More Than You Know: Finding Financial Wisdom in Unconventional Places

More Than You Know: Finding Financial Wisdom in Unconventional Places

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  266 ratings  ·  15 reviews

One of Wall Street's most creative and influential minds offers provocative new ways of thinking about the stock market, investing, and how we make decisions.

Published April 21st 2006 by Columbia University Press (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about More Than You Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Than You Know

Omar Halabieh
The core premise of this book is best summarized by the author: "More Than You Know's core premise is simple to explain but devilishly difficult to live: you will be better investor, executive, parent, friend - person - if you approach problems from a multidisciplinary perspectives". He then details his approach: "While the essays cover a range of topics, I categorize them into four parts - investment philosophy, psychology of investing, innovation and competitive strategy, and science and compl...more
Todd Nemet
I liked this interesting book by the "Chief Investment Stratigest" as Leggs Mason and Columbia Business School professor. It is a collection of quick essays (blog posts?) on different topics -- some not normally associated with investing -- and how they might be applied to investing. A lot of the essays deal with one facet or another of behavioral science, but things get more interesting when he muses on things like Zipf's power law, the accelerating rate of innovation, and decision making in th...more
Steve Bradshaw
A little shallow, but some interesting ideas from a range of fields (genetics, baseball, gambling, basketball, etc...) applied to investing. Given his unassuming and entertaining writing style, I was surprising to learn that Mauboussin is the "Chief Investment Strategist" at Legg Mason and previously at Credit Suisse. He also doubles as a Columbia Business School professor.

One of the better essays is a discussion on Outcome vs. Process taken from Moneyball that now appears in several other books...more
Tyson Strauser
Mauboussin's book draws on his diverse knowledge of biological, psychological, demographic, and historical fields of study to argue that investment process can be observed in many places outside of business.

His sweeping discussion, from behaviorial finance/economics to biological Darwinism and choice, offers insight to investors that seek to understand the decision trees we subconsciously follow that affect our perception of risk/reward in an uncertain world.

Arguing for a multi-disciplinary app...more
Franco Arda
After reading this book, it went immediately into my personal list of the top 10 of investment books.

The author doesn't miss any FUNDAMENTAL point in investing. My personal favorites:

- Process and Outcome in Investing*
- Frequency Versus Magnitude
- Risk and Uncertainty
- Emotion and Decision Making
- The Hot Hand

* the whole chapter is on [...] - I only glanced at the site and new immediately that I had to buy this outstanding book
Chung Yen
Got tied up awhile... took me bout a month to finish this book @@

Anyway this book serves a nice guidance for ur future ref/thinking. The author studied/look into many other areas when writing this book. Behavioral econs concepts are constantly applied. If you like the ideas from diverse areas, I think you will enjoy this :)
Adam Hecklinger
Great book. Mauboussin brings a refreshing and unique prespective into how we should think about the capital markets.
Todd
This book was included in my book: The 100 Best Business Books of All Time. www.100bestbiz.com
Pyoungsung Choi
통찰력에 대해서 깊이 있게 고민하게 하는 책이다. 투자를 단순하게 PER, PBR 등 여러 가지 단순화된 지표로만 판단해서는 안 된다고 강력하게 경고하고 있다. 그 근거는 주식시장 자체가 복잡계이기 때문에 기계론적인 사고로 선형적인 인과관계를 가정한 단순한 투자법은 위험할 수 있다는 것이다. 투자에 대한 다양한 생각을 다양한 학문에서 근거를 가져와서 정리하는데, 깊이가 있다. 신경과학, 복잡계 이론, 진화생물학 등등 다양한 분야의 깊이있는 저자의 학식에도 놀라게 만든다. 결론은 역시 통찰력이 필요하다인데, 나 같은 범인은 그것이 없으니 아쉬울 따름이다. 초보적인 투자자를 위한 책은 아니다.
Lamech Mariita
You should definitely read this book if you are into investing, psychology, behavior, influence, and why people make decisions they do. This book provides an excellent way for investors to avoid errors that others have made and will continue to make. The point of the book is simple: by paying attention to the decision-making process, investors can make better choices to improve their long-term results. This book is different than other investment related books and it's definitely worth reading.
Tirath
Too theoretical for me. I kept glancing over each chapter and once in a while, I would bore down into what the author was trying to say.
So, sure, there are interesting things in the book.
A good way to approach this book is in the form of multi-disciplinary learning; the book refreshes one's mind towards the various facets of investing and how it is not so much about the numbers.

Girish
This is an excellent book for all rational investors. It contains wealth of market insights...something every serious investor needs to know about. Because learning from one's own errors is very costly education in the financial markets. Definitely recommended.
Zhong
It is a very informative book. Same points are confusing me. The finance book with least data I ever read. I was thinking this book will be readable if writer add some data and facts. Over all, this book is worth to read.
Jay
Jan 08, 2012 Jay marked it as to-read
Shelves: biz-books
Time 100
Thomas Braziel
Thomas Braziel marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Tj
Tj marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Halim Umur
Halim Umur marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Stanley Yang
Stanley Yang marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Ados
Ados marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Malte.hinz
Malte.hinz marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Grant Weherley
Grant Weherley marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Phil Truslove
Phil Truslove marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Karan Shah
Karan Shah marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
  • Lucky or Smart?: Secrets to an Entrepreneurial Life
  • The Dhandho Investor: The Low-Risk Value Method to High Returns
  • The Little Book of Behavioral Investing: How Not to Be Your Own Worst Enemy
  • Margin of Safety: Risk-Averse Value Investing Strategies for the Thoughtful Investor
  • What the CEO Wants You to Know: Using Your Business Acumen to Understand How Your Company Really Works
  • A New Brand World: Eight Principles for Achieving Brand Leadership in the Twenty-First Century
  • The Power of Intuition: How to Use Your Gut Feelings to Make Better Decisions at Work
  • Financial Intelligence: A Manager's Guide to Knowing What the Numbers Really Mean
  • Devil Take the Hindmost:  A History of Financial Speculation
  • Security Analysis: Principles and Technique
  • Poor Charlie's Almanack: The Wit and Wisdom of Charles T. Munger
  • My Years with General Motors
  • The Most Important Thing: Uncommon Sense for the Thoughtful Investor
  • Value Investing: From Graham to Buffett and Beyond
  • The Republic of Tea: : The Story of the Creation of a Business, as Told Through the Personal Letters of Its Founders
  • Capital Ideas: The Improbable Origins of Modern Wall Street
  • Toyota Production System
  • Financial Shenanigans: How to Detect Accounting Gimmicks & Fraud in Financial Reports

Michael J. Mauboussin is Chief Investment Strategist at Legg Mason Capital Management. Prior to joining LMCM in 2004, Michael was a Managing Director and Chief U.S. Investment Strategist at Credit Suisse. Michael joined CS in 1992 as a packaged food industry analyst. He is a former president of the Consumer Analyst Group of New York and was repeatedly named to Institutional Investors All-America R

More about Michael J. Mauboussin...
Think Twice: Harnessing the Power of Counterintuition The Success Equation More Than You Know: Finding Financial Wisdom in Unconventional Places (Updated and Expanded) Frontiers of Finance L' investitore saggio. Viaggio nell'imprevedibilità dei mercati