Start by marking “The Penny Pot” as Want to Read:
The Penny Pot

The Penny Pot (MathStart: Level 3)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  64 reviews
Stuart J. Murphy travels all over the United States talking to thousands of kids. And you'll never believe what they talk about: MATH! Stuart shows kids that they use math every day -- to share a pizza, spend their allowance, and even sort socks. Stuart writes funny stories about math -- andif you read his books, you'll start to see the fun in math, too.
Published August 8th 1998 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Penny Pot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Penny Pot

Inna Nako
-a girl wants to get her face painted, but she doesnt have enough money
-but the solution is that people that have extra pennies would put them in the penny jar
-finally, the girl had enough money by adding the pennies and extra change to what she originally had
-this would be a great follow along where the kids would have their own money manipulatives and would follow with the book
-great book to show addition and subtraction with dimes, nickels, and pennies
-it would be very fun to have a penny ja
Mary Conroy
I purchased The Penny Pot this past semester and used it for several math lessons. I highly recommend this book for late first, second, and third grade students. It is great for interactive money lessons. Students get practice adding and subtracting money, and identifying the value of coins. They also get to practice trading coins. The story is fun as well, with colorful and cute illustrations. The story can be stretch for almost an entire math lesson about money. I had my students come to the w ...more
Esther
The Penny Pot is a great book when you want to do a math lesson about counting money, and making trades! Jess wants to get her face painted but it costs 50 cents and she only has 39. The artist reassures her that people may have money left over and when they do, they'll drop it into the penny pot for Jessie to contribute towards her 39 cents.

-displays coins in the pages, showing their worth
-creates problems to add up different amounts, and proposing how much someone has left over, how much more
Betty Kim
'The penny pot' is an excellent book for teaching counting coins. In this book, the main character Jessie wants to get a face painting which cost 50 cents. However, she only has 39 cents left because she just bought the ice-cream. Jessie is waiting for customers who will put the extra pennies in the penny pot. Finally, Jessie got enough money and gets a face painting. The teacher can use model coins to demonstrate or act it out for students' a better understanding.
Ali Hembree
Jessie wants to get her face painted but after she spends some money on an ice cream, she only has 39 cents left. It takes 50 cents to get your face painted to she has to wait for more money to come to the penny jar at the center.

This book is an adventure of counting money and problem solving. Perfect for grades K-2nd grades, this book will teach kids how to count money and how to start to save for the things you really want.
Michelle King
The Penny Pot is an excellent book to combine Literacy and Math in the classroom. I used this book to introduce my coin counting lesson in my 1st grade feild placement class. The book is about a girl wanting to get her face painted at the fair. She only has 39 cents and the face painting cost 50 cents. Read on to see how she gets the additional 11 cents.....Awesome book!
Marie
Nothing extraordinary about the plot, but this book--if read when your child is learning the values of the coins, addition, and numbers up to 100--can be a good math tool. It's more pleasurable than other math picture books I've picked up.
Emily Miller
This is a great nonfiction book to use in an early elementary classroom when learning about money and counting money. The story is about an art teacher who has a face painting booth at the school fair. She charges 50 cents for children to get their face painted. Throughout the story the reader is asked to help count money children are giving her to get their face painted. Any extra change goes into the penny pot. This story is interactive and realistic which help a young child relate to it.
Johna Brown
Jessie, the main character, would like to get her face painted at the school fair but does not have enough money. Luckily, there is a penny pot where students put their extra pennies. Counting the money in the pot is a part of the story. This story could be used for counting money as well as predicting. As a teacher, I would use this story to teach students how to make predictions. I would demonstrate this by reading the title and making a prediction about the book based on the front cover. I wo ...more
Dolly
May 25, 2012 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining and educational story about money in the MathStart series by Stuart J. Murphy. It helps children learn to count and recognize different denominations of coins, but it also teaches about making wise choices with our money.

The illustrations are colorful and entertaining and our girls had fun describing how they would want their face painted. We also discussed how different places can charge varied amounts for face painting (Sometimes it's free. This was a school fair, so i
Maleigha
Great for students up until the 3rd grade. A fun story that students can follow along with as you read and learn about money. Jessie, the main character, would like to participate in getting her face painted and the school fair but does not have enough money. Fortunately, there is a penny pot where students put their extra pennies. As Jessie sits down, the reader can't help but count with her as change gets placed in the penny jar. This is great for practicing money skills, you may even provide ...more
Kalisha Mohammed
I will introduce the book to the students. I will divide my students into groups by the characters in the story. There will be a group for: Miguel,Sam,Jonathan,and Annie. I will instruct the students to listen for their character as I read the book and write down how much money he/she had for the face painting. Also, they will write down how much extra money each person had after they got their faces painted. We will add it up before the story reveals the amount left for Jessie.
Kelli Bratten
I absolutely love these math start books! The authors make the stories readable and integrate math in a way that the students and teacher can problem solve using the skills that they have learned. I would try to give each student the coins that the girl in the story have so they can follow along. I would also like to have the students come up and put the money in a pot while we read along with the story. They would write number sentences to go along with what was read in the book.
Yadira
What a great book to help children practice counting money. This book tells the story of a young girl who wants to get her face painted but doesn't have enough money. As people come to get their face painted they leave their extra pennies in the penny pot. This book can be used to do a lesson on counting money and finding out how much money is needed to make a certain amount. Once the book is ready children can use school money to work out some math problems.
Chanelle
This book is great for learning combinations of 50 cents and trading. I liked how each child had to put their left overs after buying something at the carnival so that someone else had the opportunity to participate at the carnival. You could have a carnival with games that students could play that would cost a specific amount. Each student would put their left overs in the classroom jar and at the end the class could count how much they collected.
Irina
In this book, Jessie doesn't have enough money to get her face painted. (She has .39 cents but needs .50 cents)The art teacher tells her that she can wait and see if there will be enough money in the penny pot to add to her .39 cents. This book is a great book when teaching about counting coins; it can be used as a guide for an activity where students use fake money and buy things. (They can also have a penny pot!)
Megan Willis
This cute story about counting pennies would be great to start out a classroom activity where students can "shop around" the class to get their faces painted and other carnival activities. Each shopping station would cost a specific amount of money and we would record all the different ways that students make up the amount required. Money is the most relevant math concept; you can't have too much practice!
Sabrina
Economics: price Grade 1-3

The books is a cute story about a girl who wants an ice cream but did not have enough money to purchase one. Other children donate their extra change to a pot and at the end the girl collects enough money for an ice cream. Great economcis lesson on price and the cost of things. This book could also be used in mathematics to count money or foucs on value of money.
Jackie
Provides students with practice in counting money (specifically coins). I would use it as a whole class read aloud, or with a small group who needed remediation counting coins. For an extension, the teacher could pose problems about trading smaller coins for larger ones. Students could also construct a diagram of the various ways to make fifty cents from a combination of coins. (K-3)
Quynh Le
This book has nice pictures for students to look at and can go along with a lesson on money. Students can go along with the story and create the amount in the book with their own money manipulative, to aid their money counting skill. I also liked the resource page at the end which offered more activities for kids and adults to have fun with money, such as 'make believe shopping.'
Chelsea Bucci
2nd Grade level MathStart book. This book is very interactive for the reader(s). It allows students to count out the money shown in the pictures. It would best be read on a lesson regarding money. As an extension, the students could show the amounts of money on each page with real money. Therefore, they would be doing the math along with the characters in the book.
Heather
This is a level 3 book. My littler guys didn't much care for it, but the big guys liked it. This does not teach coin recognition or value. You would need to know that beforehand. This is good though as a supplemental activity once they do know how to count coins.

I think this is a good choice for review or just to help cement the money concept.
Devan Watson
This book is a great book that you can use several times throughout the year to remind kids of the practical nature of math, and to show them how they already use math in their everyday lives. Since there are different stories that illustrate how a particular math skill is used, you could read one story or read the entire book/series.
Evelyn
The Penny Pot by Stuart J. Murphy is a great book that can be used to teach students about money and coins. It can also teach students how to accurately exchange currency. The book uses accurate pictures of coins to help students remember what each coin looks like. This book can be used to teach students in 1-3 grade.

Lisa
I used this book in a math lesson that deals with money. I created a store and gave the students an amount of money. They had to figure out what they could buy with the money by comparing prices and counting their change. They really liked this lesson and I was surprised how much they knew about the market place.
Melinda Garman
Great book to show how math is used everyday and in real-life situations. Give your students money manipulatives and have them follow along with you while you read, acting out the story. Teach your students about fair trade and equivalent values. Appropriate for 1st through 3rd grade.
Hatka Prozorac
The Penny Pot by Stuart J. Murphy serves as a good resource for lessons on money and currency exchange. The book uses realistic illustrations of coins. The book also includes a variety of children from different cultures. This book can be used in second to fifth grade classrooms.
Sade
Jul 17, 2012 Sade added it
This is the best book I could find about making change and learning about money for elementary students. I would use this book in my lesson my providing fake coins and allowing the students to add and subtract money. It is impossible for find good books on money and this is a good one.
Kristin Traina
This is a great book to teach about students about money and problem solving. It does a great job of depicting the money and showing how much Jessie, the young girl, has and collects. It would be great for grades K-2 and could be used to practice adding money, and fair trades.
Christine Levinge
This is a great book to practice counting and taking away amounts of money. It would be a great for an interactive read-aloud, where the students have their own fake coins and are able to follow along with the story, adding their coins and taking away the right amount.
  • Spaghetti and Meatballs for All!
  • Pigs Will Be Pigs: Fun with Math and Money
  • Bunny Money
  • Apple Fractions
  • How Big Is a Foot?
  • The Doorbell Rang
  • How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin?
  • Grapes Of Math
  • If the Shoe Fits
  • Grandfather Tang's Story
  • Even Steven And Odd Todd (level 3) (Hello Reader, Math)
  • Anno's Mysterious Multiplying Jar
PICTURES & WORDS, STORIES & BOOKS
MathStart http://www.mathstart.net
I See I Learn http://www.iseeilearn.com

I was one of those kids who talked all the time in class. I loved telling stories. One day in the 4th Grade, my teacher said, “You tell such good stories, maybe you should try writing some of them down.” “Wow,” I thought. “She thinks my stories are good.” That’s when I started to real
More about Stuart J. Murphy...
Give Me Half! (MathStart Level 2) Lemonade for Sale Divide and Ride Just Enough Carrots A Pair of Socks