Start by marking “The Land of Night (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Land of Night (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #3)

The Land of Night (Scarlet and the White Wolf #3)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  1,248 ratings  ·  97 reviews
Struggling to come to terms with his new life in Rshan na Ostre, young Scarlet is trying to find his place in a decadent, foreign society that bears an ancient hatred for all Hilurin. As Liall is pulled away from Scarlet and into the jaded intrigues of a royal court, the young pedlar wonders if they've made a terrible mistake in journeying to Rshan. Each passing day, Liall ...more
Published 2007 by Torquere Press

To ask other readers questions about The Land of Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Land of Night

Luck in the Shadows by Lynn FlewellingMagic's Pawn by Mercedes LackeyStalking Darkness by Lynn FlewellingTraitor's Moon by Lynn FlewellingMagic's Price by Mercedes Lackey
Best Fantasy Books with Gay Main Characters
22nd out of 557 books — 1,295 voters
Luck in the Shadows by Lynn FlewellingCaptive Prince by C.S. PacatStalking Darkness by Lynn FlewellingCaptive Prince by C.S. PacatTruth in the Dark by Amy Lane
Best Gay Fantasy Romance
32nd out of 464 books — 837 voters

More lists with this book...

I'm not really sure there's anything left unsaid about this series so I'm not going to try because honestly my skills are no where near adequate for this one so I'm just going to say...

"I love Scarlet, I love Liall, I freaking loved this series. Start to finish it was freaking fantastic. Add my name to the list of those who are anxiously awaiting the next book because when it's released I am so there."

Also...thanks M'rella for kicking my ass to the e-reader on this one.
Snapshot of me... reading the end of the book

NOW HERE'S SOMETHING THAT DOESN'T HAPPEN EVERYDAY ...... a fantasy book that (view spoiler)

anxiously waiting for the next book

and oh yeah, 5 stars and no doubt! THIS ONE is my favorite book of the se
Aug 13, 2014 TL rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to TL by: Lola
There is plenty of intrigue and hidden/not-so hidden danger in the court of Rshan, and plenty of secrets, spying, and even some double crossing *cough*VLADEI*cough*

Scarlet and Liall are both trying to navigate this hotbed in their own ways. Liall is trying to help uphold his brothers' claim to to the throne, and has tread carefully, specially with a certain family member.

There was one scene with Scarlet on the snow bear hunt and near the end where my heart was in my throat, saying over and over
2,5 stars
I really liked the beginning that settled a great ambiance of court machinations in an icy, labyrinthic castle and I thought : wow, fantasy Medici in a fantasy Louvre!
Sadly, I steadily lost interest until the bear hunt that occurred at approximately 60% and was breathtaking, lost it again and finally read the last 30% with mild interest but no thrill.

3 stars for the whole series
I liked the first book very much : the light characterization and exploration of the characters’ relationshi
My honest opinion about this series: not so good.
The story has potential, but the writing is just... I dunno.... not good. There is a lot of telling how people are, but not showing us by their actions. Scarlet is supposed to be a temperamental guy, but hardly ever acts it. We also are told at least 3 or 4 times in as many pages that his race, the Hilurin, has black hair, pale skin and black eyes. Things like that.

The first 50 pages of the first book introduce all these lands and races of people
The Land of Night is a bit longer than the first two books, and there's a lot going on -- it's much more political than the first book, and more evenly paced than the second. There were a lot more likeable characters than in the second book, too -- Nadiushka, Cestimir, Jochi... It isn't at all gentle with those characters, so of course I got my heart bruised a little, but still -- it was better with them than if they hadn't been present or if they'd been unlikeable.

The world-building does come t
Damon Suede
A dazzling conclusion to this trilogy.

Crow opts to focus on royal machinations of the I, Claudius and Claudius the God variety in this slam-bang finish to her series. As always, she deepends the growth and intimacy between her protagonists and refracts their development with event and incident that force thrilling, terrible choices from all. Breathtaking romantic writing.

This is a bar by which to measure other gay romance fantasies. I am only sad that I've finished, except that now I can go back
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*

Все. Я довольна. Одним счастливым читателем сегодня больше!
Даже не знаю, хочу ли читать дальше. По мне так история вполне себе закончилась.
still awesome! And I am not getting bored yet. Only one book to go.
Jul 12, 2011 Cayce rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
My favorite of this series was second book, after that the first, and this third one got the 3rd place. But this one still got 4 stars.
It was a well balanced series, never reached 5 stars (for me), but never got boring or average.
And just loved the covers (all three of them). It was a great idea. Scarlet on the first one, which was more like his story, Liall on the second, because we are entering his world. And on the last they are together as they should be, from now on to forever.
It seemed like a great trilogy, and it was, up until the end. It's no fun when a poor conclusion to a great journey spoils the first impression from the series. It'd have been so much better if they left the land of night to see what the rest of the world has to offer and never came back.
Hugely dissapointed.
2 stars

3 stars for the series

(If you haven’t read Books 1 & 2 in the series, this review will/can/might contain spoilers. I’m so verklempt over it all, I can’t decide...)

Poor Scarlet. He started off such a dynamic, colorful character in book one -- full of wanderlust and chutzpah. There, he met up with the dashing Liall, a sexy, wolfish bandit leader. It is this initial dynamic that drew them to each other. So, it’s a shame that in this third installment, Scarlet becomes a shadow of himself,
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
There's still a lot to do before this series is over, I think the end of the book is the point where a whole new storyline begins.

The first book is my favorite and it coincides with Scarlet's journey. In the second and in the third book I felt as if Scarlet's spirit was stifled in a claustrophobic ship or a labyrinthic palace. Except for the very last 20% of the book, where the protagonists are forced to wander outside again, the book was confined to small spaces. On one hand I'm sure it served
I'm confused. Is this not the last book? Because I do not see how this solves the succession problem in the slightest, merely postpones it. (view spoiler)

And what about Scarlet's wanderlust? Or was that line about "home is where he is" supposed to neatly tie that up? Yeah, not sure I'm buying that. (I sort of prefer how that issue
This book could have had a lot more of an emotional impact on me than it already did (it's lucky I didn't cry more really), but Crow's foreshadowing helped soften the blow I took while reading this book. Honestly though, I expected a lot more tragedy throughout these books than I've gotten. A lot of that is because I've been comparing them to Mercedes Lackey's "the gay books" Valdemar: The Last Herald-Mage which is so full of angst that it makes your heart bleed if you fall in love with the ch ...more
amelia cavendish
Whilst I liked some aspects of this book, mainly the different culture of the Rshan and Scarlet's struggle against the prejudice in court and the character of Scarlet whose narrative was always fun and full of emotion, I found this a frustrating read in places and didn't enjoy it as much as the previous two parts of the series. Liall's constant secret keeping was annoying and cast a shadow over the relationship between the characters. The end, with the reveal about the true nature of Scarlet and ...more
More or less a satisfactory ending. Most of the mysteries were essentially resolved. However, in the style of a fantasy rather than romance book, the ending did not really give us a happily ever after - did not really resolve the tension in their relationship.

But it also did not really explore the potential of the magic system. In this plot, it does not entirely make sense for the magic system to be completely explained and the "spirits of the dead" plot device for explaining the amount Mr. Crow
Don Bradshaw
Everyone's hopes and dreams get shot to hell in this awesome third installment of this great series. This book is full of good old soap opera like palace intrigue. People shuffle and lie for places of prominence as the old queen gets ready to pass the crown on to Cestimir. Lies threaten to tear Liall and Scarlet apart as the two men spend more and more time apart. It's difficult to write more without giving too much away. The story flowed perfectly and held my attention. The ending was a surpri ...more
I started the first book yesterday and finished all three by today. It was hard to stop until I knew Scarlet and Liall were going to be safe.

This installment reminded me of the political intrigue of Game of Thrones but perhaps and thankfully less bloody. I kept vacillating between siding with Liall and wanting to slap some sense into him. Likewise Scarlet was at times extremely patient and at times...well let's just say I could not understand for the life of me why he and Cestimir would go for b
Liall's irrational behaviour grates on my nerves. He doesn't tell Scarlet who is enemy or friend, but is angry with him when he talks with Liall's most powerful enemies. He doesn't even tell his lover his (Scarlet's) own court name "Keriss kir Nazheradei" but lets him think this "Keriss" is just a greeting. Is that insecurity, sadism or plain stupidity?

This series started out great and ended boring.
Delightful conclusion to this m/m romance fantasy/sci-fi trilogy.
'I called him my t'aishka, and he does not even know what I mean by it, for I am afraid to say it aloud. Twice-beloved. Twice-chosen. A lover I have known beyond life. It was his face in my dreams all those years, and yet ... it was not. We have known each other before.'
Liall's not actually a particularly likable character, is he?

The story is simple, yet at the same time, there are subtleties to it that are simply amazing. The romance is nicely balanced with the intricately woven web of intrigue and nuances.

And the characterization got a lot better :D
4.5 stars for this book. Endless costume descriptions wore me down, but I think it's somewhat of a necessary evil. Very interesting twist in the end - fantasy turn sci-fi.
Through most of the story, I had to read in bits and pieces because Liall kept exasperating me. Whereas I found Scarlet more annoying in the first book, the tides reversed sometime during the second book.

For people of very different backgrounds - opposite, even - forgoing talks and not explaining things to your partner, repeatedly, is simply asking for trouble. Though it's a common plot device (in contemporary romances, at least) and practically made impossible by circumstances here, I would hav
  • Lord of the White Hell (Lord of the White Hell, #2)
  • Sacred Fate (Chronicles of Ylandre #1)
  • Lords of Kellesborne (The Draegan Lords, #2)
  • Prisoner (Kria, #1)
  • Kei's Gift (Darshian Tales, #1)
  • Dynasty of Ghosts
  • Crescendo (Song of the Fallen, #2)
  • Raven and the Wolf (Eyrder Saga, #1)
  • The Archer's Heart
  • Strange Fortune
  • Snowflakes and Embers
  • The Bonding (Gaven, #2)
Kirby Crow worked as an entertainment editor and ghostwriter for several years before happily giving it up to bake brownies, read yaoi, play video games, and write her own novels. Whenever she isn't slaying Orcs or flying a battleship for the glory of the Amarr Empire, she can be found in the kitchen, her vegetable garden, or at the keyboard, tapping away at her next book.

Kirby is a winner of the
More about Kirby Crow...

Scarlet and the White Wolf (5 books)
  • The Pedlar and the Bandit King (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #1)
  • Mariner's Luck (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #2)
  • The King of Forever (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #4)
  • The Temple Road (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #5)
The Pedlar and the Bandit King (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #1) Mariner's Luck (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #2) Angels of the Deep Prisoner of the Raven The King of Forever (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #4)

“What do you do when home is a person, Liall? Don't I have the right to fight for you?” 0 likes