Start by marking “Heris Serrano (Hunting Party, Sporting Chance & Winning Colors)” as Want to Read:
Heris Serrano (Hunting Party, Sporting Chance & Winning Colors)

Heris Serrano (The Serrano Legacy #1-3 omnibus)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  1,593 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Science fiction hardcover.
Published August 2002 by Windhaven Press / Simon & Schuster (first published December 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Heris Serrano, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heris Serrano

WillowBe
I liked it. I have learned to like Space Opera/military sci-fi , but only the writer is female- specifically, Elizabeth Moon.

On one hand, it's kind of dry, because the charactar is ex-military and has a particular way of thinking. Also, I am not a huge fan of the aristocracy, so that took a bit of getting used to also. However, there was enough human drama and anthropological details for my interest. I think that Ms. Moon does a good job of balancing the military with the humanistic drama, the...more
Donna
I haven't read a book involving space travel in years. This was a very enjoyable trio of stories. I found it interesting that the author spent as much time developing the supporting characters as much as Serrano's, however, this may be due there being other books about her prior to this volume.

I was a teensy bit disappointed that Heris did not develop into a horse riding enthusiast, even after apparently becoming quite an adequate rider.

I felt the question of regeneration and the possibility of...more
Dev Null
May 27, 2009 Dev Null rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want to actually drive a spaceship
Shelves: science-fiction
Interesting little collection of space operas. Unlike most of the sort, these aren't (at least so far) to do with gigantic galaxy-spanning events of universal importance. Half the first book feels like a day-in-the-life-of travelogue of a space captain without any real hint of plot whatsoever. That's part of the charm of the books though; it makes some of the nitty-gritty of running a space ship feel real. The regular "rich kids off on adventures" subplots don't ring as true to me, but Moon does...more
Neil
Going into this series, I had high hopes. I had read previous work by Elizabeth Moon (Sassinak with Anne McCaffrey) that I quite enjoyed, and was told that The Deed of Paksenarrion was an excellent series as well.

I was hoping that I would encounter in the character of Heris Serrano a new (to me) female heroine, one who, if not the same as Honor Harrington, Sassinak, or any number of other strong, female sci-fi characters, at least was similar in stature and ability.

I was sadly disappointed. I'm...more
Julia
I have a different take on this each time I read it.

I've been dealing with some personal issues about getting older, so the theme that jumped out at me was the how the different generations were portrayed, and the questions about Rejuvenation.

Heris Serrano is a mature woman who has worked her way up to Captain in the Fleet, but is now a civilian employed as ship captain by a wealthy elderly woman, Cecilia de Markos. In the first book "Hunting Party" she becomes Cecilia's friend as well as her em...more
Eddy Allen
cc:

Fleet officer Heris Serrano came from a family of Fleet officers, so when a lying superior forced her to resign, life lost all meaning. To pay the bills, she became "Captain" of a rich old lady's interstellar luxury yacht, adding insult to injury. But Cecelia, the rich old lady, had more brains than most admirals Heris had known, and before it was all over, Heris would have a chance to rejoin her beloved space navy -- if she could manage to stop an invading armada.

by Elizabeth Moon
Richard Rosenthal
I read these books for the first time when they were first published. I remember walking through the aisles at the local Borders and always checking to see if there was a new Elizabeth Moon in the science fiction and fantasy section. So picking up the first three novels in an electronic omnibus at the price of a single paperback was an easy decision. These books are fun to read. They are space opera without focusing too much on the minutia of interstellar battle.
Sue
I enjoyed the books, but my rating would probably be not quite 4 stars. I'd never given much thought to the consequences of rejuvenation, and these stories got me thinking about it. I did find that each book wrapped up too quickly; story line threads that had been building for a long time got dropped or resolved in a way that felt rushed, leaving me faintly unsatisfied. Elizabeth Moon writes great characters and a universe that you can completely fall into and accept. She also introduces ideas t...more
Jeremy Preacher
As a political space opera, this was fine but not outstanding. I do appreciate the strong female characters, and particularly the positive portrayal of a woman in her late 60s-early 70s rather than the usual 20s-and-hot. The part I found most baffling was the continuous digressions about... foxhunting. Yeah, like with horses. Don't get me wrong, I like horses fine, but it felt like the "spin" on the genre that never really fit or was entirely critical to the plot. Not bad for a big cheap three-i...more
David Rosen
Not really SciFi. Not really Military. Definitely boring.
Adon Coya
Satisfying and interesting, yet not really deep. Definitely not a masterpiece; I won't be re-reading it. If it was a movie, it'd be a hollywood action movie; or a babylon-5 caliber tv series. An interesting universe for basing sci-fi rpg campaigns, although the writer only scratches the socio-political surface (quite unlike what grandmaster Asimov would have done). She is probably better suited for tv series scripting than fiction writing...
Mary Brodd
I read some of this online a few years ago, and had a hankering to read it again. Could not, for the life of me, remember title/author! scifi.stackexchange.com to the rescue, some nice person ID'd it there almost before I'd finished typing the details I remembered!

It falls into the "ripping yarn" category. Definitely will look up the sequels over the summer.
Saleris
Well, as an omnibus edition, it's a lapful. But I so enjoyed this volume, so I'm eventually going to buy the second (and, I think, third) volumes. There's going to be lots of happy reading in the future.
Heris Serrano and her following kept me highly entertained for the time it took me to read this (I forget how long).
Andrew
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Occasionally the fore-shadowing was a little obvious but on the whole I found it gripping and did not want to put it down. Elizabeth Moon was a new author to me but I shall be looking out for more of her work.
DavidO
The main character spends most of the fist chapter whining about the fact that she is no longer in the military. (Yawn) That was as far as I could stomach. I read the summary on the back of the rest of the book and they didn't seem all that great.
Elsie
Well I wouldn't generally pick up a three books in one but it was the only way to continue reading this series since the library only had copies of the novel in this form. Even though I'm not so sure what a "space opera" is...I like it.
Erica Anderson
I stalled out on this, so no rating. I enjoy David Weber's Honor Harrington books, and parts of Heris Serrano reminded me of that series. But when chapter after chapter recounted a fox hunt dirt-side, I lost interest.
T Hill
Entertaining, fast, light read with strong female characters. I read this series straight through and enjoyed the the last book in the series as much as the first.
Susan
Jun 02, 2011 Susan marked it as to-read
Shelves: book-club
I read these individually back when the were fairly new releases... found the omni at Savers this past weekend... now I guess I'll be re-reading them ^_^
Vicky
I'm glad I got this as an omnibus edition. The endings would have been rather ubrupt if the next book wasn't sitting there.
Eric
Fun and easy to read. More akin to the old space operas. I look forward to reading her other books.
jane
Light reading. Enjoyable Elizabeth Moon. You have to have time and read fast to make it worth reading.
Trip
Space opera with girl cooties! It's not Bujold, but it's definitely toward that sub-genre.
Kevin Black
Sep 30, 2013 Kevin Black rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kevin by: Winona Black
Space opera light reading that I actually liked. A little too much of horses and written-for-girls.
Jensownzoo
Lovely little space opera with a strong heroine.
Ringthebells
I loved this story despite its many, many flaws.
Marty
Not too deep, but very entertaining.
  • The Planet Pirates Omnibus
  • Audacious (Kris Longknife, #5)
  • Changer of Worlds (Worlds of Honor, #3)
  • A Confederation of Valor (Confederation, #1-2)
  • In the Stormy Red Sky (Lt. Leary, #7)
  • Fledgling (Theo Waitley, #1; Liaden Universe, #12)
  • Flinx's Folly (Pip & Flinx #9)
  • DarkShip Thieves
Elizabeth Moon was born March 7, 1945, and grew up in McAllen, Texas, graduating from McAllen High School in 1963. She has a B.A. in History from Rice University (1968) and another in Biology from the University of Texas at Austin (1975) with graduate work in Biology at the University of Texas, San Antonio.

She served in the USMC from 1968 to 1971, first at MCB Quantico and then at HQMC. She marrie...more
More about Elizabeth Moon...
The Deed of Paksenarrion (The Deed of Paksenarrion, #1-3) Sheepfarmer's Daughter (The Deed of Paksenarrion, #1) Trading in Danger (Vatta's War, #1) The Speed of Dark Command Decision (Vatta's War, #4)