "Foods of the Americas: Native Recipes and Traditions" by Fernando and Marlene Divina took me on a culinary adventure I won't soon forget. Initially I picked it up to inspire my own Thanksgiving feast but after reading it I realized the food I usually associate with that holiday were introduced by various Native Americans as sustenance, celebration and a way to preserve their culture.
The most effective part of the book for me were the persona
Avis Black
Jan 19, 2009 Avis Black rated it it was ok
Shelves: food-and-cooking
Most of these recipes are not even remotely 'native,' but rather are 'inspired by' native foods and recipes. If you want to find out what Indians in North and South America actually ate five hundred years ago before contact with whites, go elsewhere.

A case in point: Wild Rice and Corn Fritters. Indians living in wild rice growing areas and corn growing areas were separated from each other by large stretches of geography, and it's highly unlikely any native recipes that would have mixed the two.
LINCCReviews
This cookbook covers foods of North, Central, and South America. It has extremely interesting dishes, that if you take the time to prepare, will be one of a kind for family and friends. Many great ways to prepare meats, but also good meatless dishes, too. This book won some very prestigious awards and I can see why. (franny)
Emily
Nov 13, 2009 Emily added it
Shelves: cookbooks
Beautifully illustrated with gorgeous photographs and stories, this cookbook is intended for a modern audience who wants to understand traditional foods but still would prefer recipes aimed at a modern palate.
Anne
Nov 09, 2008 Anne rated it really liked it
I read only the essays and skimmed the recipes.
Kitchen Tourist
Dec 31, 2009 Kitchen Tourist rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in an updated "gourmet" take on traditional ingredients and Native American dishes
A beautiful book full of lovely photographs and many interesting stories, but definitely not as focused on "authentic" recipes as some of the other books I reviewed. Many were clearly intended to
Violet
Mar 26, 2012 Violet rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
This book taught me to make fry-bread. It's every bit as good as my Uncle Bob's was. Need I say more?
John
John rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2011
Claire Waggener
Claire Waggener rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2011
Christina Philbert
Christina Philbert rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2014
rhinda kesselring
rhinda kesselring rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2016
Christine Sheppard
Christine Sheppard rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2015
Martin Kimeldorf
Martin Kimeldorf rated it liked it
May 13, 2016
Larry
Larry rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2007
A
Apr 26, 2017 A rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
A nice assortment of recipes, broken down into small plates & appetizers; cold sauces, relishes & salads; soups; meats & wild game; game birds & fowl; foods from rivers, lakes & oceans; bread & savory cakes; sweets & deserts; and beverages.

The recipes have been modified for contemporary use, with ingredients like parmesan cheese.

I was happy to see the recipe for Chicha Morada, a purple corn drink from Peru, mentioned in Jo Robinson's Eating on the Wild Side.
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2008
Sarah Shillinger
Sarah Shillinger rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2015
James
James rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2014
Den
Den rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2015
Eliza A. H. Lord
Eliza A. H. Lord rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2012
Cara
Cara rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2012
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2012
Katie King
Katie King rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2012
Kathryn Connor
Kathryn Connor rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2007
Therese
Therese rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2016
Kara
Kara rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2011
Barrett
Barrett rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2012
Carolyn Farrell
Carolyn Farrell rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2014
elin
elin rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2017

“Food keeps us alive, as we all know. Nourishment allows us to grow and be healthy. But good cooking takes us beyond survival and into the realms of culture and pleasure.” 1 likes