Start by marking “The Lost Boys” as Want to Read:
The Lost Boys

The Lost Boys

Ned is 15. He and his friends while away their days smoking dope, trying to root chicks and surfing at Maroubra. Ned's life is only just beginning – tomorrow, some time.

Ned is 35. He and his mates drift through the days snorting cocaine, trying to root chicks, clinging to the pub and surfing at Bondi. For Ned, this is it – tomorrow never came.

What happe
Published April 1st 2008 by Picador (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Boys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Boys

Jacinta Fintan
Feb 10, 2013 Jacinta Fintan rated it really liked it
What a head trip. I loved the sliver of light that de Brito sheds on the secret dark confused angry distressed coming-of-age male psyche, as right or wrong as it may be. Raw and rude and riveting. The book drips with Australianess from time ago. It tosses up truths and dumps them down onto the beach for all to see, whether the reader likes it or not. This will fit nicely on my bookshelf under B for blokes, Bukowski, Brendan Cowell and Sam de Brito.
Greg
Jul 17, 2009 Greg rated it it was amazing
Sydney, Bondi region to be precise. Loads of cocaine, loose women, seedy pubs and fucked up surfers. Basically follows one character around and switches throughout book from when he is 15 and trying to fit in/ pick up chicks, hit his first bong to when he is in his 30's and trying to fit in/ pick up chicks and get his hands on another line of coke. Immature, morally challenging and not really vital in terms of furthering your literary future, nonetheless I loved it, total need more candy like ap ...more
Emmanuel
Aug 27, 2014 Emmanuel rated it really liked it
De Brito, you're a champion mate. An interesting read and a lead up to 'Hello Darknes' also starring Ned Jelli. Reading this book at times resembled something like drinking from a stagnant, pollluted creek but then at times this book made me smile and actually laugh out loud. I m an Aussie and this book is reminicent of my growing up and coming of age. Havent read many works by Australian authors, other than Tim Winton and a few others, but this is my second De Brito book i have read and i like ...more
Kerry
Jun 28, 2008 Kerry rated it did not like it
This book rates as the WORST!!!!!!!!!! I have ever had the mis-pleasure of reading. To put it into Sam's vocab - I FUCKING HATED IT MAN and YOUSE WHO READ IT ARE FUCKING STUP'D - Gitit??? - no - neither did I.

There were times I wanted to throw the book across the room (two particular times come to mind right now). I am almost scared that even this trite outpouring of woe will only entice people to read it, so I beg you - save your $30 and buy anything else - this book is little more than the (m
Emma
Jun 30, 2008 Emma rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young men seeking affirmation, young women seeking to understand young men
Recommended to Emma by: blogsite: All Men Are Liars
This book was a tough, but ultimately rewarding, read. Like other readers before me, I too had issues with at least two (probably three) scenes in the book. I have spent some serious time wondering about issues such as narratorial responsibility after reading this book, and I am unconvinced that the characters who visit suffering upon women in the book face real consequences (beyond the fact that they have 'sad' lives after the age of 30 - not sufficient consequences to my mind).

But beyond the a
Christina Batey
Apr 14, 2012 Christina Batey rated it it was ok
Mr De Brito has performed an interesting writing experiment with this book in that his main character does not seem to show any development, while the rest of his supporting cast does. To me, this did not seem to work for a book written (mostly in) first person. Details of places, names and deeds may require him to sell quite a few more books to pay some legal costs in the future!

I typically enjoy this type of story and feel I should have enjoyed "The Lost Boys" a lot more. But I disliked Ned's
Alex Rogers
Apr 30, 2016 Alex Rogers rated it did not like it
I've really enjoyed a lot of de Brito's journalism & essays, so had high hopes when I found this at the library. I didn't enjoy it much, found the tone very bleak, and the characters deeply unsympathetic - I got part way in and decided I didn't want to know what happened to them.
Patrick B
Jan 24, 2016 Patrick B rated it did not like it
terribly, awfully bad. the worst novel i've ever had the misfortune of reading
Pauline Burgess
Apr 02, 2013 Pauline Burgess rated it really liked it
Brutal and horrific, an insight into what it is to be a bloke. Pinpoints when time marched on and left blokes stranded, floundering... it is too painful that they neither die nor recover. Sydney/Bondi are things I know nothing of, but there are plenty of these lost boys around, unable to become men in this new millennium. I found the book to be gritty and accurate, portraying the lack of development in attitudes towards women, families, responsibility, self care etc. It's accuracy made me ill. I ...more
Kanelbullar
Mar 02, 2013 Kanelbullar rated it liked it
I have to admit, it was the cover that got me intrigued. The one I have is of a cigarette butt against a white background.

It was an interesting novel, needless to say despite the sheer amount of c*** and f*** words. After awhile, your mind tends to skim over it or at least I know mine did.

I found it slightly depressing, because within the span of 20 years, the protagonist has done nothing. You hope that as the pages turn, that he finds some purpose with his life, but it's the same day in and d
Cathy Atkinson
Oct 07, 2012 Cathy Atkinson rated it did not like it
They are still lost at the end - no forward movement made on the journey. Disappointing. And why do we have to have all the 'c' and 'f' words? Occasionally it is not a problem but being on just about every page at least twice for both..... it smacks of lazy writing and poor editorial advice! Grotty story about unattractive personalities - several hours of my life wasted. Why did I keep reading? I was looking for the lost to become found, for there to be a point beyond recording the drab and the ...more
Kate
Aug 06, 2010 Kate rated it did not like it
Probably the worst book I've ever read. Pretentious, self-satisfied, boring and written with all the subtle skill of a blind wood-chopper. Apparently De Brito dropped out of college and got work as a writer thanks to his daddy, a well known Sydney journalist with connections. Without that family leg the pretty boy would be pouring beers in a pub somewhere in the Western Suburbs. Prince Edward had more talent as a television producer than de Brito has as a writer.
Sharon
Feb 18, 2012 Sharon rated it liked it
Dark and depressing, quite sad in parts, neverless I did enjoy this book. The sad thing is, for some people, this book could be autobiographical.
A cautionary tale, one could say.
Brett
Sep 02, 2008 Brett rated it did not like it
This quite frankly is the worst book ever written. De Brito is a private school wanker from the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney and boy does it show in every word of thios excrement.
Jody
Nov 24, 2010 Jody rated it really liked it
A honest and raw look at growing up male in the all bloke culture.
A brilliant heart-wrenching read flawed and fresh all at the same time.
Tony Turpin
Jan 28, 2014 Tony Turpin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing and pointless
Patrick Shumack
Patrick Shumack marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Bronwyn Henson
Bronwyn Henson marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
David Hoffman
David Hoffman is currently reading it
Sep 07, 2016
Teresa Comacchio
Teresa Comacchio rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2016
Timothy Ridsdill-Kenny
Timothy Ridsdill-Kenny rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Debbie Robinson
Debbie Robinson marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Robert C.
Robert C. marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Marilu
Marilu marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Mel_8998
Mel_8998 rated it liked it
May 07, 2016
Anita
Anita marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016