Start by marking “The Best Story” as Want to Read:
The Best Story

The Best Story

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  200 ratings  ·  60 reviews
The best story is one that comes from the heart The library is having a contest for the best story, and the quirky narrator of this story just has to win that rollercoaster ride with her favorite author! But what makes a story the best? Her brother Tim says the best stories have lots of action. Her father thinks the best stories are the funniest. And Aunt Jane tells her th...more
Published May 29th 2008 by Dial

To ask other readers questions about The Best Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Story

Megan Bernhard
The Best Story is about a little girl who finds out about a story writing contest and the winner get to ride a roller coaster with what happens to be her favorite author. She looks to her family for help in deciding what to write her story about. She learns that the best story you write has to be your own and has to come form your heart. Many young readers and writers can relate to this story because many people have trouble deciding what to write about. The characters in this book are believabl...more
Abriana Chamberlain
The Best Story starts off with a girl who sees a contest at her local library. An author Anne Miles is having a contest of who ever has the best story get to go on a roller coaster ride with the Author, who actually happens to be her favorite author. She is so excited to start her story, that as soon as she get home she starts brain storming! At first she can't really come up with anything so asks her parents for some help, they give her so many great ideas. She starts writing but then gets stu...more
Oksanna Scheidt
"And all I could think was this writing stuff was hard and lonely, maybe I needed help...." After two pages into The Best Story by Eileen Spinelli, you can feel the tone being set with the words above. The frustration in the girls voice can be felt and seen with pictures to help prove it. She asks everybody in her household to help her because she wants her paper to be perfect but nothing seems quite right to the little girl.

I think everybody can relate to the feeling of writing something and f...more
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Another picture book to add to my favorite books to use as writing mentor texts. LOVED this one.
Tasha
The Red Brick Library was having a contest for writing the best story. So the main character heads home and asks her various family members what makes a story the best. She incorporates each idea, including lots of action, humor, and romance. She ends up with a jumbled story, until her mother tells her the the best story is the one that comes from the author's heart. She sits down and writes a completely new story about the things she loves, and no longer worries about whether she will win the c...more
Randie
Spinelli, Eileen. (2008). The Best Story. A. Wilsdorf. New York: Scholastic, Inc.

Literary Genre: Picture Storybook

A young girl (unnamed) is inspired to enter the Red Brick Library’s writing contest. Her brother suggests writing a story with action, her father advises having plenty of humor, her aunt thinks the best stories make you cry, and her teenage cousin wants to see some romance. Bright watercolor paintings illustrate the wacky story the girl keeps modifying to satisfy all the suggestions...more
Ch_robyn Schaefer
Here is a subject matter kids can relate to. It is the story (a funny one, at that) of a young girl who tries to write the perfect story for a school-wide writing contest, one that may win her a day with her favorite author. The trouble is, she gets conflicting advice from every member of her family. Dad says to add humor, her brother tells her to add action, her aunt convinces her to add emotion, and her cousin persuades her to add romance. Despite multiple revisions, the story doesn’t seem qui...more
Lashae Rhodes
The author uses the craft of playfulness of time in the story. The character decides to enter the contest and write the best story. The family of the character gives her advice on what to right about and she tries out each story genre. Every time she tells the story it is different based upon what the family member said. In addition, there was a clear focus in the story, and that was the time spent at home to create a story. The author did well at presented the craft. Every genre suggested by he...more
Lanyisha
I really enjoyed this book because of how the author used the ending. He used the ending as a way to give advice to young writers. I read this book to my tutee for our read aloud on our last day together to encourage him to keep writing because he has a very creative mind. The author went through the story by showing that the main character was finding it hard to be satisfied with a story that she was writing because she was listening to everybody's ideas. At the end of the story she chose to us...more
Kristen Thompson
The book is great for encouraging children to write whatever they want! It is about a girl who wants to get 1st place in a writing contest at her library in order to win a ride on this amazing ride on a fun rollercoaster. Her parents, cousin, aunt, etc. tell her that she should write in in cerain ways. Her Dad says the best story would be funny, her aunt says it would make people cry, her cousin says it can't be a good story unless it's romantic. After re-writing her story over an over the girl...more
Roshini R.
This charming tale is about a young girl’s hope of winning first prize by writing the best story. Writing it is not quite as easy as she thinks it will be. She ends up receiving unsolicited and solicited advice from her family. Everyone has a different idea about what makes a best story. Is it action? Is it humor? Is it romance? Should all these ideas be in her story? Her imagination runs rampant as she explores these ideas. Eventually, she finds the right path to the best story by writing from...more
Sally Salay
One of the best books for kids!
Elizabeth Littleton
The Best Story by Eileen Spinelli is about a girl who gets advice from her family on how to write the best story so she can win a contest. After multiple revisions she discovers that the best writing comes from the heart. This book would be good for beginning a creative writing assignment. I would give each student a piece of paper cut in the shape of a heart and have them list and draw things that are important to them. Afterwards the students could pick one of their topics and write a story ab...more
Auttumn C
After reading this one day to my class my students were so excited and ready to get busy writing their own amazing masterpieces. This book can help students understand that not all books have to have action, romance, and comedy to be a good book but as long as they come from the heart the story will be good. It is important to note throughout your read aloud that the stories she writes have a lot of imagination and it would be good to add that authors have great imaginations!
Ellen Ramsey
An aspiring young writer wants to win the Red Brick Library contest. Attempting to follow advice from family members, she writes stories with lots of action, lots of humor, lots of sad things, lots of romance. None of these stories work out well. Finally she writes her own story--about her two best friends and her cat and snow days and strawberry jam and fireworks and rainbows and bike rides. We don’t know whether she wins the contest or not, but she loves her story—and so do we!
Teresa
This story is about a girl that wants to participate in the school's writing contest. She is trying to write the best story ever and asks her family members for input on what makes a story so good. They ask for action, romance, and much more. When she takes their advice the story just doesn't seem right. The last person to give advice says to write what she thinks is best. Good story to show how you can do things on your own with just a little help from someone.
Heidi
A sweet book with a sweet (and true) message. Makes me think of an Austen quote I once heard. At least, I think that's who said it. Anywho. I like that the pictures are consistent throughout and full of fun. I like the suggestions. I like the characters' personalities. I think this is better as a read-on-your-own or a lap-read with a school-age child. Some younger might get it. And it's never to early to teach the message.
Haley
This book would be great to show children the creative process. Children in the younger grades some times have a hard time not using examples that the teacher gives or using ideas that others give to them. In the story the little girl is writing the best story ever and everyone has different views of what that is. And in the end the best story is what she feels, what is in her heart to write about.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
A young girl tries to write a story for a contest at the library. Each of her family members gives her different advice based on the genre of book he or she likes. It showed that the process of writing a story isn't easy, and introduced readers to the various types of stories. I liked the cat, which was in every picture, doing something mischievous, like playing with dad's shoelaces. Nice read.
Gwen the Librarian
This is a really sweet story about writing a story of your own. What are the elements of a good story? Comedy? Tragedy? Romance? How about the story that comes from your heart? And why was she writing a story? The best quote ever, "First prize was a ride on the Sooper Dooper Looper roller coaster with my favorite author...Wow! First prizes don't get any better than that."
Sarah Kiesche
A girl wants to win first prize in a writing contest, but she can't think of anything to write. She gets advice from all of her family members about what makes a good story, but finally learns that the best story is the one that comes from her heart. I think this would be fantastic to read at the beginning of the year when introducing writer's workshop. K-3
Edna
A young girl wants to win a writing contest so she can ride the roller coaster with her favorite author. Father, brother, sister and Auntie make suggestions and the rewrites make the story more and more silly until finally, her mother offers the best advice for "the best story."
Murlene
Good story to inspire students to be writers. It shows them that it might not be easy but if you stick to it you will produce something thats totally yours. Even if family tries to help and gives you advise on what they like. Stay true to yourself and the story will be good.
Ruth Ann
Within the context of an engaging story, this book reminds readers of some very important story elements: action, humor, emotional appeal, and romance/relationships. But most of all it reminds young writers to write about things that they care about in their hearts.
Paula
This could be used as an example for plagiarism for younger kids
When a contest at the local library offers a prize for the best story, a girl tries to write one using her family's suggestions, but her story does not seem right until she listens to her heart.
Sabrina Thornton
Great story for all ages. It would be a great one to share at the beginning of the year when introducing a writing project, as well as when talking about plagiarism. Great illustrations to go along with a great meaning! One I will definitely tuck away to share!
PJ
A great book to introduce narratives. The story is about a girl who is writing a story to win a contest to meet her favorite author. She writes several stories but none felt right until she writes a story about herself.
Heather
39 months - A lesson for all kids who are asked to write a story for school. Write what you know and are most familiar with not other people's ideas of a good story. I bet this one could come in handy many times in the future.
Elmore
Whatever your age, it's great to be reminded that when writing a story, the best one comes from your heart. This book is cleverly written and the illustrations are whimsical. Excellent picture book.
Justin
This is a decent story about writing from your heart. It is almost the same book as Arthur Writes a Story, but without the charm of Marc Brown's characters.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Read It, Don't Eat It!
  • Sloppy Joe
  • First Day Jitters
  • But Excuse Me That Is My Book
  • Library Mouse (Library Mouse #1)
  • Fairly Fairy Tales
  • Rocket Writes a Story
  • Bedtime at the Swamp
  • The Lonely Book
  • I Am the Book
  • Reading Makes You Feel Good
  • How to Teach a Slug to Read
  • I Took My Frog to the Library
Eileen Spinelli, wife of famed children's author Jerry Spinelli, is an award winning children's book author from southeastern Pennsylvania.
More about Eileen Spinelli...
Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch Where I Live The Dancing Pancake Sophie's Masterpiece: A Spider's Tale Silly Tilly