Start by marking “The Penny Pot: Math Start - 3” as Want to Read:
The Penny Pot: Math Start - 3

The Penny Pot: Math Start - 3 (MathStart: Level 3)

Learn how children use math on an everyday basis in the United States. Sharing a pizza, budgeting allowance money, and sorting socks are just a few of the daily activities. Softcover. 32 pages. Grades 2 and up.
Published August 8th 1998 by Harper Collins

To ask other readers questions about The Penny Pot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Penny Pot

Manybooks
Stuart J. Murphy's The Penny Pot basically and for all intents and purposes simply features a standard and engaging little anecdote of how Jessie is able to use (and count up) the change being left in the so-called penny pot in order to get her face painted at the June School Fair (it costs fifty cents, but she only has thirty-nine cents and thus requires eleven cents more). Not only are different types of coins featured and depicted (for basic recognition patterns, pennies, nickels, dimes, quar ...more
Inna Nako
Apr 18, 2012 Inna Nako rated it really liked it
-a girl wants to get her face painted, but she doesnt have enough money
-but the solution is that people that have extra pennies would put them in the penny jar
-finally, the girl had enough money by adding the pennies and extra change to what she originally had
-this would be a great follow along where the kids would have their own money manipulatives and would follow with the book
-great book to show addition and subtraction with dimes, nickels, and pennies
-it would be very fun to have a penny ja
Esther
Mar 09, 2011 Esther rated it really liked it
The Penny Pot is a great book when you want to do a math lesson about counting money, and making trades! Jess wants to get her face painted but it costs 50 cents and she only has 39. The artist reassures her that people may have money left over and when they do, they'll drop it into the penny pot for Jessie to contribute towards her 39 cents.

-displays coins in the pages, showing their worth
-creates problems to add up different amounts, and proposing how much someone has left over, how much more
Dolly
Feb 12, 2012 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining and educational story about money in the MathStart series by Stuart J. Murphy. It helps children learn to count and recognize different denominations of coins, but it also teaches about making wise choices with our money.

The illustrations are colorful and entertaining and our girls had fun describing how they would want their face painted. We also discussed how different places can charge varied amounts for face painting (Sometimes it's free. This was a school fair, so i
Mary Conroy
Jun 07, 2011 Mary Conroy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math-books
I purchased The Penny Pot this past semester and used it for several math lessons. I highly recommend this book for late first, second, and third grade students. It is great for interactive money lessons. Students get practice adding and subtracting money, and identifying the value of coins. They also get to practice trading coins. The story is fun as well, with colorful and cute illustrations. The story can be stretch for almost an entire math lesson about money. I had my students come to the w ...more
Betty Kim
Jan 24, 2011 Betty Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: math-money
'The penny pot' is an excellent book for teaching counting coins. In this book, the main character Jessie wants to get a face painting which cost 50 cents. However, she only has 39 cents left because she just bought the ice-cream. Jessie is waiting for customers who will put the extra pennies in the penny pot. Finally, Jessie got enough money and gets a face painting. The teacher can use model coins to demonstrate or act it out for students' a better understanding.
Ali Hembree
Apr 06, 2012 Ali Hembree rated it really liked it
Jessie wants to get her face painted but after she spends some money on an ice cream, she only has 39 cents left. It takes 50 cents to get your face painted to she has to wait for more money to come to the penny jar at the center.

This book is an adventure of counting money and problem solving. Perfect for grades K-2nd grades, this book will teach kids how to count money and how to start to save for the things you really want.
Michelle King
Feb 22, 2011 Michelle King rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math-science
The Penny Pot is an excellent book to combine Literacy and Math in the classroom. I used this book to introduce my coin counting lesson in my 1st grade feild placement class. The book is about a girl wanting to get her face painted at the fair. She only has 39 cents and the face painting cost 50 cents. Read on to see how she gets the additional 11 cents.....Awesome book!
Marie
Nothing extraordinary about the plot, but this book--if read when your child is learning the values of the coins, addition, and numbers up to 100--can be a good math tool. It's more pleasurable than other math picture books I've picked up.
Johna Brown
Nov 26, 2013 Johna Brown rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math, predicting
Jessie, the main character, would like to get her face painted at the school fair but does not have enough money. Luckily, there is a penny pot where students put their extra pennies. Counting the money in the pot is a part of the story. This story could be used for counting money as well as predicting. As a teacher, I would use this story to teach students how to make predictions. I would demonstrate this by reading the title and making a prediction about the book based on the front cover. I wo ...more
Maleigha
Apr 10, 2013 Maleigha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math, money
Great for students up until the 3rd grade. A fun story that students can follow along with as you read and learn about money. Jessie, the main character, would like to participate in getting her face painted and the school fair but does not have enough money. Fortunately, there is a penny pot where students put their extra pennies. As Jessie sits down, the reader can't help but count with her as change gets placed in the penny jar. This is great for practicing money skills, you may even provide ...more
Kate Puleo Unger
Oct 15, 2016 Kate Puleo Unger rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books-read
The Penny Pot is part of the MathStart series, which I read about recently. It's a cute story that incorporates counting money. A little girl really wants to get her face painted at the school carnival, but she doesn't have enough money. The art teacher has a "penny pot" available at the face painting tent. When kids have extra pennies, they add them to the pot, and eventually the girl has enough money to get her face painted. It's fun, and I loved the math.

Emily Miller
Mar 16, 2014 Emily Miller rated it it was amazing
This is a great nonfiction book to use in an early elementary classroom when learning about money and counting money. The story is about an art teacher who has a face painting booth at the school fair. She charges 50 cents for children to get their face painted. Throughout the story the reader is asked to help count money children are giving her to get their face painted. Any extra change goes into the penny pot. This story is interactive and realistic which help a young child relate to it.
Megan Willis
Mar 06, 2013 Megan Willis rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
This cute story about counting pennies would be great to start out a classroom activity where students can "shop around" the class to get their faces painted and other carnival activities. Each shopping station would cost a specific amount of money and we would record all the different ways that students make up the amount required. Money is the most relevant math concept; you can't have too much practice!
Chanelle
Nov 18, 2012 Chanelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
This book is great for learning combinations of 50 cents and trading. I liked how each child had to put their left overs after buying something at the carnival so that someone else had the opportunity to participate at the carnival. You could have a carnival with games that students could play that would cost a specific amount. Each student would put their left overs in the classroom jar and at the end the class could count how much they collected.
Irina
Apr 16, 2012 Irina rated it really liked it
Shelves: math, money
In this book, Jessie doesn't have enough money to get her face painted. (She has .39 cents but needs .50 cents)The art teacher tells her that she can wait and see if there will be enough money in the penny pot to add to her .39 cents. This book is a great book when teaching about counting coins; it can be used as a guide for an activity where students use fake money and buy things. (They can also have a penny pot!)
Kalisha Mohammed
Jul 17, 2012 Kalisha Mohammed rated it it was amazing
I will introduce the book to the students. I will divide my students into groups by the characters in the story. There will be a group for: Miguel,Sam,Jonathan,and Annie. I will instruct the students to listen for their character as I read the book and write down how much money he/she had for the face painting. Also, they will write down how much extra money each person had after they got their faces painted. We will add it up before the story reveals the amount left for Jessie.
Yadira
Feb 19, 2012 Yadira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great book to help children practice counting money. This book tells the story of a young girl who wants to get her face painted but doesn't have enough money. As people come to get their face painted they leave their extra pennies in the penny pot. This book can be used to do a lesson on counting money and finding out how much money is needed to make a certain amount. Once the book is ready children can use school money to work out some math problems.
Kayla Jensen
Sep 29, 2015 Kayla Jensen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
In one of my field experience classrooms I did a lesson on counting money and what that means when it comes to making purchases. This book would have worked great to read at the end of this unit because it allows the students to count the money on the pages and see if the little girl has enough change for what she wants to buy. It would be a great way to review for the students before a test or performance assessment.
Kelli Bratten
Oct 03, 2012 Kelli Bratten rated it really liked it
I absolutely love these math start books! The authors make the stories readable and integrate math in a way that the students and teacher can problem solve using the skills that they have learned. I would try to give each student the coins that the girl in the story have so they can follow along. I would also like to have the students come up and put the money in a pot while we read along with the story. They would write number sentences to go along with what was read in the book.
Lisa
Feb 05, 2010 Lisa rated it really liked it
I used this book in a math lesson that deals with money. I created a store and gave the students an amount of money. They had to figure out what they could buy with the money by comparing prices and counting their change. They really liked this lesson and I was surprised how much they knew about the market place.
Sabrina
Nov 14, 2010 Sabrina rated it really liked it
Economics: price Grade 1-3

The books is a cute story about a girl who wants an ice cream but did not have enough money to purchase one. Other children donate their extra change to a pot and at the end the girl collects enough money for an ice cream. Great economcis lesson on price and the cost of things. This book could also be used in mathematics to count money or foucs on value of money.
Heather
Aug 28, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it
This is a level 3 book. My littler guys didn't much care for it, but the big guys liked it. This does not teach coin recognition or value. You would need to know that beforehand. This is good though as a supplemental activity once they do know how to count coins.

I think this is a good choice for review or just to help cement the money concept.
Jackie
Jun 01, 2011 Jackie rated it liked it
Provides students with practice in counting money (specifically coins). I would use it as a whole class read aloud, or with a small group who needed remediation counting coins. For an extension, the teacher could pose problems about trading smaller coins for larger ones. Students could also construct a diagram of the various ways to make fifty cents from a combination of coins. (K-3)
Evelyn
Apr 05, 2012 Evelyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ece-3601, math, money
The Penny Pot by Stuart J. Murphy is a great book that can be used to teach students about money and coins. It can also teach students how to accurately exchange currency. The book uses accurate pictures of coins to help students remember what each coin looks like. This book can be used to teach students in 1-3 grade.

Quynh Le
Jul 18, 2012 Quynh Le rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
This book has nice pictures for students to look at and can go along with a lesson on money. Students can go along with the story and create the amount in the book with their own money manipulative, to aid their money counting skill. I also liked the resource page at the end which offered more activities for kids and adults to have fun with money, such as 'make believe shopping.'
Chelsea Bucci
Apr 17, 2012 Chelsea Bucci rated it really liked it
Shelves: math-money
2nd Grade level MathStart book. This book is very interactive for the reader(s). It allows students to count out the money shown in the pictures. It would best be read on a lesson regarding money. As an extension, the students could show the amounts of money on each page with real money. Therefore, they would be doing the math along with the characters in the book.
Devan Watson
Jun 29, 2012 Devan Watson rated it it was amazing
This book is a great book that you can use several times throughout the year to remind kids of the practical nature of math, and to show them how they already use math in their everyday lives. Since there are different stories that illustrate how a particular math skill is used, you could read one story or read the entire book/series.
Marvelyne
Dec 13, 2016 Marvelyne added it
Shelves: finances
Great book to help children understand math, especially math dealing with everyday uses of math.
Heather
May 13, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-library, math
38 months - I think the most appealing thing about this book was the face painting and that O has been wanting to get a cat painted on her face, which she did the weekend we read this story. Oh ya, it's about saving money, counting coins and donating pennies too.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Pigs Will Be Pigs: Fun with Math and Money
  • Measuring Penny
  • Spaghetti and Meatballs for All!
  • A Remainder of One
  • Somewhere in the World Right Now
  • Counting on Frank
  • If You Hopped Like A Frog
  • Bunny Money
  • Apple Fractions
  • How Big Is a Foot?
  • Sir Cumference and the First Round Table
  • Even Steven And Odd Todd (level 3) (Hello Reader, Math)
  • If the Shoe Fits
  • How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin? (Mr. Tiffin's Classroom Series)
  • Grandfather Tang's Story
  • The Doorbell Rang
  • Multiplying Menace: The Revenge of Rumpelstiltskin
  • The Giant Carrot
PICTURES & WORDS, STORIES & BOOKS
MathStart http://www.mathstart.net
I See I Learn http://www.iseeilearn.com

I was one of those kids who talked all the time in class. I loved telling stories. One day in the 4th Grade, my teacher said, “You tell such good stories, maybe you should try writing some of them down.” “Wow,” I thought. “She thinks my stories are good.” That’s when I started to real
More about Stuart J. Murphy...

MathStart: Level 3 (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Ready, Set, Hop!
  • Too Many Kangaroo Things to Do!: Math Start - 3
  • Betcha! Estimating (Mathstart, Level 3)
  • Divide and Ride