Start by marking “Peacekeeper (Major Ariane Kedros, #1)” as Want to Read:
Peacekeeper (Major Ariane Kedros, #1)

Peacekeeper (Major Ariane Kedros #1)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  632 ratings  ·  45 reviews
First in a brand new action-packed military science fiction series, meet Major Ariane Kedros—daring pilot, decorated soldier, war criminal.

Fifteen years ago, Ariane Kedros piloted a ship on a mission that obliterated an entire solar system. Branded a war criminal, she was given a new identity and a new life in order to protect her from retribution.

But now, twelve of Arian...more
Published December 2nd 2008 by Roc (first published December 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Peacekeeper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peacekeeper

new_user
Research really does make a difference. After reading a little bit on Laura Reeve's experiences on her website, I believe that it is her experiences in part that help her to craft such convincing bureaucrats, military men, technology, and international treaties.

She includes critical details that someone on the inside might pick up and that add a realistic touch to her inventions. She writes convincingly about the tricks of inspectors -pretending not to speak the language- the concerns of soldie...more
Jeffrey
Feb 05, 2010 Jeffrey rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: military sf fans of espionage rather than war
Ariane Kedros is a a reserve in the Autotomous World's military who is called upon for secret Intelligence missions by Colonel Edones. Her day job is as a N-Space pilot aboard a space ship with Matt Journey, the own of a second generation space exploration vehicle. Ariane Kedros, however, has a secret, several years earlier, she was the pilot on a secret mission, for the Autotomous World's who were engaged in a war with Terra, and her crew deployed a temporal distortion Bomb (TD Bomb), which has...more
Erica Anderson
I have mixed feelings about this book. The main character is a woman who was directly involved in the destruction of an entire universe. She's now a pilot on a geological survey ship, and she's called up for a special mission by the man who gave her a new identity fifteen years earlier. There are some fascinating SF concepts in this book--the difference between humans raised on "generational" ships versus those born on planets; a body control technique mastered by some Terrans; the character of...more
Rich
Jan 30, 2013 Rich rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Grimspace
Recommended to Rich by: You
When I bought the book I had no expectations that I'd end up liking it as much as I did. The reviews by the people I follow really ran the gamut. I was expecting something actiony, cheesy and breezy like a Kris Longknife space adventure that I'd blow thru in a couple of nights. What a nice surprise it was for me to find that it was so much more than what I didn't expect.

The main character was very well drawn: She has a history of addiction, PTS syndrome and genocide(?), so she's coming to the s...more
Eric
Apr 01, 2010 Eric rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Eric by: Reading Group Choice
I’d actually give this story two and a half stars. It’s clear, well written and has a solid pace.

Military science fiction? Maybe. There’s been a lot of debate on the web about that terminology lately, but I think you could just as easily call this a political thriller or a murder mystery. In many ways the sciency portion of the book is as much gimmick as it is necessary to the plot. Outside of the speed of communications this could be set on earth after one country bombed another and are now set...more
Cathy
Solid storytelling, a decent mystery, and lots of details to make it feel real. A bit too much military procedure for me, and way to many acronyms to keep track of, but it's not a military/battle sci-fi book and readers who aren't into that sub-genre shouldn't let that turn them off, just skim past it and focus on the story.

I'm very curious to see how Ari and Matt's big discovery turns out, if there are survivors in the "destroyed" solar system, and what the Minoans really are. I enjoy when the...more
Mardel
cover - On her website, Ms Reeve has notations or quotes up about the "wretched" covers. I kind of like the cover, however the one thing that gets to me is the blond hair - the character has short dark curls, not flowing long blond locks. Also, I don't remember her carrying a large gun anyplace in the book, or even the sequels. But you know - how covers can be. I still like the cover though.

I just love SciFi - especially SciFi with space ships, implants and enhancements, and bigger than life sce...more
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Peacekeeper published by Roc and released in December of 2008 is “The First in a Brand-New Series”. I first heard about the book from Laura Reeve’s sister. We were both attending WorldCon in Denver last August. I wrote the title down and the next day bookmarks were out on one of the display tables. I put the book in my Amazon wish list and purchased it as soon as it was released. While I have been disappointed in many first books I was not disappointed in Peacekeeper. The story is very well writ...more
Liviu
I liked this novel a lot though it's somewhat misleadingly labeled as mil-sf, being more of an adventure/mystery/space opera with the aftermath of a long war ended by one terrible act as background.

Humanity is divided in 2 polities and an independent but essential community. About a hundred years ago, mysterious and seemingly powerful aliens called Minoans because of their culture's resemblance to the ancient one in Knossos contacted Earth.

Veiled and mysterious even now after a century of in...more
James
I seem to have lost all desire to write a review for this book. Why? Because as entertaining as it was, there will be no more beyond what has been published. No. More. I will read all the published books eventually, but I won't be rushing to do so; after all, what's the point in investing in a series that is stopped before it concludes? Still, an entertaining book - Three Stars.

Plot : Three and a half Stars

What makes this announcement that they won't publish any more in the series even more gal...more
Ove
When I picked up this book a couple of months ago we didn’t have a good fit. Now I can’t understand what I had a problem with? It is a very good book!

Laura is a talented world builder, she remind me of David Weber. She has built an universe where the outer colonies , the Consortium of Autonomous Worlds, are dominated by the Greek culture. The alien culture that gave humanity the temporal technology to reach the stars is called Minoans since they share symbols from the Greek equivalent. Now gener...more
Jean Tatro
I usually classify myself as a fantasy person, so it always surprise me when I pick up a sci-fi book. I picked up this one because I follow the blog of the author's agent, and something about it caught my eye. I don't know quite what, since I don't usually care for military scifi.

I'm glad I picked up. The prose had all the complexity, and acronym-heavyness, you'd expect out of both a heavily technological setting and a military setting but was also smooth and easy to read. It was easy to sink in...more
Ascexis
Heidi
Nov 02, 2009 Heidi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: sff
A good bit of world building, an interesting space operaish detective novel. I predicted who the traitor was a little bit too early, but I'll definitely read the next one. Fans of Elizabeth Moon, David Weber, and Ender's Game would probably like it. I like the strong female protagonist, the acknowledgment of difficulty coping with actions during wartime(with less depression than David Feintuch.

Generally a good book. Definitely could see it leading to another few good books, I want to see what ha...more
Justine
so politics. much bureaucracy. wow.

The protagonist had a gun in her hand on the cover. I expected she would actually shoot at something at least once. But nope.

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the politics regarding the aftermath of a war and subsequent disarmament of both warring parties. The idea was interesting, the execution... not so much.

Kathy
Just Ok

This book started out a bit slow. To be honest, there wasn't much action and I wasn't overly impressed by the storyline.

The characters had too much talk and self-reflection for my taste. The action scenes were very few and far between. However, whenever there was an action scene, it was very interesting and did kept my attention.

Unfortunately the sparse action was insufficient to entirely hold my attention and interest; and it took me a long time to get through this book.

But on the plus s...more
Beth
I really enjoyed this novel written by a fellow Colorado author. I don't typically read science fiction, and it took me awhile to feel comfortable in Laura's complex and fully-fleshed-out futuristic world, but then I really got into the story, the political machinations and the--dare I say it, being a mystery author?--mystery of the whole thing. Major Ariane Kedros is a complex three-dimensional protagonist who's not perfect by far, but her flaws make us sympathetic for her and want to root for...more
MB
Love me some scifi. What I don't care for is "hard" scifi where the character development takes a back seat to the technology. I'm pleased to say that's not a problem here.

The world Laura has created is completely fleshed out, but she mostly lets the setting show in a very natural way. As for Ariane Kedros, the main character, she's someone I'll happily read more about. What's not to love? She's absolutely kick-ass, sometimes dark and tortured. And I really enjoyed her relationship with her busi...more
Kelley
I wanted to like this book, the concept and the female protagonist drew me to it. I made it to the end of the third chapter, but I was bored out of my mind. I can't say for certain what the problem was, but I just didn't care about the characters. I think it was too world-building heavy. I have no problem with dropping in the middle of a new world with little explanation beyond context for the jargon/slang. However, this was either too much or the characters/situation just weren't interesting en...more
Sky-guy
I'll admit my bias upfront: I'm a friend of author. But I think I would have liked this in any case. As a first novel in a planned series it does have to spend significant time setting up an alternate future and establishing all the necessary elements. It was fun to learn the jargon and piece together the factions in this particular future. I found it quite original and I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't see where it was going or how it would end. I need to get going on reading the next on...more
Michael Perry
I liked this story. It moved really well, and kept me engaged the entire time... I never wanted to put the book down. It was obvious that Ms. Reeves had military experience from the outsider approach to the main character,Ari, to Ari's civilian boss, Matt and his lack of understanding of military protocol and procedures. Encase the characters in a gripping tale of spies, cold war and mystery and you have a classic. Well done, Ms. Reeves, well done.
Peter McC
Some sci-fi comes a little light on for the science of a space station but not this one. It was a delight to discover a very detailed environment behind this cracking story. Lots of detailed data mining software tucked away in here and a few surprising twists. Add a power female character and you have a book I can really get into.

Looking forward to the next book in the series which I have on order
Zé Manel
This is a weak first book, but still worth reading simply for the promise it shows and growth the author makes during the progress of the book.
It's one of those futures where they have AF instead of Navy ships, which also makes it less enjoyable as a read, but considering the author is ex-AF and the bunker/ICBM on a stellar scale which makes up the base premise of the series, it's readable.
Unwisely
This was one of those books that clearly had a well-thought out universe in the background. Which I totally, totally didn't care about. Yet somehow I got sucked in. To the point where I'm considering buying book 2, because the library doesn't have it.

This is slightly more military, than, say a Vorkosigan novel, but it's also a murder mystery and a few other things. I am intrigued.
Gusto Dave
The author of this title is an RMFW member. For that reason, we do not rate these selections. We’re kind of biased. However, it wouldn’t be right if we didn’t have them on our shelves. And you’ll see this message on any other titles that come from our members. We do hope that you’ll consider reading it, though. ;)

Gusto Dave, Publicity Chair for RMFW
Marianna
I liked this book much more than I thought I would. There was a point where my interest was waning, but then it picked up again. I am very pleased about who the baddie was. I also liked that there wasn't any romance, just sweet denial.

SIDE NOTE: The main character's hair is described as "dark," not blonde, like the cover would lead you to believe.
Circuit
This is Ok. It felt a bit like sometimes reading a text composed of random made up words, some of the story causal points made no sense and were forced to make it plausible. In the end the killer is so obvious it’s not a surprise since the author hints at it the entire book; All in all, not tragic but not great by far. Mediocre
Jack
Dec 23, 2012 Jack rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: skiffy
An above average mil-SF book, the start of a series. The standout pieces are the very strange back-story alternate history (which is only implied), the very alien aliens (always a big plus in an sf story) and the characters (who are interesting, even the good guys).
Paul Phillips
A pretty decent start to a series. Had enough elements in it to keep me reading, although I don't generally read Sci-Fi/Space Operas. Well worth a look, and I will definitely read the second book - if only to see if the writing improves a little bit.
Rachelle
An interesting science fiction novel about duty vs. personal responsibility, justice vs. revenge, and living with guilt. Reeve packs a lot of world-building in her book, with complex and multi-layered relationships, danger, and emotion.
  • Diving into the Wreck (Diving Universe, #1)
  • A Soldier's Duty (Theirs Not to Reason Why, #1)
  • Stardoc (Stardoc, #1)
  • The Outback Stars (The Outback Stars #1)
  • Shades of Dark (Dock Five Universe, #2)
  • Code of Conduct (Jani Kilian Chronicles, #1)
  • Enemy Within (Enemy, #1)
  • Deserter (Kris Longknife, #2)
  • Song of Scarabaeus (Scarabaeus, #1)
  • DarkShip Thieves
  • Hammered (Jenny Casey, #1)
  • The Key
  • Valor's Choice (Confederation #1)
  • A Beautiful Friendship (Honorverse: Stephanie Harrington, #1)
  • Killbox (Sirantha Jax, #4)
  • The Price of the Stars (Mageworlds, #1)
Laura's first novel, PEACEKEEPER, began a series from Roc called THE MAJOR ARIANE KEDROS NOVELS (read more about the series at www.AncestralStars.com). Publishers Weekly calls it a "crisp military SF debut" and says, "Reeve drives the story at a breakneck pace." Laura was a US Air Force officer for nine years, giving verisimilitude to the military flavor of her novels. She currently lives in Monum...more
More about Laura E. Reeve...
Vigilante (Major Ariane Kedros, #2) Pathfinder (Major Ariane Kedros, #3)