Start by marking “Vegan A Go-Go!: A Cookbook & Survival Manual for Vegans on the Road” as Want to Read:
Vegan A Go-Go!: A Cookbook & Survival Manual for Vegans on the Road

Vegan A Go-Go!: A Cookbook & Survival Manual for Vegans on the Road

Sarah Kramer is a vegan superstar; she was named “The World’s Coolest Vegan” by Herbivore Magazine, and her first three cookbooks have sold a combined total of over two hundred thousand copies. Vegan a Go-Go! represents a change of pace for Sarah: it is a cookbook and more for vegan travelers, many of whom are daunted by the idea of going on the road and being able to loca ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Arsenal Pulp Press

To ask other readers questions about Vegan A Go-Go!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vegan A Go-Go!

Lisa Vegan
Aug 07, 2008 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those looking for easy to make meals; those on the go or with limited space for cookbooks
This book is tiny and truly portable. But when I travel one of my greatest pleasures is to eat at local vegan restaurants. However, if I ever took an extended trip and had kitchen facilities this would be an ideal cookbook to bring along. It’s a fun read too, very entertaining, and easy to read small sections at a time, so therefore also good for travel in that sense.

Many cookbooks’ recipes have icons when applicable, and the ones included here are particularly pertinent to the type of book it i
jess
Jan 02, 2009 jess rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009, food
Sarah Kramer, vegan superstar, returns to the vegan cookbook scene with this palm-sized volume meant to aid the vegan traveler wherever they wander. There is an of assumed punk/indie cred for the intended audience of the book, and many recipes rely on access to some kitchen wares & appliances, like if you were staying with friends or fam. If you travel without a kitchen (hotel / camping) some of the recipes can be made before, and sealed in containers to hit the road with you. There are some ...more
penny shima glanz
Sep 21, 2009 penny shima glanz rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-nypl, cooking
This slim little volume really surprised me. I forget why I first placed a library hold for it, but when it came in, I picked it up hoping for ideas on gluten-free foods I could keep easily at the office or when I'm out running errands. What? Don't I know the difference between gluten-free and vegan? Yes. But I try to limit my meat and dairy even if I'm not 100% vegetarian or vegan. When I'm out and about I don't want to schlep dairy products around if I don't have to.

I was concerned when I fir
Amy M.
Sep 02, 2012 Amy M. rated it it was ok
I really liked the idea of this book. Traveling as a vegan can be difficult without pre-planning. The travel tips in the beginning were solid. However, I was disappointed with the recipe section. Many of the recipes are rehashed from previous books. The majority seem to be only appropriate if you are staying someplace with a stocked kitchen.
I guess the main reason I rated this book so low is because I was expecting something different. More traveling advice on how to stay a vegan while travelin
AJ
Dec 25, 2009 AJ rated it liked it
This book is okay but I'm not sure how useful it will be. I thought it would have a lot more travel tips along the lines of what to do when you're really hungry and you're traveling in a place that doesn't have any chow you can eat, but the intro is a lot of common sense travel tips and then the rest is recipes. I don't know how useful recipes will be if I'm staying in a hotel without a kitchen in an area that doesn't have grocery stores, but I can see how it would be nice for times that you'll ...more
Susan B
Apr 15, 2015 Susan B rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, travel
This pocket-sized book is perfect to take with you on your travels. Kramer begins with stories about her own travel experiences, then offers some trip tips (food, personal safety, avoiding jet lag, etc.) before moving on to recipes that are easy to make on the road. Since many of them require access to a kitchen, it can be limiting if you are hoteling it. She acknowledges this and recommends staying in efficiency suites or renting a cottage-type lodging.

I'd say even if you're not traveling, the
Richard Van Camp
Apr 08, 2013 Richard Van Camp rated it it was amazing
This little book saved us many times in the Eastern Arctic when we were cooking for students who were Vegan and those students who wanted to eat better. What I return to time and time again is Sarah's intro essay about being robbed at gunpoint when she was younger and how this terrifying night actually set her free from so many fears. Please read it.

These recipes are fun, easily explained and the design of the book makes you feel like you're holding a Saturday night party in your hands.

This bo
Rachael
May 09, 2009 Rachael rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking-baking
This book is very cute and I would recommend it. I love Sarah Kramer. This book however, unlike her others, seemed very impractical to me. I guess the trips I feel I need help with preparing are not the ones described in the book. There are a lot more hard to find ingredients in these recipes than her others. I found her general advice on traveling helpful, but I don't think I'll ever really use the recipes.
S. M.
May 11, 2016 S. M. rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, cookbooks
The tofu jerky recipe is my only ear-marked page in this so far (and I've made it many times because it's amazing). The bulk of this book is mostly impractical, but there are a few quick and pre-make ideas that seem alright.
September Dee
May 19, 2015 September Dee rated it really liked it
It's a cute book and makes a nice gift for a vegan friends. There are some useful travel tips and a few recipe ideas. These are useful if you are staying somewhere with a kitchenette. The appeal of the book is in the fun format I think much more than the actual content.
Melinda
Aug 27, 2015 Melinda rated it did not like it
This isn't a travel cookbook. The recipes in this book all need a kitchen with pots and pans in order to cook. I thought it was a cookbook that had recipes of things that could be made ahead of time or with the limited prep while traveling.
Katie Hood
Dec 19, 2011 Katie Hood rated it it was amazing
This is an outstanding book, with varying levels of recipes, simple to advanced. I forgot to bring it with me to the UK and I regretted it so much I almost bought a second copy!!!
Eli Warner
Mar 23, 2009 Eli Warner rated it it was amazing
awesome awesome awesome awesome. now i just need to go on a road trip and test it out.
love love love sarah kramer.
Charlotte
Nov 19, 2011 Charlotte rated it really liked it
Shelves: vegan
A great book with some delicious recipes which are usually so simple and quick! Just a few too many ingredients that are difficult to get hold of where I live.
Arsenal
Aug 25, 2008 Arsenal rated it it was amazing
It's not my review, but an interview with Sarah on the online crafy website, Snippets.

Marie
Oct 03, 2008 Marie rated it really liked it
Shelves: hbc-review-book
Cute with great recipes. I only wish there was more info on what to do when faced with only fast food choices. There was some, but I wanted more.
Ayush Tiwari
Ayush Tiwari rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2013
Cassandra Petronio
Cassandra Petronio rated it really liked it
May 07, 2009
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2013
Kathy P
Kathy P rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2013
Aliki Dyer
Aliki Dyer rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Orselle
Orselle rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2012
Prashanth Sai
Prashanth Sai rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2014
janet cross
janet cross rated it did not like it
Aug 12, 2016
Raghiatou Bah
Raghiatou Bah rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2017
Lexi
Lexi rated it it was ok
Nov 20, 2011
John Matthews
John Matthews rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2012
Sarah rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2015
Lizzi
Lizzi rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2016
marylyn overbaugh
marylyn overbaugh rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2016
  • The Asian Vegan Kitchen: Authentic and Appetizing Dishes from a Continent of Rich Flavors
  • The Garden of Vegan: How It All Vegan Again!
  • The Urban Vegan: 250 Simple, Sumptuous Recipes from Street Cart Favorites to Haute Cuisine
  • Vegan Express
  • 500 Vegan Recipes: An Amazing Variety of Delicious Recipes, From Chilis and Casseroles to Crumbles, Crisps, and Cookies (500 Cooking (Sellers))
  • My Sweet Vegan: passionate about dessert
  • Vegan Vittles: Recipes Inspired by the Critters of Farm Sanctuary
  • Soy, Not Oi!
  • Yellow Rose Recipes
  • Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food: 65 Everyday Meal Ideas for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner with Over 150 Great-Tasting, Down-Home Recipes
  • Color Me Vegan: Maximize Your Nutrient Intake and Optimize Your Health by Eating Antioxidant-Rich, Fiber-Packed, Color-Intense Meals That Taste Great
  • The Vegan Girl's Guide to Life: Cruelty-Free Crafts, Recipes, Beauty Secrets and More
  • Vegan Lunch Box Around the World: 125 Easy, International Lunches Kids and Grown-Ups Will Love!
  • Sticky Fingers' Sweets: 100 Super-Secret Vegan Recipes
  • Party Vegan
  • Vegan Italiano: Meat-free, Egg-free, Dairy-free Dishes from Sun-Drenched Italy
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • Vegan World Fusion Cuisine: Over 200 award-winning recipes
Sarah Kramer is the co-Author of "How it All Vegan!" and "The Garden of Vegan"; her first solo cookbook, La Dolce Vegan!", was published in 2005. She lives in Victoria, BC, with her husband where they own/operate the Tattoo Zoo. When she's not under the needle she's in her kitchen creating vegan masterpieces and maintaining her popular website, GoVegan.net.
More about Sarah Kramer...