Start by marking “Water Tales: Aquamarine and Indigo” as Want to Read:
Water Tales: Aquamarine and Indigo

Water Tales: Aquamarine and Indigo (Water Tales #1-2)

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  568 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
If you haven't encountered Alice Hoffman's watery fairy tales of modern magic, dive in! Aquamarine The tide brings in something unexpected that will change best friends Claire and Haley's last summer together. Indigo Martha and her friends discover that running to follow a dream is the only way they'll find the true meaning of 'home'.
Published (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Water Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Water Tales

Of Poseidon by Anna BanksForgive My Fins by Tera Lynn ChildsRising by Holly KellyIngo by Helen DunmoreThe Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Andersen
Best mermaid books
74th out of 286 books — 700 voters
Diary of a Freedom Writer by Darrius GarrettThe Outsiders by S.E. HintonHoles by Louis SacharHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingAnne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
My Favourites
101st out of 101 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Dayna Smith
Feb 09, 2014 Dayna Smith rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, teen-romance
Aquamarine: Nothing like the movie! This is the story of two friends, one of whom is about to move away. As the deadline for the move approaches the girls return to their favorite place, a deserted and neglected beach club that is about to be demolished. In the old pool after a huge storm they discover a mermaid. The girls attempt to befriend the stranded mermaid and return her to the sea before she is discovered. A cute story. Indigo: Thirteen-year-old Martha has two very strange best friends. ...more
Amy
May 06, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Alice Hoffman, those who like a little magic.
This is actually two novels published in the same volume. I just can't get enough of Alice Hoffman. This book has another two novels written for teens/young adult.

Aquamarine is a far better story than the movie (even though I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.) It focuses more on the girls desire to not grow apart and have things change, than on the mermaid.

Indigo is short but still feels complete at the end. I like the way Hoffman's books don't usually have a traditional "happy ending" but a reali
Jennifer Heise
Mar 24, 2014 Jennifer Heise rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-fantasy
Alice Hoffman, writing in the YA genre her magical realism-- two stories about water and relationships. Much more literary than the usual run of YA-fantasy, and yet lyrical. If you loved Yolen on mermaids, and you loved Hoffman before, or you were entranced by literary fantasy, this could be a good read for you. There's a touch of Bradbury here, and the treatment is serious and self-conscious enough to make me wonder if it was really YA (the typeface was what convinced me). Short reads with the ...more
Nathan Burgoine
Sep 24, 2014 Nathan Burgoine rated it really liked it
Basically, "Aquamarine" is a very short story where two girls realize their lives are changing: one is moving away, after both have lived beside each other for their entire lives, as best friends. This unwanted and unwelcome change coincides with the closing of the pool/park/cabana where they've enjoyed every summer together in their lives. A storm washes in, and a mermaid is left in the pool. What follows is a cute and deft discussion of change, realizing dreams, and growing beyond what you bel ...more
Rachel
Jan 08, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it
The book i am reading is called Water Tales by Alice Hoffman. It is Realistic fiction, and it has 198 pages. There is two stories in this book. One of them is called Aquamarine and the other one is called indigo. First I am going to talk to you about Aquamarine. The main character is Aquamarine and she is a mermaid. Claire and Hailey find Aquamarine in Claire's grandpa's pool while Claire and Hailey were cleaning around the pool. Claire got in the pool (even though she hates water) and went unde ...more
Grace
Nov 13, 2014 Grace rated it liked it
While reading Water Tails I learned a lot about mermaids. This book takes place at a beach called Capri. There was a big storm and in the pool was a critter. The girls (haley and clare) saw the mermaid and decided to talk to her, they found out that she saw a guy named Raymond (who worked at the beach) and she wanted to date him. While I was reading this book it made me wonder if there are such things as mermaids. So I looked it up and Animal Planet did a segment and said there were such things. ...more
Ms.
Mar 24, 2009 Ms. rated it liked it
Shelves: gabby-j
This book has two different stories in it:

Aqua:
Aquamarine is about two girls, Claire and Haley, and they have been best friends all of their lives. The bad news is that Claire is moving to Florida with her grandparents at the end of the week. Also at the end of the week, the beach club they go to every day will be torn down, and their good friend, Raymond, will be going off to college.
One day, a really bad storm washes a lot of things from the ocaen into the beach club's swimming pool; small
Sandra Grauschopf
These were two sweet, short stories aimed at young adults. I did enjoy them, but Indigo in particular seemed overly rushed. At one point, a character was saved from near-death almost before the reader could take in that he was in danger.

I don't regret reading them, but they wouldn't be high on my list of recommendations, either. I would have preferred it if the author had fleshed out the lovely themes of the two stories even more.
Darlene
Jul 08, 2010 Darlene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves merpeople
Recommended to Darlene by: Cheryl
Rebecca McNutt
This book had two good stories in it, but it was disappointing mostly. I bought it expecting it to be a longer novel (it says it's a YA novel and it has 198 pages). It only took about an hour to read; it was more appropriate for kids in the third grade than kids in middle or high school. The reason it appears as big as it looks is because the text font is necessarily large and the book has a lot of drawings in the margins, mostly of seashells and seaweed. Unfortunately this book doesn't deliver ...more
Sharon Huether
Feb 27, 2014 Sharon Huether rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
Water Tales: Aquamarine and Indigo.. By Alice Hoffman..A comming of age tale of two friends, soon to be separated by a move to the East coast. There was hope of new friends to come. Two unusual brothers that loved the ocean and needed to be near it. They got their wish. The author has a nice style of writing almost poetic.
Nicholas
I read this book and I recommend it to others because of how unpredictable it was and how surprising it was. When Hailey and Claire find something at the bottom of the murky pool their whole summer is changed. Even though this book is short it does not mean that it is not good.
Donna
Jul 03, 2012 Donna rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Preteen/teenager set
Recommended to Donna by: Katie Clark
Shelves: academic-support
Katie gave this young adult novel to me, from Judi Morgan's bookshelf. My fascination with mermaids was the catalyst, not to mention, I love Alice Hoffman. It is actually two short novellas; Aquamarine, and Indigo.

A quick read, this could be quite a successful set for my basic skills kids (females) to read. Both stories relate to preteen-teenager friendships (and the obstacles therein), and both weave in the mystery of the sirens ;-).

“A mermaid’s last wish is always for her children to swim free
Ashley
Jun 25, 2014 Ashley rated it liked it
These tales are charming and a quick read but are clearly meant for the YA audience. And I have no beef with that - I merely love Hoffman's deeper, more complex writing and prefer it.
Annette
Aug 31, 2012 Annette rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-fiction
Two very simple stories.
The first about two friends who are 13 and being separated when one has to move out of state. This is their last summer together and, after a bad storm, they find a mermaid has been stranded in a neighborhood pool.
The other story is about a girl and her two friends who are brothers who feel trapped in a small town that lives high and dry and the whole town seems to be afraid of water. The brothers however love the water, they drink saltwater, eat nothing but fish, and a
Holli Krusemark
Feb 14, 2015 Holli Krusemark rated it really liked it
Two light hearted tales that will make you want to hug your BF.
Fishface
This was a little too Young Adult for my taste, and it leans too heavily on the usual rules about mermaids, but it was a pleasant read to be sure.
Zoey
Feb 20, 2014 Zoey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boston
Aquamarine: 2 stars

Indigo: 3.5 stars
Janice
Feb 14, 2016 Janice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, young
Two cute short novels for young readers. I liked Indigo best.
Alison
I would give this between a 2 and 3. I liked the second story so much more than the first. Both were sweet, warm-hearted tales that I think I would've enjoyed a little more if I'd gone into them expecting them to be YA--for some reason I opened and started reading this book thinking it was more like "adult" fiction. I guess my main complaint would be not enough character development. But still, I liked the fable or fairy tale tone.
Hannah
Apr 04, 2014 Hannah rated it liked it
magical
Mackenzie Maynard
Jun 20, 2014 Mackenzie Maynard rated it really liked it
I like that Aquamarine was based off one of my favorite movies, and I like whats up with the "Fish Brothers" and who their mother was
Frances
Mar 28, 2012 Frances rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have stated here before that I have a love/hate relationship with Alice Hoffman. Some of her books I love, some I hate. This is now three in a row that I love. This is a tiny book with 2 novellas. It is wonderful and creative and both stories are uplifting and imaginative. Another of my finds at Goodwill for 49 cents. This would have been worth paying full price!
Tracy Walters
Aug 19, 2011 Tracy Walters rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore Alice Hoffman and usually I feel she can do no wrong when writing a story.....whether it be long or short......and this is another example of two lovely little stories that make you feel good after reading them.....Aquamarine and Indigo.......two sweet names for two sweet stories......keeping this book for my daughter to read.....it just made me smile.
Conley Morris
Dec 02, 2009 Conley Morris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an awsome book. I liked it a lot.
There are to different stories but both
are about merpeople. My favorite story
is about a memaid who is blown away
during a storm from the sea into nearby
swimming pool. The pool is blocked off
because the water is to dark and full of
sea life. Im glad I read this book.
Kathryn
May 15, 2010 Kathryn rated it really liked it
This book contains two moving (though in no way sentimental) stories of special and enduring friendships. Simply but beautifully written, with an understated magical realism, Water Tales was published as a YA, but I think it has a strong appeal for both adults and middle-grade readers as well.
Britt
Nov 10, 2007 Britt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girls
this book has two stories in it. aquamarine, and indigo. Im still reading indigo. But aquamarine is really good, it kept me turing the pages beacuse it was somthing i could connect to. I think any girl could connect to it. its about these two best freinds and one is moving away.
Amy
Jul 11, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's one that I read over and over again. My five-star rating is very subjective, more that the story reminds me of home and my childhood, and that I need to enjoy the beach more that's only six miles from my house, go out on our boat again.
Kelly
Dec 01, 2010 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I saw the movie for Aquamarine which was cute and was pretty close to the book. Indigo was an interesting story about mermaids as well. I haven't read this book recently but I thought it was pretty good since I love fantasy novels.
  • Six Kinds of Sky: A Collection of Short Fiction
  • Transformation (Water, #3)
  • Lost in the Labyrinth
  • The Sapphire Princess Helps a Mermaid (The Jewel Kingdom, #10)
  • Sealed With a Kiss (Yours Truly, Lucy B. Parker #2)
  • Lucky
  • Captain Salt in Oz (Book 30)
  • Lemonade Mouth Puckers Up
  • The Monkey's Wedding and Other Stories
  • The Princess Tales, Volume I (The Fairy's Mistake, The Princess Test, Princess Sonora and the Long Sleep)
  • Moribito II: Guardian of the Darkness (Moribito, #2)
Alice Hoffman was born in New York City on March 16, 1952 and grew up on Long Island. After graduating from high school in 1969, she attended Adelphi University, from which she received a BA, and then received a Mirrellees Fellowship to the Stanford University Creative Writing Center, which she attended in 1973 and 74, receiving an MA in creative writing. She currently lives in Boston and New York ...more
More about Alice Hoffman...

Water Tales (2 books)
  • Aquamarine (Water Tales, #1)
  • Indigo (Water Tales, #2)

“It wasn't right to have someone charge into you your world without even asking, acting as if you were nothing more than an egg to be flipped and flopped, sunny-side up or scrambled, depending on the whims on whoever ran your life..._” 7 likes