Start by marking “Come to the Table: Slow Food Way of Living” as Want to Read:
Come to the Table: Slow Food Way of Living

Come to the Table: Slow Food Way of Living

Where do great meals begin? Come to the Table brings you straight to the source of wonderful flavors, beauty, abundance, and pride of place—the small farms of California and the people who tend them season after season.
Alice Waters, the celebrated chef and food activist, introduces a remarkable group of resilient fresh-food artisans who are committed to keeping our food s
Published September 16th 2008 by Modern Times

To ask other readers questions about Come to the Table, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Come to the Table

Vivian
Mar 28, 2012 Vivian rated it liked it
Shelves: craft-cook-books
I spotted this title in a Bon Appetite magazine and was delighted to discover that the bulk of the book consists of vignettes of thirteen family and community supported farms of diverse sizes and descriptions. The at-a-glance description of "going slow" includes buying organic (careful, this may not be what you think it is now that the word is trademarked), avoiding "genetically modified food" (easier said than done -- watch Food, Inc. or The Future of Food for more info), buying local (farmer's ...more
Gloria
Jul 13, 2010 Gloria rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those interested in food purity, local economies, green issues
Shelves: non-fiction, cookery
This is a book that celebrates the local farmer, but more importantly, its intent is to educate consumers as to why they should buy locally and what the issues are facing small farms. It definitely highlights big government initiatives (problems and roadblocks) and why it is good for consumers and the earth to see small farms emerge again. It contains decent recipes, too, but the focus is rather political as it firmly pushes back on our fast food nation.
Aja Marsh
Mostly dedicated to stories of mostly west coast small family farms-- which is cool, I just expected it to be full of recipes. The handful of recipes are mainly a logical pairing to the stories, but none of them are particularly eye opening-- though I was curious about the two recipes that use pumpkin plant leaves and chili plant leaves--- interesting!!
Stacy
Jan 30, 2011 Stacy rated it it was ok
Shelves: food-writing
This is a compilation of various stories behind sustainable family farms. I wouldn't buy it, but it made a nice library read. The reasons for CSAs are explained and the difficulty of being a farmer these days emphasized. Also, a few good looking recipes at the end.
Heather Wolfers
Aug 25, 2009 Heather Wolfers rated it it was amazing
Reinforces my desire to someday own a little family farm. Makes me wish we had a longer growing season here in Colorado and a longer farmer's market. Reminds me of when we lived in France and would go to the outdoor market every week. Inspiring!
T-mere
This is a book filled with wonderful stories and great recipes.... the Chicken and Chile Leaves and Dutch-Oven Pot Roast with Root Vegetables are fantastic!

A treasure worthy of a place on your kitchen shelf-- just in time for Thanksgiving!

-Happy Eating!
Michelle
Jun 18, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it
Delicious recipes mixed with great information about local organic farms around the U.S. providing fresh fruits and vegetables.
Tricia
Nov 23, 2008 Tricia added it
I am obsessed with food books...
Sandra
Nov 28, 2009 Sandra rated it really liked it
Real folks working the land sharing their stories. Helps the reader understand the passion to farm. Great recipes shared by the farmers. good read!
Jeannette
Apr 09, 2009 Jeannette rated it really liked it
A beautifully designed book inside and out - even the paper feels good in my hands. Interviews and stories from small California farmers and food producers. The recipes at the end look great too.
Jennifer Miera
Been there. Done that. This book wasn't anything remarkable. Of course, I've been reading every book I can get my hands on about eating locally, sustainability and the like...
CFAITC
Twelve California farmers that are farming locally and organically share their reasons for making this their way of life.
Patricia D. Wilson
Patricia D. Wilson rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2015
Signora
Signora rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2009
Mari
Mari rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2010
Tatiana Moorier
Tatiana Moorier rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2009
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2009
Denise
Denise rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2012
Rosalie R
Rosalie R rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2009
Hedy Macferran
Hedy Macferran rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2009
Twyla
Twyla rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2011
Shannon
Shannon rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2012
Kathely
Kathely rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2013
Gypsy Madre
Gypsy Madre rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2014
Susanna
Susanna rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2012
Deb cambria
Deb cambria rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2015
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2013
Tara L
Tara L rated it liked it
May 07, 2013
Kate Laubacher
Kate Laubacher rated it really liked it
May 21, 2014
  • The Profitable Hobby Farm, How to Build a Sustainable Local Foods Business
  • Simple Prosperity: Finding Real Wealth in a Sustainable Lifestyle
  • Edible Schoolyard
  • Slow Food Nation: Why Our Food Should Be Good, Clean, and Fair
  • The Earth-sheltered Solar Greenhouse Book: How to Build an Energy Free Year-round Greenhouse
  • Down to Earth
  • The Solar House: Passive Solar Heating and Cooling
  • Chez Panisse Cooking
  • Homegrown and Handmade: A Practical Guide to More Self-Reliant Living
  • Rocket Mass Heaters: Superefficient Woodstoves You Can Build
  • DIY Projects for the Self-Sufficient Homeowner: 25 Ways to Build a Self-Reliant Lifestyle
  • Build Your Own Earth Oven: A Low-Cost Wood-Fired Mud Oven, Simple Sourdough Bread, Perfect Loaves
  • Edible Forest Gardens: 2 Volume Set
  • Creating a Life Together: Practical Tools to Grow Ecovillages and Intentional Communities
  • Little Felted Animals Create 16 Irresistible Creatures with Simple Needle-felting Techniques by Horvath, Marie-Noelle ( Author ) ON Sep-04-2008, Paperback
  • Ecoliterate: How Educators Are Cultivating Emotional, Social, and Ecological Intelligence
  • The Complete Houseplant Survival Manual: Essential Gardening Know-how for Keeping (Not Killing!) More Than 160 Indoor Plants
  • Tree Crops: A Permanent Agriculture