The TV Kid

The TV Kid

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Lennie is addicted to television. Even reruns are more exciting than real life, and Lennie likes to pretend he?s the one experiencing the drama. But Lennie?s daydreams lead him into a real situation that could cost him his life?and suddenly he?s in trouble more terrifying and dangerous than anything he?s ever seen on TV. ?Byars infuses the story with her special magic. Len...more
Published January 1st 1998 by Puffin (first published 1976)

Nicole
Another melancholy kids' tale from my favorite children's author. The overall moral (tv isn't real, and you shouldn't take it too seriously) is a bit obvious and heavy-handed, but not enough to ruin the book. The main appeal of the story is in the way Byers paints very specific pictures of surroundings, in a way that sets a particular mood. For example, although I read this book over two decades ago, certain motifs, such as the figurines in front of the inn, and the way the abandoned vacation ho...more
Susan
All Lennie wanted to do was watch TV, and when he wasn't watching TV, he was daydreaming about being on different TV shows. He and his mom and moved around a lot and he didn't have any friends, so the TV was his family and his life. Then a terrible thing happened to him that made him realize that TV was fake and that his life was much more interesting.

This is an okay book with a good moral. I got tired of Lennie daydreaming all of the time about TV shows, though.
Josiah
"All a person can hope to get in this life is one good chance."

—Lennie's mother, "The TV Kid", P. 31

I would give this book two and a half stars, most likely.
Betsy Byars takes some interesting routes in the writing of this volume. A great deal of the story takes place without the aid of dialogue, yet Lennie's personal thoughts carry the narrative well, allowing us to get a glimpse into the mind of a kid faced with a major crisis, and to see just how such events affect his thoughts and feeling...more
Synesthesia
Just finished this again yesterday. Betsy Byars is a good writer. She gets you into a child's head and you sympathize with this child and how they feel. The characters in her books move forward and develop and you know when you get to that last page they've learned a lesson. In this case, young Lennie learns about reality vs. television and learns to prefer reality even though he got bit by a snake.

But to be fair, snakes are not evil. Also, http://firstaid.webmd.com/snakebite-t... if you get bit...more
Becky
Too much tv is a bad thing.
Steven Salaita
I enjoyed this book when I was a kid. (Of course, I don't remember reading anything I hated when I was young. Thankfully, as an adult I've been making up for lost time.) The book didn't deter me from becoming a TV addict, however, but I am kinda scared of rattlesnakes.
Captain Awesome
I didn't enjoy this book one bit. The main Character was too spoiled and annoying that I couldn't get into it let alone like it. It is my personal preference, but for future readers contemplating whether to read this I would suggest to not read this.
Rory
A childhood favorite, and the edition I read often back then. Just reading it again to see what parts of me has changed since then.
Nikki Boisture
Betsy Byars is always a reliable source of good books for the kiddos. This is no exception. Great for the 8-12 age.
Kuhelika
Quite an enigmatic read!! It was a very different sort of book but all the same refreshing!!
Aaron S
it was a good book when i was a kid, and that's all i have to say.
Dawn
Oct 13, 2013 Dawn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Nola Redd
I liked hearing about the rattlesnake bite. I thought it was cool.
Jenn
My kids did not enjoy this as much as I did as a child.
Steven
Good shit when you're 9 years old.
Cws
JAR4-Bya
Lori
Lori added it
Jul 17, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Mini Varghese
Mini Varghese marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Kim R
Kim R added it
Mar 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Betsy Byars has written over sixty books for young people. Her first published in 1962 and since then she has published regularly. Her books have been translated into nineteen languages and she gets thousands of letters from readers in the United States and from all over the world.

She has won many awards. Among them are the Newbery Medal in 1971 for her novel The Summer of the Swans, the American...more
More about Betsy Byars...
The Summer of the Swans The Pinballs Tornado The Midnight Fox The SOS File