Start by marking “The Icy Hand (Something Wickedly Weird, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Icy Hand (Something Wickedly Weird, #2)

The Icy Hand (Something Wickedly Weird #2)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  152 ratings  ·  26 reviews
THE ICY HAND VOLUME 2 :THE SECOND ADVENTURE IN STANLEY BUGGLE’S SAGA

Even more wicked and weird than the first! Stanley is looking forward to a relaxing winter. After all, nothing could have been weirder than the werewolf curse and plotting pirates he had to face the summer before! Or at least that’s what Stanley thinks; but he has a lot to learn about Cramdon Rock, especia
Published September 30th 2008 by Roaring Brook Press (first published August 2nd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Icy Hand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Icy Hand

Pop Bop
Darkly Humorous and Ghostly Middle Grade Action/Adventure

I very much enjoyed the first book in this series and was curious to see if this second volume was as interesting and fun as the first. I am happy to report that, at least for me, this book was, if anything, better.

In the first volume of this series we met Stanley Buggles, who is a smart, courageous, inquisitive, and clever hero for whom you are happy to root. The setting, the isolated island of Crampton Rock, is creepy and intriguing, wit
Jessica
I received this book for free from the publisher. All content and opinions are my own.

The Icy Hand is the second book in the Something Wickedly Weird series by Chris Mould. I haven't read the first book, but this one provided enough back story that I quickly caught up.

SPOILERS FROM THE FIRST BOOK
Stanley, our young hero, has inherited a large and decrepit mansion from his great-uncle Admiral Bartholomew Swift. During his previous and first visit to Cramdock Rock, an incident with a werewolf, pira
Meadow
Goodness, this is my third time writing this review, it's deleted every other time. Here's to another go.

I read this book to prove a point to myself. I received this book when I was much younger but never really read it. I wanted to show to myself that I could finish it, and I did.

This book had an interesting concept and was enjoyable. The climax, I found, was a bit dull. I am, however, comparing this book meant for younger readers, to books I have read that are meant for older readers. The au
Stephanie
Stanley heads back to Crampton Rock for his winter break, his second visit to the island after inheriting the old mansion from his great-uncle, Admiral Bartholomew Swift. Now Stanley is back with Mrs. Carelli and his crumbling old property. A new friends is made when Stanley is introduced to Daisy, the niece of the old fisherman, Mr. Grouse.

When we last left Stanley at the end of Book One, he had prevailed over a some dastardly pirates and a werewolf then unwittingly set off another chain of eve
Lynsey
A good enough story- I liked Stanley from book 1 and the story pootles on but isn't thrilling.

Possibly a harsh review here as the readership are usually much younger and so it's probably more fit for purpose than I give credit for.
Kat Wells
not as great as the first one but great story line
Emily
Enjoyed every word
Go
Again my husband read this to us as a family. It seemed to start out with suspense and the kids were excited to see what would happen with the Stormbringers. Then it became too slow-paced for my kids and they lost interest. It was lacking action according to my kids. The important events took place far apart from each other. They are vaguely interested to see what happens in the next book.
Terry
This book is about the same as the first in the series. Decent writing style, but the plot leaves something to be desired. I though I'd read two books in the series to see what it's about, but I likely will not read any more. The series is intended for mid-level elementary school children.
Medeia Sharif
The title's great and I love the illustrations. There is a story here, but something was missing. The plot could have been juicier. Also, the pacing was so fast at times that things didn't sink in with me. I'm still curious about the rest of the series, though.
Molly
I enjoyed the second book just as much as the first! The adventure continued and this time you get ghosts and pirates and you still have a talking fish. Again a really fun story and plenty of great adventure to carry you through. Grades 3+
The next exciting installment of Something Wickedly Weird in which Stanley Buggles does not lose his head but does lose a number of things which have become important to him.... and there are all sorts of hints of things to come.
Angie
Not quite as fun or believable as the first ... but still interesting enough to make me keep reading. And wondering about book 3. Lucky part about finding a book series late in the game? I've already got it. ;)
Natlukens
I really like this series and I love the artwork. These don't play out like books for kids, they have real creepy elements and at times don't seem as if you are reading something for a much younger audience.
Ryan Elson
The Icy Hand is a funny and spooky book by Chris Mould. Stanley Buggles is visited by his uncle's ghost and goes on a mission to find his uncle's head.
I enjoyed this book it was funny in parts.
Malcolm says: "It was also like a comic, like Wooden Mile, and also, I really liked The Stormbringers. They were kind of like Pirate-Hunters, and I really, really like pirates."
Neville Ridley-smith
These books a fine as far as they go. The problem is, they don't feel real or immersive. Everything happens too quickly and the sense of place is not evoked very well.
Pageturner
it was really good I loved this book I'm readying the 3 and the 4Chris Mould
*Queen Diva*
I really like the illustrations in these books! The second book in the series was just as fun as the first. Quick, easy read with some really great characters!
Guy
Another good bedtime story to read to the children. We anxiously wait for the third installment in the Something Wickedly Weird series.
Emma
Jun 24, 2013 Emma rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kids 7 and up!
Shelves: read-in-2013
I really enjoyed this book, The Icy Hand, because it was filled with mystery! I never knew what was coming next and I really enjoyed that.
Ariana
this book wasn't has good as the first book. hopefully the third book will be better. i don't think you should read it.
Pernilla Henriksson
this book didnt my son like at all
Kelli Venier
These are my new favorite series!
Manecita
Muy entretenido
Shanice Fulton
Shanice Fulton marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
  • Game Over, Pete Watson
  • The Sword in the Grotto (Araminta Spookie, #2)
  • Dragon Puncher
  • Elliot and the Last Underworld War (Underworld Chronicles, #3)
  • Medusa Jones
  • Stuart's Cape
  • Homework Hassles (Ready, Freddy!, #3)
  • The Adventures of Sir Lancelot the Great (Knights' Tales, #1)
  • The Dragon of Doom
  • No Such Thing as Ghosts (Dragonbreath, #5)
  • Benjamin Franklinstein Lives!
  • Once Upon a Royal Superbaby
  • Beanworld, Vol. 1: Wahoolazuma!
  • How to Grow Up and Rule the World, by Vordak the Incomprehensible (Vordak #1)
  • Beware! It's Friday the 13th (Dragon Slayers' Academy, #13)
  • What REALLY Happened to Humpty?: From the Files of a Hard-Boiled Detective
  • Super Burp! (George Brown, Class Clown, #1)
  • Wolf! Wolf!

Chris Mould is the illustrator of Captain Beastlie’s Pirate Party, written by Lucy Coats. Chris went to art school at the age of sixteen. During this time, he did various jobs, from delivering papers to washing-up. He has won the Nottingham Children’s Book Award and been commended for the Sheffield. He loves his work and likes to write and draw the kind of books that he would have liked to have on
More about Chris Mould...
The Wooden Mile (Something Wickedly Weird #1) The Darkling Curse (Something Wickedly Weird, #4) The Silver Casket (Something Wickedly Weird, #3) Smugglers' Mine (Something Wickedly Weird, #5) The Treasure Keepers (Something Wickedly Weird, #6)