Start by marking “Murder on Capitol Hill (Capital Crimes, #2)” as Want to Read:
Murder on Capitol Hill (Capital Crimes, #2)

Murder on Capitol Hill (Capital Crimes #2)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  595 ratings  ·  42 reviews
'Murder On Capitol Hill proves that the author is much more than a one-term mystery writer. Her latest has all the insider's knowledge and gossip that made Murder In The White House so captivating.'-Booklist
Published December 31st 1981 by William Morrow & Company (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Murder on Capitol Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder on Capitol Hill

I loved all of the different angles that kept appearing in this novel. The mystery would seem clear cut, then it would run off in a different direction. Eventually it all xame back together. My only criticism would be that there were a few loose ends left, but that is true in life.
Sharyn Hutchens
Well-crafted mystery

This is a suspenseful murder mystery with all the right elements. Only two things kept me from giving it five stars. I had trouble keeping the characters straight; there were just too many of them. And a phone call made by Christa's friend Amy towards the end seemed contrived. The reason she gave for making the call just didn't jibe and it seemed more a convenience for the author, who needed to get someone from Washington to New York. Other than those two things, an excellen
I'm not a fan of predictability. I'm especially not a fan of the protagonist being blind to things that should be obvious to her, so that she looks like she's stupid. In this book we had all of that plus the protagonist essentially blaming one of the victims (who was victimized first by her father/lover and then by the murderer) for having acted so badly as to deserve her own murder. Really??? I'm definitely done with this series and very glad I could get the two I read from Kindle Unlimited, th ...more
Ellen Moore
This was a very good book--one I didn't want to put down! It had lots of action and some twists and turns. Truman writes well about the Washington she knew as daughter of a President. This book had interesting characters, an arty group, political figures, wealthy and powerful persons, journalists, and a cult. It was a gripping story and well done.
Another decent political mystery from Margaret Truman, who certainly used her White House knowledge to portray a gritty Washington reality. It reads like a thriller, with plenty of twists and turns. While the murderer was pretty obvious from the get go, the motive kept me guessing right until the end.
"Jason DeFlaunce"? SERIOUSLY???
(view spoiler)
Why did I do this to myself. Seriously, that's about 2 hours of my life I'll never get back. I could have spent that time staring at the back of the bus seats, it would have been better for me. This book, which was worse even than Murder
Jane Rutherford
I liked most of the book, but felt the ending left a few storylines unfinished so I had to mark it down one star. I wanted just a little more. And the heroine seemed pretty gullible for a lawyer (of course the book is 34 years old and maybe times were simpler then).
Tom Ferguson
Pretty good, however I enjoyed the midsection of the story much more than the conclusion. Truman does good character development and has a way of drawing you in. I only wish she'd drive through to the finish and have a more compelling conclusion. All I all it was worth reading.
In perusing some lists on Goodreads I came across some other books I had forgotten I had read - I REALLY enjoyed Margaret Truman's books! As a Canadian, I learned a bit more about USA history.
I enjoyed the story and found it to be a fast-paced, quick read. One of the attractions of this series is Ms. Truman's familiarity with the inner workings of Washinton, D.C., which she puts to good use in this novel. With one or two exceptions, the characters are well-drawn. The books in this series are "genteel mysteries" -- the opposite of "hard-boiled." One aspect of the author's style that is occasionally irritating: she sometimes pauses the action while the protagonist shares a long interna ...more
Tulay Leonhardt
Very good book.

Will be reading all the books written by Margaret Truman. Even forty years ago our elected officials didn't work for the people, murders, brain washing and family dynamics.
Margaret Truman has such a gift for developing fictional crimes in Washington DC. Always a pleasure to read.
this was a great snow-day read. moved easily; lots of good details about life on capitol hill; good mystery.
This started off really slow for me. It didn't really pick up until the last 150 pages or so.
Jane Holt
good not great. spoiled by louise penny novels but love the political aspect of these
Another light read and quick mystery set in our nation's capitol. Enjoyable.
5 original
4 good topic
3 fast read
4 plot ("slow" I commented)
4 opinion
Iris Smale
Have loved every Margaret Truman book that I've read.
David Reynolds
Good..not her best, but solid!
I wasn't really impressed with this book. It had too many subplots that were supposed to weave together into the main storyline but never really did. When the murder was resolved at the end, it left me feeling flat. And the author never really explains adequately why the murders happened in the first place. Maybe it was because this was written in 1981 and was culturally dated, but I felt the characters were not well developed and the story was not very satisfying. I doubt if I will read any mor ...more
I liked the storyline. Truman knows how to write a mystery. The twists, turn and false starts are good for keeping the readers on their toes. The endings to these books are good old fashion tension, no shoot'em ups or crazy car chases. In the end you get down to the important players and find out who did it. Because Margaret Truman lived and worked in DC she has a good reference to the workings on Capitol Hill and she is very firmiliar with the area in and around DC. Next up; Murder in the Supre ...more
Keli Wright
I really liked this book.. I think I liked it even more because of where I live. :) The only thing that I did not like was how they depictied a senator from Utah as being a drinking, smoking womanizer..because I am not sure someone like that could get elected in Utah.. I don't like when people do lots of research about other places then get things wrong about Utah or my religion. other than that. I liked the book I liked the pace and the suspense..
I have read many different Margaret Truman books. She has an insight to Washington DC that most people do not. Her attention to details is amazing. She is very descriptive about parts of DC, like government buildings and such, that is fascinating. This is well worth the read.

Emirine Joy
The mystery of death of Senator Caldwell leads into revelation of the secrets of Caldwell family. From that Capitol Hill Art Center, The Cult involved & the power that need to maintain. In reality, politicians & the government in every nations have different secrets. One thing is that this story slight related to what really happened to Capitol Hill Massacre year 2006.
A Senator is killed with an ice pick at a party thrown in his own honor. Throw in 200 suspects that attended the party and a religious cult and you have a murder to solve.

This book wasn't as interesting as her later books. But that is to be understood that an author usually grows as they publish more.
Catherine Woodman
This series is usually well written (which at this point makes me wonder if she is the author still because they still hold together well, and she has to be getting up there in age), not too heavy on character development, and not driven by action--acceptable mysteries
I guessed correctly, though no way could I ever have unraveled that mess for motive or how big the whole plot really was. There was also one thread left dangling, unresolved, though just a minor one. It was a good book, not the best I've ever read, but entertaining nonetheless.
This one was good, but a little more difficult to follow than the previous one. Probably didn't help that I read it before I went to bed. But these books are always entertaining and now I'm moving on to the one about the Supreme Court.
Mary Mathews
I like Margaret Truman's mysteries. I also like mysteries that keep you guessing until the very end. As with any story set in Washington DC, fiction or non, there are always more than one "bad guy".
  • Murder in the Lincoln Bedroom (Eleanor Roosevelt, #19)
  • Gift Collection: D is for Deadbeat / E is for Evidence / F is for Fugitive
  • The Eye of Horus
  • Never Give Up: My Stroke, My Recovery & My Return to the NFL
  • My Just Desire: The Life of Bess Raleigh, Wife to Sir Walter
  • What We Eat When We Eat Alone: Stories and 100 Recipes
  • How to be a Ghost (A Libby Grace Mystery, #1)
  • A Deadly Vineyard Holiday (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #8)
  • Iced  (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #3)
  • Uncatalogued (A Booklover's Mystery, #6)
  • Night Kill (Iris Oakley, #1)
  • Buffalo West Wing (A White House Chef Mystery, #4)
  • The Case of the Killer Divorce (A Jamie Quinn Mystery, #2)
  • Fatal Identity
  • The Man Who Fell from the Sky
  • First to Find (Caching Out, #1)
Mary Margaret Truman-Daniel, widely known throughout her life as "Margaret Truman", (February 17, 1924 — January 29, 2008) was an American singer who later became a successful writer. She was the only child of Harry S. Truman (33rd President of the United States) and his wife Bess.

Born in Independence, Missouri, she was christened Mary Margaret Truman (for her aunt Mary Jane Truman and her materna
More about Margaret Truman...

Capital Crimes (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Murder in the White House (Capital Crimes, #1)
  • Murder In The Supreme Court (Capital Crimes, #3)
  • Murder in the Smithsonian (Capital Crimes, #4)
  • Murder on Embassy Row (Capital Crimes, #5)
  • Murder at the FBI (Capital Crimes, #6)
  • Murder in Georgetown (Capital Crimes, #7)
  • Murder in the CIA (Capital Crimes, #8)
  • Murder at the Kennedy Center (Capital Crimes, #9)
  • Murder at the National Cathedral (Capital Crimes, #10)
  • Murder at the Pentagon (Capital Crimes, #11)