Start by marking “Junie B. Jones Smells Something Fishy (Junie B. Jones, #12)” as Want to Read:
Junie B. Jones Smells Something Fishy (Junie B. Jones, #12)

Junie B. Jones Smells Something Fishy (Junie B. Jones #12)

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  5,585 Ratings  ·  199 Reviews
Barbara Park’s New York Times bestselling chapter book series, Junie B. Jones, is a classroom favorite and has been keeping kids laughing—and reading—for more than twenty years. Over 60 million copies in print and now with a bright new look for a new generation!

Meet the World’s Funniest Kindergartner—Junie B. Jones! There’s going to be a pet day at school, only guess wha
Published November 17th 1998 by Random House Books (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Junie B. Jones Smells Something Fishy, please sign up.

Delorise Lee sometimes like when she wants what she wants and like that girl named may
Dog Days by Jeff KinneyJunie B., First Grader by Barbara ParkDiary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyRodrick Rules by Jeff KinneyJunie B. Jones and a Little Monkey Business by Barbara Park
Good Books For Anyone
15th out of 70 books — 114 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. SeussAre You My Mother? by P.D. EastmanHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. Seuss
Best books for remembering childhood
36th out of 118 books — 36 voters

More lists with this book...

Dolly
Oct 25, 2008 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is another fun book in the Junie B. Jones series. Our girls tend to prefer books with lots of pictures, but they will sit and listen to these chapter stories. It's a great introduction to chapter books. I sometimes cringe at her choice of words and inaccurate grammar, but it sounds very authentically like a young 5-6 year old and it's sincere.
Jen Donnelly
Jun 14, 2008 Jen Donnelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, humor, read2008
My nephews LOVE the Junie B. books and I finally found out why! I read this one to Cameron today and was laughing out loud. The way Junie B. speaks is hysterical. They brought several on vacation and I do believe I will be reading them all...and perhaps catching up on more of them next time I visit them in MN!
Andi
Jan 12, 2015 Andi rated it liked it
Junie B Jones is so excited to find out her class is having a pet day. The only problem is you cant bring in dogs. Junie's only pet is a dog. Junie has no idea what to bring now. Junie asks her parents to buy her a new pet, but her parents refuse. Junie decides she will just find her own new pet then. Junie thinks of lots of ideas like ants and worms. She remembers her grandpa went on a fishing trip earlier. Too bad her grandma froze it. Instead Junie ends up bringing a fish stick she finds in h ...more
Hailey
Jan 09, 2015 Hailey rated it really liked it
Lexy
Oct 27, 2013 Lexy rated it it was amazing
My grandson brought this book home from the school library and I read it to him over the weekend. Such a cute character is Junie B. And hey, I'm running behind in my reading count for the year and Goodreads has it in their library, so it's good with me! Plus quality time with the grandson!
Sandie
Apr 07, 2011 Sandie rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
I didn't really love these books. I know kids that love them. I found the grammar annoying...Junie is a cute kid and has some interesting mental adventures, but she is a bit ornery and sassy. I didn't love them.
Rebecca
Jun 08, 2014 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Junie B. Jones is just hilarious and holds our interest throughout.
Nicole
Sep 07, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it
This is another hilarious classic about the wonderful Junie B. In this book Mrs tells her students that pet day is around the corner and their class will be celebrating it and all of the students in room nine begin to cheer. The only thing is that Mrs said that if your pet is a cat or dog you cant bring your animal in and you have to bring a picture. Junie B is crushed because she really wanted to bring her dog. When Junie B got home from school that day she talked with Grandma Miller about what ...more
Samantha Graffeo
Jul 26, 2016 Samantha Graffeo rated it really liked it
Title: Junie B. Jones Smells Something Fishy
Author: Barbara Park
Genre: Transitional Chapter Book
Themes: Pets, School, Kindergarten
Opening Line/Sentence: "My Name is Junie B. Jones."
Brief Book Summary: Junie B. Jones is upset because she is not allowed to bring her dog to school for Pet Day and she doesn’t want to bring just a picture. So, she tries to come up with other animals she could bring in like a raccoon, a dead fish, or some other unusual ideas.
Professional Review #1: Carolyn Phela
Ally
Mar 29, 2016 Ally added it
Title: Junie B. Jones Smells Something Fishy
Author: Barbara Park
Genre: Transitional Chapter Book
Theme(s): Problem-Solving/Making the Most of Things
Opening line/sentence: “My name is Junie B. Jones.”
Professional Recommendatio
Ariel Smith
May 07, 2015 Ariel Smith rated it it was amazing
Personal Reaction: I loved Junie B. when I was younger so I decided to relive my childhood and reread some of them. This one has ALWAYS been my favorite. Its so funny and really helps you relive your childhood by remembering all the “pets” you had. Junie decides that her “pet” is going to be a dead fish that her grandparents caught on their fishing trip. I can’t say I ever did this, but it is funny to children and really fun to read.

Independent read: This book would be best for first grade girl
Heather Hilliker
In this children's chapter book, Junie B.’s classroom is going to celebrate pets in this novel. The teacher tells students that they can bring in their pets, but not cats or dogs. Junie B. Jones is upset, since she has a dog and was looking forward to showing it off. Junie B. Jones goes home and strategizes with her grandparents about what she could bring to class that would be acceptable. After many attempts with jarred animals, Junie B. Jones finally gets the right pet when her grandparents br ...more
Helena
Apr 15, 2010 Helena rated it it was amazing
I remember reading this book in about 2nd or 3rd grade and it just had me laughing so hard I was crying. Honestly, I still read it and have a good chuckle. Who can't laugh at a kindergarten class having Pet Day but Mrs. won't allow the kindergarteners to bring cats or dogs? What's Junie B. to do? This book is just another classic book you just have to read to appreciate it properly. It's cute and funny and it is a nice quick read in those 30 minutes before school.
Kristen Carson
Dec 09, 2014 Kristen Carson rated it liked it
Shelves: t-l-307, fiction
Book Information:
The genre of this book is comedy and humor. The reading level is for grades first and second.
Summary:
Jennifer Olsker
Jan 19, 2015 Jennifer Olsker rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-books
I originally read this book as a young child. Even though i wouldn't read this book for information or entertainment at my age, I can still see how this book kept my interest as a child. I enjoyed this book because it had a topic that was relevant to me. While in school, I was always interested in bringing in items for show and tell, and other similar activities. I believe this book is appropriate for a younger/beginning reader because although the story follows a timeline that involves multiple ...more
Michelle
Apr 05, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
I may be too old for Junie B Jones books...but I have to admit, that when I read them to my kids I LAUGH MY HEAD OFF! I won't add each one that I've read. We try to read them all. If you like to read to your kids and you want to laugh I recommend these books. They totally crack me up.
Natasha
Feb 02, 2009 Natasha rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Natasha by: a friend
This book is laugh-out-loud funny. Junie B. has a hard time coming up with a pet to bring for pet day, since she can't bring her dog. She has several ideas, which don't turn out that well (or her parents don't agree with). Finally she finds the "most well-behaved pet" and brings it in.
Emo
Jan 09, 2008 Emo rated it it was amazing
I love all of the Junie B. books, but this is my favorite. She is so funny!! She does get a little mouthy sometimes, and her grammar isn't fabulous, but she is a lot like a lot of the kids that are kindergarten and first grade and that's what makes her wonderful.
Joni
Nov 17, 2015 Joni rated it really liked it
Junie B is always great for a quick and entertaining read. You can sit down and take it all in in 1/2 hour and love every moment. They must be more entertaining for adults to read than for kids, since you can see the humor in so much that she says.
Rosa
Mar 21, 2009 Rosa rated it liked it
It's a good book. It's funny because Junie B.'s gramma goes fishing and catches four fish. Junie B. thinks they will be pets. She needs one for pet day at school! Her mother and daddy have different ideas. It's pretty funny.
Karen
I think this may be my favorite Junie B. - and that's saying a lot. Love that girl!

6/2014 - reread with the kids - they didn't enjoy this one as much as some of the others, but still an enjoyable Junie B. read!
ABC
Apr 03, 2009 ABC rated it it was amazing
Shelves: younger-kids
I didn't think this was quite as funny as some of the other Junie B. books, but my six year old son thought it was hilarious. It has everything he could want: a worm, ants, a dead fly, and a dead fish.
Madison Lakey
Apr 29, 2015 Madison Lakey added it
Shelves: t-l-307
It was pet day at school, and Junie B. Jones was faced with a dilemma - no dogs allowed. A dog was all Junie B. Jones had, and her parents were not buying it as an excuse for her to get a new pet. So Junie B. Jones was put with a challenge - what will she come to school with, worms, a jar of ants, maybe a stinky smelly fish. This book can be use to induce the week you do show and tell to a class room. Students can either bring in what they want to show to the class or they could bring a picture ...more
Shelli
Mar 02, 2008 Shelli rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite Junie B. Jones so far. Loved it. We (my daughter and I) laughed so hard. Junie B. is desperate to find a pet for pet day and ends up being the most creative student in Room Nine.
Abby
May 20, 2011 Abby rated it it was ok
It was ok because there was pet day but her pet was a fishstick and it dosn't even make sense because fishsticks are food not pets.
Charlotte
Jan 28, 2016 Charlotte rated it really liked it
Pet Day is coming and Junie B. is exited. Then she finds out that she can't bring her dog, only his picture! Junie B. tries to find the perfect pet, but she can't find one. When she does find one, its not what you might expect.
As usual, Junie B. fills the book with laughs and giggles. She makes kindergarten and the book really funny, with her sense of humour and funny opinions. Age range 6 and up.
I like this book because its resides me of one of my favourite books Ramona the Pest. My favourit
Edward Creter
Jun 21, 2014 Edward Creter rated it really liked it
JUnie B. Jones, that irrepressible kindergarten kid, remains irreverent and irresistable. Her twelfth adventure has her eagerly awaiting Pet Day, only certain pets aren't allowed on school property. (Dogs and cats leave nasty surprises on the carpet. THAT'S WHY! DUH!) So Junie tries everything to impress her teacher with real creative ideas from digging for earthworms to catching flies for her ar, eventually subsisting for taking to class (ready for this?) A FISH STICK!!! Gasp! What, I ask, will ...more
Alexandra
Jan 08, 2015 Alexandra rated it it was amazing
Katie
Sep 18, 2008 Katie rated it liked it
THESE BOOKS ARE SO CUTE IF U HAVE A SIBLING IN FIRST-SECOND GRADE THIS WOULD BE PERFECT
Staci
Sep 06, 2007 Staci rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Elementary-age kids and their parents
If it's Junie B it has got to B good! All of the books in this series are hysterical!
Mystery 2 8 Dec 02, 2014 12:07PM
EDCI 325 Fall 2012: Junie B. Jones Smells Something Fishy 1 3 Oct 31, 2012 10:32AM
  • Amber Brown Wants Extra Credit
  • Judy Moody Declares Independence (Judy Moody #6)
  • The Mystery of the UFO (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #2)
  • Viking Ships At Sunrise (Magic Tree House, #15)
  • Ivy and Bean: No News Is Good News (Ivy and Bean, #8)
  • Stanley, Flat Again! (Flat Stanley, #6)
  • Drat! You Copycat! (Katie Kazoo, Switcheroo, #7)
  • Arthur and the Scare-Your-Pants-Off-Club (Arthur Chapter Book, #2)
Barbara Park received over 40 awards for her books, including 25 Children's Choice awards.

Park was the daughter of a merchant and a secretary, Doris and Brooke Tidswell. She grew up in Mount Holly Township, New Jersey. From 1965 to 1967, she attended Rider College, later finishing her B.S. in 1969 at the University of Alabama. She married Richard A. Park in 1969. She lived in Phoenix, Arizona for
More about Barbara Park...

Junie B. Jones (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Junie B. Jones and the  Stupid Smelly Bus (Junie B. Jones, #1)
  • Junie B. Jones and a Little Monkey Business (Junie B. Jones, #2)
  • Junie B. Jones and Her Big Fat Mouth (Junie B. Jones, #3)
  • Junie B. Jones and Some Sneaky Peeky Spying (Junie B. Jones, #4)
  • Junie B. Jones and the Yucky Blucky Fruitcake (Junie B. Jones, #5)
  • Junie B. Jones and That Meanie Jim's Birthday (Junie B. Jones, #6)
  • Junie B. Jones Loves Handsome Warren (Junie B. Jones, #7)
  • Junie B. Jones Has a Monster Under Her Bed (Junie B. Jones, #8)
  • Junie B. Jones Is Not a Crook (Junie B. Jones, #9)
  • Junie B. Jones Is a Party Animal (Junie B. Jones, #10)