Start by marking “The Urban Revolution” as Want to Read:
The Urban Revolution

The Urban Revolution

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  151 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Originally published in 1970, The Urban Revolution marked Henri Lefebvre’s first sustained critique of urban society, a work in which he pioneered the use of semiotic, structuralist, and poststructuralist methodologies in analyzing the development of the urban environment. Although it is widely considered a foundational book in contemporary thinking about the city, The Urb ...more
Published February 11th 2003 by Univ Of Minnesota Press (first published June 3rd 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Urban Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Urban Revolution

Andrew
Jan 06, 2013 Andrew added it
Shelves: theeeeeeory
Writing in the heady days of 1970, Lefebvre was making an impressive contribution to the urban imagination. By rejecting the market-driven and state-driven urbanism of the official account of the city, while also rejecting mainline French Marxist interpretations as structuralist obfuscation, he was pushing into new terrain.

But, unfortunately, I have to conclude that a lot of his recommendations have been gleefully co-opted by the neoliberal ideologues-- something you get the sense he was probabl
Andrea
May 15, 2014 Andrea rated it really liked it
Lefebvre...a great deal of difficult high-philosophy meandering that you plough through and I confess I put this book down three times before finally finishing it. But finish it I did, and thing with Lefebvre is, the gems of insight you find here and there are worth it. I think. But I can't always follow how he gets there, and I've decided that it isn't so important.

Neil Smith's intro does a great job of situating Lefebvre in the intellectual ferment of France post WWI and WWII -- along with hi
Sovatha
Jul 02, 2012 Sovatha rated it liked it
The book deconstructs the myths and legends of urban society and explains some of the major concepts such as urbanization and urbanism. The understanding of these important concepts should be a must read for anyone doing urban research.
Jeremy
Dec 09, 2015 Jeremy rated it it was ok
I really wanted to enjoy this book or find it enlightening in some way as I explore a career in Urban Planning. unfortunately, I simply found it way to philosophical to really understand what Lefebvre was talking about most of the time. Lefebvre's philosophies of urbanism underpin many of the theories I am currently learning but I just really found this text extremely difficult to see those philosophies as they were presented here.
Andrew
Sep 16, 2015 Andrew rated it liked it
A good intro to Lefebvre. Some of the writing is obscure. I still don't know what a "blind field" is, seems unnecessary to put that chapter (2) so early in the work. But I am sure someone has built their career on unpacking that concept, accurately or not. I recommend Chapters 1, 3 and 4.
Katherine
Feb 02, 2008 Katherine rated it it was amazing
A must-read for anyone who thinks spatially, or wants to learn about the importance of space in the city. Lefebvre is stellar and hopeful. His concept of habiting (an idea he later expands upon to call lived space) is so necessary.
Bob
Aug 10, 2009 Bob marked it as to-read
I don't own this - a remind to self to get and read so as to discuss with Tahir
Irina
Aug 20, 2009 Irina rated it liked it
The fourth star is only for being important.
Chiara Missikoff
Chiara Missikoff rated it liked it
May 02, 2016
Miljana
Miljana marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Francis Vraie
Francis Vraie marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2016
Hunter  Price
Hunter Price marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Thomas Doscher
Thomas Doscher marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Ania Ek
Ania Ek marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Holly Wood
Holly Wood marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Leonardo
Leonardo marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Matt Gardner
Matt Gardner marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Onurd
Onurd rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2016
Evelyn
Evelyn added it
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
j
j marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Essam El shafei
Essam El shafei marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Greengoliath
Greengoliath rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2016
Misti
Misti marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Ahmed Mansour
Ahmed Mansour marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
  • Critique of Dialectical Reason, Vol 1: Theory of Practical Ensembles
  • The Civilizing Process
  • Architecture and Utopia: Design and Capitalist Development
  • The Philadelphia Negro: A Social Study
  • Root Shock: How Tearing Up City Neighborhoods Hurts America, and What We Can Do About It
  • Technics and Time, 1: The Fault of Epimetheus
  • Mutations
Henri Lefebvre was a French sociologist, Marxist intellectual, and philosopher, best known for his work on dialectics, Marxism, everyday life, cities, and (social) space. He coined the slogan "the right to the city".
More about Henri Lefebvre...