Start by marking “Compelled by Love: How to Change the World Through the Simple Power of Love in Action” as Want to Read:

4.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  701 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Compelled by Love, the true story of the ministry of Heidi and Rolland Baker in the war-torn, poverty and disease-stricken country of Mozambique, chronicles twenty-seven years of ministry among the poorest people on earth. The book is based upon the beatitudes as seen through the eyes of third-world pastors and missionaries. The Bakers have experienced God’s miraculous pro ...more
Published July 18th 2008 by Charisma House

To ask other readers questions about Compelled by Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Compelled by Love

I Kissed Dating Goodbye by Joshua HarrisThe Horse and His Boy by C.S. LewisThe Magician's Nephew by C.S. LewisThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisEdna in the Desert by Maddy Lederman
Book for girls list
7th out of 52 books — 7 voters
William and Catherine Booth by Helen Kooiman HosierPaper Roses by Amanda CabotVisions Beyond the Veil by H.A. BakerKnight of the Purple Ribbon by Jennifer K LaffertyCharles Spurgeon by J.C. Carlile
Historical Christian Stories
17th out of 28 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Caroline
Jan 10, 2011 Caroline rated it it was amazing
This book significantly reshaped my vision on world missions and the impact we have the possibility to make through the power of Jesus. I highly recommend this book, but be warned: it will challenge your "theology" and force you, as it did for me, to reevaluate why you live.
Brant
Aug 03, 2011 Brant rated it it was amazing
Heidi's story and life totaly undoes me. New Testament Christianity lived out. Its a glimpse of how a life of fully sacrificed love can change a nation. Makes Western Christianty look totally bankrupt and impotent!
Andreea
Apr 05, 2016 Andreea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life changing book.
Abigail
Jan 17, 2014 Abigail rated it really liked it
Mama Aida (Heidi's Mozambiqan name) writes about God's heart for the poor in spirit (poor not from an economic stance, but rather, poor in one's "posture of the heart.. where one is wholly given fully yielded completely desperate and totally dependent on God alone"). She divides stories from her time in Mozambique according to the eight Beatitudes in Matthew 5:3-12. She also quotes Mother Teresa throughout her book.

She writes very simply (not a hard read at all), but still manages to profoundly
Sam Fink
May 30, 2012 Sam Fink rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone seeking a closer relationship with God
Deeply moving story of Heidi Baker but even more so a call to us blessed with riches in life to live each day aware of God's love. Baker asks not they we all abandon the daily world and travel to exotic locales. Rather, she asks that we abandon ourselves and travel to God.

update (30 Mar 2012) I read a second time as part of a fellowship group but at a slower pace. It is difficult to push past the limitations of my own faith and to not be shamed by the work of Heidi Baker. Her story draws paralle
Ron
Jul 05, 2010 Ron rated it liked it
Well written, but includes much material from Heidi's earlier books. If you're tempted to buy several, don't. Just buy one, preferably one of the later ones.
Kacie Drake
Jan 24, 2014 Kacie Drake rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
One of my top five favorite books. Easy.
Caused me, essentially, to re-examine my whole view of the Gospel, of Jesus, of obedience.
Megan King
Feb 18, 2014 Megan King rated it it was amazing
An amazingly inspiring book. It stirred up passion in me to live a life laid-down
Lena Morrison
Nov 26, 2015 Lena Morrison rated it liked it
I do my reviews in the form of a letter, which is why they are written like this.

Dear Heidi Baker,

I liked this book. The message was perhaps one of the most important messages we as a church need to hear.

You have an incredible story. I liked hearing about all the people that were affected by the love of Jesus. I loved hearing about all the people that were healed in Jesus' name. I also really enjoyed how you presented each of the Beatitudes.

I only gave it three stars because I felt a lot of it
Autumn Beckstein
Jul 03, 2014 Autumn Beckstein rated it it was amazing
Heidi Baker is a champion at putting the words of Christ into action . With child like faith, she encourages all to believe for the impossible, expecting Christ to show up amidst adversity, and not over analyzing his miracles; if he did them once, then most certainly, he will do them again . This is a must read for the believer with a weary heart in need of encouragement, however, her books tend to rehash stories she's told in previous books so purchase selectively.
Sarabeara
This is an amazing book that will stir you to have the heart of God, His passionate heart of love for people. I love Heidi writes not just of the poor in third world nations but of the poor in western nations, people who have much but have nothing much in reality. It is a start reminder that us as westerners are missing something so amazing when it comes to the love of God in giving and receiving it.
Jonathan Hogan
Feb 08, 2016 Jonathan Hogan rated it it was amazing
Compelled By Love shows the reader the world that missionaries Heidi and Rolland Baker live in. More than a book on Christian theory, this is a book about their everyday experiences of God’s love. They are a new model for ministry that puts God first and doesn’t have a plan B. This book shows us what is possible when we live truly trusting Jesus.
Daniel
I love the story of Heidi and Roland Baker. it always inspires me. they are an example to me of lives theology. they live out their understanding of God and his love in radical ways. this book is a reflection of that. Heidi reflects on the beatitudes through the prism of the work they have done in Mozambique. highly recommended.
J.
Feb 18, 2014 J. rated it it was amazing
This is such a beautiful book written by a woman who really knows and loves Jesus. In the first few pages I already felt the tears coming, and it was so refreshing to read Heidi Baker's simple, sincere account of who God is and how He moves, even today. Definitely a book to revisit once in a while!
Becky
Aug 26, 2015 Becky rated it it was ok
This book inspires greater faith in your everyday walk with Christ. Its filled with story after story of the mighty miracles God has done through this ministry. The applications to life in America were a bit lacking. Overall an inspiring read and I would recommend it, with the premise that its filled with amazing accounts but the call to action is not super great.
Rick
Jul 31, 2014 Rick rated it really liked it
Heidi Baker lives and works among the poorest of the poor. In some ways her service is similar to Mother Teresa'a, whom she indicates was a big influence on her. Indeed, each chapter includes a quote from Mother Teresa. The book is structured around the Beatitudes.

Frankly, I was not expecting to enjoy this nearly as much as I did.
Davina Sinclair
Sep 21, 2012 Davina Sinclair rated it liked it
Was a bit skeptical before reading this but you can't help but respect the fact that Heidi Baker has an amazing love for God and for the poor. Her work in Mozambique is amazing. She never turns a child away. However, I struggled a bit to understand whether she was saying our lives could be so transformed here on earth that we will no longer have tears or pain. Every chapter covers one of the beatitudes. I loved the quotes from mother Terasa and also the chapter on "blessed are the poor in heart" ...more
Ian Harrison
Nov 05, 2014 Ian Harrison rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
One of my favorite reads of last summer. So totally perspective-shifting and belief-testing that i had to put the book down a hundred times, breathe deeply, cry, and start the next chapter. I couldn't recommend this book more highly.
Hye Sung
Feb 22, 2013 Hye Sung rated it it was amazing
A short book that is extremely readable that will have you giggling to yourself and perhaps even weeping. It is simple but carries a profound message that calls for, as Randy Clark put it, "a heart examination". Heidi has been living out the mercy and grace of God since she first came encountered Jesus at 16 years old and has been bringing this freedom and joy to thousands since. This book is packed with biblical wisdom that needs to be heard by a love-deprived Church. "Compelled by Love" may no ...more
Emily
Sep 14, 2014 Emily rated it it was amazing
This book is like reading the New Testament - multiplication miracles, the blind seeing, the deaf hearing, the crippled walking. And even more amazing are the stories of totally transformed people as they are touched by Jesus. I cannot recommend this book more highly!
Brenda Dewalt
Jul 01, 2015 Brenda Dewalt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stories of one woman's flat-out obedience to the Lord and how He miraculously moves in and through her life to minister to many.
Lizbeth Johnson
Jun 29, 2014 Lizbeth Johnson rated it it was amazing
Its all about love. Love love love.Ive read over this book , re-read it,pondered on it.Read it out,flicked through it,quoted it,photocopied chunks of it,recommended it, ive even led a seminar based around it.Thats not because Heidi is the greatest writer ive ever known or because her own personal successand achievments are greatest ive ever read. Its because the heart of the one she serves is so laced all through it,his hall mark so clearly seen in such a way that it has knocked me sideways ,and ...more
Sondra Weidman
Nov 25, 2015 Sondra Weidman rated it it was amazing
This was an inspiring book of Love, Sacrifice and miracles.
S.D. Morrison
Feb 24, 2014 S.D. Morrison rated it it was amazing
Great testimonies and inspiring stories.
Adam
Jul 29, 2011 Adam rated it it was amazing
Mother Teresa wrote,

"The world today is hungry not only for bread but hungry for love; hungry to be wanted, to be loved. They're hungry to feel that presence of Christ."

This is one of those books that is hard to put down. It's hard to put down because one senses that its words embody "that presence of Christ." Not only does Heidi's life illustrate Jesus' beatitudes incredibly well but it reminds us that love gives birth to miracles.

Small things done with great love will change the world.
Lorene Cobb
Mar 09, 2013 Lorene Cobb rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual-life
This was the most powerful message of translating the love of God I've read in years. Using the beatitudes and examples from her life of ministry in Africa she pushes the reader to see the power of love, provision from God, and our place of inheritance as His child. Your jaw will drop at the examples of fearless courage, unconditional love and mercy, and the miracles that are revealing Jesus to the lost. When you finish this book, your heart will be filled with more compassion for the world.
Ian
Feb 07, 2016 Ian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: popular-theology
Described as the pentecostal Mother Teresa, Heidi Baker has led an exemplary life of following her heart which is filled by a desire to serve God. For the past several years she has been serving the poor and destitute in Mozambique seeing incredible provision by God through horrific poverty and pain. Sharing her views on the Beatitudes through her own experience in Eastern Africa this book just breathes the incredible power in knowing Jesus and how it can change lives and nations!
Carol
Jun 22, 2011 Carol rated it really liked it
Recommended to Carol by: Tracey
Shelves: faith
The title says it all "Compelled by Love". Using the Beatitudes Heidi Baker shows us how she has lived them out through love. A deep, abiding love of Jesus.
"Don't go out to share Him unless you are in love with Him. When you are in love with Jesus, then all you do will radiate Him. It is to the degree that you are in love that you radiate Him."

This book is filled with quotes by Mother Theresa, giving me the desire to read her writings.
Steve Watson
Jul 26, 2013 Steve Watson rated it really liked it
I'd heard Heidi Baker speak at my church and knew her ministry was admired by many I know. Reading this book gave me a greater window into her heart and work, though. More than anything else, I'm impressed with Heidi's joining her own love and power as a human being to the enormous love and power God has given her for the welfare of others. I'm inspired to a life more fully marked by love.
Seth Skogerboe
Nov 11, 2013 Seth Skogerboe rated it liked it
Compelled by Love was full of beautiful stories - amazing stories. Heidi writes of an impossible, glorious faith, recalling God's power through herself and those around her. This I appreciate much. There aren't enough books like that out there!
However, the writing is notably weak. She tends towards redundancy and exaggeration. Over all, a good book, but the delivery detracts from the message.
  • Always Enough: God's Miraculous Provision Among the Poorest Children on Earth
  • The Supernatural Power of a Transformed Mind: Access to a Life of Miracles
  • Visions Beyond the Veil: Visions of Heaven, Angels, Satan, Hell, and the End of the Age
  • Culture of Honor: Sustaining a Supernatural Environment
  • Love Has a Face: Mascara, a Machete and One Woman's Miraculous Journey with Jesus in Sudan
  • The Essential Guide To Healing
  • Compassion, Justice and the Christian Life: Rethinking Ministry to the Poor
  • Like a Mighty Wind
  • Secrets of the Secret Place: Keys to Igniting Your Personal Time with God
  • A Cry for Justice
Heidi Baker PhD is a Christian missionary and with her husband Rolland Baker are founders of Iris Global and the author of several books.

With her husband Rolland, Heidi founded IRIS Ministries in 1980, a non-profit Christian ministry dedicated to Jesus and service, especially among the poor. After twelve years ministering in Asia, they left in 1992 to do their PhD's at King's College London, UK. I
More about Heidi Baker...

“If you are called as a missionary—a “sent-out one”—then you are called to comfort those who mourn. You are called to love the broken until they understand God’s love—a love that never dies—through you.” 6 likes
“As our hearts become pure, our vision becomes clearer.” 4 likes