Start by marking “First Impressions / Blithe Images” as Want to Read:
First Impressions / Blithe Images

First Impressions / Blithe Images

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  580 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Escaping the traps of gold-digging women, wealthy businessman Vance Banning moves to rural Maryland. All he wants is peace, quiet and to keep away from women. The last thing he needs is his sassy, sexy neighbor Shane Abbott. But he has no idea how determined Shane will be when it comes to giving a helping hand--or a loving heart.When small-town girl Hilary Baxter is offere ...more
Published September 23rd 2008 by Silhouette

To ask other readers questions about First Impressions / Blithe Images, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Impressions / Blithe Images

Carly Ellen Kramer
A cute story and entertaining read, but not one of my favorite Nora Roberts books. I know many readers think her earlier stories were better, but I disagree. I enjoyed some of her recent books more than some of her earlier stories (this book was written in '84, I believe).
Betsy
This was okay, but typical. The guy gets the girl; the girl gets the guy. The second story, Blithe Images, was better than the first. Although neither were earth shattering. Very much fiction, relationships don't happen like this in the real world.
Lindsay
First Impressions:
A very slow starting story. I didn't know if I was going to be able to get through it at first. However, there were a few unexpected and interesting plot turns towards the middle of the story. After that, the story went downhill again. The main conflict was obvious from the very beginning and nothing saved the story after that.

Blithe Images:
This story creeped me completely out and then just annoyed me. It felt like I was reading a romance novel from the 70s - you know the type,
CJ - So, you wanna play with magic?
I love Nora Roberts. I do, it's true, I say it loud and I say it proud.

The first story is classic Roberts. Flawed characters, a sense of betrayal, Alpha male, unassuming female, family conflict, plot twist, love at first sight, and an eventual happy ending.

It's a comfort book. You don't put much thought into it, you simply pick it up, read it and hope that your brain hasn't gained any weight with all of the saccharine that its just been subject to. No one writes cliche/obvious romance like Nora
Anne Holly
Pretty typical collection of "billionaire bags babe" stories. Not a bad time-killer if you're into that type of thing, but don't expect anything new. Neither has much tension - "Will the two incredibly lovely single people fall in love?" Cliche, I know, but I don't usually mind that. However, with these shorties, it's just a bit more forced than I normally want to see, I think.

The first story was better than the second, in my opinion; though the heroine was a bit of a lunatic, I did find she gre
Kelly Moran
This was 2 of her older contemporary romances combined. I liked them. Relatable and a quick fun read.
Krystie Park
This was my first Nora Roberts book, and to be honest, I'm not even remotely impressed.

The characters in both book are so bland and typical. Nothing about the characters made them likeable to me. At times, I even found myself DISliking the characters because they seemed so fake.

Another thing that bothered me about these novels is the male dominance. In my opinion, it seemed that the men always had the upper hand, and the women were told what to do, how to do it, and when to do it. For example,
Ruby Lee
I know that both of these stories are from the early 80's and they read like that.

First Impressions was a good story. It was sweet and a good read. The problem that I had was with Blithe Images and the way that it skirted around images of rape and sexual assault. He called her a tease when she won't have sex with him, became angry, and suggested that he wasn't above forcing the issue when it was something that he wanted. This is not romantic or fun. Love is not having a guy want you so much tha
Sloane
Not as good as some of Roberts' novels, but I enjoyed First Impressions and the Vance and Shane characters, as well as some of the peripheral ones.
Denise
This is a dual book-two separate stories. I really enjoyed First Impressions, but did not care AT ALL for Blithe Images. It was just too Harlequin for me. Love most of what Nora Roberts writes, but not this time.
Beabe
Wow. The cover on this book is completely deceptive, and that's just the beginning of the problem. Both these stories are republished from the early 1980's. First Impressions I liked, Blithe Images was horribly dated, and I hated the "hero" of the story. Blithe Images was published in 1981, and should hae stayed there. Discos, cigarette smoking (ugh), typewriter images, are just part of the jarring parts of this book. Spoiler alert: and don't get me started on sleeping with one woman while pursu ...more
Kristin Zimmerman
Pretty slow to get started but overall good. Very typical romance. Blithe images was better.
Joanne
This book had two romance stories in it. Personally, after all the holiday rush and declining economy it was just nice to read of sweet love.

Of the two stories, I liked First Impressions more. The characters seemed more real and not as perfect as in Blithe Images (the model and mega-publisher). Nora Roberts added a little out of sorts character in Shane's mother in First Impressions and I was surprised such a vicious character reared her ugly head! Her role was limited, but she was rememberable
Shirl
Both stories were good and very readable.
Kathy
I love Nora Roberts, and these two books seemed like classic NR books. It was very interesting to see how different romance heroes used to be in the early 80s compared to more modern ones: one thing that sticks in my mind is that Bret, the hero of "Blithe Images", calls Hilary a tease for not putting out. It's also funny to read about characters relaxing with a cigarette.

I'm so glad that Silhouette is reprinting Nora Roberts's older titles, and I'm looking forward to reading them all.
Melody
The first story in the book was called "First Impressions", I liked it, it was a nice, sweet romance, with a touch of Christmas. The second story was called " Blithe Images"it wasn't as good as the first one, but still like the first one, it was a quick holiday read.
Mcfree
Oct 01, 2014 Mcfree marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the first story, but the relationship between the overbearing hero and the ingenue creeped me out.
Darlene Roy
Enjoyed both stories in this book. I liked First Impressions better than Blithe Images. It was a quick read and great to take down to the pool and read. I would recommend this as a good read.
Brittany
The perfect "comfort" book after a long day. Wrap up in your robe (if you have one, or a blanket will do) have the coffee close (or in my case, iced tea) and escape for a bit.
Cathie
These are by far the most bland Nora Roberts books I have read.
I kept thinking that I would care about these people eventually. Didn't happen.
Robin Anne
Fair. Read this while at the air port waiting for my flight. Typical boy falls for girl and vice-versa in both stories. Great for a quick read.
Nicole
It was slow to start I did like the stories how ever I did out it down for while case i got board with it but finished it.
Stephanie
first impressions I enjoyed. didn't take long to read... but I can't seem to get into blithe images.
Diane Felci
Stories about beautiful, rich people meeting and falling in love. A fairy tale.
Nikki
Another good series by Nora Roberts! I enjoyed all three of the stories!
Amanda Lewis
It's a fun, quick read. Not one of her best, but I would read it again.
Amelia Elizabeth
First Iimpressions - 4 stars
Blithe Images - 3 stars
rivka
3 stars for First Impressions; 2 stars for Blithe Images
Nath
First Impressions: 3/5 (C)
Blithe Image: 2/5 (D)
Kathleen S
enjoyable book...I like all of Nora Roberts books
  • The Mammoth Book of 20th Century Ghost Stories
  • When You Wish
  • The Christmas Brides: A McKettrick Christmas\A Creed Country Christmas (McKettricks, #10; Montana Creeds, #4)
  • A Season of Miracles
  • Angels at Christmas: Those Christmas Angels / Where Angels Go
  • Smokin' Six-Shooter (Whitehorse, Montana: The Corbetts #4)
  • Tough Enough: The Cowboy & The Cougar & Odd Man Out
  • The Braddock Boys: Colton (Braddock Boys, #4) (Love At First Bite, #7)
  • Pandora's Box (Pandora, #1)
  • For All Their Lives
  • Breaking Yawn: The Second Book in the Twishite Saga: A Parody (Twishite Saga, #2)
  • NASCAR Holiday 2: Miracle Season/Season of Dreams/Taking Control/The Natural
  • Once Upon a Christmas: The Most Wonderful Time of the Year/'Twas the Week Before Christmas
  • Passion and Peril: Scenes of Passion\Scenes of Peril
  • So This Is Christmas (Includes: The Protectors, #19)
aka
Jill March
J.D. Robb
Sarah Hardesty

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, USA. She was the youngest of five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline. During her
More about Nora Roberts...