Start by marking “Mama Elizabeti” as Want to Read:
Mama Elizabeti

Mama Elizabeti

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Elizabeti has a new baby sister, so now Elizabeti has to help take care of her younger brother, Obedi. Elizabeti knows just what to do. She has been taking care of her "baby," a rock doll named Eva, since Obedi was a baby.

But taking care of a real child isn't as easy as taking care of a rock doll. Elizabeti tries to sweep the floor, but Obedi pulls her hair. Elizabeti sift
Published May 22nd 2005 by Lee & Low Books (first published May 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Mama Elizabeti, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mama Elizabeti

Kathryn Wray
Great read aloud to illustrate how caring for others is a reward upon itself. I love Stephanie Stuve-Bodeen (Peace Corps Volunteer and amazing author? She's the total package!) Elizabeti's Doll is also a great book, that came before Mama Elizabeti. Would recommend for any elementary grade level.
Christine
I like the illustrations in this book, especially the depictions of babywearing. I also like the descriptions and depictions of Elizabeti cheerfully contributing to her family's work. But I found this book flawed:
1. Most significantly, when Obedi is missing, Elizabeti worries that her parents will think that she doesn't know how to care for a real baby. Why isn't she worried about Obedi's safety instead of (or at least in addition to) what her parents will think of her???
2. I don't like how she
Lauren James
A widely-appealing concept--Elizabeti has trouble taking care of her little brother and doing her chores at the same time, and is torn between her love and frustration--meets a specific context--Elizabeti's village and day-to-day life--for a winning, funny, and warm picture book. Absolutely worth reading, and probably a must-have for any older sibling.
Paris
I would recommend this book to grades 2-3. This book is about a girl who experiences what it is like to take care of her baby brother. She learned that it was much different and more challenging to look after her baby brother than it is a baby doll. I would read this book to students show them that caring for others has its rewards.
Cherisse
3.5

Another charming story about Elizabeti and her family. Obedi is no longer the youngest, and is now Elizabeti's charge, but he's a much bigger handful than her stone, Eva.
Sandy Brehl
This sequel to Elizabeti's Doll is a fun continuation of Elizabeti's family, demonstrating her continued growth and development within her growing family.
Kathy Garner
Good connection to having a new baby at home and the new responsibilities that could come.
S10_Jessica Oster
format: picture book
age: elementary
protagonist: Elizabeti
Superreader200
It's about a girl with my name. She helps her mom.
Jennifer Goins
Jennifer Goins marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Deb Reddy
Deb Reddy marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Aileen Polanski
Aileen Polanski marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Christie
Christie marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Hauwa M. M.
Hauwa M. M. is currently reading it
Jun 07, 2014
Jen
Jen added it
Mar 25, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Jane
Jane added it
Jan 29, 2014
Jenne
Jenne marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Eva Garner
Eva Garner marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2013
Chong Chin-Ning
Chong Chin-Ning marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2013
Jeani
Jeani marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2013
A Small Brown Dog with a Wet Pink Nose Elizabeti's Doll We'll Paint the Octopus Red Elizabeti's School The Best Worst Brother