Start by marking “Letters to a Young Sister: DeFINE Your Destiny” as Want to Read:
Letters to a Young Sister: DeFINE Your Destiny

Letters to a Young Sister: DeFINE Your Destiny

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  378 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
In the follow-up to his award winning national bestseller, Letters to a Young Brother, actor and star of CSI: NY shares his powerful wisdom for young women everywhere, drawing on the courageous advice of the female role models who transformed his life.

Letters to a Young Sister unfolds as a series of letters written by older brother Hill to a universal Young Sistah. She’s
Published June 3rd 2008 by Gotham

To ask other readers questions about Letters to a Young Sister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letters to a Young Sister

Alyssa Cestero
I love this book. I have never been so in love with a book. When I read this book I tell everyone to shut up. I am a person who doesn't really get into books. I think the author Hill Harper is amazing. He really does help people. When I read everyday I feel different. The changes you in a good way. I used to get every upset with myself but when I read this book and I realized that I am human. I have to learn from my mistakes.
I think everyone should read this book. One reason the adults could un
Marrie *I Only Date Fictional Boys*
Honestly, I read this as an insecure, unsure middle schooler and don't remember much about it. But I remember it helped me quite a lot and made me feel better about myself, so I'm definitely rating it four stars.
Marko
Aug 25, 2015 Marko rated it liked it
Hill Harper is clearly a very mature and "salt of the earth" type of guy- at least that was the impression that I got after reading his Letters. I thought that the book would be adored much more by a younger crowd however. Even though I am only in my early twenties there were a couple of emails where Hill answered questions that I asked in earlier stages of my life, not that his answers were no longer applicable just that I know longer felt those to be burning issues. Some parts of the book real ...more
Aisha
While I enjoyed Letters to a Young Brother, this one was way too preachy for my taste. I did not make it through to the end :(
Tasha
Jul 29, 2012 Tasha added it
it took so long to read because I couldn't get into it easily.
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Erikka Adams aka "The Bookbinder" for TeensReadToo.com

In his latest book, LETTERS TO A YOUNG SISTER, Harper answers to the other half of the population not spoken to in LETTERS TO A YOUNG BROTHER - young women. Though he was inspired by a comment from a young woman of color, this book reaches across cultural and racial differences to speak to young women about issues they face growing up.

The narrator, Hill Harper himself, is writing to a hypothetical "young sistah," a young sistah w
Crystal Glenn
May 03, 2013 Crystal Glenn rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading (listening to) Letters to a Young Sister: DeFINE Your Destiny. For a number of years now, I have admired Hill Harper and an actor and let's face it, as a beautiful black man. In hearing him speak I began to realize that there was something deep and rooted underneath the surface. The more I learned of him outside of his acting and great looks, the more I appreciate his mind, world view ,and his heart of service, especially when it comes to uplifting and enlightening the Af ...more
V Dixon
Jun 09, 2014 V Dixon rated it it was ok
Book was a mite pretentious. Some of the advice was good and depending on the audience possibly it was and will be well received. Was I in love with this book-no. Do I understand the rationale behind it-yes. Will this be a go to book for me-no. Will I recommend it to someone else? It depends on the person I am trying to reach. I am glad I read it so I am able to understand those who think it is a great book.
Antonio Wesley
Nov 07, 2012 Antonio Wesley rated it liked it
This book is a book with short poems, stories, emails, and letters to young teenage girls. These are responses to questions that girls have with the best advice possible that Hill Harper was able to give. I think it is a good book because it teaches a lot of important life lessons. Toward the end of the book, Harper tells readers to refer to their life as a chocolate fudge cake. He says to compare a Ho Ho, which is just satisfying for the moment to a chocolate fudge cake which goes deep in your ...more
Zita Jackson
Apr 19, 2011 Zita Jackson rated it really liked it
I am currently reading this book and I must say that it has been an inspiring experience. Hill Harper assumes the advisor role for a young female in this book. The book provides advice and opinions from the author to the reader in the form of e-mail correspondence between Hill and the young lady; it also includes some e-mail responses from Hill's famous friends. I enjoyed the design of the book. The communicative interaction between Hill and the young sister immediately draws you in. In a sense, ...more
Ashley Lee
Jan 08, 2015 Ashley Lee rated it really liked it
It was a little hard keeping my attention but I believe that's because it's geared more towards younger girls. It's still a good read just took some time getting through it.
Angineeki
Dec 22, 2008 Angineeki rated it really liked it
A "young sister," who falls somewhere between 13 and 17 years old would really enjoy this book. Even at 31, I took away a few pearls of wisdom. He relies on the advice of celebrities, well-known politicians, and the like to give the advice, while using his own voice, and a handful of clichés and song lyrics to give the positive reinforcement. Harper also does a decent job of introducing young ladies to leaders, trailblazers, and trend setters in the black community. I wasn't expecting this forma ...more
Ariel Clark
Dec 12, 2012 Ariel Clark rated it it was amazing
Letters to a Young Sister : Define is an amazing inspirational book for young girls. This book had advice for every possible teenage scenario. There are even little poems throughout the whole book, they're very uplifting and inspirational. The book even has advice letter form celebrities such as: Gabrielle Union, Eve, Maya Angelou, and many others.

This book was inspirational but also entertaining. The topics were from planning your life goals, dating, sex, and appreciating and loving yourself fo
Collin
Oct 28, 2012 Collin rated it liked it
This was a semi-enjoyable read in the same vein of Letters to a Young Brother, but I found the advice harder to take. I don't know if it was because Harper is a black man offering advice to young black women, or if it is the delivery, but this book was somewhat of a chore to get through. It was interesting how some of the celebrity women that offered advice seemed to be fairly cold and clinical in their advice. I am unsure if it was because of the editing, but the men profiled in Letters to A Yo ...more
Brenda Hairston
Feb 09, 2014 Brenda Hairston rated it liked it
Couldn't get into it.
Justine
Feb 25, 2010 Justine rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for young women of all ages, even for women who are mature and have established their lives. There is nothing wrong with getting advice at any age and it is great when the advice comes from a man's perspective. Addressing the issues of sex, love, jealously, money, financial empowerment, relationships, school, future, and so many things, Harper gives everyone something that they all can relate to. Very inspirational and full of positive energy and advice.
Mindy
Feb 15, 2010 Mindy rated it really liked it
This book was written after Letters to a Young Brother and it has extremely similar advice just written with a young female audience in mind. It's a little more loquacious for some reason. I could almost feel that he was uncomfortable sometimes trying to write for girls, but I respect him for doing it anyway. It's all great advice and if the young sisters of the world would actually read it and follow his advice, America would honestly be on a better track.
Latasha Lynn
Jan 26, 2016 Latasha Lynn rated it really liked it
Shelves:
Gifted to me back in 2014, but I don't do so well with self-help books. They're more annoying and drole to me than anything. However, Hill has some pretty keen insight and pulls in some pretty impressive friends to help a young fan of his come into her own. He's a good big brother and mentor and I think this is definitely a good read and inspiring material for a young lady in need of inspiration and encouragement.
Janee'
Jan 08, 2012 Janee' rated it really liked it
Fab read! Every woman should read it. It's very inspiring to young women & a reminder for older women. Knowledge never gets old. The way Hill Harper speaks to the young lady he exchanges letters with is beyond a moving experience to the reader. It's the very advice that every woman has searched for at least once. I can't wait to tell my friends about it.
Daja
Dec 06, 2012 Daja rated it it was amazing
lettes to a young sister is about,hill harper being a big brother to a few of the girls in his book that need help or advice woth there problems. he ask othe people for advice to so he can help them out with stuff that he dont have the answer to. hill harper a brother and actress an autor best selling book.
Kinshasa Vargas-Pile
I loved it! Listened to it as an audiobook. It is read by the author Hill Harper. He used to be on the TV show "CSI NY". He pulled his female friends together, to give advice to teen girls. Very sound advice. This is a great book for 13 to 19 year olds.
Shanae
One of the best books I read in 2008. Every young woman should read this book. I can only imagine how much better off African American women would be if they read this instead of Act Like A Lady, Think Like A Man by that clown Steve Harvey.
Areil
Oct 10, 2012 Areil added it
I think the book was a great book. So inspiring and uplifting.It helped me a lot. Hill is a great writer, I hope to write a book just like this to help women all over and to leave a impact on them just as he did in this book. Thanks Hill.
Jataria
The narrator's perspective on "Letters To a young sister" is to show and tell young lady abput her life and what to expect in life as you get older in life. Also to let young ladies know that if they try they can define their destiny.
Kesha
I liked this book, but not as much as his first book, "Letters to a Young Brother: MANifest Your Destiny." I would recommend and gift this book to a young sister in need of guidance in the areas of love, sex, finances, relationships, etc.
Nnenna
Jul 26, 2011 Nnenna rated it it was amazing
This book inspired me so much. Still being in high school when I first read it I gained a wealth of knowledge and in the process began finding myself. Starting college this fall I'm definitely going to re-read it before going off
Adrienna
Jan 17, 2009 Adrienna rated it it was amazing
Hill Harper has some wonderful insight for young women, especially from guests like Ciarra, Michelle Obama, and so forth. This is marvelous he has a connection with all these women to help our younger generation.
Mike
Feb 16, 2010 Mike rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Yes
He was able to use his insight as well as others to guide a Young Sister. There are so many things a young woman go through and I am glad that he was able to address those issues in an honest real fashion.
O'sha Tolbert
Jan 27, 2012 O'sha Tolbert rated it it was amazing
Letters to a Young Sister: DeFine Your Destiny, by Hill Harper is a inspirational power house for young girls. It gives confidence and understanding, so you can "deFine" your destiny!
Diva
Jun 04, 2010 Diva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I luv Hill Harper writing... the brotha is deep as he is fine..oh and did I mention he my baby daddy...let me stop daydreaming before some hater take it seriously...holla
  • Play or Be Played: What Every Female Should Know About Men, Dating, and Relationships
  • Is Marriage for White People?: How the African American Marriage Decline Affects Everyone
  • Secrets of a Working Dog: Unleash Your Potential and Create Success
  • 501 Decorating Ideas Under $100
  • Black Culture and Black Consciousness: Afro-American Folk Thought from Slavery to Freedom
  • The Little Black Book of Success: Laws of Leadership for Black Women
  • Rosa Lee: A Mother and Her Family in Urban America
  • 100 Simple Things You Can Do to Prevent Alzheimer's and Age-Related Memory Loss
  • That Bird Has My Wings: The Autobiography of an Innocent Man on Death Row
  • Spanish for Dummies
  • A Hood Legend
  • Live It, Love It, Earn It: A Woman's Guide to Financial Freedom
  • Sellout
Francis Harper, known professionally as Hill Harper, is an American film, television and stage actor, and author. An alumnus of Harvard Law School, he is best known for his portrayal of Dr. Sheldon Hawkes on the CBS drama television series CSI: NY.
More about Hill Harper...

“rejection is usually God’s protection.” 2 likes