The Naked Warrior: Master the Secrets of the Super-Strong - Using Bodyweight Exercises Only

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  366 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Have you noticed-the greater a man's skill, the more he achieves with less? And the skill of strength is no exception. From the ancient days of Greek wrestling, to the jealously guarded secrets of Chinese Kung Fu masters, to the hard men of modern spec ops, warriors and allied strongmen have developed an amazing array of skills for generating inhuman strength.But these ski...more
Published January 1st 2010 by Dragon Door Publications (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Naked Warrior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Naked Warrior

Starting Strength by Mark RippetoeConvict Conditioning by Paul WadeVegetarian Bodybuilding by Ben GfrorerThe New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding by Arnold SchwarzeneggerThe Purposeful Primitive by Marty Gallagher
Best Bodybuilding Books
6th out of 18 books — 10 voters
Warrior of the Light by Paulo CoelhoTo Tame A Highland Warrior by Karen Marie MoningThe Warrior Queens by Antonia FraserThe Forgotten Warrior by Kathi Oram PetersonBeloved Warrior by Patricia Potter
Hottest Warrior Books
6th out of 14 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Strateia8
Feb 16, 2010 Strateia8 rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Strateia8 by: strateia8@hotmail.com
For anyone interested in strength training, this is a must-read. The principles learned through Pavel's program here really do work; they can be applied beyond the two exercises he covers.

That's right: he covers only two exercises here (one-arm pushups and one-leg squats), but he's chosen those moves carefully. And the benefits are manifold. You will come away appreciating those moves far more, and - even better - you'll be able to get more out of any other move in your strength training reperto...more
Daniel H.
This book filled in the gaps of progression of convict conditioning. This book does have a lot of fluff to it but aside from that and repetitive bold "quotes" from that very page the book is pretty golden. The book sets its goal straight off the bat strength training as if you were naked with two exercises that will train your whole body. I feel that the book really deliver on this as well as techniques on how to progress to being able to get to the point of doing it. There is a lot of other inf...more
Daniel
Generally when this book comes up, people talk about the one-arm pushup and the one-leg squat (pistol), but the real meat of this book applies to any movement you do:

1. Greasing the Groove
2. Tension Development
3. Power Breathing in Compression

Everything else in the book is just gravy. Nice, but not needed for the book to be spectacular.

Considering the scope and quality (ranging from genius to fluff) of Pavel's work over the years, to say that this is one of his best is really saying something.
John Scott
"Before I read the book, a one arm one leg push-up was just a push-up, and a single leg squat, just a squat.
After I understood & learned the contents of the book and attended Pavel's Naked Warrior Bodyweight Strength Certification, a push-up was no longer a push-up, a single leg squat, no longer a squat.
Now that I understand the art, a one leg one arm pushup is just a pushup and a single leg squat is just a squat."
-- John Scott Stevens, SFGII, RKC II, CKFMS, SBS
Vhalros
This book is essentially about how to construct an effective strength regimen with no equipment, using two exercises and their variations: the one legged squat (a pistol), and the one armed push-up. Since most people won't be able to do those right away, he covers a progression that will get you there.

The problem is that this is really not enough material to fill out a book, so he has to pad it with less than useful information and extremely large fonts. For example he some how managed to spend...more
Armand
Feb 26, 2012 Armand rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Only two exercises are introduced, but they are dissected and explained to perfection. With the use of graphics and stories, The Naked Warrior hits home on pure strength training technique and explanation. However, I was under the impression that this book would be a some-what glossary of body weight exercises. If you're looking for that, this isn't the book for you.

I gave this book a high rating because it was written well and enjoyable. If the rating was based on content vs. price, I would say...more
Joe
A very interesting book, although I think it could have been written more clearly.

The final chapter seemed to cram a bit too much in and was totally different to the rest of the book.
I think it may be useful for someone at a more advanced level.

It is interesting that is recommends doing particularly exercises almost every day, but not to failure in order to build strength and does not focus on progressive resistance.
Josh
Great explanation of different strength goals (max, endurance, power), technique for strength exercise generally, and detailed descriptions for one leg exercise (pistol squat, and variations) and one arm pushing exercise (one-arm and one-arm & one-leg push-up, and variations). Strategies are given for building up to and adding/reducing the challenge of every exercise.
Mark Neumayer
I have the ebook version of this book and whoever did the conversion was just terrible. Parts of pages are broken up and it is apparent that no effort was made to format the book for the Kindle. Once you struggle through that barrier there is some good information in the book but it does feel padded. (A complaint that I have heard before about Pavel's books.)
David Peirce
This book is a fantastic resource for learning to do bodyweight exercises. I canceled my gym membership and rotate push-up, pull-ups, and pistol squats using Pavel's teaching. Greasing the groove does work!!

However, like many others, I think the book could have more exercises taught. The list price is very expensive. That said, if you do it, you'll see benefits.
Trevor
Some really great tips about proper weight-training technique (including breathing) as well as how to go about Greasing The Groove and great breakdowns on both pistol squats and one-armed push-ups. If the book had gotten rid of all the cross-promotions cluttering the book I'd rate it higher.
Jacob Aitken
Good but basic intro to bodyweight training. While I enjoy reading Pavel, if you've read Convict Conditioning or any other book by Dragon Door, of if you have been doing strength training for a while, you can probably pass on this one and save your $30.
Christoph Hellmuth
If you are traveling or dont have time to visit the gym few times a week, this is the book for you! It wont transform you into a bodybuilder or some kind of meathead but who wants that anyway? You will tough get strong as a horse with this book.
Jason
There was enough material in this book to make a lengthy article or a short booklet, but they used repetition, large fonts, and photographs to pad it out to book length. I'm glad I checked it out from the library instead of buying it.
Damian Doyle
A digestible collection of wisdom harvested from disparate - and unexpected - sources plus great fun to read. Glad a mate put me on to Pavel. Have incorporated the principles into my training and am enjoying the challenge.
Rsoeffker
Pavel knows his shit! This book was a great read and is a wonderful book about mastering yourself! The Naked Warrior makes a laughing stock of the "Fitness Comic Books". Read this if you want to make yourself into a razor!
Thorin
I got a lot of good ideas and concepts from this book. It was pricy and the REALLY LARGE PRINT was a little annoying. But I am glad I read it and I will very likely reference back to it for workouts in the future.
Talha
This book is definitely not for beginners. I liked that Pavel doesn't waste anytime in bashing weight training and extolling virtues of bodyweight training. It is short and to the point with no fluff.
Dieter
First introduction to strength training. The reason why, to this day, I can still doing over 20 one arm push ups. When I did this program, I was doing about 40 on each arm and about 20 pistols.
Jacob
You get some very good descriptions of the one-legged squat and the one-armed push up. However, this is all you get. The book could have been a lot shorter and a lot less expensive.
Billy
Feb 24, 2008 Billy is currently reading it
not exactly written well, but seems like it may have some good information soon...so far though it doesnt seem like it needed more than a short essay to explain it all
Colin Reeder
Very poorly written. Interesting ideas that promote awareness of one's body while performing physical exersion. Valuable advice, crummy read.
Brandon
Really good for people with limited experience and a great desire to increase their proficiency and strength in bodyweight exercises
Ed Chen
I'll probably be always "currently reading" this one, but I'll do it with my clothes on.
Rick
This is the bible - no weights or equipment required. Best thing I can say: it works.
Pete
Interesting information about technique, body leverage, and training methods.
Suellen
All of the good basics... good pictures.... good tips... necessary information.
Zerge
Feb 22, 2013 Zerge added it
Way too advanced for me but interesting anyway.
James Overton
Outstanding information!
Zalo
Zalo marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
  • Convict Conditioning: How to Bust Free of All Weakness Using the Lost Secrets of Supreme Survival Strength
  • Never Let Go: A Philosophy of Lifting, Living and Learning
  • New Rules of Lifting: Six Basic Moves for Maximum Muscle
  • 5/3/1: The Simplest and Most Effective Training System for Raw Strength
  • Becoming a Supple Leopard: The Ultimate Guide to Resolving Pain, Preventing Injury, and Optimizing Athletic Performance
  • Practical Programming for Strength Training
  • You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible Of Bodyweight Exercises For Men And Women
  • How to Eat, Move, and Be Healthy!: Your Personalized 4-Step Guide to Looking and Feeling Great from the Inside Out
  • Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar, and Survival
  • Man 2.0 Engineering the Alpha: A Real World Guide to an Unreal Life
  • Anatomy Trains: Myofascial Meridians for Manual and Movement Therapists
  • The Fat Flush Plan
  • Inside the Box: The Culture, Science, and Sweat of the CrossFit Revolution
Enter the Kettlebell!: Strength Secret of the Soviet Supermen Power to the People!: Russian Strength Training Secrets for Every American Relax Into Stretch: Instant Flexibility Through Mastering Muscle Tension Kettlebell - Simple & Sinister Easy Strength: How to Get a Lot Stronger Than Your Competition-And Dominate in Your Sport