Start by marking “How Things Exist: Teachings On Emptiness” as Want to Read:
How Things Exist: Teachings On Emptiness

How Things Exist: Teachings On Emptiness

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  94 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
This book begins with a general talk on universal responsibility and compassion that is followed by four chapters detailing the Prasangika Madhyamaka view of emptiness, or ultimate reality, as taught in the Gelug tradition of Tibetan Buddhism, and how to meditate on it, according to the author's personal experience.
Published 2008 by Wisdom Publications, U.S

To ask other readers questions about How Things Exist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Things Exist

Connely K Baldwin
Accessible transcription of sermons, but did not enhance my understanding as much as other sources.
Nor'dzin Pamo
Oct 08, 2014 Nor'dzin Pamo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
A wonderful book, giving clear insight into the meaning of Emptiness.
Matthew Leroy
Five quick chapters focusing on the way we label experiences and things in the world. It is argued that at the root of the world is nothingness other than what we label it to be. This (at least how I am reading it) is both supportive of cognitive thought processes and also with slight adjustments a need to understand ourselves as subjective unconsciously driven individuals. Overall a decent read, and helps me to continue to feel more exposed and aware of Buddhism.
Anabel Olivo
Apr 19, 2015 Anabel Olivo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Understanding emptiness is not easy. We have lived for countless lives seeing things and phenomena in the wrong way. I love this talk by Lama Zopa because of the simplicity with which he explains such a complex subject. He emphasizes how being aware of it and bringing it to our daily practice is crucial for our advance on the path, helping us especially when we experience problems as a tool to avoid generating more negative karma.
Patti
Jan 02, 2015 Patti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Actually I will never finish reading this book. It doesn't really work that way with the Dharma.Every reading takes you deeper into this infinite subject matter. A teaching I would recommend to any Buddhist practitioner, but especially to those of the Prasagika school of the Middle Way. It is juicy!
Rowdy Scarlett
Oct 20, 2013 Rowdy Scarlett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
short book that consists of transcriptions of verbal teachings. Interesting and thought provoking.
Lamont
Lamont rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2016
Mariola Czechowska
Mariola Czechowska marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Phyllis
Phyllis rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Liam
Liam rated it did not like it
Jul 12, 2016
Whereismylighter
Whereismylighter marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Fouad
Fouad marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Amit
Amit rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2016
Joseph
Joseph rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
Marsha Protinsky
Marsha Protinsky rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2016
Gustavo
Gustavo rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Jacqueline Minns
Jacqueline Minns rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Mark
Mark rated it it was ok
Jan 31, 2016
Jared Blood
Jared Blood rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Craig Burston
Craig Burston rated it did not like it
Dec 26, 2015
Stephen G Ashurst
Stephen G Ashurst rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2015
andrea
andrea rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2015
Stephen
Stephen rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Lama Thubten Zopa Rinpoche (Tibetan: ཐུབ་བསྟན་བཟོད་པ་, Wylie: Thub-bstan Bzod-pa, often published as Lama Zopa Rinpoche), the spiritual director of The Foundation for the Preservation of the Mahayana Tradition, is held to be the reincarnation of the Sherpa Nyingma yogi Kunsang Yeshe, the Lawudo Lama. Rinpoche was born in 1946 in Thami, not far from the cave Lawudo, in the Mount Everest region of N ...more
More about Thubten Zopa...