Start by marking “What to Do When You Worry Too Much: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Anxiety” as Want to Read:
What to Do When You Worry Too Much: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Anxiety

What to Do When You Worry Too Much: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Anxiety

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  287 ratings  ·  48 reviews
An interactive self-help book designed to guide 6?12 year olds and their parents through the techniques most often used in the treatment of generalized anxiety. Metaphors and humorous illustrations make difficult concepts easy to understand, while prompts to draw and write help children to master new skills related to reducing anxiety. Engaging, encouraging, and easy to fo...more
Published September 1st 2005 by Magination Press

To ask other readers questions about What to Do When You Worry Too Much, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What to Do When You Worry Too Much

Mary
I know I'm not a kid, but there was a lot of stuff in this book that seemed really helpful. The author does a great job of explaining things--like the concepts of containment, externialization, and competing demands--in language that makes sense and that sticks in your mind. Containment, for example is the idea that milk in a carton is not a big obstacle in your life, but a gallon of milk without a carton or something to hold it is a mess. She also explains how worries are like tomato plants --...more
Randie
Huebner has created a guide for children to overcome their anxiety through the usage of cognitive-behavioral techniques and explaining anxiety in a way that children can relate to. I love the suggestions of daily activities children can do to help them with anxiety, like talk time, worry time, and using logic. While the book is a guide for children, parents could use this book as a guide for children who are not able to read or for children who need the extra support.
Abram
It helped me learn not to worry to much. It taught me to kick out the little man who gives me worrys.It also taught me to lock up the worrys, when it is not worry time. I'm still working on it though.
Crystal
My son (9.5 years old) was diagnosed with Anxiety Disorder and Autism Spectrum Disorder today. On our way home from the evaluation we stopped by the bookstore and bought this book based on reviews on Amazon (the amazon price check app for iPhone is fantastic for this purpose). Tonight at bedtime we snuggled in bed and read the book from front to back. Sometimes he read, sometimes I read, sometimes he would shout out "that's just like me!" during parts. We talked a little about what we read, trie...more
Jennifer Rayment
Jake's Review: This is a really great book to help kids like me get over their worries. The author put everything into words I could understand. She never made me feel weird about having all these worries. The ways in which she suggests that I can get rid of my worries make sense and I hope they will work (Mom's note: please, please, please let them work) I like the pictures, they are really funny and the way the author explains things makes sense. I liked the activity pages, they were fun and t...more
Ryan Gray
This is a must read for children who suffer from anxiety issues. My little brother who is 10 years old has long had bad anxiety. I first came across this book when my mother bought it for my little brother Andrew at age 7. The story is fun and not to straight forward in addressing the Childs issues. This book will teach not only your child about dealing with anxiety but you tools in which you can use to help them as well. This book was written by a psychologist and is truly a very powerful book....more
Hannah
This really, really helped me with my anxiety when I was 11, and I hardly ever worry at all now thanks to this book! Highly recommend this book to anybody who worries to much! :)
Kristen
This was very helpful for my then 6 year old. Highly recommend.
sparkypink
This has been a wonderful book for my seven year old daughter. I originally checked it out from the library, and planned on reading a chapter a day with her. She saw the book and wanted to read the entire thing immediately. It was like a weight was lifted off her shoulders and she said, "you mean there are other people that worry as much as I do?" The next day I bought her very own copy to have. She has benefited from the practical applications and several months later, will pull it out when she...more
Autumn Seiler
Great to work through with kids
Heather
There are a number of excellent reviews here and on Amazon to help readers determine if this book will help their son or daughter overcome anxiety. It is a quick read even for a 10-year-old, but it is meant to be used as a workbook, not just read straight through. Other than one section on visualizing worries as little monsters sitting on one's shoulders, which could make things much, much worse, this book had a lot of useful tips - I would just caution parents to read the book first and skip ov...more
Yasamin Rezaei
"آیا می دانستید نگرانی ها هم مثل گوجه فرنگی ها هستند؟نه نمی توانید آنها را بخورید ولی می توانید آنها را پرورش دهید.خیلی ساده با توجه کردن به آنها باعث رشدشان می شوید.اگر نگرانی های تان آنقدر بزرگ شده اند که تقریبا هر روز ناراحتتان می کنند پس این کتاب مناسب شماست"
"وقتی شما خیلی درباره ی نگرانی ها فکر کنید و مدام درباره ی آنها صحبت کنید به نگرانی ها هم کمک می کنید تا رشد کنند"
"خودتان را چنین بچه ای تصور کنید.تصور کنید آنقدر قوی هستید که به نکرانی ها بگویید بروند.تصور کنید که نگرانی ها واقعا در ح...more
Debbie
What a great book for anxious kids! I have read it and have been going through it with our kids. We have one (our youngest) that worries about everything and everyone! We are hoping to see some results for the mental health of everyone in our family. It also resonates with the other 2 and seems helpful for their occasional anxieties! If they can put it in perspective at a young age, I am hoping it will help them later in life.
The Worry Time idea is very helpful. Our son easily grasped the comparison to growing tomatoes and referred back to it multiple times. This book kept his focus and we read almost the entire book in one sitting. Well written from both a parent and child perspective.
Nikki
This book made a huge difference with my daughter. We had just lost our family dog, 3 days later her daddy forgot her at school. She is a worrier anyways, but those two events made it unbearable for her. She was 6 at the time. This book was a lifesaver! It helped being able to talk things out and work on the pages together. It was amazing to see what she worried about and how to deal with it.
Leslie
When my son Brian was dealing with some anxiety issues, a friend recommended this book and both of us found the exercises very helpful. We read this book together when Brian was in 1st grade, and now he's in 3rd grade and able to deal with his worries very well. They still come out when he's tired and wound up, but he responds when I do the exercises with him. Great help.
Rebecca
this has been the best book to help with my child's anxieties. i highly recommend this book to every parent who has a worrier in their family. it puts the power back in the child's hands to take control of their worries and helps to restore sanity back to the family. simple, easy to read and a perfect step by step process for a child to understand and follow.
Tania
We got this book for my son at the recommendation of his therapist. We read it together in two nights and we've already seen a change in his affect and he's tried out several of the techniques. He likes the workbook pages and how he gets to draw and write things out. I recommend it to anyone who has a child that has a tendency towards worrying and anxiety.
Michelle Tempted By Books
I am really grateful for this book. The way it reads is for children and is extremely well said as to be understandable for a child with anxiety. I read this to my son and we did the activities. I think it really helped thanks to the activities. I would definitely recommend this book to any parent who is having some anxiety issues with their child.
Stephanie
I read this book with my daughter, who worries a lot. There were some good strategies for helping kids understand what worries are and how to manage them. I think now that we've gone through it we'll wait a while and then read it again--my daughter is having a hard time even admitting that she's anxious, so it's hard to proceed from there.
Leslie
I can hardly believe I never reviewed this book beforw. I found it to be the most usefull tool in dealing with my little boy's anxieties. Heck, it was helpfull for me too. We are both worriers. The docs wanted to prescribe an arsenal of meds but we just went with one minor one and this book. It is awesome for kids and adults!
Ann Douglas
A helpful guide to managing anxiety -- for kids. Also includes a mini-guide for parents. The tone is encouraging and the suggestions are practical and easy to implement. Highly recommended.
Renae
I found this book giving some real practical and useful tips for worrying kids. EVEN if a child does not suffer from anxiety, I thought the ideas presented would work for many of us at one time of crisis or another.
Also liked the quick easy read which Suggested same ways to overcome as other 300+ page books.
Katie
This is a great book for children who worry a lot. The recommended ages were 6-12, but I read it to my 5 year old and it all made sense to him. We have started telling him to put things in his worry box and we have a set time to talk about those worries once a day. Great suggestions and easy read with your child.
Jo
This was a really helpful book when one of my kids began to worry about everything - including one of us dying. It gave some really clear ideas on how to get him to help himself through those times and really helped him get past a really worrying time for him.
Nancy
A good gentle introduction to anxiety and how it can get out of hand, and what to do about it. Great suggestions about keeping anxiety under control instead of letting it control a person or persons, with ideas for both for kids and parents. Worth a read together!
Haley
This is such a great book for kids that worry a lot. We have read it many times and have just started it again!!! It really helps kids understand their anxiety a little better and how to get through it!!! It's actually pretty good for adults too!!!
Heidi
Aug 21, 2010 Heidi added it
The kids are loving this! They're working on their art projects now to show me their worries, worry bullies, and how they can stop them. Really good for practical ideas to help kids deal with anxiety but great for any kid's worries.
Excellent resource, puts anxiety into words that are appropriate for children. Loved all the suggestions on different ways parents can help break the anxiety cycle. I really feel much better prepared to discuss anxiety after reading this.
puck
cbt for kids! this book is really hetrocentrist and assumes "mom and dad" families, but looking beyond that it provides a really simplistic overview of cbt and other techniques to address kids' (and grown-ups', really) anxiety.
  • Freeing Your Child from Anxiety
  • The Elephant in the Playroom: Ordinary Parents Write Intimately and Honestly About the Extraordinary Highs and Heartbreaking Lows of Raising Kids with Special Needs
  • What You Must Think of Me: A Firsthand Account of One Teenager's Experience with Social Anxiety Disorder
  • Smart but Scattered: The Revolutionary "Executive Skills" Approach to Helping Kids Reach Their Potential
  • The Feelings Book: The Care & Keeping of Your Emotions
  • The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun: Activities for Kids with Sensory Processing Disorder
  • My Mouth Is a Volcano!
  • The Explosive Child: A New Approach for Understanding and Parenting Easily Frustrated, Chronically Inflexible Children
  • The Highly Sensitive Child: Helping Our Children Thrive When the World Overwhelms Them
  • The Whole-Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind, Survive Everyday Parenting Struggles, and Help Your Family Thrive
  • Getting Past Your Past: Take Control of Your Life with Self-Help Techniques from EMDR Therapy
  • The Way I Feel
  • The Girl Who Never Made Mistakes
  • Asperger's Syndrome: A Guide for Parents and Professionals
  • The Bipolar Child: The Definitive and Reassuring Guide to Childhood's Most Misunderstood Disorder
  • She's Gonna Blow!
  • Taking Charge of ADHD: The Complete, Authoritative Guide for Parents
  • Neo Leo: The Ageless Ideas of Leonardo da Vinci
Dawn Huebner, PhD, wrote most of her first book (What to Do When You Worry Too Much) on walks to and from her office in downtown Exeter, NH. The rest of her series was similarly conceived, although she eventually set up a computer (and designated a writing day) in a spare room at home.

A clinical psychologist in private practice, Dr. Huebner recognized the need for lively, easy-to-read take-home ma...more
More about Dawn Huebner...
What to Do When Your Temper Flares: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Problems with Anger (What-To-Do Guides for Kids) What to Do When Your Brain Gets Stuck: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming OCD (What-to-Do Guides for Kids) What to Do When You Grumble Too Much: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Negativity What to Do When You Dread Your Bed: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Problems with Sleep What to Do When Bad Habits Take Hold: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Nail Biting and More (What-To-Do Guides for Kids)