Start by marking “Bras & Broomsticks (Magic in Manhattan, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bras & Broomsticks (Magic in Manhattan, #1)

Bras & Broomsticks (Magic in Manhattan #1)

3.72  ·  Rating Details ·  8,579 Ratings  ·  575 Reviews
Everyone needs a little magic. Especially 14-year-old Rachel. Not only did her younger sister, Miri, inherit her mother's ample bosom (so not fair), it turns out that her little sis is also a witch! Of course, there's a chance that Rachel is a witch too--maybe her powers just haven't kicked in yet. If only they would . . . in the meantime she's got to suffer being a B-list ...more
Audio CD, 8 pages
Published February 22nd 2005 by Listening Library (first published 2005)

Arlene
Not bad.. just not for me...

Can't seem to connect with the MC and her narrative is not working for me. I loved Mlynowski's book Gimme a Call, but this one is just not my style.

Sorry....

(Note: Did not finish this book. Got to the point where Rachel is plotting to break up her dad's impending wedding with the STBSM by using her sister's new found powers as a witch, and she's also contemplating on how else she can benefit from this situation.)
Simran
Feb 10, 2009 Simran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AWESOME!!!!! So interesting so AWESOME!!!!!!

u guys gotta read it! (NOW!!!)
Mara
The only thing that gets this book two stars is that, rather than sticking to the done-before theme of teenager-suddenly-finds-out-she's-a-witch, Mlynowski switches things up a bit and gives us teenager-suddenly-finds-out-that-her-younger-sister-(and her mother)-is-a-witch.

Why did the magical powers skip Rachel, and go straight to her younger sister, Miri? Her mother explains that it could be because Miri is more mature than her older sister. Rachel demonstrates her lack of maturity throughout t
Arminzerella
You’ve heard this all before – self-absorbed teen girl wants desperately to be A-list, finds a way to get in with that group, starts treating her other friends and family like crap because she must maintain her status or die. Lots of conniving and manipulation and lies, then it all falls apart, girl left with only her wits and a lot of apologies to make all around. Ends abruptly.

That was the general plot line. Except that there's witchcraft. I can’t STAND to read things like this. I know that ba
Alison Lin
Rachel is the main character in this book. it is told in a first person perspective. Miri, Rachel's sister just figured out that she is a witch. Rachel also figured out that her mom was a witch but never told anyone about it. Rachel and Miri tried to get STB(Soon-to-be-step-mother) to say that she hates them and her dad with the truth spell but it didn't work. All she said was how much she loved her dad and the sisters. I think that this book is similar to another book i read which is called Tr ...more
Angela
This book is an insult to every witch series involving teenagers that has ever existed.

Typical book involving teenagers being told not to do something, doing it anyway, and not caring about the consequences. Rachel is the most shallow, selfish character I've ever had the misfortune to read about. Her mind is nowhere I ever want to be again.

Such a waste of a potentially interesting idea.
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

Being fourteen is hard work--and nobody knows that better than Rache Weinstein. She's got a major crush on the two most popular guys in school, Raf and Mick; she's been dumped by her best friend since preschool, Jewel, and instead has hooked up with not-so-popular Tammy; she's got the rhythm of a baboon and so didn't get to audition for her school's all-important fashion show; she's a quasi B-lister instead of a coveted A-lister; her dad is getting ready to mar
Erin
Oct 18, 2010 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
First off I have to start by saying that Sarah Mlynowski is a genious. I have read many books of hers in the past, though most of them have been her women's fiction, this was my first YA novel of hers and even though I rated it at 3 stars, I still really enjoyed it, but I think it lacked in a few aspects.

I thought this book started off great. The characters in this story are awesome. I really liked Rachel as the main character and Miri is quite possibly the coolest young witch around. I even lov
Jessica
What a humorous book! I don't know if I was supposed to find this book as funny as I did, but I laughed so often, I'm sure my family thought I was crazy!
Rachel & Miri get into such trouble trying spells when they're not supposed to and the side effects they see are just hilarious. The fact that these girls are quite young and navigating this new world (although Rachel is doing it though Miri) made it even more funny because the problems they saw as so big were not nearly so big.
I did think t
Regitze
The book was sweet and nice, but it definitely made me never want to be on a stage again...
Bethany Miller

Bras & Broomsticks by Sarah Mylnowski hilariously blends the supernatural with the realities of the popularity contest that is present in every high school. Rachel can't believe her luck when she finds out that her little sister Miri is a witch. Though she's miffed that her little sister inherited this power from their mother and she did not, she quickly thinks of ways that she can use her sister’s power to her own advantage. Primarily, she wants to become more popular and get Raf,
Isabella
Apr 17, 2013 Isabella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes I ask myself why I like Sarah mlynowskis books. Because I do. I like them A LOT. It's not as I can identify with the main character. She's often a girl who doesn't overthink like I tend to do, who's rather confident and very much of a teenage girl stereotype. She knows she looks good , she's incredibly selfish and she's ready for fun.
Which is not me at all. If anything I'm more like Miri.

But I do like them. Oh god do I like them. Maybe because they're different from me. Probably becau
Lucille
Jun 22, 2009 Lucille rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
In one word, the plot was tired. This book has been done so many times, with so many variations of the one simple plot structure: Girl is a loser. Girl finds a way to make herself not a loser with careful scheming and manipulation. Girl drops her true friends for popularity. Everything fails miserably in the end. Girl's new life falls to pieces. Old friends are nice and come back to her in the end.
The only twist on this old story was the magical aspect, and even that didn't really make it all t
Emily Hunholz
I have never disliked a narrator more than I disliked Rachel, the whiney, self-absorbed, superficial teenager who finds out that her sister Miri is a witch. Rachel convinces her sister to use magic to improve her own life, and surprise, surprise, everything gets messed up. Because of Rachel’s selfishness, she dumps her best friend and sabotages her dad’s wedding. Every time she hurts someone else, she has an excuse for why it’s okay. I found myself hoping for bad things to happen to Rachel, and ...more
Dhfan4life
Yea, although I love me a good witchy storytelling in my stories at times. And even using magic. I was not a fan of the MC being such a liar and a manipulator. And even one of the worse big sisters I have ever read about in a book in a while. And even while things fell through for her in the end. And she was feeling bad. She was coming back around to wanting to use her sister again. Ugh so not a fan.
Joanna
I read this book back to back with the sequel. First, the magic in this book actually plays a much smaller role than I expected and seems less creatively handled than I would have liked. Nonetheless, I thought the trick of narrating the story from the sister of the witch rather than the one with powers was clever. Overall, a decent young adult novel, but not great and no especially interesting narrative voice or plot twists.
Jessica
Jun 11, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is honestly one of the funnier books I have read, granted I read it when I 13 or 14 but to this day I still use Rachel's saying of "Yahoo to the power of two!" I knew this book wasn't the next great American novel- it's a silly fast read so to expect more is foolish.

Rachel bothered me at times but the laughs that I had while reading the whole series made it all worth while! So my suggestion would be if your looking for a light silly read try it! If not look else where!
Amalie
Nov 19, 2014 Amalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read these books when I was younger and I had totally forgotten how much fun they are! Rachel must be, without any doubt, the most selfish girl ever - But she does indeed have some hilarious thoughts about her life, boys and her friends - Such a great book, can't wait to read the rest the books!!
Lisa
Sep 20, 2007 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya, young_ya
Rachel's little sister, Miri, is a witch. (Apparently it runs in the family - her mom's one too. ) Rachel tries to use this to advantage by having her sister cast spells to break up dad's pending wedding to wicked stop mom, make her popular, and possibly get some boobs.

Emily
Oct 07, 2016 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well... If I were ever to teach middle school again, this would definitely be on the shelf for middle school girls. If you're out of high school (and not a teacher), I would not recommend this one.

This book was fun! I loved the character Miri.
Scribblegirl
Trite, predictable, and with a main character so shallow that if you filled her with water, you couldn't get a puddle out of the deal. Spilled milk has more depth. I weep for the state of teen fiction that this not only got published, it's the first of a multi-book series.
Amy
Oct 01, 2010 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars
A cute, funny book. It got a little frusturating and annoying in the end, but it was still a fun read. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to read something light.
Becky
Apr 04, 2011 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in Grade 6 but thought it was pretty boring!! I thought it was just a story that went on and on and nothing happened! I wouldn't recommend this to anyone
Tramya
Nov 22, 2016 Tramya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is very funny it made me happy and curios at the same time and i want to read the second book now to see what happens next in the chapters.
Rebecca Skye
Sep 01, 2016 Rebecca Skye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was fun! It might have been a little young for me but I found it really humorous, well written and easy to read.
Deniz
Jan 01, 2013 Deniz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was fun cute and light - just like the doctor ordered!
Mallory
Nov 26, 2007 Mallory rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls
Very funny. Very well written. I couldn't put it down!
Ian Wood
This is the complete review as it appears at my blog dedicated to reading, writing (no 'rithmatic!), movies, & TV. Blog reviews often contain links which are not reproduced here, nor will updates or modifications to the blog review be replicated here.

I was going to rate this warty, but my son overruled me! He claims it's a worthy read!

This audio CD is read by Ariadne Meyers and she does an acceptable job, but is occasionally annoying.

Quite frankly, this one seemed a bit young for me, but I'v
Weronika
Aug 10, 2014 Weronika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, english
This review was originally posted on my blog LoveThyBook

Sarah seems like such a fun and nice person, she has written many YA books, ones I have never heard of till now, but I already ordered some more because I just like how simple and fun they are.

As I write this review I am watching Sabrina the Teenage Witch, because I just need to satisfy my younger inner self at the moment, and my weird interest in witchcraft. I loved this show, and this book really reminded me of it, mostly just because of
Premium 9 Piece Bra Strap CLIPS 1 1 Sep 15, 2016 10:14PM
To be I think a little crazy where 1 5 Nov 16, 2015 09:33PM
Q&A with Sarah Ml...: The Magic in Manhattan series 8 50 Jun 08, 2012 12:28PM
  • The Salem Witch Tryouts (Salem Witch, #1)
  • Me, My Elf & I
  • Hex: A Witch and Angel Tale
  • To Wish or Not to Wish (As You Wish, #3)
  • Magic's Child (Magic or Madness, #3)
  • Top Ten Uses for an Unworn Prom Dress
  • A Taste for Red
  • Pulling Princes
  • Sabrina the Teenage Witch (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #1)
  • Little Miss Red
  • Haint Misbehavin'
  • All's Fair in Love, War, and High School (Pullman High #2)
  • Temping Fate
  • The Fashion Disaster that Changed my Life
  • Dumped by Popular Demand (The Social Experiments of Dorie Dilts, #1)
  • The Princess & the Pauper
  • Bad Kitty (Bad Kitty, #1)
  • On Location (Secrets of My Hollywood Life, #2)
Sarah was born in Montreal, Canada. After graduating with an honors degree in English literature from McGill University, she moved to Toronto to work for Harlequin Enterprises. While she never met Fabio, she used her romance publishing experiences to fuel her first novel Milkrun.

Since then, Sarah has written four additional novels for adults: Fishbowl, As Seen on TV, Monkey Business, and
More about Sarah Mlynowski...

Magic in Manhattan (4 books)
  • Frogs & French Kisses (Magic in Manhattan, #2)
  • Spells & Sleeping Bags (Magic in Manhattan, #3)
  • Parties & Potions (Magic in Manhattan, #4)