Start by marking “East of the Sun and West of the Moon” as Want to Read:
East of the Sun and West of the Moon

East of the Sun and West of the Moon

In this beautiful retelling of a classic Scandinavian fairy tale, a poor farmer gives his youngest daughter to a bear in return for the promise of riches. But the girl does not know the bear is bewitched and it is within her power to change his life. So she unknowingly changes his fortune, and destines him to an unhappy life in a castle east of the sun and west of the ...more
33 pages
Published 1980 by Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, Publishers

To ask other readers questions about East of the Sun and West of the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about East of the Sun and West of the Moon

Andromeda
Oct 05, 2016 Andromeda rated it liked it
Yo siempre recodaré este cuento así:
Cuando llega un oso blanco a tu casa, te pide a tu hija, y tú se la entregas sin rechistar

Al este de Sol y al Oeste de la Luna es un cuento noruego bastante bonito, algo cursi, pero servirá para contarselo a mis futuros hijos,eso sí tengo.
Me interesó el cuento porque está basado en el mito de Psique y Eros, y además porque estoy leyendo este libro East que no me gusta mucho porque la protagonista es demasiado perfecta; sin embargo al leer este cuento, veo que
A B
Dec 28, 2014 A B rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful retelling of a classic fairy tale. It would make a lovely gift for your little princess.

My only complaint, and it's quite minor, is that I was not as impressed by the illustrations as I had hoped I would be. Based on other reviews, this certainly puts me in a minority. For such a rich tale with lots of imagery, the illustrations are pretty bland and a few were downright creepy. Also, why does the prince appear to be wearing a woman's nightgown? Like I said, small complaint.
Children's Literature Project
Classic Norse fairy tale of castles and trolls. This is different than the standard accepted fairy tale as the heroine must save the hero. She is not a weak female lead. The young girl is sent to a far awy kingdom to marry a prince. However the Prince's kingdom is under a spell. The girl must travel to other lands in order to break the spell and save the Prince's kingdom. The grade level is acceptable for Kindergarten - 3 and lexile measure is 920L.
Layla
Jul 23, 2008 Layla rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books from childhood--important to have this version for the illustrations--and I read it again recently while thinking of Italo Calvino's take on compression and repetition in folktales. Also the object as a means to move the narrative forward through time. But now I can't stop thinking about Gretchen Mazur's lecture on Forbidden Looking...I'm cursed. Or enchanted.
Erica Blake
Sep 26, 2014 Erica Blake rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite books as a child. My grandmother always gave me books illustrated by Michael Hague and this is one of his finest.
Christina (Boupie)
Really cute fairytales that I am unfamiliar with (though they do bare some resemblance to French, Italian, and British ones). Fun for kids.
Kara
Aug 10, 2016 Kara rated it it was ok

The text is wordy and awkwardly stripped of all mature content and the illustrations had great backgrounds but stiff figures with a bad CGI feel to them that are off putting.
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2013
Kaylie
Kaylie rated it did not like it
Apr 10, 2014
Meghann Jaquette
Meghann Jaquette rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2014
Penelope
Penelope rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2013
Linz
Linz rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2011
Maria
Maria rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2011
Frida Solheim
Frida Solheim rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2013
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2008
Stephanie (Bookfever.♥)
Stephanie (Bookfever.♥) rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2013
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2013
Maryjane Guerrero
Maryjane Guerrero rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016
Sharon
Sharon rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2009
Brently
Brently rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2012
Christopher Lange
Christopher Lange rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2012
Lili
Lili rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2011
OAV401
OAV401 rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2008
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2008
Emily Sprouse
Emily Sprouse rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2012
Rachel
Apr 10, 2009 Rachel rated it really liked it
Very nice.
Ariel On
Ariel On rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2013
Jacqueline
Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2012
Canadian Reader
Canadian Reader rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2011
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2014