Start by marking “Amber Brown Wants Extra Credit” as Want to Read:
Amber Brown Wants Extra Credit

Amber Brown Wants Extra Credit (Amber Brown #4)

Amber Brown is in deep trouble. Lately, no matter what she does, it isn't enough. She straightens up her room, sort of. She does her homework, well, most of it. And she agrees to meet Max, her mother's new boyfriend, but she doesn't agree to like him.
Now her mother is angry, her teacher wants all of her homework, and Max keeps trying to make her laugh. What's Amber to do?
Paperback, Braille, 128 pages
Published March 1st 1997 by Scholastic (first published April 16th 1996)

Sandra
Jul 10, 2010 Sandra rated it really liked it
Great for Kids. Amber deals with so much in this single book. Her parents divorce, Friend moves away, her mother meeting someone new that she fears will replace her father, her father meeting new people as well, and above all that her school work is slipping. It's sad to see that she still has hopes that her parents will get back together. However, she is taking the news (in my opinion) pretty harshly. But I believe this book also shows that kids don't really open up to their parents or she woul ...more
Gianni Llano
Apr 07, 2015 Gianni Llano rated it it was amazing
Amber Brown's parent'a divorce is taking a toll on her, it's even affecting her school work. She's forced to adjust to change and learns that change is life and she has to roll with the punches,
Sierra Salyards
Title: Amber Brown Wants Extra Credit
Author: Paula Danziger
Illustrator: Tony Ross
Genre: Transitional Chapter Book
Theme(s): growing up, dealing with changes, family, friendship
Opening line/sentence: "I, Amber Brown, being of sound mind and no money (I spent it all on a book, a computer game, and some junk food), do hereby give my mother five Amberino Certificates for her birthday."
Brief Book Summary: A favorite from Danziger's "Amber Brown" series, this book follows fourth grade student Amber Br
Princess Twilight Sparkle
Jun 10, 2015 Princess Twilight Sparkle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chapter-books
From Refracted Light's Middle Grade Monday feature:

What was the book about (without giving away what happens)?

The book is about a girl who meets her mom’s boyfriend. (The girl’s parents are divorced.) And she has to do a brownie project for school for extra credit.

Did you enjoy this story? Why?

I enjoyed this story because I like the Amber Brown series. I don’t know why. I just like it.

Oh! And I liked when Howie does funny things with his sister’s Barbies. Like when he sticks Barbie in his sister
Krutika K.
Jun 16, 2011 Krutika K. rated it it was amazing
Have you ever felt been in deep trouble no matter what you do? Amber Brown is in deep trouble no matter what she does. Amber complains about her mother always saying that her room is messy, and her teacher complains that her homework is always in late. She feels in trouble the most when her mother starts dating someone. Her mother is dating a man named Max. Amber's job is be on her best behavior when Max, Amber and her mother go out to dinner. So to make up for the trouble she gets in Amber need ...more
Dolly
Dec 07, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is another good book in the Amber Brown series. Unfortunately, we've read a bunch of these books out of order - I wish they were labeled a little better to help figure out what order they are in. We figured it out mostly based on publication date and book groupings, but we've gone back and forth in time with this character more than we'd like. Oh well, in any case, the stories are good and the character is so engaging. We've enjoyed watching Amber get older and become more independent. We'v ...more
Laura Hughes
Aug 28, 2014 Laura Hughes rated it liked it
Shelves: young-readers
Amber resists meeting her mother's new boyfriend, Max, because she is holding onto the hope that her parents will get back together; and her grades slip as she's distracted by family issues. Her teacher refuses to assign extra credit, and Amber's mom brings it home by telling her she doesn't get extra credit for living life. She can just do her best.

Amber Brown books always feel really short -- even by the standards of a book about a fourth-grader -- but each one very vividly captures a specifi
Agali Jimenez
I chose this book because I thought it was going to be about school and how she wasn't able to get extra credit but I was wrong. The plot is that her parents divorce and they are both seeing different people. She is not so happy about that. "He is not my dad! He is my friend." I like this because her moms boyfriend is being confused with her father and she doesn't like it but she gives him a chance as a friend. I thought the style was great because it had lots of emotions. Yes, I would recommend ...more
Kimberly
I liked this Amber Brown book better than the last one I read. Amber is easier to identify with in this book, as she is struggling to adjust to her parents' divorce and her mother dating someone new. Her academic performance suffers as she copes with the myriad changes in her life. Any kid whose parents have been divorced will likely be able to understand Amber's frustration with having minimal control over her parents' decisions.
Shelli
Nov 15, 2010 Shelli rated it really liked it
This series is a must read for young children dealing with divored/seperated parents. In this book Amber Brown has to meet her mothers new boyfreind. What if she hates him? What if she likes him? How will her father feel about her possibly liking her mom's new boyfriend? Does this mean her parents are definatly not getting back together? All these questions severly effect Amber's attitude and her school work.
Kaye
Easy 2/3 read Amber is upset about her parents divorce, and it is effecting her school work. She wants extra credit to pull up her grades before her mom finds out. It is a straight forward look at divorce, and issues a child faces, mom dating, dad dating, to like or not like the new fiance. I appreciate that Amber and her mother talk things out, and the mother is moving forward with her life, rather than putting her life on hold until her child grows up.
Emily
Feb 24, 2011 Emily rated it liked it
Amber finally meets Max, her mother's boyfriend. She wrestles with thoughts about whether liking Max is a betrayal to her dad. Finding out her dad is seeing a person named Judith is another blow to her. Amber's grades are also suffering because of these conflicts.
Amber is a very engaging and genuine character with well-realized emotions and reactions. Danziger explores difficult issues in a way young readers can relate to.
Brie Tennyson
Nov 24, 2013 Brie Tennyson rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
"Amber Brown Wants Extra Credit" is a book I read with my reading buddy. We had fun reading about Amber, who is a girl in 4th grade just like my reading buddy. This book was about Amber dealing not only with school but also meeting her mom's boyfriend and all the other problems 4th graders deal with. It is a fun book that is a nice, easy read for children. I think ages 7-11 or so would be a great age range for young readers and this book.
Alyssa
Oct 14, 2015 Alyssa rated it really liked it
A good idea for applying this book in a classroom would be, "As you read aloud with students, ask them to guess what is going to happen next and why. Have them write down their thoughts. Then, get your students to share their different imaginings of what is going to happen with the rest of the class.
JennE
Mar 15, 2014 JennE rated it liked it
Another relevant issue.....schoolwork that is affected by issues at home..in the Amber Brown series. Amber is trying or trying not to get to know Max, her mom's boyfriend. Amber is having a truly difficult time with the changes as well as all the emotions that go with it. If she likes Max, then she feels disloyal to her dad as well as accepting her parents divorce.
Stephanie Tuell
Oct 10, 2007 Stephanie Tuell rated it liked it
this is a good book for children 10 and older. the book is talks about divorces, bras, killings of barbie, and other stuff that may not be suitable for younder children. it talks about how amber is unhappy because her mom is dating a new guy and it seems to effect her school work. through her school work, she came to know her mother's boyfriend.
Teresa
Apr 03, 2012 Teresa rated it it was amazing
This story would be a good book for children whose parents are going through a divorce. Amber struggles with her feelings about her parents' divorce and her mom's new boyfriend. She thinks about acting out to show her parents what the divorce is doing to her & how it's affecting her school work. I liked this story & think it has a place in the modern classroom.
vampire (dipita) grul
Amber Brown is in deep troube. No matter what she does, it's no enough. her room is mess he homework is late and her mom is dating someone! what can she do? she has to get extra credit! it teaches u a leeson to!
Mar 17, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about how Amber Brown needs to work harder in school. And has to work hard on her newest homework which is to explain how to do something. Amber decided to make AMBER BROWNies with all sorts of toppings!!!
Andd Becker
Feb 22, 2013 Andd Becker rated it liked it
Written in 1st person narrative, this divorce-aftermath book chronicles a nine-year-old girl's feelings of anger. Backtalk characterizes the kid's reaction to her mother's new boyfriend and her father's new girlfriend.
Lizzy Lan
Apr 03, 2013 Lizzy Lan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Amber Brown is so distracted with everything going on in her life, that she is having trouble in school. Her teacher sends a note home and tells her that she needs to work very hard if she wants to bring her grade up. Amber comes up with an exciting project that will improve her grade for sure!
Morgan
Apr 02, 2011 Morgan rated it really liked it
Amber Brown wants extra credit is extremely interesting. Also, many children can relate to Amber and her life. the only reason the fifth star isn't checked is because there were some parts of it that we a little to dramatic about her parent's divorce.
Rebecca
Feb 16, 2016 Rebecca rated it really liked it
While our family has not been through a situation like Amber's, some of my daughter's friends have. I believe it expanded her view about different life experiences in a meaningful way. She enjoyed hearing many of the things Amber said and did.
Nancy
Feb 07, 2011 Nancy rated it really liked it
Very funny
Eva Ehrich
Dec 05, 2015 Eva Ehrich rated it it was amazing
Ambers mom gets a new boyfriend Amber isn't very happy about it.
Noodar Yasmeen
4th in the series.

As usual, I liked it! What's there not to like about it?
P.n.m
Jul 01, 2013 P.n.m rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite book.
Angelina
Feb 08, 2015 Angelina rated it really liked it
it was awesome
Kate
Mar 12, 2009 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this book is really good, Amber is so funny!
Ayanna
Jul 08, 2009 Ayanna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
this book is a girl that mother got divorced and seing this dude called max and amber brown dont like him
  • Junie B., First Grader: Turkeys We Have Loved and Eaten (and Other Thankful Stuff) (Junie B. Jones, #28)
  • Carlotta's Kittens (Cat Pack #3)
  • Ghost Class (Ghostville Elementary #1)
  • Mary Anne and the Library Mystery (Baby-Sitters Club Mystery, #13)
  • The Mystery at the Monkey House (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #10)
  • Soup & Me
  • Super Fast, Out of Control!
Born in Washington, D.C. and raised in New York, Paula Danziger knew since the second grade that she wanted to be a writer. Throughout her career, she wrote a collection of children's stories, including The Cat Ate my Gymsuit, The Divorce Express and, more recently, the Amber Brown series.
Danziger loved to travel and meet young kids all over the world. She was embraced by her audience for her abil
More about Paula Danziger...

Amber Brown (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Amber Brown Is Not a Crayon
  • You Can't Eat Your Chicken Pox, Amber Brown
  • Amber Brown Goes Fourth
  • Forever Amber Brown
  • Amber Brown Sees Red
  • Amber Brown Is Feeling Blue
  • I, Amber Brown (Amber Brown, #8)
  • Amber Brown Is Green With Envy