Start by marking “Siren's Feast: An Edible Odyssey” as Want to Read:
Siren's Feast: An Edible Odyssey

Siren's Feast: An Edible Odyssey

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Set against the backdrop of the late '60s and early '70s, Nancy Mehagian's delicious memoir tells the tale of a young woman who heeded the siren's call to a life of freedom and romance. A first-generation Armenian American whose family narrowly escaped genocide, the rebellious daughter left behind the safety and security of suburban life for an unforgettable adventure that ...more
Published April 22nd 2008 by Cielo Press

To ask other readers questions about Siren's Feast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Siren's Feast

Mona
Dec 29, 2010 Mona added it
Loved it. The author lived the kind of life in the 60's and 70's that I dreamed of. Life in Europe, following her heart, and ended up in prison, simply by making a wrong decision. Love that the book is sprinkled with awesome vegeterian recipes...... and love that I have been geting to "know" the author through our passion for birth !
Maria (Ri)
My review for Armchair Interviews:

Siren's Feast by Nancy Mehagian reads like a luscious novel, full of tempting food, wild relationships and globe-trotting adventures. That she can pack so much living into a few short years is a real testament to the high living late `60s and early `70s, as well as to her enormous spirit.

From the opening of the memoir, Nancy is clearly a feisty girl bound for a life of pushing the limits. Born into a traditional Armenian family, she is expected to be a quiet and
Madge
After meeting Nancy I ordered this book only knowing she spent time in prison with her baby. Wow what an adventurous spirit. I loved her stories and her recipes and all her travels to countries I have never visited. It was a true hippie adventure of wanderlust which led to amazing stories and also prison.
Amy
Nancy Mehagian's life as explorer, adventurer, chef, restaurateur, single mom, masseuse to the stars, inmate...the woman has done it all, and lived to tell the tales. A beautiful and fun and adventurous read.
Mehreen
I got this book as a First Read from Good Reads and I was so excited when I won! Unfortunately, I was disappointed. The book was ok, not a page turner for me. I suppose as I was reading it, I was just shocked. I was looking forward to the book because I thought it would be something I could relate to, but I found myself relating more to Nancy's parents!

While the food was delectable, the story was more of a cautionary tale of what I hope my daughter will never do. While Nancy lived an exciting li
Shelly
I'm not going to say this was the best book ever written. But it is a fascinating look into the late 60s early 70s of a certain free spirited lifestyle. I think it will ultimately make a good book to discuss in book group. The journey of the privileged daughter through her spiritual quest and eventual return to her roots is a timeless quest. There are plenty of drugs sex and vegetarian recipes to add an interesting angle.
Vicki
Similar to Eat, Pray, Love but not with the self-help angle. Set in the 70's with all the vices of that era. Easy read; fascinating life story!
Kira
A delicious tale, I was happy to let it feed my hungry mind, and stomach! The recipes are fantastic, as is the story itself. I find myself going back to reread bits of the story, as well as going to study the different dishes it explores.
Molly Hansen
Apr 08, 2010 Molly Hansen marked it as to-read
I have not yet read this book, but thoroughly enjoyed the chapters that were read, and the dishes that were served, at the author's "book reading" party.
Julie
Mar 27, 2009 Julie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Julie by: Nancy Mehagian
Read my review at www.molcotw.blogspot.com
Jan Bonjovio
Jan Bonjovio marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Rachella Baker
Rachella Baker marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Andrew Schirmer
Andrew Schirmer marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Maral
Maral marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
Sarah added it
Jan 16, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2013
Linda added it
Jun 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
261967
A friend once called me the Picasso of the potato. I'm a first generation Armenian American whose family narrowly escaped genocide. I left the security of suburban American life to wander the globe and in 1969 established the first vegetarian restaurant on the magical island of Ibiza. After a stint dancing cabaret in Syria, I was incarcerated in an infamous London prison, along with my newborn bab ...more
More about Nancy Mehagian...
The Supernatural Kids Cookbook The Oprah Effect The Supernatural Kids Cookbook: Haile's Favorites (The Supernatural Kids Cookbook Series) The Supernatural Kids Cookbook Super Special 11/11/11 Edition 25 Lessons: What We Learned from Oprah