Start by marking “MLA Style Manual and Guide to Scholarly Publishing” as Want to Read:
MLA Style Manual and Guide to Scholarly Publishing

MLA Style Manual and Guide to Scholarly Publishing

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Reorganized and revised, the third edition of the MLA Style Manual offers complete, up-to-date guidance on writing scholarly texts, documenting research sources, submitting manuscripts to publishers, and dealing with legal issues surrounding publication.
Published January 1st 2008 by Modern Language Association of America (first published January 1st 1985)

Be the first to ask a question about MLA Style Manual and Guide to Scholarly Publishing

Benjamin Davidson
Of all the books I've ever read, or ever expect to read, this is the one that most took me by surprise. I expected to treat this as a mere reference for college essay writing, but found myself returning to it for clarity on specific formatting a bibliographic details so frequently that I eventually sat down and read it cover to cover. The example content was itself interesting enough to keep me occupied, but reading the book completely gave me a much greater appreciation for the goals of the MLA ...more
Erik Graff
Jan 27, 2015 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: humanities professionals
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: reference
The first two parts of this manual, that on scholarly publishing and that on legal issues of scholarly publishing, are actually readable. The rest is best used as a reference for professionals in the humanities governed by Modern Language Association conventions. This is not a general style guide. Hold on to your high school grammar and style texts for that or purchase the University of Chicago Manual which is more extensive in its coverage of rules and conventions.
Peter Anderson
A good book for pedants like me :-)
Needs updating.
Chicago spoiled me I think. MLA has less than half the information Chicago does and it isn't as well organized. My boss and I spent half an hour trying to figure out a question about block quotes, and we ended up just following Chicago because MLA didn't tell us what to do. Lame.
Not that useful any more, but I can't seem to remove it from my reference shelf. I'd actually go on-line to the Purdue OWL Web site if I had a reference question these days.
A useful one to have close at hand. Though I don't have to look much up in it these days. Habit keeps it on my desk, I guess.
Indispensable. Also, great for procrastinating.
Nov 30, 2009 Kara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: help
English Reference
Goggie Layog
Goggie Layog marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
C marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
Eden Hulse-Bloom
Eden Hulse-Bloom marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Freema Telotoy
Freema Telotoy marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Marie is currently reading it
Aug 13, 2015
Jae Woo
Jae Woo marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
  • The Bedford Glossary of Critical and Literary Terms
  • The Virginia Woolf Writers' Workshop: Seven Lessons to Inspire Great Writing
  • The Critical Tradition: Classic Texts and Contemporary Trends
  • Write. 10 Days to Overcome Writer's Block. Period.
  • The Chicago Manual of Style
  • The King's English
  • The Fourth Genre: Contemporary Writers Of/On Creative Nonfiction
  • A Dictionary of Modern English Usage
  • Ron Carlson Writes a Story
  • Steering the Craft: Exercises and Discussions on Story Writing for the Lone Navigator or the Mutinous Crew
  • The Artful Edit: On the Practice of Editing Yourself
  • The Bedford Handbook
  • Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia
  • 501 German Verbs
  • The Fight for English: How Language Pundits Ate, Shot, and Left
  • Spunk & Bite: A Writer's Guide to Punchier, More Engaging Language & Style
  • Webster's New World Thesaurus
  • A Concise Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament
Modern Spanish: A Project of the Modern Language Association The Transcendentalists: A Review of Research and Criticism Profession 2000 The MLA Guide to the Job Search Publications of the Modern Language Association of America, Vol. 4 (Classic Reprint)