Start by marking “Thomas More: A Biography” as Want to Read:
Thomas More: A Biography

Thomas More: A Biography

Over the centuries, biographers of Thomas More have always praised him and made him an example for their own times. He was a man for all seasons. This Tudor prelate and Lord Chancellor of England shared human qualities identifiable in all ages - pride, love, ambition, generosity, hypocrisy, and greed. He was less than common because he was witty and a great storyteller - t ...more
Published March 15th 1999 by Harvard University Press (first published March 15th 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Thomas More, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thomas More

Fiona
Mar 06, 2013 Fiona rated it it was amazing
Read in 2010. Detailed biography. The account of his relationship and intellectual arguments with Erasmus is particularly fascinating.
Czarny Pies
Mar 07, 2016 Czarny Pies rated it it was amazing
Shelves: european-history
Richard Marius’ biography is absolutely outstanding. Its strongest point is the way in which it analyzes More, the intellectual. It carefully reviews all More’s works but more importantly, it situates More’s writings in the historical context. It outlines the major theological and philosophical debates of the era showing where More fits in. In addition Marius' identifies the key issues on which More was close to Erasmus and Luther as well as those on which he differed.

Marius in his biography pro
Thomas R
Oct 05, 2013 Thomas R rated it liked it
I learned some interesting things from this book. If I recall correctly he indicates the vilification of Richard III kind of began with him. But unlike Shakespeare he didn't try to portray Henry VII as all that good. He kind of felt, if I'm remembering this right, that they were both kind of tyrannical. He also had quite the potty-mouth on him, which I hadn't known before college. But there are times I think the author almost wants this to be "The Story of England's Torquemada" and I don't think ...more
Webster Bull
Nov 22, 2016 Webster Bull marked it as to-read
Shelves: stalled
Am bogging down around 1515, in More’s midlife. Turns out we know preciously little about him until his very public martyrdom, the focus of “A Man for All Seasons.” But that didn’t happen until his final 5-6 years (1530–1535). So much of this very long book is informed speculation based on what was happening AROUND More in his earlier years. Like he was friends with Erasmus, but how good a friend?

I plod on. Thomas More remains one of my favorite saints and to this book’s credit it humanizes him
Steven
Jun 01, 2014 Steven rated it it was amazing
This remarkable biography examines Thomas More's complex personality and the characters that are part of his narrative. The author is a skilled writer. The book is great to read in order to see a master write the brilliant prose.The biography cannot be read quickly; it took me over a month of solid reading to get through the book and ponder what I had just read.
Toby
Apr 08, 2015 Toby rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
A good scholarly biography making substantial use of primary sources and doing a very good job in placing More in the context of his time. Not a teflon-coated saint by any means, but rather more complex than the dry and callous chancellor of Wolf Hall.
Mlg
Feb 26, 2009 Mlg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tudors
The best biography of Thomas More that I have ever read.
Martyr or zealot? The reader has to decide. How many people
would die for a belief now days?
Timothy
Apr 22, 2012 Timothy marked it as to-read
Shelves: history, biography
Haven't been able to finish the book, but I was required to read excerpts from it in a college class. This is the only time I have ever gone out and bought the book after a class. Richard Marius' writing is excellent and engaging. I truly intend to finish this someday for the sheer pleasure of it.
Richard
Jun 18, 2014 Richard rated it it was amazing
Shelves: project-2014

This was not a quick read, but it was an informative and enjoyable read. Marius not only reveals the man, he illuminates the times that form the web within which More lived. Read this book…it is a worthy endeavor for anyone wanting to learn a bit about Tudor England.

Scott
Feb 16, 2009 Scott rated it it was ok
got into watching Showtime's "The Tudors" on DVD, remembered I had this book somewhere in the house, and now I have to read it. UPDATE: Deeply researched & authoritative; tough, slow read.
Will
Jul 06, 2014 Will rated it it was ok
Recommended to Will by: wlinden2@verizon.net
Someone who has come to the shocking realization that More was not a twentieth century liberal (Gasp!).
Maggie
Jan 26, 2015 Maggie rated it really liked it
Surprised by the corruption in Henry VIII's court; and the incredible, horrible violence!! Henry and ISIS were/are head to head on violence and terror!!
Alan Johnson
Alan Johnson rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2015
Kevin
Kevin rated it liked it
May 20, 2014
Ruby
Ruby rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2010
Rose Ann
Rose Ann rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2014
Joe Valentine
Joe Valentine rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2013
Bobby Thym
Bobby Thym rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2011
Pam Fullem
Pam Fullem rated it really liked it
May 04, 2011
Anatole David
Anatole David rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2014
Kenneth
Kenneth rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2008
Jennings Peeler
Jennings Peeler rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2014
Annie Belanger
Annie Belanger rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Shawn Martin
Shawn Martin rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2009
Nina
Nina rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2014
Marianne
Marianne rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2015
Doug Irvine
Doug Irvine rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2014
Janette
Janette rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2009
Tonia
Tonia rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2017