Start by marking “Surrender The Pink” as Want to Read:
Surrender The Pink

Surrender The Pink

3.4  ·  Rating Details ·  1,122 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
Dinah Kaufman writes scripts for a living, and it fits: her life is full of bad lines. Particularly with men. They are all losers. Worse, they turn her down. Imagine her feelings when she finds a real man, Rudy Gendler, polished and successful, who loves her and wants to get married.

Alas, he is not what he seems and the marriage ends just short of disaster. Dinah pulls her

Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published August 22nd 1991 by Books on Tape, Inc. (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Surrender The Pink, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Surrender The Pink

Ubalstecha
Mar 19, 2011 Ubalstecha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-reads
Dinah Kaufman writes for a soap opera. Her scripts tend to be retellings of her love life, where she re-examines the conversations, events and fights that she has had with her lovers. Most significant among these is Rudy Gendler, noted playwright with whom Dinah had a lengthy relationship. (She calls him her ex-husband.)

Dinah has dumped him, and thought she has moved on, but when she finds out that Rudy has found another to love, someone who is a complete opposite of her, she becomes obsessed wi
Kasia
May 29, 2011 Kasia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't usually read books where the relationship between a man and a woman takes center stage, the horrors that imitate real life are draining and exhausting at times, only making me feel lucky that I don't have to deal with such things. Luckily this book was so much more than that, it was a lot of fun to read and the ending didn't suck, I loved it! After reading "Wishful Drinking" and "Postcards from the Edge" I was ready for one more Carrie Fisher book before I switched themes for a while, th ...more
Monica
Mar 10, 2009 Monica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A friend actually recommended "Postcards from the Edge" but when I spotted "Surrender the Pink" sitting on the shelf at my local library, I decided to check it out first. In what is typical early '90's chick lit, "Surrender the Pink" follows soap opera writer, Dinah, as she addresses the various relationships with men in her life (her ex-husband, father, and earlier liaisons) with the possibility of self-discovery at the end (no spoilers here). Carrie Fisher is actually pretty hilarious and I th ...more
Em
Mar 06, 2011 Em rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found it boring from the start. As far as I understand this book deals with a 20 something woman working in the TV industry who is bent upon forming relationships with unsuitable men, mostly father figures. After the relationship bursts, she is fond of contemplating what went wrong, before jumping into similar relationship. I couldnot focus my attention on the book, turning pages was becoming a task. Finally I left it somewhere around the 60th page. I was surprised to see many 4 and 5 star rev ...more
Karis
Apr 17, 2016 Karis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me be clear, I did not choose to read this book from the title (rather horrible title IMO). I did read Postcards from the Edge which was rather good. So I felt encouraged to buy Ms Fisher's book (also it was 20 cents).
It's also important to state that this book was published in 1990, so the topic(s) of gender politics, and discussions of is it a man's world etc seemed a tad dated.
Some interesting, albeit not new ideas, on why we choose to love who we love are explored (hint, it's something t
Amelia
Nov 11, 2015 Amelia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know what I was expecting exactly, some expose of life after Star Wars or something. I thought it would be fun to read a book by Princess Leia! I did realize when purchasing the book that is was not going to be what I thought, having found it in the fiction section at the book store along with there being several other books on the shelf by the same author. But, for $3 I thought I'd give it a go anyway. I know, I know, Postcards From the Edge... where have I been living, an Arctic weathe ...more
Emma Doherty
Found the first third uproariously funny, however the tone is not enough to atone for the plot- which flips constantly between yawn-inducing and a string of increasingly embarrassing situations that make you squirm as a reader. It makes me feel mean saying this because the main character is based primarily on Carrie Fisher herself, whom I love, but god! Interior monologues are one thing, the rampant narcissism of a character like Dinah is entirely another.
Britt Griffith
Nov 13, 2011 Britt Griffith rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Shelves: chick-lit, fiction
I hate to be mean but this was the worst book I've ever read. The plot was dumb, the characters were dull and unlikeable, and the narrator often went off on a tangent that was difficult to understand. This was not the typical chick-lit that I was expecting and I don't mean that in a good way. I give it an F.
Thomas Strömquist
What Postcards from the Edge promised, this one did not keep, unfortunately. The story never gets any flow and I frequently got sidetracked when trying to keep up with the characters.
Helmali
Nov 28, 2013 Helmali rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I found this book a bit tiresome and boring, since it was going on and on about the feelings and thoughts of the main character Dinah.
Maya B
Jan 16, 2013 Maya B rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh...
Sarah Sammis
Aug 31, 2007 Sarah Sammis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: released
Surrender the Pink was as enjoyable a read as Postcards from the Edge. Fisher does a good job of letting her characters age and mature although all of them remain somewhat troubled. I found Surrender the Pink an intriguing follow up to Bachelor Girl, a cultural history of the single working woman. Dinah, the protagonist, is a classic example of the conflicted single gal. She loves her job, likes sleeping alone and yet wants to married and maybe have a baby. She toys with trying to get back toget ...more
Llima
Jun 16, 2014 Llima rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't get it. I loved Carrie Fisher's one woman show and I think she's brilliant. But I just could not get into this book. I kept saying, "Maybe the next chapter will make it better," but it never did. Most of the time I wanted to slap Dinah for being such a melodramatic brat. I just could not relate to her. I have another book of Fisher's at home and I'm seriously debating if I want to read it.
Lisa
Jul 10, 2015 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's like going to the store and buying your third favorite candy. It will still do in a pinch but doesn't have the same satisfaction as the thing you were really thinking of eating. Then the guilt of eating something with all these calories that only sort of left you satisfied. It is an easy read. The snappy dialogue doesn't seem like it is very natural. The narrator speaking doesn't match the main character in description. Is she really so world-weary in her 30s? I am thinking another Carrie F ...more
Hrh
Feb 11, 2016 Hrh rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book fictionally deals with Fisher's on again/off again romance with the singer Paul Simon. The woman has a way with words. Very clever most of the time. Does get a bit too navel-gazing and a little too contemplative at times. But a genuinely unique and imaginative voice. Content Warning for those who like to monitor their reading intake: I'd give it a strong PG-13 to R rating, so proceed at your own risk ...
Rita
May 31, 2016 Rita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining, quick read about a young woman's search for love, and even more so, for a stable relationship in which she's accepted for who she is. The story includes a good bit of introspection by the heroine trying to make sense of her romantic relationships and why she has trouble with them.
Selina
May 08, 2015 Selina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this quasi autobiographical book of Carrie Fisher's life.
Some elements of madcap craziness in it, but then, she was writing a soap opera.
Betty
Jan 05, 2016 Betty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
A tiny bit scattered and rambling at points, but on the whole, this was sharp, funny, and thoughtful. Worth reading for a good sense of Fisher's ability to use her own experiences to create original, lively characters (while also meta-commenting on her own tendency to use her real life for her fiction). Also worth reading for the fun of guessing which parts are most inspired by Paul Simon.
Elisabeth
The book's not bad, I mean its Carrie Fisher, so part of me is always gonna love it, but this book wasn't really about her. It sorta was, but only about the part of her that loved Paul Simon which means the book was about something that went nowhere and thats not very satifying.
I felt she did the opposite of what male writers do when they write a book about their doomed love of a woman. Shes perfect untill shes not and then its her fault. In this book Rudy was perfect but because Dinah wasnt it
ingvild
Feb 09, 2016 ingvild rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cult, 2016
i enjoyed the sex part, not so much the love part. well, if that isn't just the story of my life...
Letitia
Sep 19, 2014 Letitia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
Managed to force myself to read the first 150 pages, but then I just couldn't take it anymore. This book is so boring and I absolutely hate the weird way in which it is written. Horrible.
Maju Msn
Aug 18, 2015 Maju Msn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't finish this book. There was too much telling and not enough showing, and it was too boring to slog through.
Mike
Oct 23, 2010 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
A "3.5" more than a mere "3" I say.

I read this book after "Postcards From the Edge" and did not like it quite as much (hence my lower rating.) Perhaps it was the material, but I suspect it was also the comparison with my enjoyment and fondness for the prior book. I can't say for certain without re-reading it.

What I can say is that the book has merit: it is funny and sarcastic, well-written, and takes aim at life and how we live it. Always a good choice. If you want something that isn't too "heav
Chiomaah Ugo Nwachukwu
What I loved most about this was the short lessons on animal reproductive behaviors at the beginning of each chapter. I hardly understood the dialogues and monologues.
Feb 22, 2009 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
Absolutely a girly weekend read, the main topic being modern romance (really modern - difficult relationships, break ups, post-break up sex, and a dash of either poly and infidelity) I'm curious about her description of the main character, Dinah, and what I think may be a bipolar nature - her two moods, Roy and Pam.

Carrie Fisher is a witty and sharp writer. I appreciated the development and personalities each character had. None were villains, none were perfect. The ending struck me as a bit ..
Kate
Oct 30, 2015 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-unowned, fiction
Reading anything by Carrie Fisher is as easy as breathing, I swear. Her prose is light but intense in a way that's difficult to describe. Though Dinah's situation (a divorce) are out of my realm of experience, it's hard not to connect with someone as sharp and as funny as her.

Kaethe
Read it for the funny, funny writing. I can't remember the plot at all, but Fisher is funny as hell.
Aurelie
Dec 21, 2011 Aurelie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
This book is so 90's, all I could hear while reading it was the saxophone playing (especially during those numerous sex scenes).
It kind of felt like a Harlequin book, and that wasn't what I wanted to read at all. Actually, I first thought it was Carrie Fisher's autobiography, except obviously it wasn't. Next time I'll check twice the title at the library (damn you translated titles! In french this book is called "Hollywood Lovers")
KATIE
  • Full Catastrophe
  • The Bleeding Heart
  • A Dangerous Woman
  • Ludmila's Broken English
  • Echoes of Lies (Brodie Farrell, #1)
  • Domestic Pleasures
  • The Book Of Rachael
  • As It Is in Heaven
  • One More River
  • From the Diary of a Snail
Carrie Frances Fisher is an American actress, screenwriter and novelist. She is most famous for her portrayal of Princess Leia in the original Star Wars trilogy.
More about Carrie Fisher...

“Sometimes she’d just walk around the city alone. Watch the people, smell the food, the bus exhaust, the smoke coming up through the grating. She’d feel protected somehow, found a sense of belonging in the hectic sprawl. And the next minute she’d feel like the one who couldn’t break the code, hit the right stride, catch the wave. Potholes and traffic and bums, oh my. With all the honking and the hum of movement, the living, breathing blur of noise gently pressing in on her, the great purr of the Metropolitan Cat turning into a dull roar. She’d feel so silent on the inside, her head as quiet as a stretch of sand, a cathedral silently worshipping the life that was all around her, storing it up for later when she needed some 'too much' to draw upon.” 6 likes