Escape on Venus (Venus, #4)

Escape on Venus (Venus #4)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  544 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Earthman Carson Napier had found his share of adventure on the cloud-shrouded planet of Venus. He had rescued his beloved Princess Duare from one peril after another. But when Carson finally restored Duare to her home in the lofty kingdom of Vepaja, she was sentenced to death for daring to love a lesser mortal! Once again, Carson rescued the Princess, snatching her from he...more
Mass Market Paperback, Ace Science Fiction Classic F-268, 254 pages
Published 1964 by Ace Books (first published 1942)

Derek
Burroughs is not at his best here. Sections set in the more outlandish lands--fish people, people who grow from plants, people who reproduce by binary fission--are, ironically, the least interesting to read.

Mostly because they follow the same tired formula: Napier and Duare are captured and held by particularly dull-witted enemies, and escape is a slow, enervating process containing more talk than action. It doesn't help that the protagonists themselves seem to take a stupidity pill at the same...more
David Allen
The fourth book in the Venus series displays a certain tiredness; I began losing track of the number of city-states and tribes Carson and Duare blunder into, and as always, coincidences and million-to-one chances abound. Still, ERB's fast pace and dry humor kept me reading.
David B
In the final novel of Edgar Rice Burroughs's Venus series, stalwart Earthman Carson Napier and his mate, the beautiful Duare, are trying to find their way back to Korva, the country that became their home in the previous book. We follow them from mishap to mishap as they encounter a nation of fishmen, the cult of a strange goddess, a macabre museum whose living exhibits are paralyzed then mounted, and a war between navies of huge land-bound ships on a great plain. The story is episodic, reflecti...more
Ailish
Classic ERB. Plenty of adventure and crazy coincidence. Once again the story ends abruptly and is suddenly wound up in one chapter.
Alex
This was a very disappointing read. I very much enjoyed the first three books in this series, but this one was without a doubt the least memorable. Without giving away any details, literally this book is just about our main character getting enslaved, then escaping, getting enslaved, then escaping, getting enslaved, then escaping, etc. This was very repetitive and boring. I sure hope 'Wizard' makes a huge step up and ends the series with an excellent note. :/
David Bonesteel
Curtiss
The stories of Carson Napier's adventures on Earth's sister planet are essentially ERB engaging in self-parody of the superior Barsoom stories. These stories are not high art, or even good sci-fi/fantasy; but ERB's Venus stories are fairly good yarns with exotic Venusian locales, fantastic beasts, flamboyant damsels, dastardly villains, and cliff-hanging adventures in which the hero gets the girl and the bad guy meets his (or her) just deserts.

[See, even I can engage in self-parody - see my John...more
Jim
The Amtor (Venus)series is my second favorite series written by Edgar Rice Burroughs. I used to walk to Grand Central and gather bottles along the side of the road. I would be able to collect enough bottles and turn them in for the deposit for the next book in this (and all of his series)series of books!
Norman Cook
The fourth and final volume of Burroughs' Venus series is essentially four novelettes, each one describing Carson Napier's capture and escape by various weird races. Among the aliens are fish-people, plant-people, and amoeba-people.
Erik Graff
Oct 14, 2009 Erik Graff rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Burroughs fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
I read this up at grandmother's cottage in Michigan and was somewhat disappointed, not getting into Burrough's Venus books like I did with his Barsoom (Mars) and Pellucidar series.
Gerd
Didn't like it much, the writing is full of racial and gender clichés, the story too predictable. Maybe at an younger age, or at a different time, I might have enjoyed it more.
Sue
I love the Venus series. It's like reading a Star Wars novel but 10 times better. All of the books are quick reads and really fun. Great romance, adventures, and aliens.
Nicholas Hansen
Nothing really new. Carson and his girl are taken hostage several times, usually three pages after they escaped their last prediciment.
Tawnni
Three and half really. Probably my favorite of the Venus series.
melvinhiddenelder
Great finish to the Venus series, I love Burroughs style!
Charles
Enjoyable, although I prefer the Barsoom books.
Allen
Garth
Garth added it
Jul 18, 2014
Wendy Grieb
Wendy Grieb marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
  • The City of the Beast or Warriors of Mars (Michael Kane 1)
  • The Lavalite World (World of Tiers #5)
  • The Earth Book of Stormgate
  • The Secret People
  • Almuric
  • Project Pope
  • To Live Forever
  • The Sword of Rhiannon
  • The Galaxy Primes
  • Conan of Aquilonia (Book 11)
  • Year's Best SF
  • Sixth Column
  • Lucky Starr and the Oceans of Venus (Lucky Starr, #3)
  • Total Eclipse
  • Courtship Rite
  • Thorns
  • The Birthgrave (Birthgrave, #1)
  • Zothique
Edgar Rice Burroughs was an American author, best known for his creation of the jungle hero Tarzan and the heroic John Carter, although he produced works in many genres.
More about Edgar Rice Burroughs...
A Princess of Mars (Barsoom, #1) Tarzan of the Apes (Tarzan, #1) The Gods of Mars (Barsoom, #2) The Warlord of Mars (Barsoom, #3) The Land That Time Forgot (Caspak, #1-3)