Nightshade & Damnations

Contents:

9 · Kersh, the Demon Prince · Harlan Ellison · in
15 · The Queen of Pig Island · ss The Strand Mar ’49
29 · Frozen Beauty [as by Waldo Kellar] · ss John Bull Nov 29 ’41
35 · The Brighton Monster [“The Monster”] · ss The Saturday Evening Post Feb 21 ’48
51 · Men Without Bones · ss Esquire Aug ’54
63 · Busto Is a Ghost, Too Mean to Give Us a Fright!" [“Lunatic’s Bro...more
Paperback
Published 1968 by Fawcett Gold Medal

To ask other readers questions about Nightshade & Damnations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nightshade & Damnations

Mitch Duckworth
. . . Loaned to me by fellow writer and dear friend, Jack Mace, this remarkable anthology of 11 storeis by a brilliant writer, Gerald Kersh, unknown to me only a few years ago. Oh, perhaps I have encountered his name somewhere along the line, in one or more (then) obscures references to him by Harlan Ellison or Ray Bradbury, or any one of the writers I admire in an article or essay describing authors they admire. Nightshade & Damnation-11 Storeis of the Weird, the Unspeakable, the Bizarre si...more
Linda
Not so much horror as stories of the fantastic. Many of these would have felt right at home on the Twilight Zone of old.
Clint
I'd never heard of this guy before I read this book, with an introduction slobbering all over him by Harlan Ellison, but all these stories were interesting and very, very odd.
Justin Howe
A collection of short stories from the 1940s and 1950s, somewhat pulpy, but it’s a testament to Kersh’s style and POV that he has aged better than most.

I’d heard Kersh’s name for a while now and knew his work from Jules Dassin’s “Night & the City” before I knew who he was. I definitely recommend this book.
Ericpegnam Pegnam
Uneven but some very interesting...some real shaggy dog stories marginal stuff plus it has a cover by Leo and Diane Dillon.
Matt Donaldson
Great introduction to my favorite author's work. A true master of the short story.
Brendan Carr
Brendan Carr marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Andrey Dolganov
Andrey Dolganov marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Ben
Ben added it
Aug 03, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Charlene
Charlene marked it as to-read
Geoff Hyatt
Geoff Hyatt marked it as to-read
Mlle Ghoul
Mlle Ghoul marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Stephanie McGarrah
Stephanie McGarrah marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Jason
Jason is currently reading it
Jun 24, 2014
James Benson
James Benson marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Manfred
Manfred marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Boy Chris
Boy Chris marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Mark Davess
Mark Davess marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Paul Pensom
Paul Pensom marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Ross Scott-buccleuch
Ross Scott-buccleuch marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Gerald Kersh was born in Teddington-on-Thames, near London, and, like so many writers, quit school to take on a series of jobs -- salesman, baker, fish-and-chips cook, nightclub bouncer, freelance newspaper reporter and at the same time was writing his first two novels.

In 1937, his third published novel, Night and the City, hurled him into the front ranks of young British writers. Twenty novels la...more
More about Gerald Kersh...
Night and the City Fowler's End Men Without Bones Prelude to a Certain Midnight Karmesin: The World's Greatest Criminal -- Or Most Outrageous Liar