Start by marking “MLA Style Manual and Guide to Scholarly Publishing” as Want to Read:
MLA Style Manual and Guide to Scholarly Publishing

MLA Style Manual and Guide to Scholarly Publishing

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Reorganized and revised, the third edition of the MLA Style Manual offers complete, up-to-date guidance on writing scholarly texts, documenting research sources, submitting manuscripts to publishers, and dealing with legal issues surrounding publication.
Published January 1st 2008 by Modern Language Association of America (first published January 1st 1985)

Be the first to ask a question about MLA Style Manual and Guide to Scholarly Publishing

Benjamin Davidson
Of all the books I've ever read, or ever expect to read, this is the one that most took me by surprise. I expected to treat this as a mere reference for college essay writing, but found myself returning to it for clarity on specific formatting a bibliographic details so frequently that I eventually sat down and read it cover to cover. The example content was itself interesting enough to keep me occupied, but reading the book completely gave me a much greater appreciation for the goals of the MLA ...more
Erik Graff
Jan 27, 2015 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: humanities professionals
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: reference
The first two parts of this manual, that on scholarly publishing and that on legal issues of scholarly publishing, are actually readable. The rest is best used as a reference for professionals in the humanities governed by Modern Language Association conventions. This is not a general style guide. Hold on to your high school grammar and style texts for that or purchase the University of Chicago Manual which is more extensive in its coverage of rules and conventions.
Peter Anderson
A good book for pedants like me :-)
ػᶈᶏϾӗ
Needs updating.
kaitlyn
Chicago spoiled me I think. MLA has less than half the information Chicago does and it isn't as well organized. My boss and I spent half an hour trying to figure out a question about block quotes, and we ended up just following Chicago because MLA didn't tell us what to do. Lame.
Dora
Not that useful any more, but I can't seem to remove it from my reference shelf. I'd actually go on-line to the Purdue OWL Web site if I had a reference question these days.
Jenny
A useful one to have close at hand. Though I don't have to look much up in it these days. Habit keeps it on my desk, I guess.
Christina
Indispensable. Also, great for procrastinating.
Kara
D.A
D.A added it
Apr 18, 2015
Rebecca Kujawski
Rebecca Kujawski marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Rachel
Rachel added it
Apr 09, 2015
Matthew Walton
Matthew Walton marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Vijay Karan
Vijay Karan marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Zach Craig
Zach Craig marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Aimee
Aimee added it
Feb 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Bedford Glossary of Critical and Literary Terms
  • The Critical Tradition: Classic Texts and Contemporary Trends
  • Write. 10 Days to Overcome Writer's Block. Period.
  • The Chicago Manual of Style
  • The King's English
  • Ron Carlson Writes a Story
  • 501 Latin Verbs
  • Steering the Craft: Exercises and Discussions on Story Writing for the Lone Navigator or the Mutinous Crew
  • The Fourth Genre: Contemporary Writers Of/On Creative Nonfiction
  • The Bedford Handbook
  • Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia
  • The Fight for English: How Language Pundits Ate, Shot, and Left
  • Writing History: A Guide for Students
Modern Spanish: A Project of the Modern Language Association The Transcendentalists: A Review of Research and Criticism Profession 2000 The MLA Guide to the Job Search MLA Directory of Periodicals: A Guide to Journals and Series in Languages and Literatures: Periodicals Published in the Americas