Start by marking “The Plan” as Want to Read:
The Plan

The Plan

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  271 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
The selling of the president is an assignment that could salvage TV producer Ryan Bolt's damaged life and career, But Bolt doesn't know whom he truly serves. And by the time he finds out, it may be already too late...for one nation under siege.
Paperback
Published July 1st 1996 by Avon (first published May 28th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Plan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Plan

Justin Mahaffie
Mar 10, 2010 Justin Mahaffie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Justin by: Diallo
Eh...My friend (who started me reading Cannell) told me that this was his best book, and got me really excited to read it. My expectations were very high at the beginning, especially having recently finished King Con (also by Cannell, and a really good read). For me, it was just somewhat unoriginal. How many tv shows/movies/books have done the "mob financing politicians" angle? I found myself wanting to get to the end, and not because I wanted to see what happened - but so that I could get it of ...more
John
Jan 06, 2012 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Despite the weak title, boring cover art, and the fact that this is Cannell's debut novel, THE PLAN is actually a superb thriller. In fact, though it's not his most entertaining work, it's probably his best-constructed story and contains some of his strongest writing. The plot certainly is not too far-fetched, and Cannell presents an all-too-believable scenario as to how a hijacking of an American presidency could conceivably take place. This book shows beyond a doubt that Cannell was right to g ...more
Dennis
Jan 26, 2013 Dennis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I miss Stephen Cannell as a writer he was great, as a TV producer he was second to none. But, I miss the man, he was just a good man.
Diana H.
Feb 16, 2014 Diana H. rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
WOW...a really great thriller type book.

Cannell's characters are at once believable and unbelievable. It's hard for ordinary folks to think in the diabolical way that the main villain in this story does, but I guess that's what makes the plot so interesting.

Mickey Alo is the son of a mob boss. After his father's death from (surprisingly enough natural causes), Mickey becomes the "head of the family."

Ryan Bolt is Mickey's childhood friend, who doesn't realize that:
1) Mickey's dad is all mobbed u
Space
Apr 10, 2013 Space rated it liked it
My least favorite part of this book was the title. Seriously. The Plan? How gay is that? Fortunately, it wasn't my first Cannell to read - even though it was his first to write. I read King Con firstly, and found I liked the author quite a bit. Other than the title, this book wasn't half bad.

For his first endeavor into novelism, (you like that word?) Cannell did a good job planning this one out - because it's obvious there was a lot of planning involved here. To keep up with stories as large-sca
Patrick Shelly Jr
Creepy idea, and brought some ligt to the people behind the scenes. Slmetimes you have to wonder who is really pulling the strings to some important people. This book was about the Presidential candidate having his strings pulled by the Mob. Far fetched... Or is it? Some how, this seemed too possible. (Not implying anything about our current President, just wanted to clarify that!)
Ed
Feb 08, 2016 Ed rated it liked it
Shelves: crime, thriller, political
Thriller - Mobster Mickey Alo's sister Lucinda, his college roommate Ryan Bolt, fired FBI agent Sol Kazorowski and ex-investigative reporter Cole Harris, attempt to prevent Alo and crooked TV network owner from getting weak RI governor elected President.
Nancyduffy13
Jan 31, 2016 Nancyduffy13 rated it really liked it
This book had many similarities between the plot and the 2016 election. Kind of amazing.
The resolution of the problem involved a lot of unbelievable luck in finding just the right person to help, but I enjoyed the book.
Alison
Dec 29, 2015 Alison rated it liked it
I really don't remember this one but it's in the back of my closet with my initials in it so that means I read it.
Michael Burkett
Mar 18, 2016 Michael Burkett rated it liked it
Kai Palchikoff
President campaign intrigue
Fredrick Danysh
Jul 12, 2013 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
Organized crime started a plan to elect their own president to neuter the RICO Act and the Justice Department. They groomed their candidate for twenty years but then killed him when he tried to cut them out. The mob came up with a last minute candidate and hired unemployed writer Ryan Bolt to do a documentary to boost the candidate. When Bolt discovers the plan a contract is put out on him and a the sister of a mafia boss tries to save him. There is some explicit sex.
Barrington Library
If you like the original A-Team, Wiseguy or Rockford files, you will enjoy this book. It is full of mystery, espionage, and adventure. you never know what is going to happen next. It keeps you on the edge of your seat.

Ellen - staff
Irving Milbury
May 21, 2013 Irving Milbury rated it liked it
As a die-hard Cannell fan, I was underwhelmed with the writing. There were no Shane Scully zingers and the plot moved slowly. That said, the story was worth reading, if a little cliché...
MariMel
Mar 17, 2012 MariMel rated it liked it
Monica
Aug 17, 2010 Monica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hard to identify with any of the characters. Good and evil was too black and white preventing the reader from experiencing any true suspense.
Michele
Apr 20, 2012 Michele rated it really liked it
I found this book interesting and very realistic. I could easily see "the plan" being put into effect or perhaps it already has been!
Joe O'c
Aug 27, 2009 Joe O'c rated it really liked it
Excellent; writer, ex-FBI agent, and Mafioso's daughter try to keep Mafia backed candidate from the White House.
Alicia Cayab
Feb 03, 2013 Alicia Cayab rated it really liked it
It was very well written. It's a page-turner, but the story is trivial.
Walter Straus
Dec 20, 2010 Walter Straus rated it did not like it
no plot, disjointed, do not waste you time on this one.
Jeffrey Hammerhead
May 10, 2012 Jeffrey Hammerhead rated it liked it
Interesting plot line. A good read.
Toesnorth's mom
Nancy
Aug 18, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it
Nancy - 4 stars
Zare
Zare marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Nancy Duttinger
Nancy Duttinger rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Jeff Hammer
Jeff Hammer marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
  • The Takeover
  • Double Jeopardy
  • Shadow Flight
  • The Leader And The Damned
  • Brothers
  • Hard Target (Gideon Davis, #2)
  • The Shadow Box
  • The Advocate's Devil
  • The Omega Theory (Final Theory, #2)
  • The Berkut
  • The Betrayed
  • The Thursday Friend
  • The Splitting Storm (The Storm Series #1)
  • Lords of Corruption
  • Die Twice (David Trevellyan, #2)
  • Death Penalty (Charley Sloan, #2)
  • Absolute Zero (Phil Broker, #3)
  • Falcon Seven
Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) in 1994.

An Emmy award-winning writer/producer and Chairman of Cannell Studios, Cannell overcame severe dyslexia to become one of television's most prolific writers. In a highly successful career that spans three decades, he created or co-created more than 40 shows, of which he has scripted more than 450 episodes and produced or execu
More about Stephen J. Cannell...