Start by marking “The Dragons of Blueland (My Father's Dragon Trilogy #3)” as Want to Read:
The Dragons of Blueland (My Father's Dragon Trilogy #3)

The Dragons of Blueland (My Father's Dragon #3)

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  2,699 Ratings  ·  139 Reviews
The third volume of the "My Father's Dragon" trilogy, this adventure
may be enjoyed on its own. Here, the baby dragon summons Elmer to help save his
family from hunters. "Elmer's plan is ingenious and plausible, the fantasy
well-sustained."--(starred) "Library Journal."
Published November 12th 1987 by Turtleback Books (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about The Dragons of Blueland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragons of Blueland

Carmen
Aug 04, 2014 Carmen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents; Children
Recommended to Carmen by: Alice
This is a pretty fun book about how the dragon tries to go home to his six sisters and seven brothers, and his dear gigantic mother and father.

On the way, he's spotted by a farmer, leading to the best part of the book, the hilarious Chapter Two: Mr. and Mrs. Wagonwheel. I was laughing out loud at these kooks. So funny.

More problems arise as the dragon approaches home only to find some men have trapped his family in their cave! Can he and his human friend Elmer save them?
Alvin
Nov 03, 2014 Alvin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the least favorite of the series. The first one was the best, and it went downhill from there. I read this for the first time with my 5-year old son. He wanted to rate it with 4 stars; this is the first trilogy we have gotten through together. I would have given it two stars, but added an extra one because it wrapped up the story well, and I will always have the memories of reading this with my son.
Tracy
May 22, 2014 Tracy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful early reader story. I remember reading this when I was little, the librarian @ my elementary had a bunch of us help her craft a gigantic yellow & blue paper mache (covering a 8x4 foot chicken wired body) dragon to be displayed in the library. When I had my own children I read the series them while they were small as well.
Erin
Dec 30, 2015 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
The second and third books weren't anywhere near as good as the first, but my kids adored these books, so 4 stars. This was the first genuine chapter book series we've finished together, and they were quite proud of that. They are great adventure stories for kids that scare easily (like my five year old), and I enjoy their gentleness and charm.
Liz Dean
This was my least favorite of the trilogy, because it just wasn't as funny as the first, and didn't have the feeling of adventure of the second. This was Charlie's favorite of the trilogy "because it had all the dragons in it."
Kressel Housman
The conclusion of a really sweet series that my kids wanted to read on their own after hearing it from me. What more could a parent hope for?
Rachel
Jun 15, 2016 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my favorite books ever as a child!
Hilary
The Dragons of Blueland is the third book in the My Father's Dragon trilogy. The first book I read when I was a child, and I much cherished the copy I had of it. I can't count how many times I read it, but it was a constant companion as I was growing up and probably is still among my possessions somewhere. The book is a great tool for the imagination, and as I happily found out today the remaining two books in the trilogy are all as equally wonderful.

This book follows in the footsteps of Elme
Alec Longstreth
Jan 31, 2017 Alec Longstreth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally this series delivers! The first book has one dragon that makes a brief appearance at the very end of the book (boooo), the second book has one dragon who is there for the whole story (yay!) and then this third book has like FIFTEEN dragons in it. A nice simple story with charming illustrations. I look forward to reading these with my daughter when she gets a bit older.
Faith
Feb 02, 2017 Faith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
This was the conclusion to the My Father's Dragon trilogy; they're short reads, so it was natural to fit them in close together.

In this book, the dragon, on his way to being reunited with family, learns they are about to be captured. He asks Elmer for help, knowing he can't coordinate a rescue on his own. A sweet conclusion to the trilogy.
Drew Graham
Dec 02, 2011 Drew Graham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: me
As familiar as I may or may not have been with the previous two books in this trilogy, I don't have any recollection of this one at all until recently. When I picked up the first two it was only fitting I should round off the experience with this final chapter in the adventures of Elmer Elevator and his friend the dragon. After dropping Elmer off at home, the dragon heads to his homeland to be reunited with his large dragon family. When he learns that his gentle family is being threatened by a g ...more
Leigh Teale
Jul 16, 2015 Leigh Teale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
THE DRAGONS OF BLUELAND is the third and final book in the “My Father’s Dragon” trilogy. While just as adventurous (if not more so) than the previous two books, I have to admit that I loved ELMER AND THE DRAGON just a tiny bit more. Perhaps because I found it funnier? Humor goes a long way with me. It was very enjoyable, though. The baby dragon, who we now find is named Boris, has taken Elmer home and now has to make it back to Blueland hidden in the midst of the Awful Desert without being seen ...more
Shanna Gonzalez
Sep 21, 2009 Shanna Gonzalez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-04-08
This story rounds out the trilogy begun with My Father's Dragon. Leaving Elmer at his home, the baby dragon flies away to his own home, the cave at the center of the Awful Desert in the Mountains of Blueland. There, his parents, six sisters and seven brothers are trapped in a cave whose entrance is guarded by a group of men. In desperation he returns to Elmer to ask for help, and their adventures commence. Through planning, judicious use of provisions, and ingenuity they free the dragon's family ...more
Kate Schwarz
This book should get 3 1/2 stars--the average between 3 from me and 4 from Lorelei and Ben. But since I'm typing this and they are sleeping...3 stars it gets.

It's the third in the series that we've read, and I still think that these books are really good first-read-aloud-chapter books for kids. The stories are exciting little tales with a little bit of reality (i.e. there's a boy involved and he does have a real, human family) and a whole lot of fantasy (i.e. there are talking, flying dragons th
Judy
Aug 08, 2011 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, 2011-reads
This is the story of Basil, a young dragon, who upon reaching his way home from being rescued by Elmer Elevator, finds that his family is netted in by fearful humans. Basil enlists Elmer's help in order to free them. This is a charming book like the other Dragon books, however, it doesn't have quite as much charm or pizazz as the others in the series. I would have liked to see Basil remedy his own problem since the title of the book is The Dragons of Blueland,not Elmer and the Dragons of Bluelan ...more
Riho Uto
-Random House
-Time:9/17=24min 9/19=40min
-7 words summary:Dragon-Family-Caught-Rescue-Elmer-Support-Succeed
-Discussion questions:
1.Have you ever helped your family?
Yes, I have. I sometimes teach English or Maths to my younger sister. However,I have never helped my family from dangerous situations.
2.There are many colorful dragons. What color is the best for dragon?
I think green is the best! I like green and some pictures of dragons are normally green color.

I finished the series of Elmer. These
Conan Tigard
Nov 16, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found that The Dragons of Blueland was an excellent conclusion to the trilogy of books about Boris the dragon. I only wish that there were more. Ruth Stiles Gannett spins a wonderful tale about a baby dragon trying to rescue his family from being captured by humans and sent away to various zoos.

The Dragons of Blueland is very light-hearted and fun to read. Children of all ages will enjoy reading this book or having it read to them.

I highly recommend all three books in this series (My Father'
Dale Johnson
Mar 21, 2015 Dale Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 2nd-3rd graders and their parents
Recommended to Dale by: My 3rd grader
First published as a 3rd grade level book (probably 2nd grade by today's standards). I'm now gifting them to my grand daughter. Occasional illustrations. At 78 pages, this was an easy half-hour read.

Book 3: The Dragons of Blue Land.
The lightest of the three books, but the most intense. This follows the dragon as he returns home after dropping Elmer off, finds that his family is in danger, and goes back to get Elmer to help him rescue them. It has little character, but intense non-stop action as
J. Boo
Mar 02, 2016 J. Boo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The baby dragon drops off Elmer, flies home to Blueland, and discovers his enormous - in both number and poundage - family is in danger of being captured and taken to the zoo. He goes back to get Elmer... (view spoiler)

Considerably weaker than the first two, though the kids didn't complain. I have the feeling that Gannett rushed this one so as to get it out of the way; she seems to have married and begun having children around the t
Verkizen
The Dragons of Blueland by Ruth Stiles Gannett is the last book in the My Father's Dragon trilogy. This book follows the newly released baby dragon home where he finds that his parents and siblings have been backed into a cave by some human hunters. Boris (YES THE BABY DRAGON'S NAME IS BORIS. I might have squealed a little bit by how cute that was when I read it) returns to his friend Elmer to get help in releasing his family.

I loved this series. It's quick but delightful. Elmer is inventive an
Jorie Turner
Dec 02, 2007 Jorie Turner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: grades 1-3
Shelves: fantasy, chapter
Summary: Elmer and Boris return in the final book of the tiology. Men have discovered that the dragons are real and where they are living. Elmer and Boris quickly run off to the land of Blueland to help his family before the hunters find the dragons and capture them to sell to zoo's and circuses.
Response: This is probably the most thrilling and exciting book of the three. Every page offers decision making and consequences for Elmer and his dragn friends. Great illistrations of maps, the kids co
Lirongs8
May 08, 2008 Lirongs8 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lirongs8 by: It recommended by my school teacher
In this third and final installment of the classic Elmer and the Dragons trilogy, Elmer is safe and sound at home in Evergreen Park while Boris is heading to Blueland, where he'll retunite with his family. There's just one problem: hunter have trapped Boris's family and plan to capture and sell them to zoos all over the world! When Boris discoversthe hunters' plan, he knows exactly who to go to for help -Elmer Elevator, whose creative plans and schemes always save the day.
I have learn how to s
Beth Anne
Jan 09, 2013 Beth Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud, 2013, 2014
1/13: read aloud to Will and Emma. They loved the conclusion, and it's been a great series for Will. He said this was his favorite book of the three (although I'm more inclined to think it was his favorite because we just finished it!). So fun, so exciting, and wonderful illustrations.

1/13: Perfect ending to this great little series. Light, fun, and whimsical. Emma loved every bit of the quirky characters, the silly plot, and couldn't wait to see what would happen!
Carmen
My mother had an old copy of this book when I was a child and I loved the illustrations. As an adult, I often wondered about the book (my mother could not remember and the book has become lost over the years). I finally ran into someone who knew and discovered that it was part of a trilogy! I have read the other two, but this volume is still my favorite.
Rachel
This is the finale of the excellent trilogy "My Father's Dragon." It is a great adventure, and Elmer (our hero, "my father") is a very inventive and resourceful boy. I recommend this as a read aloud for preschoolers and a read alone for older readers. I think this would be enjoyed by a wide age range.
Carol
Mar 31, 2016 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very satisfying conclusion to Ruth Stiles Gannett's trilogy about Elmer and the dragon he meets and saves in book 1. In this concluding story, the dragon (Boris) tries to go home, only to discover that his family is in danger of being captured. So he returns to where Elmer lives and they go to Blueland to help his family avoid capture.
Ronster
Dec 01, 2007 Ronster rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Grades 2-4
Fantasy and adventure. This is the last in the trilogy. The baby dragon finds his way home, but discovers that his family is trapped by hunters. He travels to find Elmer to get his help in order to save his family. Read along with two previous chapter books. Use as a read aloud and keep the trilogy in classroom library. Full of adventure and problem solving.
Laura5
This series has a special hold on my heart - I can just tell that this will be one of those books that is forever cemented into my 6yr old son's memories of his childhood.
We have already talked about how we may read the whole series together again sometime.

(our copy is the anniversary edition of the three books bound together in one)
Richelle
Jul 06, 2010 Richelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was probably the most exciting one of the My Father's Dragon trilogy. Elmer and the cat were back. My five year old kept sneaking looks at the pictures in upcoming chapters after we were done reading each day because he really wanted to know what was going to happen next with trying to rescue the dragon's family from dragon hunters.
Portia
Feb 24, 2015 Portia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
OK I have to confess I didn't read the whole thing because AJ and I were reading it together but she got a little too eager and ended up reading a lot, including the ending, without waiting for me. But she filled me in by summarizing and she loved the whole thing. Very simple, bizarre old tale and since it has a boy and a dragon it was right up her alley.
  • Dolphin Adventure
  • Jane on Her Own (Catwings, #4)
  • Jenny and the Cat Club: A Collection of Favorite Stories about Jenny Linsky
  • Egermeier's Bible Story Book
  • Mercy Watson to the Rescue (Mercy Watson #1)
  • Toy Dance Party: Being the Further Adventures of a Bossyboots Stingray, a Courageous Buffalo, and a Hopeful Round Someone Called Plastic  (Toys, #2)
  • Here's a Penny
  • Happy Birthday, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #5)
  • The Apple and the Arrow
  • Anna Hibiscus (Anna Hibiscus, #1)
  • A Mouse Called Wolf
  • The Light at Tern Rock (Newbery Library, Puffin)
  • Hey Kid, Want to Buy a Bridge? (Time Warp Trio #11)
  • Tucker's Countryside
  • In Aunt Lucy's Kitchen (Cobble Street Cousins, # 1)
Ruth Stiles Gannett wrote My Father's Dragon just a few years after her graduation from Vassar College in 1944.

She lives in Upstate New York.

More about Ruth Stiles Gannett...

My Father's Dragon (3 books)
  • My Father's Dragon (My Father's Dragon, #1)
  • Elmer and the Dragon (My Father's Dragon, #2)