Start by marking “Polo: The Runaway Book” as Want to Read:
Polo: The Runaway Book

Polo: The Runaway Book

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  134 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Here's a new volume every bit as charming and as mesmerizing as its companion, The Adventures of Polo. When the resourceful dog sets aside his brand-new book and drifts off to sleep, a curious little creature makes off with it. Polo follows in hot pursuit, setting the stage for a new series of adventures--into the sky, to a mysterious cloud made of cotton candy, through fu ...more
Published January 9th 2007 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Polo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Polo

Go, Dog. Go! by P.D. EastmanDoc Tails by Othen Donald Dale CummingsThe Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring LowreyHarry the Dirty Dog by Gene ZionClifford the Big Red Dog by Norman Bridwell
Picture Books About Dogs
188th out of 227 books — 108 voters
If You Give a Pig a Pancake by Laura Joffe NumeroffThe True Story of the 3 Little Pigs by Jon ScieszkaOlivia by Ian FalconerThe Three Pigs by David WiesnerMoo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra Boynton
Picture Books About Pigs
90th out of 140 books — 81 voters

More lists with this book...

Avrelia
Dec 06, 2010 Avrelia rated it it was amazing
We found these books about Polo at the local library and fell in love with them - my 3-year old son and I. This is the ultimate picture book - no words (almost), just pictures telling a hilarious whimsical story about adventures of Polo who goes in search of his missing book and finds lots of friends on the way. The story seems like a dream - Polo climbs a rope to the sky and ends up in a pink cotton candy mountain, but that's just how his Universe works - all wonders are totally normal. And my ...more
Amy Adams
Mar 26, 2014 Amy Adams rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
The first things I always look at when it comes to kid's books are the illustrations. When a book is nothing but illustration, it has to be pretty captivating to draw me in, hold my attention, and garner my enjoyment. This book takes you on an interesting, exciting, and emotional journey. With the main character, you climb up to the stars, you see a land made of cotton candy, you meet new friends, and, most importantly, you find your book!
My favorite character is the little thief. He expresses
NS-Christine Johnson
Oct 21, 2009 NS-Christine Johnson rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is a wordless picture book about a dog named Polo. Polo is excited about the new book he received as a gift! He spends some time reading before bed, and then falls fast asleep. Polo wakes up to find a little creature has stolen his book and climbed out the window. Polo follows the creature and climbs high into the sky. He tumbles into a world made of cotton candy! Polo continues on in this new world, searching for the creature that stole his book! He meets many characters along the way, and ...more
Rebecca
Aug 10, 2007 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those who like to make up their own words
Here's another fun wordless picture book in a longer, comic-type format. French pooch Polo lives in a tree on an island and falls asleep reading a book, which is so good that a tiny alien steals it in the dead of night and Polo must give chase.

Although Polo only says two words in this story, he learns a lot:

1) Anything you need is in your knapsack, from a ladder to a tuba.

2) When climbing a giant beanstalk, watch out for the even bigger dandelion puff at the top.

3) If trapped in a cloud prison
jacky
Aug 21, 2015 jacky rated it really liked it
A great, long wordless graphic novel for kids. Tons of surreal twists. I had lots of fun shouting things like "he's getting away." Great book for non-readers to read alone.
Debby Baumgartner
Polo has an adventure as he tries to find his stolen book.
Laura5
Dec 12, 2011 Laura5 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully fanciful wordless adventure.

Fans of wordless stories like Owly, Volume 1: The Way Home & The Bittersweet Summer or magical adventures like Harold and the Purple Crayon will be enchanted.

Oct 02, 2010 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
The Polo books are excellent! There are no words, just multiple small comic panels on each page. Each small panel progresses the story. The 3.5 and 6.5 year old really like looking at all of the small parts of the story on the page and making up their own narrative along the way. The colors are bright and the panels un-busy, so it's easy for the kids to tell an intricate or simpler story along with, depending on age.
Anna
Oct 31, 2008 Anna rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Carrie, you won't believe it, it's really a comic book for kids, and it's Paige and Harper's new favorite, keeps them each enteratined for about 15 minutes, which is pretty much unheard of. And they fight over it.

While it's not my favorite to read to them because it's so long, they really like the pictures and story, and that it doesn't have very many words.

I wonder if Sammy and Owen will be allowed to read it?
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
I'm not sure about this. The concept is cute, but I'm not sure who it is aimed at. A glowing yellow alien sneaks down and pinches Polo's book that he is reading. Polo launches on a chase to get it back. It's quite long at 75 pages, I thought they could have cut out a couple of the scenarios and shortened it a bit. Clever illustrations, with good segues between the different places they go.
Mary
Dec 15, 2011 Mary rated it liked it
Shelves: wordless
Polo, the dog, is very excited to get his new book. He falls asleep reading it one night when a creature like a sphere of light takes it from him. Polo chases him through different worlds to get his book back. A longer wordless (except for "My book!") book for preschool-4th grade students.
Katrina Sutton
Oct 15, 2012 Katrina Sutton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bedtime-stories
My youngest child fell in love with this book. There is maybe three words in the whole story but I emphasized describing what happening from picture to picture. My son got mad at my husband who refused to do what I did one night I wasn't able to read it to him. The pictures say it all.
Alia
Sep 20, 2007 Alia rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, gf
This wordless story about a dog named Polo and his search for a stolen book is beautifully illustrated. The pages are set up in comic format so that the action is easy to follow. It's almost more graphic novel than picture book. But lovely, lovely, lovely all the same.
Katie Bruce
Apr 25, 2011 Katie Bruce rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! I especially liked how there were references to other children's books/stories--Harold & the Purple Crayon, Jack & the Beanstalk, Alice in Wonderland (?)--peppered throughout. Will have to go back and read the original Polo now! :-)
MissInformation
Jul 14, 2009 MissInformation rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Simple and adventure-packed wordless picture book. When little dog's beloved book is stolen by a little creature, he follows it. He travels through all kinds of fantastic worlds while chasing the creature- finally learning the purpose of the theft.
Lauren
May 03, 2013 Lauren rated it really liked it
Cool blend of picture book and comic -- long (76 pages) but virtually wordless. Bright, engaging illustrations; a whimsical adventure to all kinds of faraway lands.
Meredith
Feb 25, 2009 Meredith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Another book about Polo. I might even have liked it better than the first. Still super cute, and funny. I would definitely enjoy more adventures with Polo.
Lindsey
Jun 18, 2013 Lindsey rated it really liked it
Polo continues his wacky adventures from water to space chasing a little critter that looks like a pea with legs who's stolen his book.
Guen
I love many of the polo books. This one is not my favorite.
Carmine
Mar 22, 2012 Carmine rated it it was amazing
We both love the Polo books. My daughter will sit and 'read' them on her own, but also likes to choose them for a read together.
Rebecca Putnam-Dudley
This book has no words in it at all which is why we love it so much. Every time we read it it's a whole new story
Jess
Apr 17, 2008 Jess rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrensbooks
just as well-done as the first polo book. wordless picture book that does an excellent job of telling a story.
Elizabeth
Jul 29, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
Gracie LOVED this. She has a little graphic novel streak in her, I think. 5 for her, 3 for me = 4 overall : )
Molly
Sep 12, 2007 Molly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
No words, but no words were needed. I think it's French. Excellent illustrations. Cute ending.
Damian
Apr 01, 2008 Damian rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful, wordless children's book. Get it, you won't regret it.
Corinne
Mar 28, 2010 Corinne rated it really liked it
No words, very inventive storylines. The kids love "reading' these books.
Misty
May 07, 2008 Misty rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-for-boys
Just as cute as the first book!
M.
Nov 12, 2012 M. rated it it was amazing
Hooray for Imagination!
Alicia
Mar 06, 2009 Alicia rated it liked it
Dug the elephant harem girls.
Julie
Very enjoyable. Wide appeal.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »