Start by marking “The Icy Hand (Something Wickedly Weird, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Icy Hand (Something Wickedly Weird, #2)

The Icy Hand (Something Wickedly Weird #2)

THE ICY HAND VOLUME 2 :THE SECOND ADVENTURE IN STANLEY BUGGLE'S SAGA

Even more wicked and weird than the first! Stanley is looking forward to a relaxing winter. After all, nothing could have been weirder than the werewolf curse and plotting pirates he had to face the summer before! Or at least that's what Stanley thinks; but he has a lot to learn about Cramdon Rock, especia
Published September 30th 2008 by Roaring Brook Press (first published August 2nd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Icy Hand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Icy Hand

Pop Bop
May 24, 2014 Pop Bop rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Darkly Humorous and Ghostly Middle Grade Action/Adventure

I very much enjoyed the first book in this series and was curious to see if this second volume was as interesting and fun as the first. I am happy to report that, at least for me, this book was, if anything, better.

May 13, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was amazing

In the first volume of this series we met Stanley Buggles, who is a smart, courageous, inquisitive, and clever hero for whom you are happy to root. The setting, the isolated island of Crampton Rock, is creepy and intriguing, with lots of odd aspects. The supporting characters are some
Jessica
Aug 28, 2008 Jessica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-copy
I received this book for free from the publisher. All content and opinions are my own.

The Icy Hand is the second book in the Something Wickedly Weird series by Chris Mould. I haven't read the first book, but this one provided enough back story that I quickly caught up.

SPOILERS FROM THE FIRST BOOK
Stanley, our young hero, has inherited a large and decrepit mansion from his great-uncle Admiral Bartholomew Swift. During his previous and first visit to Cramdock Rock, an incident with a werewolf, pira
Stephanie
Oct 26, 2010 Stephanie rated it liked it
Stanley heads back to Crampton Rock for his winter break, his second visit to the island after inheriting the old mansion from his great-uncle, Admiral Bartholomew Swift. Now Stanley is back with Mrs. Carelli and his crumbling old property. A new friends is made when Stanley is introduced to Daisy, the niece of the old fisherman, Mr. Grouse.

When we last left Stanley at the end of Book One, he had prevailed over a some dastardly pirates and a werewolf then unwittingly set off another chain of eve
Kevin
Dec 30, 2014 Kevin rated it it was ok
Went ahead and read this second book in the series since even though I wasn't all that impressed with the first. Same reaction here, while there are some creative aspects, and the illustrations add to the fun, the series just seems too simple and kind of flat. The lead character in particular is not all that compelling. Again with the caveat that this is a chapter book for early elementary reader so perhaps my expectations are off.
Yannie
I can hardly remember ever reading this but it's a great book! My friend has a hardbound copy of this when we were freshmen and the whole class seemed to have taken an interest with it. I really love the adventure and the spookiness of the story, plus the fantastic illustrations and splendid artwork!
Go
Aug 25, 2012 Go rated it it was ok
Again my husband read this to us as a family. It seemed to start out with suspense and the kids were excited to see what would happen with the Stormbringers. Then it became too slow-paced for my kids and they lost interest. It was lacking action according to my kids. The important events took place far apart from each other. They are vaguely interested to see what happens in the next book.
Molly
I enjoyed the second book just as much as the first! The adventure continued and this time you get ghosts and pirates and you still have a talking fish. Again a really fun story and plenty of great adventure to carry you through. Grades 3+
Natlukens
Oct 25, 2012 Natlukens rated it really liked it
I really like this series and I love the artwork. These don't play out like books for kids, they have real creepy elements and at times don't seem as if you are reading something for a much younger audience.
The next exciting installment of Something Wickedly Weird in which Stanley Buggles does not lose his head but does lose a number of things which have become important to him.... and there are all sorts of hints of things to come.
Lynsey
Jan 30, 2014 Lynsey rated it it was ok
A good enough story- I liked Stanley from book 1 and the story pootles on but isn't thrilling.

Possibly a harsh review here as the readership are usually much younger and so it's probably more fit for purpose than I give credit for.
Katie
Aug 03, 2013 Katie rated it it was amazing
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ for Something Wickedly Weird: The Icy Hand by Chris Mould. Stanley inherited Candlestick Hall from his Great Uncle Admiral Bartholomew Swift. Stanley and best friend Daisy have to save Candlestick Hall from his uncles former enemies. And save the town from a Werewolf. ...more
Medeia Sharif
Nov 29, 2013 Medeia Sharif rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
The title's great and I love the illustrations. There is a story here, but something was missing. The plot could have been juicier. Also, the pacing was so fast at times that things didn't sink in with me. I'm still curious about the rest of the series, though.
Terry
Jun 25, 2009 Terry rated it liked it
This book is about the same as the first in the series. Decent writing style, but the plot leaves something to be desired. I though I'd read two books in the series to see what it's about, but I likely will not read any more. The series is intended for mid-level elementary school children.
Angie
Oct 03, 2013 Angie rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fic
Not quite as fun or believable as the first ... but still interesting enough to make me keep reading. And wondering about book 3. Lucky part about finding a book series late in the game? I've already got it. ;)
Emma
Jun 24, 2013 Emma rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kids 7 and up!
Shelves: read-in-2013
I really enjoyed this book, The Icy Hand, because it was filled with mystery! I never knew what was coming next and I really enjoyed that.
Guy
Another good bedtime story to read to the children. We anxiously wait for the third installment in the Something Wickedly Weird series.
Miss Ryoko
Feb 09, 2011 Miss Ryoko rated it really liked it
I really like the illustrations in these books! The second book in the series was just as fun as the first. Quick, easy read with some really great characters!
Neville Ridley-smith
These books a fine as far as they go. The problem is, they don't feel real or immersive. Everything happens too quickly and the sense of place is not evoked very well.
Pageturner
May 01, 2013 Pageturner rated it it was amazing
it was really good I loved this book I'm readying the 3 and the 4Chris Mould
Alexa
Jul 19, 2015 Alexa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not much....poorly written in my opinion and it is more of a kids' book. The idea is nice but some scenes seem too rushed and they lack that excitement.
Nov 15, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Malcolm says: "It was also like a comic, like Wooden Mile, and also, I really liked The Stormbringers. They were kind of like Pirate-Hunters, and I really, really like pirates."
Ryan Elson
The Icy Hand is a funny and spooky book by Chris Mould. Stanley Buggles is visited by his uncle's ghost and goes on a mission to find his uncle's head.
I enjoyed this book it was funny in parts.
Rosanne
Rosanne rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2013
Anna Wade
Anna Wade rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2014
Jason Hollenberger
Jason Hollenberger rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2013
Rasmus Gråberg
Rasmus Gråberg rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2015
Maria
Maria rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2014
Pernilla Henriksson
Jan 12, 2014 Pernilla Henriksson rated it did not like it
this book didnt my son like at all
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Game Over, Pete Watson
  • Elliot and the Last Underworld War (Underworld Chronicles, #3)
  • The Sword in the Grotto (Araminta Spookie, #2)
  • Pilot & Huxley: The first adventure
  • Prince of Underwhere
  • The Great Pet Escape
  • Charlie Small 1:  Gorilla City
  • The Clue in the Recycling Bin (The Boxcar Children, #126)
  • Brains For Lunch: A Zombie Novel in Haiku?!
  • Stuart's Cape
  • Dragon Puncher
  • The Dragon of Doom (Moongobble and Me #1)
  • Super Chicken Nugget Boy and the Furious Fry
  • Z. Rex
  • Take Me to the River
  • Ratscalibur
  • Medusa Jones
  • The Smoky Corridor (Haunted Mystery #3)

Chris Mould is the illustrator of Captain Beastlie’s Pirate Party, written by Lucy Coats. Chris went to art school at the age of sixteen. During this time, he did various jobs, from delivering papers to washing-up. He has won the Nottingham Children’s Book Award and been commended for the Sheffield. He loves his work and likes to write and draw the kind of books that he would have liked to have on
More about Chris Mould...

Something Wickedly Weird (6 books)
  • The Wooden Mile (Something Wickedly Weird #1)
  • The Silver Casket (Something Wickedly Weird, #3)
  • The Darkling Curse (Something Wickedly Weird, #4)
  • Smugglers' Mine (Something Wickedly Weird, #5)
  • The Treasure Keepers (Something Wickedly Weird, #6)