Start by marking “A Sister's Test: Large Print” as Want to Read:
A Sister's Test: Large Print

A Sister's Test: Large Print (Sisters of Holmes County #2)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  1,383 ratings  ·  87 reviews
Published January 1st 2008 by Barbour Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Sister's Test, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Sister's Test

Margaret
I'm really struggling with reading this series. This is the first (meaning this series) of Wanda Brunstetter for me to read and I'm just not sure what I think. I have read various authors of Amish Christian Fiction over the years, as well as many history books of the Amish dealing with my quilting addiction. I have never heard before of the Amish so often going to a Dentist, or Chiropractor, sure I've heard of them seeing a Doctor or go...more I'm really struggling with reading this series. Thi ...more
mary Ethington
there were parts of the book that were better then others. The overall book I liked and I definitly wanted to see what happened. It didn't answer all my questions, so on to the next one.
Lorie
Ellen
Book 2 of the Sisters of Holmes County Series ... since the books really do begin where the previous one ends, I suggest reading in order. Again, a very easy and quick read.
Susan
I liked this one better than the first one. There's still some of the very basic dialog in it, especially in the beginning, but it's not as preachy as the first one. It doesn't feel as driven to force the moral on the reader...it's more natural. And of course as we get to know the characters better, it's more interesting to read. This one was quite a bit more...sad I guess. It was expected if you read the synopsis, but it didn't stop me from feeling a bit gutted. But all's well that ends well. L ...more
Kristin
'A Sister's Test' is book two in the Sisters of Holmes County series
by Wanda E. Brunstetter. Given my less than steller review of book
one, 'A Sister's Secret', I was a little wary about reading this. I am
glad I gave it a chance, however. There are still a few qualities of
the book that I find annoying, such as repetitive explanations and
defining the Amish words in the text rather than utilizing a glossary.

This story follows the middle sister, Ruth and her speedy romance
and marriage to Martin. Wh
Jessica
The story follows Ruth, the middle daughter of the Hostettler family, as she is courting and then married to her beau. The plot continues where Book 1 left off with the attacks on the family still continuing by an unknown perpetrator.

I have to admit I peeked ahead in this one, but it was an accident–honest! I was just trying to see how many pages the story was without the ads, author bio, etc in the back of the book and I saw a detail that turns the story in a way I wasn’t expecting and didn’t w
Margaret
I'm really struggling with reading this series. This is the first (meaning this series) of Wanda Brunstetter for me to read and I'm just not sure what I think. I have read various authors of Amish Christian Fiction over the years, as well as many history books of the Amish dealing with my quilting addiction. I have never heard before of the Amish so often going to a Dentist, or Chiropractor, sure I've heard of them seeing a Doctor or going to the hospital under extreme circumstances, but it is ...more
Kasi Lou
Sit back with a warm cup of herbal tea and sink into the relaxing pleasures of a story from an Amish community, virtually insulated from the fast pace of modern life. Meet Ruth Hostettler and discover how even a cocoon of tradition cannot protect the Hostettler family from unjust evil in the world. Watch as generations of faith struggle to stand firm and one woman's dreams are put to the test.

My Review - I loved how this book played on the first book and it kind of just kept going. I can't wait
Brenda
I found this book to be very suspenseful, because of the poorly written blurb on the back, you know something bad is going to happen and it does, several times in this book. One, the attacks that started in book one of this series A Sister's Secret, continue on throughout the series, two people die in this book, one is expected from the blurb on the back, we expect it so much in fact that it ruined the moment when it finally happens, would have been much better for it to have some as a surprise ...more
Amy Riccio
Just as predictable as the initial book in the series. I don't even know why I am reading them. They are just filler books while I wait for the good ones. I guess these books make me appreciate the great ones that come along.
Mayda
In this second novel in the Sisters of Holmes County series, acts of vandalism continue to plague Grace and her family. They take a deadly turn when the buggy in which Ruth and Martin are riding is rammed by a truck. The sheriff has no clues to the perpetrator and the vandalism continues. Tragedy seems to have moved in to stay in what was a peaceful Amish community. As the residents, Amish and English, pull together to offer support, it seems that a peaceful happiness remains elusive as bad thin ...more
Carolyn Sherry
The characters just come to life in this book. Know the area and can picture them in the different stores and restaurants that are mentioned. If you like "Amish" fiction this is a must read series.
Becky
I liked this book. It's a continuation of A Sister's Secret, so you should read them in order, or you'll be lost. We still don't know who is attacking Ruth's family, but I suspect it's the neighbors. I look forward to book three to see if they are guilty or not.
Gail
Lueann Sawyer
the turns and twist and the continual mystery of who has it out for Roman and his family...really disappointed that there still hasnt been a reason for Martins death....really?!?
joyce lynn
WOW!!!

and talk about, "when it rains it pours", and/or "feast or famine"?!?!?!

i can identify w/ the characters in this book, even more so than the ones in the first book of this series. unfortunately, i can NOT say that i handled it any better than them! in fact, i don't think i did so even as well as them. %(

thankfully, tho, our God is an awesome God, and He knows our heart, so ...

a GREAT testimony to hope, and forgivenss, and the power of prayer, and faith, and strength, and ...

Paula-O
this book #2 is about another sister Ruth, she is a wonderful caring helping type of person and she marries young and the marriage tragically ends causing Ruth to go through a time of depression and questions her faith. She will find her life again when she makes herself help another member of the community that has lost a spouse and has many children that he needs help with....You won't want to miss this story about Ruth.....I now am anxious to read book #3 and hear the story of Martha
Susan
Having read tow other books by Wanda Brunstetter, I picked this up off the library shelf without reaalising it was in a differnet series to the ones I had read earlier. So I was immediately disappouted not to read more about the fmaily of Abraham, Abby and Naomi. This, book two in the "Sisters of Holmes County" series was a relentless tale of gloom, doom and disaster with attacks on the family of Ruth Hostettler. I am afraid I gave up on it - not something I often do with books.
Dana
I did enjoy this book. I've really been getting into the Amish books because I know that they're safe to read and I' not going to come across any content that I don't want. They also tend to have a happily ever after theme going on, even if there is heartache along the way. (And there is... this author likes death.) One recurring theme in this book - and series - really just annoys me for some reason, but I'm partway through the 3rd book now so I'm determined to finish.
Lesli
This was my favorite book out of the series, even if it was a little predictable. They are cute books in my opinion, the make me want to read more and read quickly to figure out if it is actually as predictable as I expected. I enjoyed it enough that I wanted more story about Ruth, and #2. The book did a fine job in the amount of story, I just wasn't really ready for the love story to end. Yes, it was a slightly cheesy love story, but not gag cheesy, and completely clean.
Jeanie Mccarthy Pityinger
This is a beautiful story filled with tragedy, forgiveness, healing, hope, love, and mystery...I had thought the story would end this way and that they would end up together from the very beginning when I saw how drawn she was to him and his children during their hardship, I never expected her to have to go through so much as the Lord worked in both their lives ...I also have a guess or two as to who 'dun' it and is continuing to terrorize their family...
Samantha Randall
Mary
A moving story of a family's ups and downs while being pursued with violence from an unknown source. Attacks move from aggravation to death when the story takes a twist on Christmas Eve. I enjoyed this a lot and plan to look for a number 3 in this series of Holmes County. A new character was also introduced into the story and I look forward to seeing how she plays into the investigation in this Amish community.
Lori
Another great book by Wanda E. Brunstetter. This is book #2 in the "Sisters of Holmes County" series. This book focuses on Ruth and her struggles through marriage, tragedy and learning to forgive. I can't wait to read the conclusion of this series which is called "A Sister's Hope" Book #3. It focuses on Martha and will hopefully reveal who is behind all the attacks on this family.
Janet C.
Not spectacular but the book held my attention enough to want to read the third in the series.
Synopsis; The Hostettler Family is a target from someone. Buildings exploding, a truck trying to run their carts off the road, bricks being thrown through their windows at night, who could it be and why? The whole family's faith is really put to the test in this series.
Esther
This is one book in amongst a series. A story of an Amish family and Ruth in particular. Her family are being attacked by someone, even to the point where Ruth's husband is killed. Although I would normally enjoy this author, I found this book harder to get into and more tedious. I found it frustrating that we never find out in this book who is attacking the family.
Elizabeth
Much better the the first book I liked seeing what happened next. The story went along better. The first book seemed like it had the samething happening over and over again. I know the first one got better towards the middle but this story was more interesting. I'm off to read the last book. I hope they find the person who has doen all the attacks!
Cathy
A; A very touchging story that hit me on the forgiveness issue. I realized I don't need to just pray for God to grant me peace in my heart and find a way to forgive others, but to ask for forgiveness for not forgiving those who have wronged me. I also liked the reference to Job and how God promises that after our trials we will become gold.
Margaret
Since my trip to Ohio in Oct. I have read a lot of Amish material both fiction and non-fiction. This book is very good but read the first in the series-A Sister's Secret. both very well written with characters you will admire You might think you know who is the one who is terrozing the family but I think you may still be guessing at the end.
  • Wanted (Sisters of the Heart, #2)
  • When the Soul Mends
  • Beginnings (Sommerfield Trilogy #2)
  • Plain Proposal (Daughters of the Promise, #5)
  • The Forbidden (The Courtship of Nellie Fisher, #2)
  • Rebecca's Choice (Adams County, #3)
  • A Hand to Hold (Hearts of Middlefield, #3)
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • Where Grace Abides (The Riverhaven Years, #2)
A nationally recognized authority on the Amish community, Wanda E. Brunstetter has sold more than seven million copies of her fiction and nonfiction books. Wanda enjoys an uncommon kinship with the Amish and continues to visit their communities throughout the country. Her books have won numerous awards and topped several bestselling charts.
More about Wanda E. Brunstetter...

Sisters of Holmes County (3 books)
  • A Sister's Secret (Sisters of Holmes County, #1)
  • A Sister's Hope (Sisters of Holmes County, #3)
The Bishop's Daughter (Daughter of Lancaster County, #3) The Storekeeper's Daughter (Daughters of Lancaster County, #1) The Quilter's Daughter (Daughters of Lancaster County, #2) A Cousin's Promise (Indiana Cousins, #1) A Sister's Secret (Sisters of Holmes County, #1)

“and Dad’s to celebrate Christmas Eve. It was going to be a happy time—her and Martin’s first Christmas together. “No! No! No!” 0 likes
“working for your daed every day was like going to the dentist to get a root canal.” 0 likes