Start by marking “Escape on Venus (Venus, #4)” as Want to Read:
Escape on Venus (Venus, #4)

Escape on Venus (Venus #4)

Earthman Carson Napier had found his share of adventure on the cloud-shrouded planet of Venus. He had rescued his beloved Princess Duare from one peril after another. But when Carson finally restored Duare to her home in the lofty kingdom of Vepaja, she was sentenced to death for daring to love a lesser mortal! Once again, Carson rescued the Princess, snatching her from he ...more
Mass Market Paperback, Ace Science Fiction Classic F-268, 254 pages
Published 1964 by Ace Books (first published 1942)

To ask other readers questions about Escape on Venus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Escape on Venus

David Allen
The fourth book in the Venus series displays a certain tiredness; I began losing track of the number of city-states and tribes Carson and Duare blunder into, and as always, coincidences and million-to-one chances abound. Still, ERB's fast pace and dry humor kept me reading.
Derek
Jun 16, 2014 Derek rated it it was ok
Shelves: sword-and-planet
Burroughs is not at his best here. Sections set in the more outlandish lands--fish people, people who grow from plants, people who reproduce by binary fission--are, ironically, the least interesting to read.

Mostly because they follow the same tired formula: Napier and Duare are captured and held by particularly dull-witted enemies, and escape is a slow, enervating process containing more talk than action. It doesn't help that the protagonists themselves seem to take a stupidity pill at the same
David B
Jun 26, 2014 David B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the final novel of Edgar Rice Burroughs's Venus series, stalwart Earthman Carson Napier and his mate, the beautiful Duare, are trying to find their way back to Korva, the country that became their home in the previous book. We follow them from mishap to mishap as they encounter a nation of fishmen, the cult of a strange goddess, a macabre museum whose living exhibits are paralyzed then mounted, and a war between navies of huge land-bound ships on a great plain. The story is episodic, reflecti ...more
John Spencer
Jun 17, 2015 John Spencer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one takes an acquired taste. Very straightforward action written by an E.R.B. who seems to have had a reality check. Obviously influenced by WWII; and for that reason this series is appealing for vastly different reasons than the good old Tarzan and John Carter of Mars tales. Carson Napier has a very distinct Dieselpunk feel to him, ala Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow. Though "Escape" provides an exhausting volume of cliff hangers, I strongly encourage E.R.B. Fans to wade through each ...more
Ailish
Oct 06, 2011 Ailish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic ERB. Plenty of adventure and crazy coincidence. Once again the story ends abruptly and is suddenly wound up in one chapter.
brook
Jun 28, 2016 brook rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The last of the initially-published Venus series (Wizard of Venus was released in the 60s), this one's a bit longer (or feels that way) and is more of the same. There is one interesting thing, though, that stood out quite clearly after reading the first three.

I do not know if it was a result of changing social structure in America (the final book being published during WWII), Burroughs' changing mores, or something else, but the love interest, Duare, who for the first three books was often usele
David Bonesteel
Jun 11, 2013 David Bonesteel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Curtiss
The stories of Carson Napier's adventures on Earth's sister planet are essentially ERB engaging in self-parody of the superior Barsoom stories. These stories are not high art, or even good sci-fi/fantasy; but ERB's Venus stories are fairly good yarns with exotic Venusian locales, fantastic beasts, flamboyant damsels, dastardly villains, and cliff-hanging adventures in which the hero gets the girl and the bad guy meets his (or her) just deserts.

[See, even I can engage in self-parody - see my John
Alex
Apr 07, 2014 Alex rated it it was ok
This was a very disappointing read. I very much enjoyed the first three books in this series, but this one was without a doubt the least memorable. Without giving away any details, literally this book is just about our main character getting enslaved, then escaping, getting enslaved, then escaping, getting enslaved, then escaping, etc. This was very repetitive and boring. I sure hope 'Wizard' makes a huge step up and ends the series with an excellent note. :/
Richard
May 03, 2016 Richard rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mike Resnick's Ganymede books; Del Dowell's Warlord of Ghandor
While I really enjoy these old planet adventure books they can be repetitive and downright tedious. I try to keep in mind, that like this book, it was not meant as a whole novel but serialized into mini-adventures in the pulps. This was not one of Burroughs best, but it was still a great adventure story. In this one you encounter fish people, plant people, amoeba people, and translucent skinned fur wearing cloud people. Oh and of course Carson and Duare are made slaves everywhere they go.
Andy
Dec 16, 2014 Andy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Not his best, but still an enjoyable adventure with Carson of Venus and Duare. Originally serialised as four different stories in the pulp magazine 'Fantastic Adventures' and collected in this book, therefore the plot was episodic and felt similar to 'Llana Of Gathol' from ERB's 'John Carter' Barsoom series. Worth a read if you like the old interplanetary Sci-Fi adventure stories of ERB, Leigh Brackett, Otis Adelbert Kline etc.
Jim
Oct 11, 2012 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jim-s
The Amtor (Venus)series is my second favorite series written by Edgar Rice Burroughs. I used to walk to Grand Central and gather bottles along the side of the road. I would be able to collect enough bottles and turn them in for the deposit for the next book in this (and all of his series)series of books!
Norman Cook
Jul 29, 2010 Norman Cook rated it liked it
Shelves: read-twice, e-book
The fourth and final volume of Burroughs' Venus series is essentially four novelettes, each one describing Carson Napier's capture and escape by various weird races. Among the aliens are fish-people, plant-people, and amoeba-people.
Tawnni
Apr 26, 2013 Tawnni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three and half really. Probably my favorite of the Venus series.
Allen
Jun 02, 2012 Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very nice, clean American fun
Harold
Sep 13, 2012 Harold rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this!
Nicholas Hansen
Nothing really new. Carson and his girl are taken hostage several times, usually three pages after they escaped their last prediciment.
Arwen
Jul 19, 2012 Arwen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Same old, same old, like I said it’s lucky ERB is imaginative enough to make it fun enough that you keep coming back.
Ronald
Sep 19, 2016 Ronald added it
read between 1970 & 1974
Nancy Laney
Venus Book 4
Erik Graff
Oct 14, 2009 Erik Graff rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Burroughs fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
I read this up at grandmother's cottage in Michigan and was somewhat disappointed, not getting into Burrough's Venus books like I did with his Barsoom (Mars) and Pellucidar series.
melvinhiddenelder
Jun 17, 2008 melvinhiddenelder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Great finish to the Venus series, I love Burroughs style!
Sue
Aug 19, 2008 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the Venus series. It's like reading a Star Wars novel but 10 times better. All of the books are quick reads and really fun. Great romance, adventures, and aliens.
Gerd
May 31, 2011 Gerd rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't like it much, the writing is full of racial and gender clichés, the story too predictable. Maybe at an younger age, or at a different time, I might have enjoyed it more.
gazoo
May 31, 2015 gazoo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sluggish. Took 4ever to get thru. But wanted to read it to understand his pre Prince of Mars series writing and the pressing I have has a kick ass cover.
Charles
Jul 18, 2008 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Enjoyable, although I prefer the Barsoom books.
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it it was ok
Aug 17, 2012
Marsh
Marsh rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2010
Thor Christianson
Thor Christianson rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2012
Ken
Ken rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2015
  • Tom Swift and His Rocket Ship  (Tom Swift Jr, #3)
  • Transit to Scorpio (Dray Prescot, #1) (Delian Cycle, #1)
  • The City of the Beast or Warriors of Mars (Michael Kane 1)
  • Lucky Starr and the Oceans of Venus (Lucky Starr, #3)
  • Edgar Rice Burroughs : Master of Adventure
  • The Syndic
  • Enterprise Stardust (Perry Rhodan - English, #1)
  • Subspace Explorers (Subspace, #1)
  • Captain Hornblower R.N.: Hornblower and the Atropos / The Happy Return / A Ship of the Line
  • The Butterfly Tattoo
  • Conan of Cimmeria (Conan 2)
  • Act of Will (Hawthorne Saga, #1)
  • Ole Doc Methuselah: The Intergalactic Adventures of the Soldier of Light
  • Star Gate
  • Visual Guide to Castle Amber
  • Lost Legacy
Edgar Rice Burroughs was an American author, best known for his creation of the jungle hero Tarzan and the heroic John Carter, although he produced works in many genres.
More about Edgar Rice Burroughs...

Venus (5 books)
  • Pirates of Venus (Venus, #1)
  • Lost on Venus (Venus, #2)
  • Carson of Venus (Venus, #3)
  • The Wizard of Venus (Venus, #5)