Start by marking “Elizabeti's Doll” as Want to Read:
Elizabeti's Doll

Elizabeti's Doll

Upon the arrival of her new baby brother, Elizabeti decides she needs a doll she can care for the way her mother cares for the new baby. After looking around her village, Elizabeti finds the perfect doll to love, and names her Eva.

When Mama changes the new baby's diaper, Elizabeti changes Eva. When Mama sings to the baby, Elizabeti sings to Eva. And one day when Eva turns
Published May 1st 2002 by Lee & Low Books (first published December 1st 1900)

To ask other readers questions about Elizabeti's Doll, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elizabeti's Doll

Chicken in the Kitchen by Nnedi OkoraforBeat the Story-Drum, Pum-Pum by Ashley BryanBringing the Rain to Kapiti Plain by Verna AardemaWhy Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears by Verna AardemaShadow by Marcia Brown
Picture Books On Africa
88th out of 120 books — 16 voters
The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery WilliamsCorduroy by Don FreemanA Bargain for Frances by Russell HobanOld Bear by Jane HisseyAlexander And The Wind Up Mouse by Leo Lionni
Picture Books About Toys
15th out of 47 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

May 31, 2008 Claudia rated it liked it
Shelves: africa
(CIP) When a young Tanzanian girl gets a new baby brother, she finds a rock, which she names Eva, and makes it her baby doll.

(Claudia) When Elizabeti’s brother Obedi is born, Elizabeti adopts a large rock as a doll, naming it Eva, and bathing it, burping it, and carrying it on her back the same way her mother bathes, burps, and carries Obedi. A gentle story with attractive realistic-style illustrations, and a bit of suspense to keep young readers engaged: Elizabeti leaves her rock doll with some
Megan Cureton
Elizabeti had a new baby brother, and watched her mother care for her baby brother. She wanted to take care of her own baby, but didn't have a doll. So she went outside looking for one. She tried a stick, but it poked her. She came across a rock and it was just the right size. She named it Eva. She watched her mother bathe her baby brother and he splashed her, but when she bathed Eva, she behaved very nicely and only splashed a little. Her baby brother burped after feeding, but Eva was too polit ...more
Lenae Haley
Feb 02, 2016 Lenae Haley rated it really liked it
Elizabeti had a new baby brother and soon after wanted her own baby doll. She didn't have a baby doll so she settled with a big rock as her baby and named her Eva. Elizabeti did everything with Eva as her mom did it with her new baby brother. One day when Elizabeti had to do her chores she unwrapped Eva from her blanket and put her by the other rocks so she wouldn't be lonely while Elizabeti was gone. When she got back Eva was no where to be found. Her mother and sister tried to get other rocks ...more
Aug 14, 2008 Cana rated it really liked it
Mommy says: Reminds me of the boundless imagination of my own childhood, where a pile of dirt clumps can be a magic forest populated with witches and fairies ... or a rock can be a baby. Makes me regret how much stuff our kids have today -- and wonder how much of their own imgaination is stifled by the surplus. Very sweet book about a little girl with her own new baby brother and her own special way of practicing mothering. We all liked it.
Jan 15, 2009 Lorraine rated it it was amazing
This book also is a great contrast between how fortunate we are here in America - or maybe not! A little African girl doesn't have a doll so she adopts a rock as her doll and plays with it and takes care of it like her mother does her little baby brother. It is a sweet story with beautiful illustrations.
Sep 13, 2016 Morgan added it
Shelves: rdng-350
This book is about a little girl names Elizabeti who has a little brother. She seems to live in a small village somewhere. She watches her mother care for her brother and decides she would like a doll too. She tries a stick first, but it isn't cuddly. Then she finds a rock. The rock is a perfect doll because it doesn't fuss or burp. Elizabeti looses the doll though, and is very sad. She eventually finds it among the fire pit and her mother helps her get it out and clean it. The story ends with h ...more
Oct 04, 2016 Joy rated it really liked it
Shelves: reading-350
Elizabeti observes how her mom is taking care of her baby so she wants a baby to take care of too. She finds a rock and cares for it like a baby doll. She feeds her, changes her diaper, and bathes her. Elizabeti shows her off to her friend but her friend is not interested. When she goes to do her chores she leaves her doll in a pile of rocks. When she comes back she isnt there. When she goes make dinner she finder her. She is able to fall asleep peacefully as she sings to her doll.

It is really
Mar 31, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it
When Elizabeti's mother has a new baby, Elizabeti cannot help but want a baby of here own. After some searching outside, and with no doll of her own, Elizabeti finds a rock that is a perfect fit. Elizabeti takes care of the rock just as her mother takes care of the newborn child. Soon, something happens to Elizabeti's doll, and she must find it. She begins growing frustrated and upset she cannot find her newest belonging. Will she find it? Where could it have gone? Stephanie Stuve-Bodeen is beco ...more
Jun 24, 2008 Connie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
bought this book for my little nieces, whom I watch during the week.

They love the book, mostly for personal reasons - I carry the baby, ELIZABETI carries her baby; our baby is Eva, THE DOLL is Eva - but I love the book just because it's a very sweet story.

It has simple enough wording, only a few sentences per two-page spread, that it can be read easily to a young child, only two years or so... and it has a deep enough story that it will be enjoyed by an older child as well.

There's only one part
Nicki Blomquist
Elizabeti wants a baby to take care of just like her mother. She can't even find a doll to take care. Elizabeth decides to make a rock her baby. She spends time with the rock and tries to be the best mother she can be. When someone else comes upon the rock and decides to use it for something other than a baby, Elizabeti is beside herself. She does not know where her baby is and is devastated by the loss of it. The reader is a relieved as Elizabeti once the doll is found again.

This story brings c
This picture book story, set in Tanzania, tells the story of Elizabeti who has just become a big sister and wants a baby of her own. She finds a rock that she cares for and loves as if it was a child of her own. When she goes to fetch water, she leaves her rock in a safe place, but when she returns "Eva" is gone. She is sad until she finds it about to be used in the cooking fire, and she rescues it. The story ends as Elizabeti sings a lullaby to her baby just as her own mother sings to her broth ...more
Brent Rogers
Elizabeti wanted to take care of a child because her mother had a baby. She wanted to be like her mother so much. She didn't have any baby dolls, so she grabbed a big stone and raised it. The stone was named Eva. Elizabeti helps her mom do chores and become more grown up.
Mar 08, 2015 Betsey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Surprisingly endearing book, despite a somewhat classic theme. Very easy for my white american child to identify with the main themes of the book, but lots of new ideas in the other details of daily life for Elizabeti.
NSAndrew Liebergen
When her new baby brother arrives, Elizabeti decides she needs a doll that she can care for the way her mother cares for the new baby. After looking around the village, Elizabeti finds the perfect doll to love. She names her Eva. When Mama changes the new baby's diaper, Elizabeti changes Eva's. When Mama sings to the baby, Elizabeti sings to Eva. And one day when Eva turns up lost, Elizabeti realizes just how much she loves her special doll. For children adjusting to a new sibling, this story is ...more
Jul 18, 2015 Em rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Sweet story set in Tanzania. While the story is focused on make believe and caring for someone/something, Stuve-Bodeen also offers young readers a subtle introduction to village life in Tanzania.
Mar 17, 2016 Melody rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Engaging story (especially for an older sister who also wants a baby to care for) and lovely illustrations. We now have to tie on the baby dolls with a kanga.
Jul 22, 2015 Maggie rated it it was amazing
Ezra Jack Keats Book Award for New Writer (1999), Minnesota Book Award for Picture Books – Author (1999)

Sweet, sweet story about a girl who makes a doll out of a rock and cares for it tenderly. Could be paired with For You are a Kenyan Child for a story time about African Villages. beautiful illustrations bring Elizabeti's love to life.
When her baby brother is born, Eva wants a baby to care for, too, so she mothers a rock.
Rachel Palmer
Great book.
Dec 30, 2014 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aww! lovely book.
When I read this story, it took me back to when I was six years old and my little brother was born. Like Elizabeti, I loved the idea of being a little mommy, and I was constantly playing house with my dolls, but I was spoiled compared to her. I had dozens of baby dolls while she didn't have any. She had to substitute a rock for a doll.

By reading this book, children can see how other children play and live in some countries. It will open their eyes to new worlds different then their own.
Apr 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Earthy tones and textiles of Tanzania softly serve warm embraces and learned love in this beautiful tale of motherhood mimicry and the joy of nurturing.

You can listen in on our chat about this book on our Just One More Book! Children's Book Podcast.

We’d love to hear your thoughts on a favourite children’s book. Leave a voice message on our JOMB listener hotline, +1-206-350-6487.

Charmiing picture book tale set in Tanzania about a little girl who names a stone Eva and copies her mother bathing, burbing, changing, carrying, etc her little brother. At one point, Eva is lost, and Elizabeti can't be consoled with another stone; she KNOWS the substitues aren't Eva! The illustrations ably fit the story.

Interesting comparison of a stone for a doll, vs. the plethora of dolls of all shapes and sizes in contemporary U.S.
Cherie Durbin
Jan 27, 2011 Cherie Durbin rated it really liked it
Elizabeti wants a doll she can care for the way her mother cares for her new baby brother. Elizabeti finds the perfect "doll" and names it Eva. But, one day, Elizabeti goes to fetch water from the village well and comes home to find Eva missing! What could have happened to Eva? Will Elizabeti ever see Eva again?

This tender book is the perfect bedtime story.
Jan 08, 2009 Genevieve rated it really liked it
Lilah's been really into the Elizabeti books and even wants to count like her. Guess I need to find some audio files with correct pronunciation, eh? I'm not sure the greater message is sinking in (hey, Elizabeti has a rock for a doll... stop asking me for a Barbie, already!), but we'll work on it.
Jun 20, 2014 Al rated it it was amazing
I love this book.
Elizabeti lives in Africa. Her mama has a new baby. Elizabeti wants a baby too, so she finds a nice rock to be her baby. She takes such good care of her! What a resourceful girl she is.
Amy Stipp
Oct 14, 2009 Amy Stipp rated it it was amazing
This is a good read! A little girl, like many big sisters, wants a baby like her mommy so she finds a rock and "mothers" it. Very sweet illustrations, filled with images of a rural African village.
Sandy Brehl
The power of imagination, the love of family, the value of security in a loving home, the richness of culture... and the universality of a child's development and learning.
Olivia Bailey
Sep 16, 2011 Olivia Bailey rated it it was ok
This book can help students with new siblings. Teaches to be helpful and seek responsiblity. Help her cope and others
Teaches to love and care for things and others.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »