Start by marking “Dwelling Places: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Dwelling Places: A Novel

Dwelling Places: A Novel

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  176 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Mack and Jodie have no idea how much their lives are going to change when they decide to give up farming. Mack is hospitalized with depression, Jodie finds herself tempted by the affections of another man, and their teenage children begin looking for answers outside the family—Kenzie turns to fundamentalist Christianity, and Taylor starts cavorting with Goths. Told in the...more
Published March 27th 2007 by HarperOne (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Dwelling Places, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dwelling Places

Nancy
Normally, inspirational or Christian fiction is not my thing, but this novel received such good reviews that I thought I would give it a go. It reminded me quite a bit of Jane Smiley's A Thousand Acres, except this farming family has already lost their farm when the story opens. It's also not as dark and has a hopeful ending. The reader feels that, despite everything that has happened, things will work out. The characters are well-drawn and go through some interesting changes in the course of th...more
Linda Boyd
This is a raw look at the lives of Midwestern ex farmers. It not only resonates for farmers or mid westerners but for anyone that is struggling through our current difficult times. It's beautifully written and allows the reader to appreciate the landscape as well as the sometimes awkward family dynamic. All families have their own little secrets and this is a story about the Barne's family. A family of farmers who due to difficult times had to let their farm go. The family also has a history of...more
Karen Williams
I enjoyed reading a book with a more realistic look at depression and how it affects the family of the person struggling with it. I loved this paragraph that concisely sums up what if feels like for the person with depression and the people around them when they first come into contact.

Folks greet them, smiling pleasantly at Mack. They welcome him back but make their greetings short, as if they understand how much he does not want to be put on the spot. It is the same way they greet someone who...more
Aimee
I just finished this book. I got into this book quickly. There was a lot of reasons I empathized with the characters and I thought it was a very realistic story line that shown the domino effect of family problems. How we turn to religion for comfort. About how when people do bad things doesn't necessarily mean they are horrible people. And about how things are not black and white but many shades of grey...It was beautifully written with special intricate details and wonderful insights. HOWEVER,...more
Rebecca Curtis
I thought the characters were endering and the theme of the book of change and acceptance and to moving on was great however the book was really dry and it was hard to plow through. I really enjoyed the son's story which I didn't expect. He is trying to understand himself and to really learn who he is and accept himself. With all the change and the situation with his family I feel like even though he is a "Goth" he really understands how to best deal with his feelings. Even if those feelings are...more
Diane
This contemporary novel follows three generations of an Iowa farm family through a difficult period in their lives. The father has just been released from the hospital for depression, the mother is losing interest in the marriage, and the teenage children are going through a difficult time. The grandmother is also struggling.

The author is a Christian, and she deals with spiritual themes throughout the book. I appreciated the fact that these themes are presented realistically and sincerely rather...more
Deb
Mar 04, 2011 Deb rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
This introspective novel examines the lives of a rural family in crisis. The wife is so tired of trying to hold her family together. Her husband has just returned from a mental health facility. Her daughter is going through an ultra-religious phase and spends hours at the church praying. Her son dresses all in black and is fascinated with death. She herself finds herself returning the attractions of a fellow teacher. As this book goes from one viewpoint to another, we see how the family crisis m...more
Anne
I thought this was beautifully written and painfully true in many places.
Peggy
Moving story about a family and community who has to give up the life of farming. The story starts as the father (Mack) suffers from deep depression and a breakdown due to the losses in his life, of the farm, of his father and his brother. But, as the story evolves it becomes clear that his wife and children and mother also grieve for what was.

A really good story. Because we also live in a farming community I could relate to the story and sense of loss.
Donna Ialongo
Becky
I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as Wright's "Velma Still Cooks in Leeway," but I still thought this one was very good. Here's what makes Wright's books stand out: This book could be about ANY real-life Midwestern farming family -- their stories are that authentic. This family is dealing with losing farms due to economic troubles. Having grown up on a farm, I could really identify with these people's stories.
Joann
A familiar story about farmers losing their farms. My brothers worked full time jobs and kept their land and now rent out the acerage but others in our area in SD did give up farming. My brother says it is too expensive to farm with a tractor costing $150,000. Many of the small farms are gone with the buildings burned down and nearby small towns shrinking...
Kate
A Gut Wrenching Read for this Iowa Girl.

Dwelling Places is a beautifully woven, bittersweet snapshot of what is happening in one Iowa Farm family. The greater story is one of connections lost to our land and to God, but with a message of hope that our roots are our foundation. Mack's story is going to haunt me for awhile.
Teresa
I think of this as a quiet book--a story about a midwest family who has gone through the loss of family members and the family farm. It's about people dealing with that loss--not in a ranting Jonathan Franzen manner--but struggling the way many of us do to understand why "good" people go through bad times.
Maria
Struggles of a farm family as seen through each family member's eyes. This was a good read. I was disappointed at the ending though. But I'm someone who likes endings that wrap everything up. This book leaves you wondering about each family member and that drives me nuts!
Tamra
Apr 27, 2008 Tamra rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: tracy hawkins
Not a spectacular book but moving and realistic. Portrays the losses that can come out of no where and throw everyone into chaos. It also portrays how family members, with all their fralities, do their best to pull things together and survive in new ways of living.
Debbie Howell
Story of an Iowa farm family struggling in the aftermath of the father's suicide attempt. While faith is a part of the story, it's faith through the lens of people's imperfections, misinterpretations, and weaknesses. Excellent and well-written.
Brianne
This book was definitely boring and I had to quit it. I read about 150 pages and realized I still didn't care about the characters. Maybe it got interesting later, but it was taking too much time to get into. Would not recommend to others.
Rick
This is an unusually well-written novel that touched and shook me. The author gets deep into the hearts, lives and pains of her characters. She explores how the uncertainties and periodic losses of farm life sting and damage.
Leroy Seat
This may not be a great novel, but it is a good one. Especially for people rearing on a farm in the Midwest, this is a poignant and realistic story of a family struggling to cope with loss, both of loved ones and property.
Cranky
Another in a string of depressing books I seem to run across. But well-written and interesting, and dealing with themes that are interesting (farm life, religion, depression).
A different book as it was told from the viewpoints of all the family members. It is a bit depressing if you are from a farming/rural background.
Amy
It was NOT a light read! Well-written, thoughtful, but I related a little too well to some of the painful experiences of the characters.
Andrea
This book deals with farm foreclosure, mental illness, and death, but its overall message is one of hope and redemption.
Karen
Interesting enough that I finished the book but I kinda wished to get the time I spent on it back.
Donna
Found it a bit depressing...incorporated too many different family issues for one family.
Lisa
very slow...had to struggle to finish it.
Mary
Sep 29, 2010 Mary rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010, dnf
DNF 150/340 Boring, boring, boring
Erika Stead
Very interesting.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Velma Still Cooks in Leeway Grace at Bender Springs The Soul Tells a Story: Engaging Creativity with Spirituality in the Writing Life The Winter Seeking The Art of Spiritual Writing: How to Craft Prose That Engages and Inspires Your Readers