Start by marking “The Year of Magical Thinking: The Play” as Want to Read:
The Year of Magical Thinking: The Play

The Year of Magical Thinking: The Play

“this happened on December 30, 2003. That may seem a while ago but it won’t when it happens to you . . .”

In this dramatic adaptation of her award-winning, bestselling memoir (which Michiko Kakutani in The New York Times called “an indelible portrait of loss and grief . . . a haunting portrait of a four-decade-long marriage), Joan Didion transforms the story of the sudden a
Published May 15th 2007 by Vintage

To ask other readers questions about The Year of Magical Thinking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year of Magical Thinking

Maria
Una donna che interroga la tragedia, che ripercorre attimo dopo attimo, a cercare l'errore, così da provare a porre rimedio all'inevitabile. L'ospedale sbagliato, il dottore sbagliato, l'ora sbagliata nel giorno sbagliato di un anno sbagliato. Quando la vita cambia, e cambia in un istante, aggrapparsi a un precario perché sembra l'unica soluzione, disperata e necessaria. Se avesse trovato una spiegazione, il dolore, forse, sarebbe andato via.

Librofilia_it
Mar 23, 2016 Librofilia_it rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finalmente la mia prima lettura targata Joan Didion.
Probabilmente come primo approccio ho scelto forse un libro atipico, troppo duro e doloroso che oltre ad essere una sorta di monologo sulla morte e sulla sopravvivenza successiva alla dipartita di una persona cara e preziosa, a modo suo, è anche una delle lezioni più belle e sagge sulla vita ma soprattutto sull'amore.
Detto questo, penso che sia superfluo ammettere quanto la penna analitica, sfrontata e coraggiosa di Joan Didion mi si sia letter
Michelle
Nov 02, 2015 Michelle rated it really liked it
One reviewer was disappointed because she expected a positive resolution, a theme of redemption or eventual peace. That Didion did not line in silver, candy-coat, happy-tize and "everything-happens-for-a-reason" her experience of the deaths of her husband and daughter, is exactly why this is a much needed narrative/memoir. Her style in writing her grief is beautiful. Her honesty and confession of her distorted thinking around loss is relate-able to those of us who know grief.
I haven't been able
Emily
Jul 09, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
I don't think I can fully appreciate this play without reading the novel. However, I was moved by the play so I can't imagine what the novel will do to me.
Tom Romig
Oct 16, 2013 Tom Romig rated it it was amazing
This happened on December 30, 2003. That may seem a while ago but it won't when it happens to you.
And it will happen to you. The details will be different, but it will happen to you.
That's what I'm here to tell you.

So begins Joan Didion's play about the deaths of her husband, John Gregory Dunne, and her daughter, Quintana Roo Dunne Michael. (Ms. Didion writes movingly, painfully about their deaths in her books The Year of Magical Thinking and Blue Nights. Blue Nights is also a meditation on a
Karen
Jan 02, 2010 Karen rated it it was amazing
I don't know what to think of the coincidence that I bought this book and began reading it on the same day in December, within the same 1 hour timeframe that Joan Didion's husband had a heart attack and died in the book. I guess it is just that, a coincidence, but eerie all the same.
This is a fascinating, heartbreaking, informative story about loss and grief. I loved reading it, as much for the story of their marriage and their literary lives as for the insight into what it is like to be in mou
Kim Ward
Nov 25, 2014 Kim Ward rated it it was amazing
I know it may sound odd at first, but I read this book during the year my mother was dying of cancer. Because it is an unflinching look at the experience of losing loved ones, it was a great comfort. What's more, I could almost SEE the show being performed in my head while I read it, and the shining dialogue she creates bolstered me, reminded me of hope, survival, and how we must care for and remember those we love in order to rise above tragedy.
Julia
Aug 02, 2015 Julia rated it really liked it
Shelves: play
This one woman play is divided up into nine pieces and I thought: what about doing it with three or even nine, or some number of actresses in community theater? It could work that way, it’s gorgeously written, but I don’t want to be surrounded with grief and loss for two plus months. It’s about the death and loss of the author’s husband and only daughter in one year.

I bought this at Catnap Books 6/30/11 $2.00.
Jackie
Jan 23, 2017 Jackie rated it liked it
Shelves: plays
I imagine I would have stronger feelings about this play if I had a) seen it b) read it more than twenty minutes after finishing the book. I can still appreciate this as very impressive adaptation. It is faithful to the book, without being a total rehash. Some things are new. The focus is slightly shifted. I really want to see it on stage.
Megan Fetterolf
May 23, 2012 Megan Fetterolf rated it really liked it
I listened to this audio book and thought the person they chose to read it was the perect choice. There were mixed reviews at book club, but I really liked it. I thought it painted a good picture about what it's like to lose someone you love and the grief that follows after everyones live around you goes on, while you seems frozen in time.
Greasemonkeysx3
Aug 03, 2009 Greasemonkeysx3 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book on grief; dealing with it and coping w/ it. This really was a great book because I could relate to a lot of the same emotions this writer was feeling. This book helped put various things in perspective.
Mntwmyn
Oct 24, 2007 Mntwmyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
A moving and brilliant literary account of the difficult year following her husband's death and her daughter's life threatening illnesses. Still one of the most brilliant American woman of letters.
Valerie Gordon
Mar 13, 2015 Valerie Gordon rated it really liked it
I had never read her lengthier novel - mistakenly downloaded the abridged play version of this very sad story. Enjoyed it.
Christy
Apr 16, 2008 Christy rated it really liked it
A tragic, real-life story of one year in this woman's life. Heartbreaking, but encouraging because of the way she handles things.
Jonathan
Aug 09, 2016 Jonathan rated it it was amazing
A great companion piece for those who have read Didion's memoirs and don't yet feel ready to let go of her words.
Lake Villa District Library
Feb 26, 2017 Lake Villa District Library added it
Recommended to Lake Villa District Library by: Joy
Find this book in our catalog http://ccsp.ent.sirsi.net/client/lvdl...
Robin
May 29, 2014 Robin rated it it was ok
This sad and self-indulgent book shows that death happens, even in the lives of the rich and famous, and grieving is painful, even while jet-setting between New York and Malibu. It’s actually the script for a play produced in 2007, based upon the author’s memoir, but is presented in 9 short chapters. The story is told in first person, from the perspective of a screenwriter whose husband dies in the beginning and whose adult daughter is afflicted with serious illnesses throughout the book.

It’s tr
Sonika
Jan 05, 2016 Sonika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Questo monologo potrebbe essere riassunto in tre parole. Elaborazione. Del. Lutto.
E però l'elaborazione non è una cosa data. E' una cosa che accade e non accade certo in un attimo. Questo monologo racconta anni di elaborazione. L'elaborazione del lutto forse si dà già quando ancora non è. A volte si ha la consapevolezza di non aver neanche iniziato a farlo, ma nel momento in cui la si pensa quel processo è già iniziato. E' un libro che non può non toccare, nonostante non sembri mai disperato. Fr
Joem
Feb 14, 2015 Joem rated it it was ok
I guess it was well written. But it was so sad. And I know it was supposed to be, but I just don't like such sad tales (see also: Dancer In The Dark). But in addition to not liking it because it was so sad, I kept being reminded of and annoyed by her social status. When she mentions the NY Times and LA Times calling, and in such a way as to imply that _of course_ they'd call.... When she talks about all the fancy places she'd live or vacation at... and so on an so on. I know why she mentions suc ...more
Arwen56
Beh, per certi versi mi ha rammentato Paula, di Isabel Allende.

Perdere marito e figlia a poco tempo di distanza, non solo deve essere straziante, ma anche profondamente destabilizzante. Allora che altro puoi fare se non aprire le cateratte della parola e sperare che in questo flusso di ricordi, di amore, di speranze, di illusioni, di errori, di recriminazioni, di sensi di colpa e di gioia che riversi su chiunque abbia voglia di prestare orecchio possa finire per smarrirsi anche quel dolore sord
Louise Sullivan
Oct 29, 2010 Louise Sullivan rated it really liked it
Paola
Dec 14, 2010 Paola rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Se dovesse capitare a me darei tranquillamente e inesorabilmente fuori di matto. O seguirei i miei cari.
Ma a me non può capitare. Vero?
Mi piacerebbe molto vedere/sentire Vanessa Redgrave, attrice che amo molto, recitare questo magnifico e difficilissimo monologo.
A leggerlo sale il pianto. Non so a recitarlo. O a sentirlo recitare.
Jonathan Mandell
May 18, 2007 Jonathan Mandell rated it it was ok
the play version of Joan Didion's book about the year in which both her husband and her daughter died. It doesn't really work as theater, but it's worthwhile to read as an abridged version of her book.
Beth
Jan 03, 2008 Beth rated it really liked it
Less intense than the book just on reading. I have the advantage of having seen Vanessa Redgrave in this on stage, so I can hear her voice as I read it. Read the book first, then the play as a follow-up since it covers events not covered completely in the book.
Amy
Feb 11, 2008 Amy rated it liked it
A quick read to add to a list of completely depressing books I've read of late. This one perhaps touched me less deeply as I am unmarried and with no children. But if I could relate, it would probably be a brilliantly honest portrayal of something I will hopefully never go through.
M Cathy
Sep 05, 2016 M Cathy rated it it was amazing
And people who are grief stricken drive. Beware.
Sylvia
Dec 27, 2011 Sylvia rated it it was amazing
muerte. enfermedad. muerte otra vez. y escribir de ello sin asimilarlo, ello. joan didion logra un relato de la vida después de la muerte, a pesar de la muerte. una genial adaptación de su memoria.
Jessica
Apr 01, 2007 Jessica rated it did not like it
Of course, death, illness, tragedy are tough. Maybe I am a terrible person for rolling my eyes throughout this one, but I don't need to read a self-righteous, uppity new yorker's sob story.
Sharon Johnson
Sep 02, 2015 Sharon Johnson rated it it was amazing
Very moving and poetic. If you have ever experienced loss you can relate.
Shelby
Aug 29, 2015 Shelby rated it it was amazing
Its is beautiful to read. I can't imagine how fantastic it is when it is performed.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • 365 Days/365 Plays
  • A Number
  • Spike Heels
  • The Dybbuk
  • An American Daughter
  • Six Plays: The Father / Miss Julie / The Stronger / Easter / A Dream Play / The Ghost Sonata
  • Marisol and Other Plays
  • Stone Cold Dead Serious: And Other Plays
  • Caroline, or Change
  • Fusion Fire (Firebird, #2)
  • Die Ehe des Herrn Mississippi
  • Frankie and Johnny in the Claire de Lune
  • Boy Gets Girl
  • Superior Donuts
  • I Am a Camera
  • Growing Up X
  • Fear and Misery of the Third Reich
  • The Curious Savage
Joan Didion was born in California and lives in New York City. She's best known for her novels and her literary journalism.

Her novels and essays explore the disintegration of American morals and cultural chaos, where the overriding theme is individual and social fragmentation. A sense of anxiety or dread permeates much of her work.
More about Joan Didion...