Start by marking “Come to the Table: Slow Food Way of Living” as Want to Read:
Come to the Table: Slow Food Way of Living

Come to the Table: Slow Food Way of Living

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  12 reviews

Where do great meals begin? Come to the Table brings you straight to the source of wonderful flavors, beauty, abundance, and pride of place—the small farms of California and the people who tend them season after season.
Alice Waters, the celebrated chef and food activist, introduces a remarkable group of resilient fresh-food artisans who are committed to keeping our food s
Published September 16th 2008 by Modern Times

To ask other readers questions about Come to the Table, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Come to the Table

The Mystic Princesses and the Whirlpool by P.J. LaRueSilent Spring by Rachel CarsonCradle to Cradle by William McDonoughThe Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael PollanThe Urban Homestead (Expanded & Revised Edition) by Kelly Coyne
Being "Green"
77th out of 252 books — 154 voters
Silent Spring by Rachel CarsonA Sand County Almanac with Other Essays on Conservation from ... by Aldo LeopoldThe Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael PollanThe Lorax by Dr. SeussDesert Solitaire by Edward Abbey
Best Environmental Books
405th out of 509 books — 573 voters

More lists with this book...

Vivian
I spotted this title in a Bon Appetite magazine and was delighted to discover that the bulk of the book consists of vignettes of thirteen family and community supported farms of diverse sizes and descriptions. The at-a-glance description of "going slow" includes buying organic (careful, this may not be what you think it is now that the word is trademarked), avoiding "genetically modified food" (easier said than done -- watch Food, Inc. or The Future of Food for more info), buying local (farmer's...more
Gloria
Jul 13, 2010 Gloria rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those interested in food purity, local economies, green issues
Shelves: non-fiction, cookery
This is a book that celebrates the local farmer, but more importantly, its intent is to educate consumers as to why they should buy locally and what the issues are facing small farms. It definitely highlights big government initiatives (problems and roadblocks) and why it is good for consumers and the earth to see small farms emerge again. It contains decent recipes, too, but the focus is rather political as it firmly pushes back on our fast food nation.
Aja Marsh
Mostly dedicated to stories of mostly west coast small family farms-- which is cool, I just expected it to be full of recipes. The handful of recipes are mainly a logical pairing to the stories, but none of them are particularly eye opening-- though I was curious about the two recipes that use pumpkin plant leaves and chili plant leaves--- interesting!!
T-mere
This is a book filled with wonderful stories and great recipes.... the Chicken and Chile Leaves and Dutch-Oven Pot Roast with Root Vegetables are fantastic!

A treasure worthy of a place on your kitchen shelf-- just in time for Thanksgiving!

-Happy Eating!
Stacy
This is a compilation of various stories behind sustainable family farms. I wouldn't buy it, but it made a nice library read. The reasons for CSAs are explained and the difficulty of being a farmer these days emphasized. Also, a few good looking recipes at the end.
Heather Wolfers
Reinforces my desire to someday own a little family farm. Makes me wish we had a longer growing season here in Colorado and a longer farmer's market. Reminds me of when we lived in France and would go to the outdoor market every week. Inspiring!
Jeannette
A beautifully designed book inside and out - even the paper feels good in my hands. Interviews and stories from small California farmers and food producers. The recipes at the end look great too.
Jennifer Miera
Been there. Done that. This book wasn't anything remarkable. Of course, I've been reading every book I can get my hands on about eating locally, sustainability and the like...
Michelle
Delicious recipes mixed with great information about local organic farms around the U.S. providing fresh fruits and vegetables.
CFAITC
Twelve California farmers that are farming locally and organically share their reasons for making this their way of life.
Tricia
Jun 14, 2009 Tricia added it
I am obsessed with food books...
Sandra
Real folks working the land sharing their stories. Helps the reader understand the passion to farm. Great recipes shared by the farmers. good read!
Bonnie Limbird
Bonnie Limbird marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Keishua
Keishua marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Miranda Q.
Miranda Q. marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Lace
Lace marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Allison Bailey
Allison Bailey marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Stephanie C
Stephanie C marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Madeline
Madeline marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Anniemarialani
Anniemarialani marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Samantha Brasher
Samantha Brasher marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014