Start by marking “That's Not My Monkey...” as Want to Read:
That's Not My Monkey...

That's Not My Monkey...

This delightful series of board books is aimed at very young children. The bright pictures, with their patches of different textures, are designed to develop sensory and language awareness. Babies and toddlers will love turning the pages and touching the feely patches.
Board Book, 10 pages
Published June 1st 2008 by Usborne Books (first published May 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about That's Not My Monkey..., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That's Not My Monkey...

Joanna
Dec 08, 2010 Joanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: 100-books-2010
Philip
Apes are not monkeys, yet both a gorilla and an orangutan are described here as "not my monkey".

The mouse narrator's lamentable grasp of biological classification is demonstrated equally in That's Not My Dinosaur when identifying both a prehistoric marine reptile and a pterosaur as "not my dinosaur".

From a taxonomical point of view, disappointing.
Tom
Apr 12, 2012 Tom rated it it was amazing
That's Not My Monkey. The narrator's patience and determination to find the right monkey is a existential quest for being/Dasein. Monkeys are societal responsibilities that are flung about incessantly with haste and disregard. It is crucial to not accept every monkey that They (mainstream popular culture) fling at you, and it is laudable that this book highlights the importance of patient discernment and the unique fate of MY monkey.

This book teaches that when you go into a corporate workplace,
Slayermel
Jun 26, 2014 Slayermel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents of babies and Toddlers
This is another very cute touch and feel book. The story is about someone trying to find their monkey and all the ones he seems to come across are not his.

The textures used in this series of books are by far some of the better ones I've seen. They did a fantastic job with them. My daughter loves to pet all the monkeys and explore the textures. The book is also very bright and colourful which is very eye catching.
Renee
Mar 19, 2017 Renee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
These books are some of my 2 year olds favorites. We have the dragon and the monster one as well. I've read them over and over.
Jocelin
Another cute entry in the "That's Not My" series.
Jesi Rose
Jan 14, 2017 Jesi Rose rated it it was amazing
One of our little girl's very first books. She loved it at 6 months and still enjoys the Usborne touchy-feely books even now at 2.5. I think being able to interact with the pictures with her hands generated a true love for and curiosity about books of all kinds. A wonderful series to start kids down the road to reading for life.
Alex
Oct 13, 2015 Alex rated it liked it
A white mouse looking for is monkey. The way it knows if it's his monkey or not, is by "touching and feeling" some of the monkey's body parts. Eyebrows, feet, tummy...

The story starts on the cover, indicating the type of the book straight away. Touch and feel.
The drawings are just ok and serve there purpose. Some of the "wrong" monkeys are not monkeys at all! Noe even the lost monkey is a monkey. It's an orangutan!

Anyway, the 11th month old girl review follows:
"Didn't like the story in the begin
Alison Aldridge
Nov 07, 2014 Alison Aldridge rated it it was amazing
Shelves: toddler-books
My friend used these books for her three children (1 boy and 2 twin girls). Then she passed them on for my son to enjoy.

He loves them we have the lion, kitten and puppy one.

The feely pages not only make the story interactive but it also makes the pages easier to open. My son will often play with his books, opening the pages and feeling the part that has a different texture. We have one of these as a first story to settle down before bed. He also often reaches for them during the day to explore
ReadingJungle.com
Mar 04, 2009 ReadingJungle.com rated it really liked it
That's Not My Monkey, the appealing book written by Fiona Watt and colorfully illustrated by Rachel Wells, has emphasis on sensory development by touching and feeling various textures. Young readers will touch monkey parts such as a velvety tail, smooth feet, hairy eyebrows, and a fuzzy tongue. None of these traits belong to the proper monkey so the search continues. Is the monkey ever found? You will have to read the book to find out! Check out the entire review on Reading Jungle and also look ...more
Gina Venugopal
Jun 13, 2015 Gina Venugopal rated it really liked it
A simple though lovely sensory book that is ideal for babies and toodlers as well as SEN children. The bright illustartions and repetitive text make a lovely book to follow and keep the young reader engaged. It may also be used for partially sighted chidlren who will appreciate the differernt textures on parts of the animals in the book on a journey to find the monkey.
Joanna
Dec 06, 2015 Joanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
We LOVE monkeys! By the third time through this, Cameron was laughing like crazy. He enjoyed looking at the monkeys but I still couldn't get him to feel the different textures-- we'll keep working on that!
Caity
May 29, 2016 Caity rated it it was amazing
The That's Not My series is really fun and adorable. The board books feature different textures that correspond with the illustrations. They are pretty short stories but are great fun for reading to little ones.
Carrie
May 19, 2008 Carrie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with toddlers
Another Chloe favorite. She loves the colors, and the touchy-feely aspect of these wonderful books. It makes it hard for me to not buy more. I guess it's a good thing I joined the Usborne book of the month club, lol.
Katie
Sep 11, 2016 Katie rated it really liked it
Like all children's books I share it has to be read more than a dozen times.
14 months to 3 are equally happy to sit, touch the pages and read again again.
Lindsey (RiverPlate / addicted2whimsy)
Sep 24, 2010 Lindsey (RiverPlate / addicted2whimsy) rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: babies and toddlers
Shelves: books-for-kiddos
My daughter is just crazy about books that she can feel and touch, and monkeys are a favorite animal. This series is great for all of the different textures in the books.
Kristin Fletcher-spear
read at baby time. great textures and different monkeys. great dialogue between Charlie and myself about the monkeys and Emma likes the textures.
Anastasia Tuckness
Ever popular book series delights kids with the touch parts and teachers with the great vocabulary words!
Madeleine.fowlerhotmail.com
Jun 06, 2014 Madeleine.fowlerhotmail.com rated it it was amazing
my one year old absolutely loves this book. He finds is hilarious.

Not my usual genre, but good all the same!
Rhonda
Rhonda rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2013
JoLee Marker
JoLee Marker rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2015
Nadine
Nadine rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2015
Amanda Clark
Amanda Clark rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2014
Alissa
Alissa rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2012
Malia
Malia rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2016
Leisl
Leisl rated it really liked it
May 30, 2015
Caroline
Caroline rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2010
Thomas Donaldson
Thomas Donaldson rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2009
Penny
Penny rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2014
Kim G Hauriel
Kim G Hauriel rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Little Pookie
  • Tubby (Leslie Patricelli board books)
  • Llama Llama Wakey-Wake
  • Duck & Goose, Goose Needs a Hug
  • Roadwork
  • Ten In The Bed
  • Oops! (A Diaper David Book)
  • Bright Baby First Words
  • Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star
  • You Are My Sunshine
  • Charley Harper ABCs: Chunky Edition
  • Belinda the Ballerina
  • Time for a Hug
  • Peek-a-Baby: A Lift-the-Flap Book
Fiona Watt graduated from Exeter University with a B.Ed. (Hons.), specialising in Psychology and Art and Design. After university she worked as a researcher and writer for a company which published educational material for places where children went on school visits (zoos, museums, stately homes etc). She then taught seven, eight, and nine year olds for five years; three years at a state school in ...more
More about Fiona Watt...